Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-23-2016, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How does X1 compare?

I currently have two ReplayTVs connected to my Comcast service. One is connected to a DTA, so it only gets the basic channels. The other is connected to a Motorola digital converter, so it can get all the premium channels. I'm able to use On Demand using manual recordings from the Line In interface.

Comcast bombards me with offers to upgrade to their X1 system. I've been ignoring them for years, because I remember hearing all sorts of problems people had with Comcast DVRs a few years ago. But I wonder if they've made enough improvements that it's worth considering a switch. Are there any X1 users here who can provide a comparison?

I have an HDTV, but since I currently do everything through RTV I'm not taking advantage of the HD features. I don't really care that much about picture quality -- often when I'm watching TV I'm also on the computer or tablet playing games, not staring at the TV screen. But it would be nice if I got the full picture -- it's getting annoying when there's on-screen text and it's cut off at the sides.

I really like RTV's features for jumping around in the program. Being able to skip ahead N minutes to jump over commercials, or jump to a specific minute in the program without having to use FF/REW. And when I use On Demand, the warning that Fast Forward is disabled doesn't affect me -- I record the whole program to RTV, and then it allows me to do those things just like any other program.

Is there any chance I would be happy with X1, or should I stick with what I've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-02-2016, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmar View Post
I currently have two ReplayTVs connected to my Comcast service. One is connected to a DTA, so it only gets the basic channels. The other is connected to a Motorola digital converter, so it can get all the premium channels. I'm able to use On Demand using manual recordings from the Line In interface.
That brings up an interesting topic for me as I wasn't aware a Replay could control a DTA. Does the IR Blaster attach to the DTA? Are there a guide listings downloaded at all? I'd be happy having a Replay back in service.

Sorry I can't address your X1 issue from a TWC/Charter area.

Arvy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page