Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone with MPEGs experiencing the problems with Sync issues there is a new version of the very cool application GSpot that may be helpful.

Download GSpot 2.2 from doom9.org (on the front page for the date of 5/18 or it's under the software downloads under "AVI Editing tools"

Get this application and unzip the package.

Open GSpot, select Open from the file menu.
Select to show files "Video Media Files (*.avi, *.mov, *.mpg, etc)"
Select a problem MPEG (any will do we just need to find out what codec is being used)
Most of the information in the window will be of no use, down at the bottom there is a pane titled "Direct Show Render" This is what we need to know.

Click the Render button and report back your findings
Video Src Type: Should be MPEG2_VIDEO
Audio Src: Should be MPEG1AudioPlayload
Video Path: (This is what we need to know)
Audio Path: (This is what we need to know)

Provide this info an Rich and I may be able to figure this out. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 04:49 PM

Liked: 10
Cool Name at least.. I'll have to "Find the GSpot"... :)

-= NFW =-
post #3 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 05:33 PM

video path: (S) --> MainConcept MPEG Splitter --> MainConcept MPEG Video Decoder --> (R)

audio path: (S) --> MainConcept MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder --> (R)

My replay files play fine on my pc. But when I create dvd's the audio gets out of sync with the video more and more as the movie goes on.
post #4 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 05:35 PM

I'll download it tomorrow morning and post my results... I have had sub 100ms issues for a while... they seemed to go away _mostly_ on a clean install on a new hd... and got better...

I have also had some luck with the latest womble builds, , but I cant tell how much yet...

tmpgenc demux/remux was my golden fix for a while...

Not affiliated with DNNA
post #5 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 06:03 PM

Video Path (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder --> (R)
Audio Path (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder --> (R)

I get progressive audio sync problems (video ahead of audio) on my pc and on my standalone dvd player.using Mpeg2Cut to lose the first gop, tmpgenc to demux, dvdlab to author/burn. When I use Mpeg2cut to remove commercials, the sync problems are much worse.

In absolutely no danger of hitting 1000 posts
post #6 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm also curious about what working systems show. Really curious is Rich's configuration. =)

One I'm on at the moment...
Code:
V:(S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
A:(S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder --> Morgan Stream Switcher --> (R)
Not sure if this system has the problem or not...

Aaron, I'd suggest the sync after edit is a direct result of Mpeg2Cut. =(
post #7 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Aaron, I'd suggest the sync after edit is a direct result of Mpeg2Cut. =(
Jeff,

The bummer is that mpeg2cut is the only program that has shown an ability to fix the gop headers so that my files are editable in tmpgenc (and presumable other proggies, too, but after dl'ing and running dozens and dozens, I'm trying to cut down :) ). Ulead burned my dvds just fine after reencoding, but they still couldn't be opened in my editing progs.

I'd buy Womble at the new price, but I'm hearing lots of folks with the same sync issues as I have now even using womble.

I sincerely hope we get to the real problem.

A

In absolutely no danger of hitting 1000 posts
post #8 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys,

As usual I'm up to my ears in work. First time I've had a chance to check into the forum in a few days. Here's what I've found on two of my systems:

On the NLE dedicated computer:

Video Source Type {1B81BE0D-A0C7-11D3-B984-00C04F2E73C5}
Audio Source Type MPEG2_AUDIO

Video Path - S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (ATI) --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
Audio Path - (S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> CyberLink Audio Decoder (ATI) --> (R)

Note! This machine has always had some form of capture card in it. The last few years they have been ATI All In Wonder Video cards. Each install of those video cards included ATI's own codecs (the ATI thing has it's own DVD player) All these codecs are OEM'ed by CyberLink who ATI most likely licenses them from.

Also if I use GSpot on a ReplayTV elementary video only stream a different codec kicks in. In that case it uses the Ligos codec. The audio stream makes use of the DirectShow filters for playback.

On my "non-ATI" computer, (Ge-Force N-Vidia thing) everything is running off the Elecard codecs. I do have a ton of other codecs installed for Divv; and mpeg-4 and such as well as some AVI compressors. But the ReplayTV mpegs (and all mpeg-2 for that fact) use the above only.

In the 10 or more years I've been putzing with video, the only audio sync problem I ever had was with (believe it or not) a hardware Mpeg-1 encoder card. I spent about six months and couldn't find the problem. Then by mistake it got fixed. I was working on another problem involving VCD video and re-installed my Windows Media Player. Suddenly after that the hardware mpeg-1 encoder worked perfectly. And did for years after that. This was a few years ago, and I believe I was using Windows for Workgroups (version 3.11) Long ago and far far away in another MS galaxy so to speak. The hardware card was something called a "Snazzi" which was a pretty decent VCD encoder once I got around the audio sync problem. By the way, if I remember correctly everyone told me I could NOT uninstall Windows media player. But somehow (brain is foggy about it) I did and that one thing fixed both my video problem and the long standing audio sync problem.

It's a puzzlement for sure.

Rich
post #9 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 09:36 PM

Hi there,

I've always had sync problems, just downloaded GSpot here is the results :

Video Src Type : MPEG2_VIDEO
Audio Src : MPEG1AudioPayload
Video Path : (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder --> Unspecified VFW codec --> (R)
Audio Path : (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> MPEG Audio Decoder --> (R)

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

AGP

If I am ever put to death on the hook, expect a very human performance.

In any case, there's bound to be much crying.
But the oubliette alone will let you think while dying.
post #10 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've got:

Video Path: (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder --> (R)
Audio Path: (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> MPEG Audio Decoder --> Morgan Stream Switcher --> (R)

I have the ATI AIW 7500 but almost always use Cyberlink's PowerDVD.

Tim
post #11 of 396 Old 05-21-2003, 11:37 PM

(S) --> Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer --> Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder --> (R)
(S) --> Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer --> Moonlight Odio Dekoda --> (R)

Since I discovered fix-time, I have not had audio sync problems at all. Occasionally during playback I notice momentary st-stuttering of the video. I burned "Survivor Amazon" beginning to end and had 5 instances of stuttering in 16.5 hours (minus commercials makes it nearer 12 hours).

There are 10 kinds of people .. those who classify people into groups, and the others (BinaryThink)
post #12 of 396 Old 05-22-2003, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jim... I'm glad that's working for you, but as I've stated a 100 times before... Get rid of the elcard stuff, moonlight is the same company. Remove it, at least that's what I've found causes me many problems. But, if it's not broke don't fix it...

Aaron, look into avisynth, you can get a mpeg filter (mpeg2dec3.dll) that works with avisynth 2.5. Then create a simple script for the mpeg file you want to edit and open the avisynth script file in tmpegenc. Avisynth serves up frames as if it were an avi file, so tmpgenc thinks it's dealing with a avi file and can be happy working on that. I believe I posted a sample script, search for avisynth.

www.doom9.org is a great source for all tools I've mentioned. The link to the mpeg2dec3.dll avisynth filter is http://ziquash.chez.tiscali.fr/

Everyone else... it's looking like the ligos stuff is pretty common, maybe more research is needed.
post #13 of 396 Old 05-22-2003, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, Jim, apparently I don't follow my own words...

Code:
(S) --> Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer --> MainConcept MPEG Video Decoder --> (R)
(S) --> Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer --> Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder --> (R)
How the hell did that get back in my system?!?!?! And... once again, Ligos is the audio codec.... hmmm

And on a file that consistantly gives me problems...
Code:
(S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
(S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder --> (R)
post #14 of 396 Old 05-22-2003, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And to add fuel to the fire....

http://www.darvision.com/product/dvmpeg_compare.html

Seems like someone who knows what they are doing found problems with the ligos stuff.

Quote:
The figure on the right shows that Ligos LSX multiplexer have produced two errors that may be a sufficient reason of audio blip or jerk in the video playback.
(the numbers shown are in 27 MHz clock periods)
post #15 of 396 Old 05-22-2003, 02:47 AM

Jeff .. so i removed the elecard stuff .. then went and installed nimo .. had to disable lameacd to prevent some errors ... and then playing replay files in Windows Media Player results in unable to load codec errors .. the video plays, but moving around in the file is not handled well and sometimes locks up .. so I install Elecard once more ...

now i have
(S) --> Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer --> Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder --> Subtitle Mixer --> (R)
(S) --> Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer --> Moonlight Odio Dekoda --> Morgan Stream Switcher --> (R)

IS there an alternative to elecard that works with Windows Media Player??

There are 10 kinds of people .. those who classify people into groups, and the others (BinaryThink)
post #16 of 396 Old 05-22-2003, 04:32 AM

My config with all of my stuff installed shows the following

(S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> InterVideo Video Decoder --> (R)
(S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> InterVideo Audio Decoder --> (R)

The other 'clean' install on another partitions will not render the video... no mpeg2 playback programs have been installed... just Womble and DMF2....

Not affiliated with DNNA
post #17 of 396 Old 05-22-2003, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Video Path (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder --> (R)
Audio Path (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Audio Decoder --> (R)

Short (under 1 hour) recordings typically are no problem. When they get longer, the audio sync is more noticable. At 1 1/2 to 2 hour recordings, bad audio sync is very noticable. I believe it's the "progressive sync" problem.

Womble is a crap-shoot as far as fixing the audio. My only solution that has worked consistently is the very time-consuming process of GOP fixing in Womble, demuxing the audio and video, deleting the audio and saving the demuxed video, extracting the sound as a .wav file using VirtualDub from the original, re-compressing the audio using CoolEdit, re-muxing the file, and then authoring the DVD. It takes a LONG time, but the sound is perfectly in sync.

-Jim

Visit SageTVTips.com for SageTV tips! MoxiTips.com for Moxi tips! Visit JimsTips.com for my "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide!
post #18 of 396 Old 05-22-2003, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry in advance for my upcoming rambling. Bare with me.

Going though all that work is far too much aggravation in my estimation. I think all of you guys need to get to the situation where you can just

Off load the mpeg.
optionally cut out any commercial content.
Author the DVD.

Comparing all these systems might be one way to solve the problem. And I mean "solve" the problem. Not bandaid it. I see a lot of "fixes" which involve going through a ton of work. A real "fix" would be one that allows you to USE the RPTV as is. Like I have been doing. I'm sure we all appreciate the many "solutions" that work for some and not others. But that's the problem. I've been preaching this for a year now. It is a "system specific" problem. And as many "systems" there are, there are also just as many bandaids. What works for one might work for 2 or 3 others but not everyone.

I'm putting a new system together this weekend. (A 3 gHz Barton Athlon) This is going to replace my old NLE machine. I am building this thing up from scratch and not upgrading as I usually do. So I'll take a lot of notes and write down everything I use. And see if I have a new sync problem.

Again, I've never gotten a single ReplayTV sample from anyone that didn't work perfectly for me. Bottom line .. computer A won't author "MyMovie.mpg" without sound sync problem. Same "MyMovie.mpg" on computer B has NO sync problem.

While demuxing and doing all that stuff can eventually fix it, (and that's okay if you want to do all that) I believe we must do more of what this thread started and try comparing various systems in more detail to see why one works and one doesn't.

This neat utility is a step. But here's what I think. I believe that utility is only going to tell you what codecs are "registered" for any particular video. I believe guys are having trouble because they have too many codecs or other things that are bumping against each other. Let's be honest here. Have you installed any shareware DVD player just to see how it worked and then removed it. Or any editor? Or any media player (like RealPlayer which I avoid like the plague.) My NLE machine is something I protect and am VERY careful about installing things on it. I don't do a lot of browsing with it. I don't have any virus protection. (I check it for virus via the LAN from another computer) No Real Player, none of that "Flash" stuff or dozens of audio compressors etc.

Keep in mind that some guys HAVE had success by simply reformatting their drives and starting from scratch. Which probably gets rid of all the excess garbage that's been building up and causing problems.

Years ago I learned about this with the ATI video cards. If you upgraded or intalled a newer ATI video card it was NOT enough to just un-install the old video card codecs and drivers etc. If you followed normal procedure you ended up with what I used to call "little bits or ATI crumbs" all through out your system. These dlls and other files were never really removed. AND they created big time problems and conflicted with the ATI new files.

I posted a procedure on my web site on how to safely remove all ATI "crumbs" from thoughout the system before you installed the new card. And you know what? ATI technicians were referring people to my site for help. (and they never even offered to pay me either!) <grin>

Well over the years, ATI improved their setup and things are a "little" simplier now. So what's this all mean? Unless you went into the registry and removed all those ATI crumbs and then removed a ton of ATI stuff left over in various Windows system folders and many other things, you would have huge problems getting your new ATI capture card to work. AND GUESS WHAT the BIGGEST problem was? Yup .. OUT OF SYNC audio. And of all those who had that problem, the POST EDIT sync problem was the biggest. They blamed editors. Guys said, use this editor or that one. They blamed the operating system. They blamed the DVD authoring software. They came up with a thousand different fixes. But once they did a "clean install" using my instructions .. 95 percent of them were fixed.

Okay so what's that all mean? It just an example of how you can even have trouble with two video capture cards .. both from the same manufacturer. And the trouble can manifest itself in a hundred different ways .. one being the dreaded audio sync problem.

Now If JUST a change of an ATI card can cause so much trouble, does it also make sense that if you tryed something like PowerDVD, then some other, then maybe the Honesteck editor. Then a trial of a Ulead product. And so on. Remembering that each one you install "might" not fully un-install itself.

Ya jes gotta practice "safe testing" with these computers today. Too many programs are interacting with others. Among other problems things are "registered" in your registry and Billy Gates' operating system is having trouble sorting it all out when those registry "crumbs" are conflicting with some other item.

And yes, I DO putz a lot with various programs testing and such. BUT, I go the extra step and always make an image of my system drive before I install any new media program or device. If it works fine and I decide to keep it .. I'm happy. If I don't want to keep it (for any reason) I don't even bother to remove it. I just restore the image. My system is always clean and I have no problems. Of course this requires a little more time. But then my NLE machine is only for that. I don't have email, or fancy browsers or word processors and all that stuff on it. The imaging is quick. And more importantly, I never have to spend days, weeks (months?) trying to fix various problems.

I'm not saying that's YOUR solution. It's how I operate. But then in the last 10 or 12 years, I have not had to waste "any" time jumping through hoops to fix these now-comon video problems.

I know this is a problem for those of you who only have one computer. But I'll be frank here. And I've got my flame proof suit on. If you want to play with the fancy toys, you should be willing to spend the $$. I've always had a second computer dedicated to multimedia. If I screw it up, there's no worry. My accounting, email and everyday stuff is safe on another computer. It's the only way to go. Right now, the other computer is burning the last two episodes I captured of Stargate while I'm typing this.

By the way. I just installed a new ATI capture card. One of those fancy Radeon 9000 series. The DVD mpeg I get out of that absolutely blows away the best ReplayTV mpeg I've seen. If it weren't simply for the ease of schecduling with the RPTV and the fact that I don't have to leave my CPU going 24/7, I'd be doing all my archiving on the ATI. (which years before the RPTV came around was the way I did it)

Off the soap box. Look to your system for the problem. If you can, get another computer to putz with. Start off with a bare bones system. Add programs one by one .. when you have everything you need to edit and burn your ReplayTV mpegs in less than a 1/2 hour (how long the whole process takes me) then image the drive .. and be happy. Otherwise, I fear you are going to be doomed to audio sync hell.

If you already have a dedicated computer, then make the jump. Reformat the drive and re-install your operating system. Install ONE mpeg codec. Install an editor. Install an authoring package. Make it work. Then burn baby burn. If you must play .. image the doggone system drive first.

Work smart .. not hard.

Rich
post #19 of 396 Old 05-22-2003, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been going through uninstalling codecs and filters to figure out what works... currently I've removed.

ligos
elcard
mainconcepts and others.

I've just reinstalled powerdvd to check this one problem file with just the cyberlink stuff...

The only difference between my system and rich's is the splitter vs demultiplexer

Code:
(S) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> CyberLink Video/SP Decoder --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
(S) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> CyberLink Audio Decoder --> (R)
Now, where to find this demux he's using...

Sorry, Rich I just want to try to match your working system...
post #20 of 396 Old 05-23-2003, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Rich:

That is EXCELLENT information--thanks!

Now, I have two questions:

1. For "one-computer people", one step to try (short of a re-format and re-install) might be to remove all the "unnecesary" codecs. Obviously, this can be a daunting task. In that "gspot" program mentioned above, there is a menu function called "View > Installed Codecs > Video" and "View > Installed Codecs > Audio". My machine here at work (just a base install of W2K per our company's standards) reports about 30 or so entries in the report. My home machine (Windows XP Pro), on which I do my video editing, has about *60* codecs installed.

Can you recommend a "safe" way of removing these codecs without totally mucking things up? Can I just delete the .dll's or is there a facility ti delete them? I understand that this may be a rather unrealistic question because the options are so great, but your experience has proven quite useful in the past, so...

2. For "two-computer people", doing a complete reformat and re-install of an OS probably makes the most sense. My question is two-fold: First, what OS do you recommend for NLE? I can install either W2K or WXP Pro. Second, when installing these OS's, what are your recommendations as to controlling what gets installed? By this, I mean when an OS like WXP Pro installs, a TON of "extras" are installed that I just simply won't use for video editing. What tips do you have concerning either preventing specific apps from installing in the first place or removing specific apps after a clean install. And related to that, what "extras" do you recommend NOT be installed?

Sorry to overwhelm you with these.

Thanks again for your input on this--it is invaluable! And if I am lucky, I may even get an NLE system that works like yours does!

-Jim

Visit SageTVTips.com for SageTV tips! MoxiTips.com for Moxi tips! Visit JimsTips.com for my "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide!
post #21 of 396 Old 05-23-2003, 07:24 AM

Another option is to use a tool that can re-size your windows partition to make space for another partition (if you have enough available space). Then make a clean install into the new partition... Then you can boot into your 'clean' system or your 'daily' system....

Not affiliated with DNNA
post #22 of 396 Old 05-23-2003, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohhnyReplay
Another option is to use a tool that can re-size your windows partition to make space for another partition (if you have enough available space). Then make a clean install into the new partition... Then you can boot into your 'clean' system or your 'daily' system....
OK, that's just a little too obvious! What an excellent idea! My PC has a 40GB "system" drive and an 80GB "data" drive. I know I could just use Partition Magic to create a second partition on the primary drive and install another copy of Windows there.

Now, the question is which version of Windows, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro?

-Jim

post #23 of 396 Old 05-23-2003, 10:43 AM

Used regsvr32 /u to unregister the following :

Mpeg2Decoder.ax
Mpeg2Paraser.ax

Then uninstalled/reinstalled Cyberlink DVD

I had this with GSpot :

Video Path : (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> Ligos MPEG Video Decoder --> Unspecified VFW codec --> (R)
Audio Path : (S) --> Ligos MPEG Splitter --> MPEG Audio Decoder --> (R)

Now I have this :

VPath (S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> CyberLink Video/SP Decoder --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
APath (S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> CyberLink Audio Decoder --> (R)

Still no luck, sync is still out. This is just load in womble, save with womble,
nothing else.

I noticed one thing, my Audio Src : MPEG1AudioPayload changed to
MPEG2_AUDIO.

I tried unregistering quartz.dll (direct sound) but it crashed GSpot so
I re registered it.

If I am ever put to death on the hook, expect a very human performance.

In any case, there's bound to be much crying.
But the oubliette alone will let you think while dying.
post #24 of 396 Old 05-23-2003, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I've been going through uninstalling codecs and filters to figure out what works... currently I've removed.

ligos
elcard
mainconcepts and others.

I've just reinstalled powerdvd to check this one problem file with just the cyberlink stuff...

The only difference between my system and rich's is the splitter vs demultiplexer

Code:
(S) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> CyberLink Video/SP Decoder --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
(S) --> MPEG-2 Splitter --> CyberLink Audio Decoder --> (R)
Now, where to find this demux he's using...

Sorry, Rich I just want to try to match your working system...
No problem. But don't blame me if I disappear a day or two. My new Athlon 3 Gig processor just arrived. Oh boy.

On the demuxer and other stuff in my NLE machine, they were installed when I installed the ATI video capture card. The OEM of the product is Cyberlink. I Cyberlink also makes PowerDVD. I'll bet if you can find a copy of that dvd player software and install it, you'll end up with their codec. As to the encoding part vs the playback, I don't know. Try installing the latest version of PowerDVD from Cyberlink and see if maybe by chance it'll register both the EN and DE codecs. Uh does that make sense? I dunno, it's Friday and I have a three day weekend to build my new "dream" machine.

Rich
post #25 of 396 Old 05-23-2003, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
OK, that's just a little too obvious! What an excellent idea! My PC has a 40GB "system" drive and an 80GB "data" drive. I know I could just use Partition Magic to create a second partition on the primary drive and install another copy of Windows there.

Now, the question is which version of Windows, Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro?
I have three machines all running in my "media room". The main unit for my day to day stuff is an XP Pro system. My home automation machine that is still being sorted out is running Win2K Pro. And I highly recommend Windows 2000 Pro for any NLE stuff. It's all I use. I've had problems with others because I need NTFS for large file size. And XP unfortunately doesn't support some of my odd ball hard ware.

Note .. both the main unit and the NLE machine have removable boot drives. I have several plug in caddies each with a different OS from 98 to XP to Linux and BeOs and Unix. I very seldom change the drives but do from time to time when I want to test something. It's another option and I prefer it to multi-boot systems. Something else to look at .. From Tiger Direct .. there is a product that will allow you to install three drives with any operating systems on them. Then in a 5 1/4 bay you have a switch where you can select which drive to boot off of. I think it's made by a company called TRIOS or something like that. Drives are cheap. And this device allows you to only use one IDE channel and switch between installed drives. I am contemplating going that route as opposed to the removable drive bays. If you go the removable bay route, don't try to save money on cheap ones. Get one that supports Ultra 100 at least. Mine have a heavy aluminum finned bottom plate to help dissapate heat and a good connector that isn't prone to making sloppy connects.

Actually the NLE machine has three removable bays. One for the system, one for data, and a third that has caddies that can be used outside of the bay with USB-2 or Firewire.

I tried mult-boot and multi-partitioned drives and personally had issues with them.

Rich
post #26 of 396 Old 05-23-2003, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
Rich:

That is EXCELLENT information--thanks!

Now, I have two questions:

1. For "one-computer people", one step to try (short of a re-format and re-install) might be to remove all the "unnecesary" codecs. Obviously, this can be a daunting task. In that "gspot" program mentioned above, there is a menu function called "View > Installed Codecs > Video" and "View > Installed Codecs > Audio". My machine here at work (just a base install of W2K per our company's standards) reports about 30 or so entries in the report. My home machine (Windows XP Pro), on which I do my video editing, has about *60* codecs installed.

Can you recommend a "safe" way of removing these codecs without totally mucking things up? Can I just delete the .dll's or is there a facility ti delete them? I understand that this may be a rather unrealistic question because the options are so great, but your experience has proven quite useful in the past, so...

2. For "two-computer people", doing a complete reformat and re-install of an OS probably makes the most sense. My question is two-fold: First, what OS do you recommend for NLE? I can install either W2K or WXP Pro. Second, when installing these OS's, what are your recommendations as to controlling what gets installed? By this, I mean when an OS like WXP Pro installs, a TON of "extras" are installed that I just simply won't use for video editing. What tips do you have concerning either preventing specific apps from installing in the first place or removing specific apps after a clean install. And related to that, what "extras" do you recommend NOT be installed?

Sorry to overwhelm you with these.

Thanks again for your input on this--it is invaluable! And if I am lucky, I may even get an NLE system that works like yours does!
1) Honestly I've never had to go the route of putzing with my system to remove codecs. (I'm a big believer in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing)
<grin> But I'd be VERY careful. This is the problem with Billy Gates and his Microshaft world. His operating system is an end-all be-all thing and really has re-written the term "operating system". It's now far FROM just an operating system. And unfortunately it has a lot of "things" going on in it that really have no business being in a "real" operating system. Some day, you'll just anti up your Multi-K-bucks to the Gates Empire and you'll not have to ever buy another software product. Ah .. sorry .. I'm rambling. As you can tell I'm no fan of BG. But it IS the biggest game in town, and has brought computers to the masses.

So back to the question. Who knows what all of those codecs are doing?

I'll have a good look at my over-all system to see if I can get a list of EVERYTHING in it. Maybe that'll help.

2) I'm a die hard Windows 2000 Pro guy. It's the most stable and compatible OS I've used and have been using it for my dedicated NLE machine since the beginning.

As far as my technique for putting a system together, I'll have to write it all down while I'm building this new one. I've been doing it for so long, it's all kinda automatic. I probably do a lot of things in specific order just because that's the way I've always done it and never thought about it.

So I'll be back later (Sorry I can't wait any longer and the pile of parts on the work bench is calling out to me.

In case you are interested here's the list for my new machine.

ABIT NF7-S Main board.
Crucial PC3500 DDR ( 256 Mb) X 2 (must be used in pairs and installed as such in proper 2 of 3 available slots
ATA UDMA 133 120 GB drive for the op system. (removable)
ATA " " 60 GB for a "scratch" drive
Pioneer A05 4x DVD Burner
ATA 133 removable drive bay (for off system storage of Mpegs etc.)
ATI All in Wonder Radeon 9000 Video and capture card
Hercules Fortissimo II Sound card.
PCMCIA PC card slot
LS120 Disk drive.

The main board has on-board sound (will be disabled) 6 USB vers 2, Fireware, 10/100 Lan, Serial ATA controller, and all the other usual stuff.

I'll install windows 2000 pro. Leave the windows drivers as installed for the video card.

Then install the monitor drivers.

Then install all service packs. Then run MS update and get the latest of all the os things. Then install Direct X, and sound card drivers.

Lastly I'll delete the stock video drivers used by windows and reboot to a generic video driver. Then run the full ATI install for the video, capture and such.

I've always found that if possible it's best to first work on the operating system and get it established with it's own recommended drivers and such. Once all the service Packs and updates are installed for the op system, then I work on upgrading the video and other drivers. This could be because of ATI driver issues I've had in the past, but I believe it's still the safe and logical way to do it. Point is you work on the operating system with minimal add-ons and then only use that op system's defaults when you can. Once the op system is up to the latest specs, THEN start upgrading your drivers and such.

Oh I guess I rambled again and told you what I was going to tell you later. Harrrrr. If I don't return in a day, then you'll know we had "smoke" and things aren't going well. ;)

Rich
post #27 of 396 Old 05-23-2003, 09:42 PM

Rich,

Aren't you using Spruce to compile the DVD?
Could the authoring software be the source of the audio
sync problems? A lot of people are using ulead mf2 including myself.
Has anybody been able to author a 2hr movie from the replay with ulead mf2 without an audio sync problem?
post #28 of 396 Old 05-24-2003, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jim good info on the filter listings, I missed that! I did see the codec count when you do a render, but never saw a list. That would have helped in the removal...

Speaking of removal, to get rid of the codec it seems to be a two step process.

First removal of the installed codec. Hope for a add/remove entry or a startmenu program uninstall item.

After that you'll need to do something like this: (sorry I don't know where this came)
This describes win98, but it's pretty close for win2k and winXP...
Code:
On wind98 you use the regsvr32.exe program (part of windows) to add/remove directshow codecs.
You need to know the names of the codecs you want to remove (*.ax).

Then do this:

regsvr32 /u /s whatever.ax

for each codec. You may have to specify full paths or be in the
same directory as the .ax files, I'm not sure.
ligos filters are lmpg*.ax dv da and sp
The .ax files live in the system32 filter. Hope that helps.

A friend also recommended to use the new zoomplayer (2.9 may have introduced this, 2.9 was the last real version before the 3.0 verison which charges$$) ZP has a feature to remove filters/codecs.
post #29 of 396 Old 05-24-2003, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryTheHat
Could the authoring software be the source of the audio
sync problems?
There is only one way to answer this.... HELL YES.

Many author packages munge the streams for no reason. Some even reencode the video streams, I hate that! The authoring package should just remux to create a mpeg stream that's split into VOB files, but... video and audio can be resample, reencoded, etc. That can always introduce problems.
post #30 of 396 Old 05-24-2003, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
There is only one way to answer this.... HELL YES.

Many author packages munge the streams for no reason. Some even reencode the video streams, I hate that! The authoring package should just remux to create a mpeg stream that's split into VOB files, but... video and audio can be resample, reencoded, etc. That can always introduce problems.
Yup, I agree to a point. I have used just about all the popular authoring programs and never really had any quality issue with any of them. But for pure simplicity and speed SpruceUp was the best for me.

However I've just purchased the new DVD-Lab software. Absolutely the best thing I've found yet. Intro pricing was only 79 bucks. And the best part is it can be as fancy or simple as you wish. I've burned about 30 dvds with the beta version before Oscar finally released the product and I had my plastic in hand waiting.

Like the Womble situation, the programmer at DVD-Lab (Oscar is the whole show there I believe) is VERY good on user input and has really gone the extra mile to help people with "strange problems" (read ReplayTV guys) <grin>

So my choices are Womble for editing, and DVD-Lab for authoring. I could go on for a week about all the neat things DVD-Lab can do. But you can check it yourself. www.mediachance.com Personally I think it's in the leagure of the 600 dollar plus DVD authoring stuff that's out there now.

I find that I CAN have problems with stuttering, skipping and sometimes other stuff when I author a DVD. But the problem has ALWAYS been caused by the medium (disc) itself. I've found some brands of DVD discs just don't cut it when others do. (no pun intended) And contrary to what you may think, the cost of the disc often has nothing to do with it.

A couple days ago, I did a two episode DVD of JAG for a friend. It was on a 2x DVD I had laying around. (sorry don't have the brand info handy) But it would NOT play properly on my VERY forgiving Sampo DVD player. Luckily I did not delete the Title Set I had saved to my hard drive. (see? another reason to author to a title set on your HD and then use that to burn your DVD disc) I grabbed a 79 cent Princo 1X DVD and burned that and the same title set played perfectly everywhere.

Personally I've found the Ritek and Princo DVDs to work fine with my setup.

Rich
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page