5040 Cancellation Issues (was: Refurb 5040 + Lifetime: $329) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, 3 people have now been canceled, for the same reason. All ordered monday night. Guess its gonna bite us all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no biggie. I never believed that I would get the 15% off deal anyway. If I did it would just be icing one top of a already great price of $329. I do not think anyone has a real bitch about their 15% off being canceled. unless you are a real friend or family ;)

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #183 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
Charge and Hold are not the same thing. DNNA has *not* charged anyone.
Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
One of my favorite on line companies Newegg.com doesn't do either.
No wonder they are your favorite! :) How do they stay in business? :)
post #184 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Then again maybe they do. I don't know for sure. I alway order first thing in the AM. And pay $2.00 extra to have them ship it out by noon. So maybe they do not have time to place a hold on my card :p

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #185 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jones07
no biggie. I never believed that I would get the 15% off deal anyway. If I did it would just be icing one top of a already great price of $329. I do not think anyone has a real bitch about their 15% off being canceled. unless you are a real friend or family ;)
No biggie?! I would guess three-quarters of the orders placed used the F&F discount. How many of those will reorder is anybody's guess. If they have decided to cancel all F&F orders I think it's a marketing blunder, and huge missed opportunity for D&M.

I received a VCR for Christmas that I returned and exchanged for a ReplayTV using the two $50 rebates (one of which I never did get). Since then my father and brother have both purchased one, after hearing me talk about it. I talk it about it all the time, and now so do they. You can't buy this kind of word-of-mouth advertising! This would have been a great opportunity to increase market share, and would've created a lot of "buzz" for ReplayTV.

Of course, reality is none of us know how many units they had to sell, or if their cost structure allows them to sell them $280. Still, it would have been nice to tell someone about ReplayTV, and not have to say "it's like a TIVO".
post #186 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:11 PM

Of all the people I told about the price, I never mentioned the 15% F&F discount, because it was an obvious abuse of their discounting system. Anyone that actually thought they'd get away with it was just fooling themselves. Anyone that thinks D&M should honor those abuses is just plain retarded.

UD.
post #187 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Any online ordering system that can tell you if the card is declined, is placing a charge onto your card.
post #188 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UberDuper
Anyone that thinks D&M should honor those abuses is just plain retarded.

UD.
Ouch! I hear what you're saying, but the reality is most of the people who ordered the ReplayTV aren't AVS Forum readers, or home theater enthusiasts. They found it on Fat Wallet, Techbargains, AnandTech, Hot Deals Club, or one of hundreds of other websites that devote themselves to publishing exactly such discounting opportunities. This isn't morally challenging to them, it a fiscal opportunity.

These are people who maybe never heard of a PVR until this weekend. If I owned ReplayTV, I'd figure out a way to keep from alienating these new found customers. If I can get a ReplayTV in their hands, even better. We'll have to wait and see.

P.S. Did you order one using a Friends & Family discount?
post #189 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with briggsbw. One way or another I think this deal will be a turning point for ReplayTV. If they mass cancel most/all of these orders, they have IMO doomed themselves to the continuation of a small market share forever. In a year's time, they will come out with their new model; and they will still have a warehouse full of unsold 5xxx machines they could have sold for 10-12 MILLION today that will be worthless then. That figure is more than half of what they paid for the ReplayTV assets. When you consider that a good chunk of the purchase price was for good will and the technology, they are probably still profiting or at least breaking even on this deal. Even at a little loss, however, gaining this much market share at a time when PVRs are just beginning to take off seems more than worth it to me.

When it comes down to it, D&M seems to have a unique opportunity to capitalize on a post-bankruptcy ReplayTV acquired at a bargain price, but the early indications are that they will no more realize what they have than SonicBlue did before them. [EDIT - and they ARE just that, early indications. ReplayLyndon's most recent posts are encouraging in that it sounds like these reports may be more isolated than previously feared.]

I hope I am wrong on this. There is always that chance that they don't have this many units available period (refurb or otherwise). In that case, cancellations of orders exceeding supply seems reasonable to me; but they should at least explain this to those whose orders have been cancelled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #190 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UberDuper
Of all the people I told about the price, I never mentioned the 15% F&F discount, because it was an obvious abuse of their discounting system. Anyone that actually thought they'd get away with it was just fooling themselves. Anyone that thinks D&M should honor those abuses is just plain retarded.

UD.
The thing is (and you haven't been here long enough to remember this) they HAVE honored the F&F discount in the past on a similar deal even though people here were putting in made up names etc. Perhaps a search will turn up the relevant thread--I'm too lazy at the moment (it would have been around Nov.-Dec. 2002). The F&F system has been around a long time, and SB/D&M knew/should have known that it apparently does little to no verification of what is entered there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #191 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth, it says on their website that "The Friends and Family Promotion has expired. I ordered one this morning through a direct link on www.gotapex.com. I wasn't even aware it was the Friends and Family Promotion that was giving me 15% off. I haven't received any cancellation notice as of yet. I'm going to just have to hope that the people that got cancelled were cancelled because the deal actually expired some point today. No huge loss to me if I don't get it since I wasn't looking to buy one anyway. One is probably enough for me, it's just hard to pass up such a good deal :)

-Rob
post #192 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Stop complaining, you're out of gas.
ROFL! Nice comeback.

Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
It expires automatically on its own. If you find that 2x $300 holds are
impeding your purchases, increase your credit limit. CC companies love
to increase your credit when you are a good customer.

That's just the way the world works. Everyone does it so there's no
reason to single out Denon. What they do tell you is they won't charge
you before the item is shipped and I don't see they've done that.
First off... I have a 10k limit on one card, and 12k on the other.... both with zero balance. Two $300 holds are obviously not going to break me, however there is principle behind it.

And its not how the world works... and its not what "everyone does." Last week I placed an order on pioneer.com for an item that was listed as "IN STOCK".

I end up getting an email later that day saying, "Sorry the item has been backordered. You will not be charged and you may call us to cancel. If we do not hear from you, the item will ship out once its in and you will be charged at that time."

Now I wasn't charged. And there was no hold put on my credit card either. So to just assume that "everyone does it"... is just inaccurate.

But whatever. In the end from what people on here are saying... it sounds like ill definitely be getting the first order (that didnt have the 15% off) and im fine with that. I don't mind paying the extra $50 buks, its really no big deal. If i get the 2nd order with 15% off... great. If not... no biggie.
post #193 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

There's been no general cancellation of F&F orders. If you told that, you were given incorrect information. Orders that fail the automated or manual fraud check, get cancelled. That's it. So, if your order was cancelled, call in and place an order or double check the billing address and credit card information. It's very easy for their to be a typo in the information you enetered.

And, while there's been a lot of speculation that we sold out, don't let that speculation stop you from placing orders.

Erica, if you fire me an email, I'll look up your case so I can find out whom you spoke with. Thanks.

Lyndon
post #194 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 03:59 PM

Lydon, are you sure? Because so far 4 peole have confirmed this over at FatWallet. All said they got cut for bad credit. When they called, they were told it was because they used the F&F discount on the item.
post #195 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 04:01 PM

So you, as a typical consumer, goto fatwallet to check out the deal because your bestest friend sent you the link to this sweet deal. It's an amazing deal! I want one! You click the link from fatwallet. You're taken to a page that wants to know what company/friend you can thank for your 15% discount. But wait! You don't know!? So you go back to the fatwallet post and submit a reply. "What company name should I give them?" you ask. Someone responds, "cisco." But you don't work for Cisco, do you? You work for Jack in the Box. You figure, "What the hell, they'll never know. They owe me an extra 15% off and if they don't give it to me it'll just tarnish their reputation and I can just complain because I wasn't allowed to cheat them out of $50." So away you go. You're happy. You're stoked. You're getting a 5040 for $280 + shipping. Huh? WTF!? What is this email you just got!? 30,000 people just tried to steal $50 a piece. "Am I one of them?" you might ask yourself. You might think that perhaps D&M realized that 30,000 cisco employees didn't just buy replaytvs. You might think that what you were trying to do was immoral. You might think that you were being a little too greedy. But you probably wont. You'll think those *******s at D&M had no right to screw you out of your stolen $50. How dare they demand honesty from you, right?

So now the big question: Will you let your petty greed prevent you from taking advantage of the not quite as good but still pretty damn sweet deal? Or will you become some anti-replaytv protestor? Can you accept that what you did was wrong and what they did was right?

UD.
post #196 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 04:07 PM

Just noted on the sonicblue.com RePlay Clearance page that it now says "Orders will ship in a two week window: May 30th-June 13th via UPS Ground only." Maybe they really do have tens of thousands to off load??!!

Jim
post #197 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jweinel
Just noted on the sonicblue.com RePlay Clearance page that it now says "Orders will ship in a two week window: May 30th-June 13th via UPS Ground only." Maybe they really do have tens of thousands to off load??!!

Jim
Hmmmm... maybe thats for new orders. What about the people that already ordered that paid for 2nd day shipping or overnight?

I know 2nd day for me would have been $35 buks. Thats alot to pay to have your shipping then "downgraded" to ground. ;)
post #198 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DjPiLL
First off... I have a 10k limit on one card, and 12k on the other.... both with zero balance. Two $300 holds are obviously not going to break me, however there is principle behind it.
I'm glad you have 22k in credit limit, but for 99% of the people on this
thread, the only "priniciple" they care about is whether they are going to
receive their previously valid F&F discount or not.

The hold on your funds are an artifact of the CC auth process, not an
option chosen by the retailer. Anyone who does an auth to see if your
card can handle the purchase amount implicitly puts a hold, there is
no choice on the auth.

To not have a hold, they either have to not Auth the amount or cancel the
original auth transaction. I guarantee very few retailers will go through
this trouble to workaround a hold that was initiated not by them, but by
the CC clearinghouse, and will automatically expire if a subsequent Charge
request is not made within roughly a week.
post #199 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 04:57 PM

Dude that was a little uncalled for. I was going to get a Replay either way by the end of the month. No matter a sale or not. But if I can get it on sale, thats great, if I can pull off a discount, thats even better. Either way, I will be getting one. People who ordered them Monday night are getting notices. So far I have not. Our Replay employee friend here says the discount is not the reason for the cancles.

I simply wanted to know if that was true or not. Because if I'm gonna get canceled, I need to start waying my options, get a 5060, or get this 350 5040 with lifetime.
post #200 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
dfjkl, I'm guessing that you're fairly new to using on-line forums, so let me give you a little bit of advice. If the forum that your using has rules, it's a good idea to read them. Now, read world time, how many of us really bother to read the rules for every forum that we use, of course we don't, which means we're likely to make accidental infractions against those rules. Now, when such an occurrance occurs and a forum regular points it out, the correct response is to say "OK, my bad" not "Bite me". The latter response tends to make the forum owners less likely to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you don't like the rules here, you are free to take your custom elsewhere, remember this is not a democracy, this is a privately owned forum, so the owner can make whatever rules he wishes, without consulting you or anyone else.
You would be guessing wrong. This was an over-reaction through and through, plain and simple, and everyone jumping on the bandwagon to ostracize someone else over an over-reaction on the part of the moderators are also over-reacting. That was the whole point of my response, as everyone jumping on the messengers is crap. The posting was to warn people against buying into that E-Bay info-scam. That is all. Everyone has been getting way too wound up about nothing from the very beginning.
post #201 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
Erica, if you fire me an email, I'll look up your case so I can find out whom you spoke with. Thanks.

Lyndon
Wow! It's a good thing I checked this forum today. I've been a long-time unregistered lurker, and I noticed someone copied my cancellation email I posted on FW over here.

Lyndon, thanks so much for your offer to help me. I couldn't figure out how to send you email, so I sent you a PM, hope you got it.

Erika :)
post #202 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DjPiLL
Now I wasn't charged. And there was no hold put on my credit card either. So to just assume that "everyone does it"... is just inaccurate.
Actually it's not. I can't remember the last time I received some sort of email telling me that a card was declined or that my address didn't match. It's all done immedaitely after I press SUBMIT THE ORDER button :) And I'd bet Pioneer did the same.
post #203 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Actually it's not. I can't remember the last time I received some sort of email telling me that a card was declined or that my address didn't match. It's all done immedaitely after I press SUBMIT THE ORDER button :) And I'd bet Pioneer did the same.
Well im tellin ya they didnt. I have a routine to check my bank account twice daily cause I do not keep a checkbook. And its not the only time this has happened.

But anyways... no point argueing. Im just saying that being a customer... i have high expectations on the service I am receiving... and ill admit... my expectations are higher than most. I shouldn't get knocked for it though.

I didnt get any cancellation email... i probably wont... ill probably end up with my two Replays... one of them discounted 15%. Life will go on.

Im curious Randy.... did you get in on this deal as well?
post #204 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:22 PM

Did any of you receive a order confirmation with an authorization code prior to the cancellation?
post #205 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:28 PM

I just received a cancellation on my 15% order I placed on Sunday, but my original $329 order still stands. I have more than enough room on the same credit card I used for both purchases. There is no other explanation then they don't want to honor the 15% discount orders.
I'm sure more cancellations are and will be trickling through quite a few inboxes in the next few days.
I think they just don't have enough units available to fulfil all the orders placed. Otherwise, I'm sure they wouldn't be turning away orders.
BTW, I did receive an order confirmation prior to the cancellation.
post #206 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Zad: Was your ship-to address and bill-to address on the order the same?
post #207 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:38 PM

has anyone who used the discount had their order processed successfully?
post #208 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Im sure there are plenty of people on here that placed an order with the 15% that havent gotten a cancellation email yet. I am one of them. But who knows... i may be next in line to receive one. Time will tell.
post #209 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:44 PM

My ship to and bill to were the same for both orders, but why should it matter if I want to buy more units?
Or if you mean on the same order, then yes they where, I used the check box that stated I wanted to use the bill to address to ship to so I didn't have to reenter the info.
post #210 of 632 Old 05-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

If they were different... they have a right to decline your order because of that. But it looks like they starting to go after the 15% guys.

Maybe ill wake up tomorrow to see a cancellation email. They still have a hold on my credit card though... so who knows.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page