Do you have a Starfone Model SFT2 cable box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-02-2003, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do and it's about to drive me crazy.

First, who makes this box? Mine says General Instruments on it, but there are posts in this forum from people saying they have a Motorola Starfone Model SFT2. Do both companies make identically named cable boxes?

Second, although there are several posts about them, there is no definitive answer about an IR blaster code works for these boxes. I've messed around with mine quite a bit and the best I can do is get about a 90-95&% success rate on channel changing. If you own one of these boxes and have an IR blaster setup which works, I would LOVE to hear about it.

Third, does it make a difference for testing channel changing if I change via the channel guide or if I type in the channel number myself? I've tried both and it doesn't seem to make a difference, but I figured I'd ask.

The weird thing about my problem is the channel changing does not fail in any consistent way. Sometimes it will drop the last digit, sometimes it seems to repeat a third digit, sometimes it seems to give the digits to the box VERY fast and the box can't deal with it, sometimes it looks like everything works, but the cable box doesn't change channels. To say it has been frustrating would be a large understatement.

I've read the FAQ concerning the IR blaster fine tuning parameters, and tried many variations. But I've not been able to do find anything which works better than 18 to 19 times out of 20.

Help? Anyone?

If you don't want to know, don't ask. The truth is brutal, prepare for pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-03-2003, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, FWIW, IR blaster code 0276 with default settings seems to work best. I found a post from lizard_boy saying as far as he knew 0476 worked with all GI and Motorola boxes, but it doesn't work nearly as well as 0276 for me.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-05-2003, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I don't know if this helps but I did find a way to always get a specific failure.

If I start watching a previously record show, press stop, select watch another show, then press exit, I am now looking at a still from the show I pressed stop on. If I enter a channel number to go to live tv at this point, it always drops the first digit. Enter 234 and it will go to 34.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2004, 08:51 PM

Came across this old thread when doing a search for IR problems with a General Instrument Starfone SFT2 box. I have a Showstopper PV-HS2000 and have had all sorts of channel changing issues with this box (Comcast in Montgomery County Maryland). Wondering if the original poster or anyone else ever solved this issue.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page