Adding new IR Blaster codes to the Replay unit (4k/5k) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 454 Old 06-06-2003, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Given that Replay has the ability to add new IR blaster codes to our boxes as part of their nightly download if they wish to do so, is there anyway that we could create and add our own IR blaster codes?

I'm encouraged by reden's recent accomplishments where he was able to let one of Mikeyboy's 2.0 Showstoppers get the 3.0 software using his linux box.

I have seen the IR blaster code files before and they are in a standard UEI format, so I could certainly create the data that needs to be loaded if someone else knows how to get it into the units.

Then we could start adding codes for HDTV receivers and off-brand cable boxes! I have an HDTV receiver that I acquired as part of an Ebay deal and I'd love to be able to hook it up to Replay, if only to get crystal clear reception on the local OTA channels.

PLEASE NOTE: Even though I started this topic, I have been too busy with other things to keep up with the progress that has been made in adding new blaster codes to Replays, so I'm not the person to ask how to do it.

Update 6/16/2007: This thread is now just for the 4k/5k series units (that use RID files). I have split off the posts concerning the 2k/3k/Showstopper units (that use OBJ files) here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=862213

All files related to adding blaster codes to Replay can be found here...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...ory&cat_id=106

FlipFlop's "step by step" is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...29&post6677629
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95#post6311995

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 454 Old 06-06-2003, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The hard part is adding new files. I can't help you there. Maybe flipflop can.

With extract_rtv restrictions, all you can do is overwrite unnecessary IR blaster files with applicable ones. The new files must be the same size or smaller. My guess is the new files may function under the original setup code for the file overwritten.
post #3 of 454 Old 06-06-2003, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Terrific idea and new project. I know the techies around here were getting bored
post #4 of 454 Old 06-06-2003, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Isn't there a way to add a file over the lan? Lee or any of the experts from molehill care to comment?

I'd love to be able to do something to get my replay to tune HDTV channels!!!!
post #5 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff D
Isn't there a way to add a file over the lan? Lee or any of the experts from molehill care to comment?

I don't think people have gotten anything onto the drive. Just overwritten other stuff.
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff D
I'd love to be able to do something to get my replay to tune HDTV channels!!!!

I don't understand this - it wouldn't be HD anymore...
post #6 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 08:43 AM

While I was unemployed, I had several "little" projects going that involved extract_rtv:

1. I modified it (and RTVPatch) to work on Windows 95/98/ME.
2. I was working on a "toy" device driver for Win9x for the Replay file system, and a full file system browser with the ability to write to the disk or image file...

... but since I now have a job again (which is a Good Thing), there has been very little time to work on any of the above again.

If you can get the FTPD working on the RPTV (difficult to do on 4xxx/5xxx boxes) you could use that to write files onto the Replay hard drive without opening the box.

AFAIK, the only ways to put new stuff on the drive involve either puling the drive (and some new software to write to the FS), or setting up a proxy Replay server to inject the commands to retrieve the file, similarly to a software update.

TD
post #7 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
So Rob, do you lay awake at night dreaming what you can load IR codes into?

It's a good idea..... we may even be able to load our own pause ads on <4k boxes... our own slideshow. We know you can have multiple pause ads that rotate in some manner.

On Ian Prest's RNS page there is an excellent PDF with his analysis of the RNS protocol. We would probably intercept the "getmirror2" request.

To add a pause ad or IR code, it's not clear if we would need to udpate an existing file or just put the file in the correct directory. The format of the actual files would also need to be determined.

It would not be difficult to modify Ian's RNS server procedure to pass all request to replay except for the getmirror2 call. On 4k> it's not known if those files are signed. The 4k systems could probably use a local box as a proxy server and not have to use dialup.

As much as I would like the credit for getting the RNS dialup to work, it really is Ian who has done the work (and more). I just replicated his experiment (with his help).

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #8 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Robman

I'm encouraged by reden's recent accomplishments where he was able to let one of Mikeyboy's 2.0 Showstoppers get the 3.0 software using his linux box.

No kidding! I would be willing to put this on my Linux partition and serve up upgrades to those folks who have stray 2.0 Showstoppers even though Replay should be doing this.
post #9 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RandyL712
I don't understand this - it wouldn't be HD anymore...

Still, a good anamorphic 480i image with ReplayTV convenience is nothing to sneeze at. I've been wishing lately that someone had been able to do this with Firefly on "Fox Widescreen Digital." I'd love to have anamorphic DVDs of that show. (Now, that is. Yes, I know about and will buy the official DVD release in November.)

Indecision is the basis of flexibility.
post #10 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Reden
To add a pause ad or IR code, it's not clear if we would need to udpate an existing file or just put the file in the correct directory. The format of the actual files would also need to be determined.

It would not be difficult to modify Ian's RNS server procedure to pass all request to replay except for the getmirror2 call. On 4k> it's not known if those files are signed. The 4k systems could probably use a local box as a proxy server and not have to use dialup.

On my 5k, the IR data files are not signed. All the panels that implement
the UI to use the data files are signed, but it doesn't appear any of the
IR data filenames are embedded in the panel UI, rather it seems they just
live in a directory which gets read during config. There's a file that serves
as the master list of STB box names and another file with the numeric
ID. Neither are signed.
post #11 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Robman,

Is there any chance the IR codes for a Dish receiver could be hacked to send a channel-up before sending the channel code?
post #12 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking for someone who understands sean riddles instructions http://members.cox.net/seanriddle/replayshell.html to walk me through running the ptvio commands using a terminal program (windows terminal if possible). Including picking out which terminal program to download.
Thanks much.
post #13 of 454 Old 06-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Robman,

I had a thought: if the remote code for Dish could be replaced with a Channel-Up, Channel-Down sequence, then I could enable the "send enter after channel number" option, and then it would send a channel up/down after sending the channel number.

Assuming my dish tuner's guide is set up appropriately so the Up/Down buttons work appropriately, this would guarantee that I don't get tuned to, and stuck on, an "unsubscribed channel".

What do you think? Can the IR blaster codes be changed so a single code actually sends 2 keys in sequence? If you have any ideas, I'd be willing to try them out.
post #14 of 454 Old 06-08-2003, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by FlipFlop
Is there any chance the IR codes for a Dish receiver could be hacked to send a channel-up before sending the channel code?

Absolutely, this is the kind of hack I do in the JP1 world all the time. The "3 minute skip" code that is so popular in my hacked Replay protocol is just a 3 followed by QS. Another popular one I did was for the Apex 1100w DVD player. In their infinite wisdom, Apex decided not to include arrow buttons on the 1100w remote, so you have to hit SHIFT first, then use the number pad (2 = up, 4 = left, etc). So, what i did was create some codes that send SHIFT first, then the number code, then SHIFT again and the 1100w guys love it.

So, if you guys can take care of what's needed on your end, I can create the hacked codes to be loaded.

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #15 of 454 Old 06-08-2003, 09:23 AM

Are there JP1 codes that will make my girlfriend change the channel for me when I can't find my remote?

Computers, Astronomy, Photography, Video Editing and now Home Theater... Dear God, why am I incapable of finding an inexpensive hobby?
My DVD Collection
post #16 of 454 Old 06-08-2003, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mikeyboy
I'm looking for someone who understands sean riddles instructions http://members.cox.net/seanriddle/replayshell.html to walk me through running the ptvio commands using a terminal program (windows terminal if possible). Including picking out which terminal program to download.
Thanks much.

I got the terminal working. Thanks for the help.
post #17 of 454 Old 06-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

I was able to copy the existing dish receiver code (0775) to a new code number on my 4504, and it works. There were no signature files to worry about. I'll leave it set with the new code to see if the files get removed at some point during normal updates.

The files that needed adjustment were:

/name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodes

/name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodesRaw

/name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/S0775fi.rid

The first 2 need the new number added to them, and the last one I copied to a filename with the new number, and changed the 0775 encoded inside the file to the new number. (The 0775 is encoded twice in binary and once is ASCII.)
post #18 of 454 Old 06-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Update: with some help from Rob and John on the jp1 group, I was able to patch up the dish IR blaster code in my 4xxx unit to send a channel-up/channel-down sequence after setting the channel number. This seems to fix the 'unsubscribed channel' bug!
post #19 of 454 Old 06-10-2003, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

You are the dude, dude!

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
post #20 of 454 Old 06-28-2003, 11:49 AM

I posted this in another forum and Robman suggested I post it here - maybe it will help others. The post was:

Ok, after a week of trying every IR code for my cable box I can't get it to work. It's a Ranger 5000. The manufacturer is Airtopi but their website is gone.

I've tired choosing the code and finishing setup to see if the IR blaster will change channels - with every code....

I've also tried running the cable through the vcr but again the IR codes don't work on vcrs.

Is there an IR code hack that allows more codes to be added to the list to cover universal cable boxes?

I got my pda to work as a learning remote, and assuming that the info I extracted is useful, I need help uploading the codes to my Replaytv.

Flipflop can you help with this?
post #21 of 454 Old 07-26-2003, 12:25 PM

Has anyone tried to remap channels using this method? It seems like it should work. You just need to edit a IR blaster code file to have it map to different channels. Can you offer some help Flipflop?
post #22 of 454 Old 07-26-2003, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by stahlgrau
Has anyone tried to remap channels using this method? It seems like it should work. You just need to edit a IR blaster code file to have it map to different channels. Can you offer some help Flipflop?

To remap channels the better way is to make changes to the guide itself http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...45#post1375445
post #23 of 454 Old 07-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Robman, have you thought about going at this from another direction?

I mean in the past I have heard that Replay would add IR commands if you sent them a remote. Have you asked ReplayLyndon if thay would be willing to accept UEI codes from your JP1 folks. Heck you guys know that stuff as well as anyone.

I know it does not quench that Hacking desire but it might be easier

My apologies if that has been tried, discussed or otherwise rejected as an option.
post #24 of 454 Old 08-11-2003, 10:09 AM

Has anyone figured out the IR Blaster code situation? I have a new Motorola DCT-5100 and can not get it to work properly. Thank you.
post #25 of 454 Old 08-03-2004, 01:43 PM

bump
post #26 of 454 Old 08-03-2004, 06:45 PM

What can we DO wkith this data / access?

What I'd like to do on mt SS:

1. Change the title of manually recorded shows from the date/time format to the actual name of the recording.

2. Edit out those long junk program headers.

3. Create themed recording lists.

Any chance of any of these coming to fruition?

O==wrench==C
--------------------

post #27 of 454 Old 11-06-2004, 06:52 AM

Anyone figure this out or can we send ReplayTV a remote like someone suggested above. I have a LG LST-3510 that I would love to change channels. I know I can create a ccf on a Axim to send signals on a timer but then I am managing two guides in a sense. Seems like Replay would be interested in adding these codes for us because as soon as an option comes out that does this and allows downloading to PC then I am out of here. What about just the entire customer base blasting them with e-mails. I have sent two already and called but they are not real responsive or accomodating! Really it can't be that hard of a request. I am paying $12.95 a month to record 10 shows a week. I suppose I can just but the SIR-T351 that someone says works but I am running out of inputs on the projector.

Clint Roberts
post #28 of 454 Old 11-06-2004, 09:38 AM

This sounds like a new plug-in for WiRNS may be in order. That way the RTV will think it is getting updated IR codes directly from the mother-ship, and WiRNS could combine local files with the normal upload. Not sure how to go about this but it sounds like it would be something it could be programmed to also do, given sufficient development efforts.

Simply one man's opinion!
post #29 of 454 Old 11-06-2004, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by docmcse
This sounds like a new plug-in for WiRNS may be in order. That way the RTV will think it is getting updated IR codes directly from the mother-ship, and WiRNS could combine local files with the normal upload. Not sure how to go about this but it sounds like it would be something it could be programmed to also do, given sufficient development efforts.

Getting the files onto a 5xxx is not a problem anymore. One could do it using presently available tools--e.g. using GetShellCommands to move files through the Photo partition. The problem is that AFAIK nobody has actually made a completely new IR data file for a 5xxx...

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #30 of 454 Old 01-14-2005, 02:25 PM

MaddGamer created one for Pansat 2500. Here is the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=pansat

I was trying to decipher the RID file format to create one for other device based on The Robman's message previously but I guess I still need some help.

--
Pei-Chiang
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page