1Likes
  • 1 Post By g501

post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
USB Power

Does anybody here know how to activate the USB port (power only) on a Replay? I think I saw a registry setting but can't find it.

I know about the WiRNS shellcmds file.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
Does anybody here know how to activate the USB port (power only) on a Replay? I think I saw a registry setting but can't find it.

I know about the WiRNS shellcmds file.
The USB port can be powered up from one of the shell-level commands. The USB commands are:

usb_enumerate
usb_open_flash
usb_test_flash
usb_test_mouse

I think usb_enumerate is sufficient.

You can give the command either via a script (e.g. Wirns) or via the shell interface using the RS232 port.

The RS232 needs a suitable custom connector, and it needs to be activated first (just once) via the command ptvio.
Load the MTS module, by executing the shell command IRMTS. Enable I/O over the serial port, by executing the shell command "ptvio on". It works at 115,200 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.
SD_Shadow likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-18-2017, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g501 View Post
The USB port can be powered up from one of the shell-level commands. The USB commands are:

usb_enumerate
usb_open_flash
usb_test_flash
usb_test_mouse

I think usb_enumerate is sufficient.

You can give the command either via a script (e.g. Wirns) or via the shell interface using the RS232 port.

The RS232 needs a suitable custom connector, and it needs to be activated first (just once) via the command ptvio.
Load the MTS module, by executing the shell command IRMTS. Enable I/O over the serial port, by executing the shell command "ptvio on". It works at 115,200 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.
I would prefer to use WiRNS, which affects all Replays. I have tried various arrangements of "usb_enumerate" (or all 4 commands) in the shellcmds file. None of these are working, and they keep the other commands (like those that enable showguard) from working.

Perhaps I'll try the RS232 method. Soldering 3 wires shouldn't be a problem, but does this work any better than using WiRNS?

post #4 of 9 Old 02-22-2017, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question

whats the use for making this workk
post #5 of 9 Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan View Post
Cable here changed. Everything digital & encrypted (and HD if available). The SD output of the box was letterboxed (inappropriately here, since I have a wide-screen TV). I want to use a simple HDMI to composite converter, which gets around that problem. It is powered by a USB connection.

I decided that getting the USB port on the Replay working was not worthwhile.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-24-2017, 11:11 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
I would prefer to use WiRNS, which affects all Replays. I have tried various arrangements of "usb_enumerate" (or all 4 commands) in the shellcmds file. None of these are working, and they keep the other commands (like those that enable showguard) from working.

Perhaps I'll try the RS232 method. Soldering 3 wires shouldn't be a problem, but does this work any better than using WiRNS?
Before you can use usb_enumerate you probably have to enable the debugging or hardware level commands. I believe the commands are:

ShellExtensions
load HWDebug.out
IRMTS
post #7 of 9 Old 09-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfrdan View Post
The ReplayTV needs Internet access for guide updates. I've got my Mom's replaytv using an ethernet to wifi converter that gets its power from a usb connector.

If I could get this to work, it would be one less wire (and AC to USB converter) to clutter up her home.

People talk about the "wife acceptance factor", that's nothing compared to the "elderly mom's acceptance factor".
post #8 of 9 Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwz View Post
The ReplayTV needs Internet access for guide updates. I've got my Mom's replaytv using an ethernet to wifi converter that gets its power from a usb connector.

If I could get this to work, it would be one less wire (and AC to USB converter) to clutter up her home.

People talk about the "wife acceptance factor", that's nothing compared to the "elderly mom's acceptance factor".
What about a pair of ethernet powerline adapters? I have made use of a set to get my RTV updates... One adapter near the TV, the other near the router / switch... You can get a pair from amazon for $25, and it's prime eligible...

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Power...dp/B00AWRUIY4/
post #9 of 9 Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
What about a pair of ethernet powerline adapters? I have made use of a set to get my RTV updates... One adapter near the TV, the other near the router / switch... You can get a pair from amazon for $25, and it's prime eligible...

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Power...dp/B00AWRUIY4/
That's a good suggestion for a techie user. I'm using these in my new home. I use cable internet and it isn't close to my media center and Wifi router.

These things crap out. I have to run a continual ping with alerts so I know when to yank one out of the AC plug so it will reset. Don't tell me about its software support, doesn't work for me. And I have a newer home (built 2008), who knows how bad these would work in my Mom's 1975 home.

With tech, the devil is ALWAYS in the details.

But thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page