• 3 Post By Reden
  • 1 Post By Reden

post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replay lifetime chip

Can someone tell me which chip on the 5080 motherboard is the chip for lifetime subscription. Need to replace motherboard on my 5080 and want to move chip from old board to new one.
thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
No need.. just connect once to LaHo or WiRNS (with the proper config) and it will activate your unit.

As far as getting lifetime guide updates... that's history.
ClearToLand, dstoffa and SD_Shadow like this.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RileySmith View Post
Can someone tell me which chip on the 5080 motherboard is the chip for lifetime subscription. Need to replace motherboard on my 5080 and want to move chip from old board to new one.
thanks in advance.
As posted above, there is no longer a need to move the chip now that "Lifetime" is not really "Lifetime", or is it? When is the next hurdle? When UTC flips over? LaHo or WiRNS will take care of it (the subscription) for you, regardless of its old sub status. I think DNNA stopped charging monthlies and just activated all units before they went belly up anyway.

Not all 5000 series units had the socketed chip. I think the country of origin on the label on the unit's back will tell you if you didn't open it.

I did move a chip once after a lightning strike killed the motherboard on a lifetime unit I once had. Must have been 10+ years ago. It's about 1 inch square, and in a brown socket.

Last edited by dstoffa; 04-06-2017 at 09:01 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-07-2017, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the reply, I guess I was wanting to know because I have a subscription to laho on this unit and if the motherboard fixes my "no video" problem I still want the unit to be reconized by laho to get the guide information.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Thanks guys for the reply, I guess I was wanting to know because I have a subscription to laho on this unit and if the motherboard fixes my "no video" problem I still want the unit to be reconized by laho to get the guide information.
That might be a challenge then, if both units do not have socketed subscription chips. But I think the problem is solved very easily.

The SN of your RTV is tied to the chip. So changing the motherboard changes the SN, which needs to be "activated" since the SN on the HD doesn't match the SN on the chip. A connection to LaHo or WiRNS fixes this discrepancy. But, when your "new" unit connects, it won't know your unit - and won't update the guide. Now I understand why you wanted to move the chip over.

I use WiRNS, but I am sure that you can logon to PercData and update the SN of your "new" box to replace the old one. Presto.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
As dfoffa said, you just need to replace your serial number on the Perc website.

It actually easier to just delete the current serial number on the website and then let the "new" unit/motherboard download data. Laho should automaitcally populate the empty serial number slot based on your IP address.

Depending on the configuration of the "new" unit, you may need to play the DNS game so it can get to LaHo.
ClearToLand likes this.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to reply to my question, the 5080 unit I have does have the chipped socket on the motherboard. due to some personal stuff I've haven't been able to test the power supply voltages even though I know the center most heat sink is to hot to touch so it may not be the motherboard that's at fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page