post #271 of 329 Old 08-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Belial6
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he meant it in the 'Who's your daddy?' kind of way, but with heather being a woman and all, it becomes, 'Who's your mommy?' :-)

If she was my mom, for once it would be nice to talk to my parents about technology and/or computers and not get the doughnut effect "heavy on the glaze"..

I don't think my folks have really understood a word that has come out of my mouth since I got my first pc (a C64) back in the mid eighties.. They mean well.. and smile and nod alot like the understand.. but I know they don't have a clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 329 Old 08-20-2003, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Belial6
She may not know what buffer is, but she just might get mad when she is watching a show and can't record it. (e.g. It's buffered) If Replay could do this, then they could describe all of the Tivos as broken, or limited.
I don't think she could even get to the point of turning it on..

I won't tell you how long it took them to figure out how to play a dvd .. she has a nice spiral bound notebook by the tv now that she keeps all her notes in..

She's trying.. I'll give her that..
post #273 of 329 Old 08-20-2003, 11:52 PM

I wonder if some type of web browser integration is one of the new toys. They could also add TV magazine stuff via their web site. I've always wanted to see more detailed TV previews, upcoming specials etc.
post #274 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Bixit219
If she was my mom, for once it would be nice to talk to my parents about technology and/or computers and not get the doughnut effect "heavy on the glaze"..

I don't think my folks have really understood a word that has come out of my mouth since I got my first pc (a C64) back in the mid eighties.. They mean well.. and smile and nod alot like the understand.. but I know they don't have a clue.
I got you there. I give my mom lessons on how to use email about once a year for as long as I can remember. During these 25 min sessions about half way in I suddenly feel like i've changed into a jehovah's witness--repeating basic steps like what not to do when putting in a web site address over and over and over. The quirks of Microsoft don't help either. They always make me have to pick up something from the top and interject statements like "Usually Print Setup is here". Gward!

Recently, her black and white print cartriage went out after about 10% use. The color print cartriage went out a few months ago at about 5% use. She only prints something about once or twice a month. The printer is a lexmark. You know, the company who recently sued a ink cartriage maker for 'circumventing' the chips they (lexmark) put on their ink cartriages. I priced a kit that had both the color and b&w cartriage at staples on sale for $73.xx. GARWD. I know I can do better then that. Now I have to spend half my life on ************** keeping an eye on a b&w cartriage for under $32.xx. I'm goign to skip the color one, she just prints b&w documents 90% of the time anyway. And forget trying to explain to her that it would be cheaper just to buy a new printer that has cheaper cartriages, because she just got the last printer about eight months ago (I got it on sale for about $55). She doesn't understand why it would be neccessary to throw away a scientific marvel of an appliance because of print cartriage extortion. Well, thats not actualy true. If I spend an hour explaining it to her then follow up with 3 or 4 twenty min sessions she does accept the reasoning.

This world is crazy.

cow
post #275 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 05:38 AM

The units already connect to the internet and have a photo partition. My mom would like an email function where I could send pictures to eudmins_mom@myreplaytv.com and have them show up in her photo partition when she does her nightly connect with a message from me.

Also, if she could use a USB keyboard or something to then send an email to my sister and perhaps attach the photo to that.... that would rock.

So my guess is:

1) Enable the USB port for keyboard use
2) Give everyone with a replay an email address that they configure through the setup screens with their username or let them configure it on myreplaytv.com
3) Enable free email for all 5k Replay users which can either be set up to transfer with the nightly reboot or on command from the remote.

Relatively low bandwith, and I would immediately buy one for my mom so she would never miss Regis again and could send email to me without me paying $15/month for her dialup. 8)
post #276 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

COW, yes you got me there.. my folks don't even have a computer, though my mom has expressed interest, I am still trying to devise a way to teach them how to use it.. I see this being nothing but a SISYPHEAN* ordeal..

*SISYPHEAN
Of or relating to an endless and ineffective task.

In Greek legend Sisyphus was punished in Hades for his misdeeds in life by being condemned eternally to roll a heavy stone up a hill. As he neared the top, the stone rolled down again, so that his labor was everlasting and futile.

This is exactly how I feel trying to teach my parents technology, I love them so I keep at it knowing its futile.
post #277 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 10:59 AM

I was telling my friend about the 5xxx vs 55xx hubub and all the reasons he should get a 5xxx RTV ASAP. In the process, I discovered the KILLER FEATURE. Yes, this is the feature that kill allow ReplayTV to leap far ahead of TiVo.

So, what is it?

The new feature is:

===== Movie Rentals and Sales via your ReplayTV!!!! ======

Just imagine that DNNA partners with Blockbuster, NetFlix, or the movie studios themselves so they can sell or rent movies. Then all they have to do is allow RTV users to browse the movie catalog via the Internet or their RTV, select the movies they want to rent/buy, and the movies will be automatically downloaded to their RTV. It's incredibly cost effective for distribution, they never run out of copies of the movies to rent, and it's easy to store a massive library of movies. You could even have a "ReplayTV Movie Account" where you could keep your movies in case your RTV dies or you want to "take them with you" to a friend's house.

Anyone that can use their ReplayTV can use this feature, and it should definitely work with both 5xxx and 55xx units.

ReplayRichard:
If this is the feature you were talking about, then I'd like to receive a "maximum capacity" 5xxx unit for every room in my house and every member of my immediate family for correctly guessing...hey, it doesn't hurt to ask :-)

If this is not the feature you were talking about, then I claim this business ideal as mine, and this posting establishes my ownership of this idea. However, I'd be willing to sell this business model to DNNA for a mere 5% of all revenue derived from this idea.

Man, I can hardly wait for this to be released (and it WILL be released...it's too good to not to be released and it will make DNNA $$$millions$$$).

Darkon
post #278 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Darkon: just one word: "dreamon".

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #279 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Darkon: just one word: "dreamon".
DO you mean on the idea itself, or ever getting anything for it (or both) :D
post #280 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The idea itself has been around for a while, does VOD (video on demand) ring any bells? While not 100% same, it's functionally equivalent (minor differences, really.) Since it's basically nothing new, on what grounds do you expect compensation?

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #281 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

all of the above.

I suspect the same thing will come out on future PVRs that 'blackbox' all the shows encrypted in an armoured partition. Cable companies are likely offer these as a top set box.

5%? talk to customer service. maybe they'll cut you a check. Hang up till you get India.
post #282 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 11:31 AM

But seriously, I think this is THE idea:

Strengths
- RTV's hardware already has exactly what it needs to make this work

- Compared to NetFlix, this provides much faster viewing of your movies after selecting them (minutes or hours rather than days).

- More convenient than any other rental method. Allows anyone, anywhere (with an internet connection) to get any movie at any time. How many local movie rental stores can offer that???

Weaknesses
- Would require a pretty signficant investment on the server side, and would involve a huge amoun of disk storage and network bandwidth to support the volume of file transfers.

- Network bandwidth may be slow, but it's always getting faster. Movies could be compressed at lower quality (if desired by the user) for faster transfers.

- Compared to picking up a movie at Blockbuster, this is less convenient (assuming it takes more than 30 minutes to download a movie). But if you can stream the movie and start watching within minutes, no problem

Opportunties

- With the advent of NetFlix, Blockbuster is hurting and looking for ways to bring revenue back up. This allows them to provide a much greater selection of movies to a wide audience.

- NetFlix could use this as a method to reduce costs even further, giving an even greater competitive advantage over Blockbuster.

- Cobranding with Blockbuster (with HUGE brand name recognition) or NetFlix (less recognition, but all good), could add or restore a lot of credibility to Replay's name (since nobody has heard of DNNA)

Threats
- TiVo could eventually implement something similar, but I'd think it would take them at leat a year or more to get their hardware ready and the infrastructure in place.

- Lawsuits??? Always a concern, but there is nothing really controversial about movie rentals or sales. The only concerns would be to make sure that the movies can be easily transferred to unlicensed viewers, but this seems quite possible given the changes in th 55xx series.

- Hackers are a concern, but a software update to encrypt the files on both 55xx aned 5xxx units should address the concern. Again, you can't prevent piracy, but you do need to discourage it and make it difficult.

Overall, this seems like the big one (at least to me).
post #283 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 11:43 AM

Please don't let my comments about compensation cloud the discussion...I was just joking (well, mostly :-))

With respect to how this is different from previous ideas, the difference is in the details. VOD is a concept...I'm talking about a specific implementation (with details) that could be used by Replay.

AND, looking back to what ReplayRichard had been saying, I believe it meets his critiera for being easy to use, could be listed on the box and easily understood by the average consumer, and would be a key differentiator against TiVo (among other things).

I haven't seen anyone else raise this topic on this thread so far, so what are your comments for or against the idea itself.
post #284 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

And Hollywood would welcome this proposal with open arms. :rolleyes:

post #285 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 12:31 PM

I apolgize in advance if I'm rehashing old discussions about VOD. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that addressed discussed these specific issues.

Presentation of the idea is critical.

Think "Video Rentals" (well understood and accepted), not "Revolutionary New Internet-Based Movie Sharing Technology". (sounds difficult and probably illegal). Then just call it "Replay Video Rentals" or "Replay Movie Rentals"...not a big stretch for most people to understand and feel comfortable with.

It needs to be positioned as identical in concept and in practice to renting a movie from Blockbuster or NetFlix. A partnership with one of these well-known movie rental companies would be key because it allows people to see it as a normal extension of the rental model.

Also, the rental model has already been accepted and adopted by Hollywood. As long as the implementation is kept within the limits of the traditional rental model, I think Hollywood would accept it (eventually). Replay's intial IVS functionality was too open-ended for Hollywood to accept, but a more restricted model could work.

Black Boxes from cable companies and other PVRs are a legitmate competive concern, but this is a concern for Replay and TiVo independent of this "Replay Movie Rentals" (RMR) feature. If you want to use this as an argument against RMR, you may as well be saying that Replay and TiVo are dead no matter what they do because they will be replaced by devices from the cable companies. In any case, few if any of these companies offer anything similar to a "video rental" model with the choice, selection, and flexibilty that RMR would provide.

Not that there won't be obstacles, but I think Replay (DNNA) could do it, and it's their best opportunity for rapid growth. The good part is that most of the risk (lawsuits) would be addressed long before the feature is released because it would require negotiations for movie rights in the early stages of development.

Really, this is not any different that then iPod & iTunes model, and that's proven quite successful overall.
post #286 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkon
I apolgize in advance if I'm rehashing old discussions about VOD. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that addressed discussed these specific issues.

Presentation of the idea is critical.

Think "Video Rentals" (well understood and accepted), not "Revolutionary New Internet-Based Movie Sharing Technology". (sounds difficult and probably illegal). Then just call it "Replay Video Rentals" or "Replay Movie in the early stages of development.

Really, this is not any different that then iPod & iTunes model, and that's proven quite successful overall.
Yeah, it's a GREAT Idea, but also one a small percent of the population has thought about over and over a Monkeyzillion times. Wish more people would 'invent it' so the ones already out had some customers that knew what the product was. Don't take that as a slam. I constantly think of novel ideas and find them on the web someplace. Its a good way of 'shopping'

Here's a product by disney that does what you are saying, but it uses regular analog antenna signal to broadcast and and recieve the movie 'Beams' It's not quite Video on demand, this version is more like "I wonder what movies I'll get to chose from tonight and watch on my pvr"

here's a link
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1224994,00.asp

cow
post #287 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow

Here's a product by disney that does what you are saying, but it uses regular analog antenna signal to broadcast and and recieve the movie 'Beams' It's not quite Video on demand, this version is more like "I wonder what movies I'll get to chose from tonight and watch on my pvr"

here's a link
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1224994,00.asp

cow
Thanks for the link on the Disney box...interesting, but doomed to failure in my opinion for many reasons (only some of which are listed in the article).

My feeling is that most people think this would be a good feature, so I'm curious about why people don't think it will happen (check all that apply):

_ Technical challenges are too great at this time.
_ Legal/Licensing challenges are too great to overcome.
_ RTV will be replaced to competive products from cable providers or other companies, so what's the point?
_ Competition (cable providers) will provide similar "movie rental" functionality, so what's the point?
_ There's no way to make money renting movies.
_ It's been talked before and nothing has happened, so there's no reason to expect anything will happen now.
_ It requires a high-bandwidth connection to the Internt, and we all know this Internet thing is just a fad.
_ The market just isn't ready for this type of thing.

IMHO, I think Replay is very well positioned to take advantage of this idea...much more so than any other company out there. They have the hardware, they have a reputation for thinking outside of the box, and they have the need (desparation?) to gamble on something that has the potential for a big payoff.

If anyone thinks I'm pushing too hard of this topic I'll back off. I'm just in the habit of trying to come up with good business ideas (part of my regular job), and so far this seems like a good one (even if I don't make a dime). If others think it won't work, I'm OK with that, but I would like to understand why (and ask for everyone's patience while I become more educated).
post #288 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, VOD for RTV depends on one thing: broadband access. It sure seems to me (could just be the bugs) that a *lot* of people are dependent on the modems. No VOD for them!

Anyone have what they think are hard (firm? not runny?) numbers for what percentage of RTV users are connected to bb?

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #289 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkon
X Legal/Licensing challenges are too great to overcome.

I really think that this is the primary reason. I don't think many Content Providers really think offering their content to replay is worth it, based on the number of subscribers. It replay had millions of subscribers it would be different. But the 100k or so that have broadband enabled units probably aren't to interesting to the content providers.

Personally, I thought iChannels (what the vaporware VOD product for the 4k series was called) was really neat. I would love to see Content Providers put there shows for download. Heck if the content was good enough I would pay for it (HBO on demand :D).
post #290 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 02:18 PM

Even with broadband it will still take a looooong time to download a DVD quality movie. I get more bandwidth out of Netflix and the US postal service than I do out of my cable modem.

I've been using Netflix for about 6 months and any VOD solution would have to be much much cheaper for me to drop netflix.
post #291 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
I really think that this is the primary reason. I don't think many Content Providers really think offering their content to replay is worth it, based on the number of subscribers. It replay had millions of subscribers it would be different. But the 100k or so that have broadband enabled units probably aren't to interesting to the content providers.

Personally, I thought iChannels (what the vaporware VOD product for the 4k series was called) was really neat. I would love to see Content Providers put there shows for download. Heck if the content was good enough I would pay for it (HBO on demand :D).
I agree that this is an issue. That's why I think the best approach would be for Replay to partner with an existing company (Blockbuster or NetFlix) that already has the agreements in place.

Think of it in the reverse, Blockbuster is losing market share to direct competitors like NetFlix and indirect competitors such as Replay/TiVo (who'se users can more easily watch cable content and have less time for movie rentals). By partnering with Replay, they gain a competitive advantage against NetFlix by having an improved distribution model, and they make their indirect competitor a key partner that brings them lost revenue.

Or NetFlix can even further reduce their costs by getting rid of all the mailing costs they incur with shipping DVDs back and forth.

Both sitautions are a win-win scenario for Replay and the partner and shouldn't require major licensing efforts by Replay with each content provider. And both companies will always have a far greater movie selection than any cable company or movie channel can offer, so it's a big win for the users.
post #292 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dwalton22
Even with broadband it will still take a looooong time to download a DVD quality movie. I get more bandwidth out of Netflix and the US postal service than I do out of my cable modem.

I've been using Netflix for about 6 months and any VOD solution would have to be much much cheaper for me to drop netflix.
To address your point and that of leesweet"

I agree this is an important factor, however some things to keep in mind:

1) Do you really need DVD quality, or would you accept High, Medium, or Low Replay TV quality (which is probably significantly smaller in file size). What if the costs were less for each type? I'm guessing High quality would be acceptable because you are accepting it today.

2) Transfer time - What IS the transfer time for 2 hour H, M, or L quality Replay file? Is this really longer than the turnaround time to send a DVD to NetFlix and get a new one back in the mail? Also, remember that IVS for Replay users will be gated by the upload bandwidth of the sender. In most cases (DSL or Cable) this is signifcantly slower than the download speed, so a "high bandwidth rental server system" could be much faster than the current IVS speeds.

As far as the # of Replay users with high bandwidth connections, that's important for getting revenue from the rentals, but not as important if we are just talking about selling more RTV units. Many people will buy one device over another because it has a feature they may potentially use, even if they won't use it immediately. How many people bought an RTV because it could share files in their house and across the internet, but aren't actually using this feature? I'd guess quite a few.
post #293 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I came off like your idea wasn't good when it is. It's just been thought of before over and over. Comming up with the idea shows some intelligence; I'm not trying to take that away from you.

It would be great for ReplayTV to do what you are saying if:
>>they can actually land the contract
>>they can rewire a PVR to protect shows
>>they can compete with 'unbranded' PVRs in cable boxes
>>many legal issues can be resolved
etc

There are other issues too. if people start downloading movies all the time, then ip providers will raise their rates or start changing their pricing to a tier scheme.

Areas would start to get internet connested and companies would have to devide neighborhoods into smaller sectors and add a bunch of hardware(finally taking advantage of the speeds fiberoptic backbones have to offer)

The money might not be in producing PVR hardware. The money might be getting the contracts to make the software for nonbranded boxes or it might be in making the non branded boxes to run a different companies' software. So there's two divisions of ReplayTV that would have be considered by DNNA.

yak yak yak

cow
post #294 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

This is not a new idea at all. As Scyber pointed out, this was the basic idea for IChannels which Replay said was coming soon when the 4000's were released.

Now is it a good idea? Certainly! New? Certainly not!

Blockbuster actually tried this idea a couple of years ago with (of all companies) Enron! They were going to deliver movies using Enron's broadband division to people's computers via the internet. But they ran into roadblocks from the entertainment industry. The MPAA said that Blockbuster didn't have the right to do what they proposed, and contracts would have to be negotiated for them to proceed. The idea died out, actually a little before Enron went bust (another failed company we can blame on the MPAA?)
post #295 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 03:03 PM

#1 - I think DVDs look like crap now that I have HD so yeh, I would want to have DVD quality :)

#2 - The actual movie part of a DVD is normally around 5 or 6G...I don't want to think about how long that would take to download :( That and DNNA would have to have a massive server farm to be able to host all of this video...it would cost them a lot of $$$ for the equipment and to get a big enough pipe to the internet to host it all at a decent speed.

As for netflix, their bandwidth depends on how many movies you are allowed to have out at one time. 3 is the default but I'm doing 5 and I almost always have at least one or two movies laying around to watch.

I'm not saying its not a cool idea but the economics of it are a challenge given the amount of money it would cost them to provide decent service.
post #296 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

So has RR given any clue when we're gonna find out?

(i refuse to read through this entire thread)
post #297 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 03:28 PM

Don't worry icecow, I'm not offended or taking it personally. Just consider my refusal to let this discussion die easily as "new RTV user" enthusiasm for what these devices are potentially capable of.

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow

It would be great for ReplayTV to do what you are saying if:
etc

There are other issues too. if people start downloading movies all the time, then ip providers will raise their rates or start changing their pricing to a tier scheme.

This is definitely key. I think a partner is essential and the number of viable partners is pretty small.

Given what I've read around these boards and my understanding of hardware and software, my guess is that it should be possible to create an OS update that would allow "robust" (not necessarily bulletproof) projection. However, it would almost certainly be on par with what already exists for DVDs (for which there are many tools for extracting files from CSS encrypted media and are available all over the internet for illegal downloading).

Again, I believe this issue is irrelevant with respect to the "Replay Rental" topic. Not that it isn't relevant to Replay in the larger picture though.

However, to your point about building nonbranded boxes for other companies, I'm sure this is something Replay is doing (and TiVo has already done). And assuming this is a vialble model, this feature is just as valid in those situations.

Yeah, but that's nothing new for Replay, and in this case, it's a normal part of business.

Finally, Internet bandwidth is a general issue, not a Replay issue, but it is a potential factor in the success of this business opportunity. However, in situations like this, you sometimes have to gamble on which way you think the future is going to go.

You can make the assumption that network bandwidth will increase to meet the demand, or you can assume that investment in network infrastructure will remain static and usage will increase to the point that everything slows down to a crawl and become unusable.

Network bandwidth is probably good enough now and the next year or two. And the things that would cause it to become unacceptable are probably the same things that would be making Replay very successful. It's possible that Replay could become a victim of their own success, but if that occurs there will probably be many other companies making money off high-bandwidth applications that will be pushing for an infrastructure upgrade.

The nice thing about this feature though is that it probably doesn't require Replay or their potential partner to "bet the company" on the success of this feature alone. It should be incremental revenue and not their primary revenue source, so if it doesn't take off, they are still a viable company (all things considered).

Again, Replay has to find something to keep them in the market, and this seems like the best idea I've seen (whether or not it's my idea).

OK, I'll hang back a while and let others talk :)
post #298 of 329 Old 08-21-2003, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baraka
ability to cut out commercials or anything for that matter right on the unit.
from an alt.video.ptv.replaytv reply I posted a while back..
> Recently I wanted to copy three programs recorded on my unit to tape.
> Replay does not allow me to select multiple programs then record them
> automatically. I had to copy them individually. What I really wanted
> was to start the recording and go bed and have them ready for me in
> the morning.

I agree; I was thinking about this just the other day, only I'm wanting something slightly more complicated.

I'd like to see ReplayTV integrate a "playlist" capability into their units, that would allow the user to set start/stop markers for recorded programs and later view/play the programs either normally or using the defined markers. Additionally, the user should be able to create custom playlists, consisting of any number of playlist segments from one or more shows -- turning the ReplayTV into a virtual digital video editor (perhaps sans any special effects).

The custom playlists could then be selected via the Replay Guide like any other recorded program, for output to tape -- or even streaming across the network. Of course, if you've setup an output/input loopback feed on your Replay, you could then generate a new single recording from the customized playlist -- albeit via a second digital conversion.

The toughest obstacle I can think of is the handling of transitions between marked segments, especially if/when the segments are coming from different recorded programs -- and maybe even from remote ReplayTV units via streaming. The ReplayTV would need to have some ability to buffer the video to insure smooth transitions.

All other hopes aside, it would be great if RTV could at least add the ability to do some of this with locally-stored programs, greatly improving the "save to tape" capabilities. (And it *would* effectively turn the ReplayTV into a basic home video editor.)

I'd kill for RTV to be able to regenerate a new file of the "edited" video, right on the RTV.

KK

Other joy triggers include...
- stable 50xx units (now promised)
- access to recording priorities and "to be recorded" lists
- better support for DVArchive-like programs
- MP3 and photo streaming (contrary to Richard's opinion, I've
found this to be a very popular feature, especially when
understood by the consumer -- with photo streaming and
photo screensaver being a higher priority)

p.s. I'm definitely thinking the ReplayTV->PC file transfer capability would be a major plus over Tivo and the competition. Heck, it's what got *me* to finally buy a PVR a year ago, and the main reason I'm still onboard with RTV and purchased some for family members. (Specifically, finding DVArchive is what put me over the top. Sure would be nice if Gerry got some royalties from ReplayTV.)
post #299 of 329 Old 08-22-2003, 09:44 PM

I'm sure this isn't the answer, but after just setting up a 4504 to go with my two 4080 units, one simple feature I'd have loved to have -- transfer the list of added/removed channels from one machine to another. All systems are connected to Basic CATV and DirecTV, and it's a real pain going through the channel list to remove all the channels I don't actually receive.
post #300 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dwalton22

As for netflix, their bandwidth depends on how many movies you are allowed to have out at one time. 3 is the default but I'm doing 5 and I almost always have at least one or two movies laying around to watch.
What do you mean by Netflix's bandwidth? Their bandwidth to the post office? It would prob be cheaper for Netflix to pay for send and return postage rather than pay for transmission of 4-8GB of data.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page