What are they thinking over there at ReplayTV??? - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #301 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bandwidth is simply the measure of how much data gets from one place to another over a period of time.

A stationwagon full of dvd's (or computer data) may take a long time to get from one place to another, but it has massive amounts of bandwith because the amount of data move is so great (especially if DVD's are 6 GB each). Where as sending data over the internet may be really quick, but it may not be super high bandwith because the amont of data being sent is reatively low...

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
Why not just make a USB toaster?

Try this, it's even better then a toaster:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/igrill.shtml
post #303 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 01:41 PM

So, since I can order a 55xx from J and R now:

Replay Richard, tell us what the new features are.

If you don't want to know, don't ask. The truth is brutal, prepare for pain.
post #304 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 02:13 PM

I think the NetflixOnDemand thing is pretty cool. The snag is that they would need to prevent those movies from ending up on a PC somewhere. As the DVD people found out, encryption is not the answer. They would have to prevent the movies from leaving the RTV box in the first place.

Since RTV would be stupid to remove a popular feature from their machines :), they couldn't remove the lan-sharing feature, but maybe they would take steps to close it up to outside software, like DVA. That would suck for us. Also, I think the availability of stuff like DVA has helped some people choose RTV over TiVo (like me).

In addition, it wouldn't be that hard to set up a PC as a router and simply grab the movie on it's way into the RTV. However, this takes alot more knowlege & hardware than using DVA. Relatively few poeple would do this.

Also, they would need to limit the number of films stored on an RTV, otherwise someone could sign up, request 30 movies and then cancel and join up again a few months later when they are done watching them.

If they could get the snags out, it would be a killer feature. (Although I would keep my netflix account)
post #305 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, let me try - they are going to put out their own version of DVarchive, cripled maybe but essentially allowing to store shows on PC and stream them back - thus eliminating people trying to hack the hard drives and further development of the original application as it might become unconfortably dangerous for them, in combination with rtvtools and videolan streaming plugins and such. They wont provide any customer support for it, and they can use the kernel from the open source project.
post #306 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jnairb
I'm sure this isn't the answer, but after just setting up a 4504 to go with my two 4080 units, one simple feature I'd have loved to have -- transfer the list of added/removed channels from one machine to another. All systems are connected to Basic CATV and DirecTV, and it's a real pain going through the channel list to remove all the channels I don't actually receive.
Agreed, and I'd sent this off as a feature request to 'wishlist@replaytv.com' ages ago. But don't expect I'll ever see it hit the light of day. (sniffle)

And not only should we be able to tranfer this info between ReplayTVs, MyReplayTV.com should provide us the ability to granularly upload portions of our ReplayTV configs to the website for backup. We could then "restore" a Channel Guide configuration to any one of the ReplayTVs within the home.

Heck, while we're on the subject, I should be able to edit and save any of my Channel Guide custom lineups right on MyReplayTV.com, and then flag them for download to a target ReplayTV on its next connection.

Of course, I'd also like MyReplayTV.com to change how it registers users and ReplayTV units. MyReplayTV.com needs to be overhauled to allow multiple ReplayTV units per login, and to treat the collective ReplayTV units under a single login as a recording "hive" -- shifting recordings between units, as needed. (Also, it was a bit startling to find out that the previous owner of my ReplayTV unit was still able to login to MyReplayTV.com and see *my* unit's setup.)
post #307 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish we could see the wishlist compiled of wishlist@replay.com.. er, after someone cleaned out all the repeats and garbage.

cow
post #308 of 329 Old 08-27-2003, 06:59 PM

I still think they are going to offer USB keyboards and free email to subscribers with still picture attachment capability.
post #309 of 329 Old 09-01-2003, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loren Kruse.

ReplayRichard:

You indicated in your original message 2. To introduce two new features which make the product more usable

but you also state -

What about the cool features we want MP3 streaming, To Do Lists, buffer capture, and photo sharing. I also noticed you didn't want to elaborate one way or the other on MP3 streaming or local storage...JBarr and I desperatly want MP3 capability ;)

Since the competition already has these features couldn't you elaborate on which ones if any the ReplayTV would get?

Again...ReplayRichard just two new features total?

Ok perhaps you could answer this one - will your mom get her wish and be happy when ReplayTV releases the new software? (Yes / No) ;)
ReplayRichard, I would like to add my voice to this camp to add a music feature. The single most useful feature that you could add for me would be to add support for music. This could be an MP3 (from your PC) or other music (from the Internet) streaming feature. My mother may not use it, but a huge audience of people who would buy a PVR, but are NOT geeks would use it. If you add the "geeks" to this group (myself included), many of whom would also use it , then it has fairly mass appeal to your target market. Come to think of it, my mother might use the Internet music streaming feature, if it were easy to use.

Apparently TiVo thinks music support is important. MP3 streaming is now available on the TiVo (with the new Media Option). I am a major Replay fan, but the "Top Dog" (in market share terms), which is TiVo, does have this feature.

--Jayme

--Jayme
I want my MP3 ReplayTV !!
post #310 of 329 Old 09-01-2003, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wonder if Richard follows what is going on at Tivo?

:rolleyes:

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #311 of 329 Old 09-01-2003, 03:00 PM

If the features are ones that are already out on other systems, I would think that Replay would have told us.
post #312 of 329 Old 09-01-2003, 08:49 PM

Argh... 16 pages and no answer! Well here's my wishes, since I know someone's listening.

-Email me in certain situations. The first thing I can think of is to email me when a certain Replay channel records a new show. I can set up a channel based on the description field ("Blue Man Group" or something) that I know won't show up too often, but I'll be sure to know it's waitin' for me when it does.

-Sort by recording date (someone mentioned something like this already..i like the idea of a 'home page' that displays recent shows etc.)

-Instant scheduling via web. I can do this with Personal ReplayGuide* but it's not working for me anymore :( When it did, it was faaaaaaaast to load (compared to myrtv.com) and obviously instant. (Also myrtv.com doesn't work on any mac os x browser.)
An added bonus would be to preserve or delete shows by web.

* available at replayguide dot sf dot net (AVS wouldn't let me post a url, i guess my charming smile wasn't enough to convince them)
post #313 of 329 Old 09-01-2003, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

My mother's not very high tech, nor does she find it amusing when people are left wondering what the two new cool features are for 3+ weeks.
post #314 of 329 Old 09-02-2003, 08:27 AM

ReplayRichard,

This is a bit off-topic, but it seems like some people really hate the pause ads, and others don't mind. So why not add a preference to allow people to turn them off? In the long-term, you could look at accepting 3rd party pause ads, and allowing users to turn them on and off by category (for example, show me Replay ads, movie ads, and ads for new TV shows, but no car ads or collect-call ads).

This is really a win-win situation for DNNA and Replay users, as people who complain about the ads can turn them off, and people who like the ads can pick what they want to see.
post #315 of 329 Old 09-02-2003, 02:51 PM

From only dog to under dog. Does replay really know what the customer wants?
post #316 of 329 Old 09-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

This just might be it - email notification of schedule conflicts, newly recorded shows and such. It doesnt even have to be on replaytv unit, it can be done on my.replayTV site.

Quote:
Originally posted by jofo
Argh... 16 pages and no answer! Well here's my wishes, since I know someone's listening.

-Email me in certain situations. The first thing I can think of is to email me when a certain Replay channel records a new show. I can set up a channel based on the description field ("Blue Man Group" or something) that I know won't show up too often, but I'll be sure to know it's waitin' for me when it does.

-Sort by recording date (someone mentioned something like this already..i like the idea of a 'home page' that displays recent shows etc.)

-Instant scheduling via web. I can do this with Personal ReplayGuide* but it's not working for me anymore :( When it did, it was faaaaaaaast to load (compared to myrtv.com) and obviously instant. (Also myrtv.com doesn't work on any mac os x browser.)
An added bonus would be to preserve or delete shows by web.

* available at replayguide dot sf dot net (AVS wouldn't let me post a url, i guess my charming smile wasn't enough to convince them)
post #317 of 329 Old 09-04-2003, 03:01 PM
pda

>>Our next release has two goals:
>>1. To make the product Rock Solid.
>>2. To introduce two new features which make the product more usable.
>>(Hell, one of them is flat-out stunning.)

I am so please to hear the software engineers set the high goal to make the ReplayTV ROCK SOLID. I have 5040 for almost a year. The unit is far from SOLID! The major problem with 5040 is the unit records many 1 minute shows in a ratio of 1 to 10. I was told the 1 minute show is the result of the poor TV signal, but the TV signal is strong enough for my 20 years old TV. To me, this is more like a hardware problem, maybe it is a poor quality of the TV tunner in 5040. Would an improve software make up the poor TV tunner in 5040? Would anyone like to share your 5040 experince and thoughts about the NO TV SIGNAL problem?
post #318 of 329 Old 09-04-2003, 03:23 PM

OK I think we have waited long enough. What are the new features?!?!
post #319 of 329 Old 09-04-2003, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieman
OK I think we have waited long enough. What are the new features?!?!
Find out here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=2631763
post #320 of 329 Old 09-04-2003, 11:15 PM

Judging from richards comment about finding the right tree in response to someones (I forget who and am too lazy to reread the post) comment on improved CA, I think it is the ability to "mark" commercials in your shows. Essentially setting your own CA points.

Code is pretty simple

IF (HitJumpStart)
JumpTo(NextJumpEnd())

Or even better, the ability to actually EDIT your shows right on the box. We can do both these things now, but it's a pain. Pull them to PC, cut up, push back.

I think this would be great for movies I want to keep, but for one use shows, like a weekly sitcom, I don't watch them twice, so setting my own CA would not get me much.

With all that said, legally, this couldn't be touched by Hollywood. The commercials are still there, until the USER chooses to either remove them or sit through and insert jump points.
post #321 of 329 Old 09-05-2003, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just because it is legal doesn't mean that someone won't sue you into financial ruin.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #322 of 329 Old 09-05-2003, 12:41 PM

It does if there's a precedent to get the case thrown out.

You just hire a lawyer to file a motion for dismisall.

In this case, it would be a no-brainer. No judge would try this case.

Couple thousand in legal fees, maybe 5 figures. Pocket change.
post #323 of 329 Old 09-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FlipFlop
This hint makes me think it is some alternate form of commercial advance / 30 second skip. WE could use commercial advance before, but THEY (5500 owners) won't be able to, so they need some alternative.
Even if it was to be some sort of alternate form of CA would that get DNNA out of the hot water that Sonic Blue was in? True the 5500 machine will be lacking commercial advance, but skipping commercials with CA has ALWAYS been a user option just like fast forward. We could elect to turn it off if we wanted to, yet that did not satisfy Hollywood. So, an alternative CA seems to me just another form of trouble for our new DNNA owners. A rose by anyother name?
post #324 of 329 Old 09-18-2003, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by richierich
...The new features will be commercial advance (flat-out stunning) and internet video sharing! Commercial advance is the one feature that would keep me from ever purchasing a TiVo (because it lacks that function).
Maybe I misunderstood, but I *thought* that SonicBlue (former owner, pre-bankruptcy) had to agree never to release a model after the 5040/5080/5160/5320 series with commercial advance and furhtermore had to stop making that line this year.

Insert here some witty quote or observation.
post #325 of 329 Old 09-18-2003, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

You are correct. He was kidding
post #326 of 329 Old 09-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by graystrickland
Maybe I misunderstood, but I *thought* that SonicBlue (former owner, pre-bankruptcy) had to agree never to release a model after the 5040/5080/5160/5320 series with commercial advance and furhtermore had to stop making that line this year.
They didn't have to agree to anything. DNNA voluntarily decided not to include those features any more on future models. The possibility of being sued probably influenced their decision. But the entertainment industry's lawsuit against SB hadn't even gone to trial before SB declared for bankruptcy and DNNA bought them.

If you look at DNNA's new release announcing their decision, they left open the possibility that they would use the disputed features at a later date.
post #327 of 329 Old 09-18-2003, 07:59 PM

Recordng live buffering retroactively is an outstanding idea. I've wanted this for a while. I'll be watching a show for half an hour, realize it's a really good one (or movie, or whatever) and want to record it so my girlfriend can check it out or whatever. Right now I can hit rewind and pause and just wait but.. you'd think it'd be easy for the RTV to just take that buffer which is already there and start a recording.. yeah.. awesome idea.

Oh and it'd be nice if my IR blaster didn't occasionally eff up. I just about got castrated today when she got home and her soap actually turned out to be a one hour recording of channel 1 instead of channel 12. Ugh.
post #328 of 329 Old 09-18-2003, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayRichard

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by richierich
Commercial advance is the one feature that would keep me from ever purchasing a TiVo (because it lacks that function). Now that I have become accustomed to it, I ain't going back!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean, it's the only feature you've seen on a DVR so far that would make you buy a Replay over a TiVo... hmm.

Did you think we were going to sit back and watch them win? ;)

-RB
Does this go with ReplayRichard saying it's a feature that will make someone buy a Replay over the competition? How can he be so sure?

Just asking :)
post #329 of 329 Old 09-19-2003, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
Does this go with ReplayRichard saying it's a feature that will make someone buy a Replay over the competition? How can he be so sure?
Because that's the feature! Some kind of hypnotic mind control.

DNNA plans on licensing the technology to advertisers too.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page