What are they thinking over there at ReplayTV??? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to say that my wife and I love our RTV. I have one problem that nobody can help with and was hoping that someone here can help me. We recently just got a HDTV box (motorola DCT-5100), no the IR Blaster will not change the channels correctly. I have tried every code in their list with no success. Can someone PLEASE tell me how to correct this problem? The channel (even though not HD through the replay unit) is so much cleaner than the standard channel, I can't go back to the digital box. Please, we have not successfully recorded a show since the addition of the new box!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

This whole thread was a poll for replayTV to decide on which two features to work for, somehow I think there was none in works when the thread started.
post #183 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 01:00 PM

I know this thread was not specifically for my question, but seemed to be some people with a brain on their shoulders and was hoping they could help me out. Help desk not too helpful on this topic
post #184 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 01:17 PM

Are these 'stunning' features actually new features, or rather radical changes in the interface to enhance ease of use (thus appealing to the average 'mom')?

Over the next year or so, I would like to see DNNA get a HD PVR on the market w/a substantial recording capacity (larger hard drive or more efficient encoding) with dual HD Cable compatible tuners.

While it isn't an enhancement to the current RTV, I think that DNNA needs to start addressing the next generation of hardware while that market continues to develop. Personally I will be moving to a HD television in 2004 and dread the probability of having to go back to tape (DVHS)...or converting to TIVO
post #185 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
By the time it makes sense to have an HD PVR, I believe that RTV and Tivo will both have them.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #186 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 02:16 PM

It is an issue of sense...

Tivo obviously has some sense because they have announced plans for a HD PVR...where's Replay?

Zenith has some sense becuase they are introducing their own PVR to the market...where's Replay?

Cable and Satellite companies are also pushing to add PVR capabilities ... where's Replay?

DNNA should be moving to offer a product that appeals to the millions of users who have purchased HD equipment...a market that currently has few recording options (most of which seem to be tape based).
post #187 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 02:41 PM
koz

Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
Enter the url of a jpg web cam or any other graphic (animated or static), and replay uses it for pause & screen saver.

I'm thinking the local satellite whether loop.
That'd be a nice built-in feature. I'm doing it at home already with a timed shell script and httpfs.
post #188 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by oversight

Tivo obviously has some sense because they have announced plans for a HD PVR...where's Replay?

Zenith has some sense becuase they are introducing their own PVR to the market...where's Replay?

Cable and Satellite companies are also pushing to add PVR capabilities ... where's Replay?

DNNA should be moving to offer a product that appeals to the millions of users who have purchased HD equipment...a market that currently has few recording options (most of which seem to be tape based).
DNNA just got a company with a million technical details plopped into their hands. They've had it for what, three months?

I have no need to defend DNNA, but consider holding off those questions for eight months
post #189 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 03:17 PM

I think the stunning feature will be use of the Internet for content delivery.

But what about the clues?

Lead to water, make him Fish....

There has to be something there, Richard normally says things for a reason....

No more song of the day at Bullwinkle.org to check for clues...
post #190 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 03:45 PM

Heh alyosha, I had the exact same thought...
post #191 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 04:20 PM

I have a tivo and a replay. The house considers the tivo the winner hands down for ease of use and functions. The picture is better too.

The only "stunning" feature that comes to mind is getting rid of the guide fee. They would bury tivo.
post #192 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 04:25 PM

Quote:

To answer your thrice-asked question, DNNA is exactly where it needs to be: getting the ReplayTV product line back on track after it almost got run into the ground by SB.

DNNA is in business to make money. When they see a suitable market for an HD version of their product, I am confident that they will oblige. In the meantime, however, I'd bet that 99% of owners on this board would prefer that they concentrate on stabilization of the current product line and development of new features instead of jumping on the HDTV bandwagon.

The thing I love most about deadlines is the wonderful WHOOSHing sound they make as they go past.
post #193 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

I think Ghoul called it correctly: video-conferencing, ala Apple's iSight.

The trick is to make it fool-proof to set up and operate.

My choice for the 2nd new feature: the "accelerator" which allows you to watch a show at 20% or 30% faster speed. It has to have smooth play, and the audio should be pitch-shifted to a normal pitch, so it doesn't sound like The Chipmunks.

The Grocers' Apostrophe, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #194 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 06:18 PM

Quote:
...Including working from behind firewalls/routers/NAT devices. H323 does not like NAT, and at least one side needs a public facing address or forwarder to start the conversation.

Shining the flashlight of reason into the dark corners of stupidity for over three and a half decades!
ccie.tv
post #195 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 06:20 PM

I understand that DNNA just had a bunch of stuff dropped in their laps and am not criticizing them for inactivity (at this point). I also agree with you BeefStu that DNNA is working to get RTV back on track, as well it should. By all means, DNNA should continue to stabilize and enhance the current platform, yet they should also be planning for the next.

While I have no doubt that there are plans to eventually offer an HD solution, I would prefer to see them establish a presence in this market sooner, rather than later. As the market for HD displays and the availability of HD programming grows, there will also be a growing demand for HD capable recording devices (of which there are few choices available). It seems to me, that this would be a good opportunity for DNNA to exploit their technology, build the RTV brand and marketshare, and maybe turn more people on to the joys of PVR in a new digital world that is not already dominated by the VCR.

I can’t wait to see what DNNA puts together with the resources they have available to them. Hopefully we will start to see that future after CES in January.
post #196 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 06:50 PM
koz

Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
Enter the url of a jpg web cam or any other graphic (animated or static), and replay uses it for pause & screen saver.

I'm thinking the local satellite whether loop.
You can do that right now with a little bit of software. I have a linux server that fetches the radar every 5 minutes and updates the pause screen.
post #197 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chmilar
I think Ghoul called it correctly: video-conferencing, ala Apple's iSight.

My choice for the 2nd new feature: the "accelerator" which allows you to watch a show at 20% or 30% faster speed. It has to have smooth play, and the audio should be pitch-shifted to a normal pitch, so it doesn't sound like The Chipmunks.
I'd like to point out for general educational purposes that after the pitch shift there still remains the 'chipmonk' effect.

There is a third factor--besides speed and pitch shifting--called 'formant' (sp) that --luckily and happily--can also be shifted to remove the 'chipmonk effect'

From where I stand the "speed up" feature is far more realistic and easy to implement then people might think. We just don't think about formant or speeding up video that looks and sounds good on a daily basis.

cow
post #198 of 329 Old 08-14-2003, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully we will start to see that future after CES in January.
I sure would like to go to the CES this year, but I dont know any computer vendors or anything right now. Could someone possibly hook me up? or know a sure fire way to get some free tickets (or low cost tickets),

cow
post #199 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
If it included the next drawing's winning lottery numbers, then you'd have something!
I'm pretty sure this won't be one of the new features, because ReplayTV has learned its lesson with Commercial Advance. Can you imagine how many customer complaints they would have to field when people found out the numbers shown were only right about 90% of the time?
post #200 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The FCAA would shut them down immediately (that's Fortune Cookie
Association of America) for patent infringement, maybe even find a way
to morph it into a DMCA violation too. :)
post #201 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

ReplayRichard:

You indicated in your original message 2. To introduce two new features which make the product more usable

but you also state -

Quote:
It is my opinion that MP3 Streaming or local storage, To Do Lists, buffer capture, and photos are all "cool", but none of them helps the customer decide at retail to buy a product from the underdog

The feature I'm teasing with, and I know that is cruel, will help customers make just that decision. At least, that is my opinion.
What about the cool features we want MP3 streaming, To Do Lists, buffer capture, and photo sharing. I also noticed you didn't want to elaborate one way or the other on MP3 streaming or local storage...JBarr and I desperatly want MP3 capability ;)

Since the competition already has these features couldn't you elaborate on which ones if any the ReplayTV would get?

Again...ReplayRichard just two new features total?

Ok perhaps you could answer this one - will your mom get her wish and be happy when ReplayTV releases the new software? (Yes / No) ;)

Loren
post #202 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

ReplayRichard you also state way back in the Sonic days that -
Quote:
Replay's just have much more hardware power than TiVos: Ethernet, Digital Audio Out, Commercial Skip. And we’re going to push that hardware to do even more. Did I mention they’d be easy to use?
Could you elaborate on the part be easy to use? What is ReplayTV planning to do there?

Loren
post #203 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

You have a free button on the remote. So now, if you pause the screen, you can immediately copy whatever is on the screen to your photo buffer. A safed jpg. Can be done with software. And would be cool to even non-techies.

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
post #204 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 10:08 AM

ReplayRichard,

Please, can the firmware update add support for the new set top boxes?

Sony, Zenith, and Samsung have HD DirecTV receivers that supply a nice 480i (standard definition) signal, but our ReplayTV 5040 won't control any of these boxes with a serial cable. And only the Samsung is supported with the IR Blaster.

Comcast will have HD Cable available through most of the country in 2004. It is already active in many areas. But our ReplayTV can't control Comcast's HD Cable box (Motorola 5100). Again, there is a nice 480i signal to record, but our Replay can't change channels.

Unless Replay can add the support necessary to control these boxes, folks buying HDTVs will have no choice but to dump their ReplayTVs.

We don't need to record HD on our Replays. We just need to control the boxes that receive HD.
post #205 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by hroeder
You have a free button on the remote. So now, if you pause the screen, you can immediately copy whatever is on the screen to your photo buffer. A safed jpg. Can be done with software. And would be cool to even non-techies.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=272950
post #206 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayRichard

Oh, there's a hint... my mother would use the more exciting of the two features. My mother, just for clarification, isn't a geek.
-RB
I'm not a geek either. I'm sure that when the time is ripe you'll announce the two features and hopefully I'll be impressed.

Right now I'm impressed with the 4500's ReplayTV but unfortunately can't say the same about the 5000's. No matter what else you do you've gotta' make these gadgets work at least as reliably as TiVo does. As soon as your swap program is finalized I'll want to trade my 5040 for a 4500 model. Is there any possibility that ReplayTV will let me upgrade to a larger capacity unit than a 4504 if I pay the difference?

Personally, I'd like to see a bottom line basic model which offers little more than a tapeless HD video recorder with an attractive EPG and a disc sized recording buffer which doesn't get deleted when changing channels or inputs, or when getting an EPG download. The only reason I even care about ethernet or broadband capability is 'cause then the ReplayTV unit doesn't have to make a toll call.

I know here at these Forums most PVR fans want features. So do whatever your marketing people decide makes sense, but hopefully without TiVo's stylized manipulative ********. It's too bad Commercial Advance is too hot for your legal department to currently handle. The neat thing about it is that it works quite well without any user intervention.
post #207 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

What is the thought of having ReplayTV mark a program as unwatched, partially watched, or watched, using an icon?

Loren
post #208 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

I guess if they ever activated the USB port we could use it for -

- Internet Access (Wireless 802.11x)
- Keyboard Hookup - Wireless Keyboard would be cool - internet / email browsing and easier searching for movies etc.
- Hard Drive hookup
- Webcam?

what else? any other ideas?

Loren
post #209 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 02:42 PM

stunning? Mom?

1) replaceable fashion color bezels

2) hardware prices less than Tivo with no guide subscription fees
post #210 of 329 Old 08-15-2003, 04:30 PM

Well, we have an MPEG2 encoder and an MPEG2 decoder and a broadband connection (at least you might). Hmmm. Could it be... a videophone? Only one problem - delay. You'd need a much lower-delay mode, but the encoder might be able to do it. And it would have to be at much lower resolution and quality.

However, there are a bunch of issues to get that to work right. Sending videos of the kids is much more practical.

-- Randell
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page