Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 113 Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkling819 View Post

Just finished installing WD3200JB in a 55XX Replay unit...

Nice, 320GB! Does the OS allow you to use it all?
How much storage space is available for recordings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkling819 View Post

Just finished installing WD3200JB in a 55XX Replay unit and there was an issue that prolonged the install. I was using the RTVPatch program installing a single drive and followed the directions exactly. The problem occurred when I first started the Replay unit, it would cycle the please wait screen continually. The fix was to move the jumper from Master, like it said in the instructions, to Cable Select.

I discovered this after I had googled the symptoms and followed some of the advice that existed. I spent 2hrs 40 minutes performing a low-level diagnostics to see if I had some bad sectors(none found). Also I removed all the inputs to see if that would fix the issue. Only after looking at my old drive did I realize that Cable select was jumpered. Once I changed it, all was good.

I learned not to put the Replay back together until I was sure the unit could get past the Please wait screen and I could see the basic functionality was there. This is dangerous because the power supply is exposed. I have a spot in my entertainment center that I can close a door to keep out fingers and pets. If this bothers you put the cover on without the screws after you have placed the unplugged unit where you are to test it.

The RTVPatch process was the quickest part of the process. If you do not want to copy your existing shows and you know how to connect a harddrive then you can get this done in 30 minutes easily. It took me longer to move the furniture and note all the connections than to patch the replay unit( excluding the low-level format which did not need to be done)

Gary has updated his trouble shooting web page with the jumper information. That information was already contained in the RTVPatch documentation. Since you started with RTVPatch, looking at that page would have made sense. But, since you had problems with it booting, it made sense to copy the jumper information to that page as well...

Henry
post #93 of 113 Old 06-18-2007, 08:07 AM

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I just bought a Replay TV 5040 on ebay with upgraded hard drive (250G). I have done the real simple hook-up (red-white-yellow cables to/from replay tv and cable box and to/from replay tv and TV) with a telephone line into a wall jack. Have had the Please Wait screen now for over an hour...my fourth or fifth time trying it and just waiting. The seller recommended I register on this forum and your post was the only one I could find that mentioned the 'Please Wait'. Please help! Thank you.
Susan
post #94 of 113 Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbasu View Post

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I just bought a Replay TV 5040 on ebay with upgraded hard drive (250G). I have done the real simple hook-up (red-white-yellow cables to/from replay tv and cable box and to/from replay tv and TV) with a telephone line into a wall jack. Have had the Please Wait screen now for over an hour...my fourth or fifth time trying it and just waiting. The seller recommended I register on this forum and your post was the only one I could find that mentioned the 'Please Wait'. Please help! Thank you.
Susan

You'll want to start here and proceed to here and here. In addition, I've written some step-by-step instructions here where you might want to register as well...

Henry
post #95 of 113 Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Well, I now have the unit back with a new hard drive in it, and am now stuck on setting up the Scientific Altanta Explorer 2100 code in the on-screen set-up. None of them turn the box on. Did a search online as well as the replaytv site however, no other codes worked. Need some more help! Thank you! Susan
post #96 of 113 Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Hello,
I have a 4xxx series lifetime activated replaytv unit. It was 160 hr unit, and one of the hard drives went. I still had a working 80 drive in the unit. so I reimaged the drive. The unot now boots up no problem, but I am stuck on the activation nag screen.

I tried to force the net connect using the 243 zones. but it doesn't seem to connect. Before the hard drive failure the network connected fine. So there wouldn't be any reason that the nic has since failed... I have been wrong before.

Is there in tips that I can do to try to get htis unit to connect so I can get past the activation nag screen.

Rememebr I cannot access any menu information. so telling me to manually setup the network info will not work.

Thanks for any help.
post #97 of 113 Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 PM

My upgraded 3060 is starting to show its age. Whenever I hit the guide button the unit reboots. It looks like it is still recording and working fine but I can no longer get to the replay guide.

I have tried a hard reset, but I have yet to do a restore as I would rather not loose the 100+ hours of programming on the drive.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
post #98 of 113 Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdini76 View Post

Hello,
I have a 4xxx series lifetime activated replaytv unit. It was 160 hr unit, and one of the hard drives went. I still had a working 80 drive in the unit. so I reimaged the drive. The unot now boots up no problem, but I am stuck on the activation nag screen.

I tried to force the net connect using the 243 zones. but it doesn't seem to connect. Before the hard drive failure the network connected fine. So there wouldn't be any reason that the nic has since failed... I have been wrong before.

Is there in tips that I can do to try to get htis unit to connect so I can get past the activation nag screen.

Rememebr I cannot access any menu information. so telling me to manually setup the network info will not work.

Thanks for any help.

I just had a similar situation on a 5500. I was able to get to Menu / Setup / Network settings. I found all my network settings and location setting were wiped out. Reset them up and then was able to get past the nag screen and did a 2-4-3 zones to rebuild my guide etc.
post #99 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 03:54 PM

First off I would like to thank all who have contributed to keep the replay program going.

I have a 5516. My problem was that this weekend my shows were pixilating a lot and then rebooting. I figured that the HD was failing so I bought a new one.

Seagate - 500GB Internal Hard Drive
Model: ST3500641A-RK

I reimaged it, patched it, and transferred my movies over. The DVR booted and showed the new capacity and all my shows. It doesn’t pixelate anymore but it is still rebooting frequently. Any idea why? Do I need to reset it to factory defaults? (I don’t want to lose my shows and settings but I will if I have to.)

I did notice that the old drive was an ata-133 and my new one is an ata-100. Does anybody know if the onboard controller is a 100 or 133?

Thank for all you help.
post #100 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades2585 View Post

First off I would like to thank all who have contributed to keep the replay program going.

I have a 5516. My problem was that this weekend my shows were pixilating a lot and then rebooting. I figured that the HD was failing so I bought a new one.

Seagate - 500GB Internal Hard Drive
Model: ST3500641A-RK

I reimaged it, patched it, and transferred my movies over. The DVR booted and showed the new capacity and all my shows. It doesn't pixelate anymore but it is still rebooting frequently. Any idea why? Do I need to reset it to factory defaults? (I don't want to lose my shows and settings but I will if I have to.)

I did notice that the old drive was an ata-133 and my new one is an ata-100. Does anybody know if the onboard controller is a 100 or 133?

Thank for all you help.

Couple of things: If you copied your shows over and they showed up with the new drive installed, then you really didn't reimage the new drive, you simply copied over the image from the old drive. If the old drive had file system errors, then you would have copied those file system errors to the new drive. You need to put a fresh image on that drive (which you can download from somewhere like http://www.replaytvupgrade.com). Unfortunately, when you put a new image on your drive, then you can't keep your old shows...

Second, that is a 7200.9 drive which people have reported doesn't work properly in a 5000 series ReplayTV. After putting a fresh image on the drive, you can just try it and see how it works, but I wouldn't be surprised if you continue to have problems with it. Or, check ReplayTVupgrade.com for drive compatibilty, and there are theads on the subject in this forum as well...

Henry
post #101 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 10:03 PM

I just reset it using their image and I'm still having the same problem. What drives would you suggest?

Found some listed. Looks like I'll have to try the WD5000JBRTL. Hopefully they will have it to swap out. Well see.
post #102 of 113 Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I like the Seagate DB35 drives. Be careful with the Western Digital drives. While they may say JBRTL, if they turn out to be AAJB, then they won't work...

Henry
post #103 of 113 Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Thank you for your help. Unfortunatily my Best Buy doesn’t seem to have that one but it does have the WD I mentioned. Is there a way to look at the serial number to tell if it’s truly a JB and not an AAJB?

If I put on and older image will it update as soon as I turn on and set up the DVR or will it retain the older image OS? (I presume it will update so I should use the most current posted. I don’t want to use WiRNS just to get the Commercial Advance.)
post #104 of 113 Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your help. Unfortunatily my Best Buy doesn't seem to have that one but it does have the WD I mentioned. Is there a way to look at the serial number to tell if it's truly a JB and not an AAJB?

Not without opening the box. Unfortunately, the only way to find out the actual model number is to look at the sticker on the hard drive. It is pretty unlikely that anything sold today in a retail store ISN'T an AAJB...

Quote:

If I put on and older image will it update as soon as I turn on and set up the DVR or will it retain the older image OS? (I presume it will update so I should use the most current posted. I don't want to use WiRNS just to get the Commercial Advance.)

Unless you are running WiRNS to prevent software updates, the Replay will update automatically. Because you have a 55xx model, you will lose CA and IVS (it should come out the same as was). Although, since you are upgrading the drive, it certainly is an opportunity to put an older image on it and run WiRNS so that you CAN have CA!

Henry
post #105 of 113 Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 AM

Here is what the say hopefully they are right. I'll find out tonight.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail
post #106 of 113 Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is what the say hopefully they are right. I'll find out tonight.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

That's pretty much what everyone says. But, it's not likely that it won't be an AAJB. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, however...

Henry
post #107 of 113 Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Well the box says it wasn't but the drive says it is an AAJB. :-( (Thats false advertising.)

Any idea what defrag and/or format utility i can use on the original HD?
post #108 of 113 Old 11-01-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the box says it wasn't but the drive says it is an AAJB. :-( (Thats false advertising.)

Any idea what defrag and/or format utility i can use on the original HD?

Did you ever check out ReplayTVupgrade.com? It has all the information you need including the hard drive tools and utilities...

Henry
post #109 of 113 Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I just want to get this thread about drive compatibility into this sticky so that it will be easier to find...

Henry
post #110 of 113 Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM

I guess its been quite a while since I've been here...but I do have something to add regarding the Showstopper unit.

I had a reboot problem several times and not 100% sure which solution fixed it so I'll throw them both out there.

Please Wait....

Power off

Please Wait....

Would continue to cycle like this.

I found the +5V power of the power supply to be low...down in the +4.5V range.
I replaced the power supply with a 65W Mean Well PD-65A.

I also threw away the Power Interrupt Module board...and connect the power supply directly to the MoBo.

No more reboots.

The other problem That I had was the unit would forget the time. (only after it was unplugged) I ended up replacing the Super Capacitor that keeps the memory alive on this unit. (circled in the pic)...I found the part on Jameco electronics web site.

redhawk
LL
post #111 of 113 Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecow View Post

Do this at least once:
unplug it for an exaggerated amount of time. From evening to morning or from evening til after work is good; you won't be using it anyway. I've seen a faint but distinguished pattern of this sometimes solving the problem.

Do this at least once:
After booting it up give it an exaggerated amount of time to figure itself out 20 min is probably fine, about the same amount of time it takes to shower and remember it's out there trying to boot.

I had the Please Wait reboot issue for the first time on my old showstopper...
Just wanted to report that I did the unplug of my showstopper overnight and it finally rebooted after about 1 hour of Please Wait...! Looks like I need to do set up again. Someday this thing will really die and I will get to upgrade
post #112 of 113 Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishona View Post

I had the Please Wait reboot issue for the first time on my old showstopper...
Just wanted to report that I did the unplug of my showstopper overnight and it finally rebooted after about 1 hour of Please Wait...! Looks like I need to do set up again. Someday this thing will really die and I will get to upgrade

I want to get this link in here to be part of the trouble shooting guide. While it isn't really aimed towards ShowStoppers and 2K/3K ReplayTVs, it's still fairly applicable. The main thing to realize is that when you are having problems with the unit booting, you are really past the point of upgrading (where you can keep your shows and recording schedules) and should just start out by downloading a fresh image. This is very applicable in your situation because you are already having problems with your drive, it would be risky to upgrade from your current drive versus using a fresh image...

In addition, for Showstoppers and 2K/3K ReplayTVs, while extract_rtv and extract_rtv5 can be use to copy your recorded shows to a PC (Windows or Mac), extract_rtv5 can also provide the show recording information or even the DVArchive show description XML files so that you know a bit more about the shows that you have copied to your PC. It might make it easier to watch the shows on the PC if you used DVArchive to let you pick the shows, I might assume that since the shows are still in MPEG-2 format that they would play just fine from DVArchive launching the MPEG-2 video player, such as VLC or QuickTime with the MPEG-2 component. Both extract_rtv and extract_rtv5 make some additions to the show file when copying to the PC to make them more standard MPEG-2 files such that they should play normally with an MPEG-2 player...

Henry
post #113 of 113 Old 08-20-2010, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This is apparently rare since the folks at customer support had never seen it happen until I came along.

My unit, which I just bought used, was saying something like "There is a problem with your account. You need to call customer support before you can use your ReplayTV device."

I called customer support, and they were stumped. My unit has a lifetime activation, and after forcing a net-connect and resetting to factory defaults and resetting my network connection, System Information still said "deactivated". It wasn't recognizing my lifetime activation.

After 45 minutes on the phone, the representative, who was great (I think they're all great), "relapped" my activation because he had no other ideas. That just meant that he reset my lifetime activation. He said it would take an hour or two to take effect, and it did. But then it worked great!

So that's what to ask customer service to do if you know you have a lifetime activation but your machine keeps saying "deactivated".

Hope that helps someone sometime!
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page