Ouch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 156 Old 08-22-2003, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just an update, it appears that the ATI card does some sort of encrypting that makes the file unusable with rtvconvert. Of course even without this, it can't encode with the 48khz audio so the files need reencoding anyway. I have now managed to capture a short mpg with the ATI card, convert it to full compliance with ULead, and using the rtvconvert, it can now be imported to DVarchive and played on my Replay. I guess I'll have to take these extra steps for now, but I still think it's all great. Thanks.
post #93 of 156 Old 08-22-2003, 10:36 PM

Regarding the currently-allowed entry types for an 'rtvedit' edit script:
  • F - file name of the source mpg (from an RTV set, .mpg/.evt/.ndx)
  • T - Target mpg file (output)
  • A - add point time (punch in)
  • D - delete point time (punch out)
  • E - end editing
I'd like to request the addition of:
  • C - Comment line
  • Blank lines
I suppose they're not really necessary since I can add comments and blank lines in an edit script now; they just produce error messages, without affecting the output.

Thanks again for the tools...

Regs,
Karl K.
post #94 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 01:08 AM

A RTVEDIT "nice to have" feature for mixing/merging streams into a single file would be a pre-processing check of all the "F" video file sources to make sure they're available.

Less critical would be a pre-check of the "T" target files, to make sure they're not locked.

Regs,
Karl K.
post #95 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 07:12 AM

Well, apparently the ATI card record software does some encrypting that makes it difficult to edit. As I posted above, I can reencode the files with Ulead, but the audio is all whacked (not just out of psync, but chipmunks, or Slow Mo). I don't have the MPEG2 version of TMPGenc so I don't know if I can reencode with that and get better results. It seems I may need to use some other software for the capture (like the Ulead software itself). So at this point I can make manual recording on my computer that can then be rtvconverted and fed back to the Replay, but I can't use the ATI /Gemstar guide/recording.
post #96 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 08:30 AM

How do you convert using Ulead (Movie Factory 2?)? Whenever I tried converting using Ulead, it outputs only multiple VOB files, not a single mpeg2 file ...

Thanks,
-Zigboy
post #97 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 10:00 AM

Anybody figure out how to automate all this.
I would like to place a video file into a folder somewhere and and have some automation covert with with tmpgenc, the rtvconvert it and then import it into dvarchive.

Anybody know of a command line interface for tmpgenc or dvarchive import?

Also, anybody figure out how to convert any mp3 sound files using all this?
post #98 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
As I posted in the poll, this author and I were doing basically the same things.

My tmpgenc template was slightly different, but both work. =)

The author was able to figure out something I wasn't... I've always needed to add the user_data fields into the GOPs. The user_data fields had nothing but blank data in my testing, but I found I couldn't get away without them. rtvconvert doesn't add user_data fields. (Now I'm second guessing my work...arrgh)

As far as mp3 files, mpeg-1 layer III audio files are different than the audio the replay uses. As with the video file the DTC tables seeem to have to be known fixed values.

You can play with the Quantization values (both tables) and see if you can get other ones to work, but I've found only the one in the replay generated stream to work. (I could play around with this more, but why?)
post #99 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 03:22 PM

Apparently I'm the only one trying to use rtvconvert with an ATI card, but I have managed to get it to work now. I'm not sure yet what the best procedure is, but if I capture with my custom SVCD template and then reencode with ULead to either SVCD or 1/2 DVD it works. The resulting video on the Replay is jumpy when there's action, but during normal activity it looks great. I've done as much as a 15 min clip, I'm going to try full 1/2 hour shows and mess some more with the settings to see if I can find something that even gets the action right. Thanks again.
post #100 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 09:23 PM

I created a 10 second MPEG-2 clip with my ATI AIW Radeon using the ATI MMC v7.7 software. Recorded the clip using the MMC DVD setting, ran the clip through rtvconvert, imported the converted clip into DVArchive, and played it back through my 5040. Played back fine, and no transcoding was required.

RF
post #101 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 09:42 PM

I've used my ATI AIW-7200 to capture using the instructions found here http://www.lordsmurf.com/capture/atiavi/atiavi.htm and have had excellent results using RTVConvert (with no re-encoding). I think a key is to use MMC 7.7 or later since it has the ability to set audio to 48,000 KHz.
post #102 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

rtvedit seems to work fine -- however, the edit points created by evtdump are not at all the same as done by real-time CA on the same file [at least with high quality files -- not that I would think that should make any difference]. Low quality seems more correct [again, not that that makes any sense]. I'm confused.
post #103 of 156 Old 08-23-2003, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The algorithm in evtdump is not the same as the Replay so results will vary.
post #104 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks -- that makes more sense. I thought the data in the evt file was already 'post interpretation' [I guess the word 'dump' led me to think it was just unambiguous data being dumped from the file].

Any chance of fine tuning the interpretation being done by evtdump? It really butchered about half of the files I tried -- files that CA does 100% 'the right thing' with on the replay.
post #105 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay Schneider
rtvedit seems to work fine -- however, the edit points created by evtdump are not at all the same as done by real-time CA on the same file [at least with high quality files
First, the author of this software package should be given god status imo. These are the toys I have been looking for since the beginning. Well, these and the ability to move a file set back to the Replay (which I see won't be easy).

I spent yesterday playing with different ways of editing the commercials out of programs. First I tried rtvedit after noting the locations of commercials to within a half second or so, and manually building a script to zap these areas. Worked OK, but as noted, they were a bit off by varying amounts.

So I thought I'd go for truly clean editing by using Womble (mpeg-vcr), then rtvconvert to rebuild the files. This was the least satisfactory way for me as Womble introduced a major a/v sync problem (maybe a second).

Finally, I tried using tmpgenc to edit out the commercials, then rtvconvert to rebuild and this worked fine. It took forever, as always, to build the mpg with tmpgenc, but that's the price one pays I guess.

One problem that dogged me with all of these methods, though, is the one reported earlier. The RTV reboots on any attempt to play any of the above a second time. This is pretty much a show-stopper for me now, but I have absolute confidence this one will get ironed out by the geniuses behind the scenes.

GREAT toys.
post #106 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 09:45 AM

These tools sound great! My only problem is that I have a 4504 and it doesn't sound like tools such as these will be developed for that platform.

My 4504 functions flawlessly and along with DVArchive, I feel like I have the perfect system - except that I can't push non-native streams back to the 4504.

I'm debating selling my 4504 (lifetime membership) on eBay and picking up a new 5040. My only concerns are the performance of the 5040 (relative to the 4504 given all the bug talk,) losing big $ (I paid ~ $550 for the 4504 with lifetime,) or that I'm missing some other current or pending way to take advantage of the functionality of these tools on the 4504.

Any thoughts/suggestions???

Thanks!
post #107 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay Schneider
Any chance of fine tuning the interpretation being done by evtdump?
Sure and the source for evtdump IS included in the archive so feel free to tweak!
post #108 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 01:21 PM

I have been able to successfully use the TNPGEnc, rtvconvert, and DVArchieve to play a few different types of Mpegs on my RTV5xxx's. :p

However, I have been having problems with VIDX or XDIV avi's. I have used the template to convert them to mpegs, but whenever I use rtvconvert, I get a audio buffer overflow = 66125 (or some number) error.

I figured that this must be some problem with TNPGEnc has with AVI audio tracks, so I used VirtualDub to extract the audio to a seperate track first and then create the mpeg with TNPGEnc RTV Template. But when I run rtvconvert, I still the the same audio buffer overflow errors.

Has anyone else seen this? and could you point me a direction that might help. . I have been reading through the conversion sections in the DVDRhelp.com website, but so far no luck.
post #109 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Lee -

Actually, it wasn't till after my last post that I looked through and saw that evtdump source was included [and, as a consequence, the most important part -- the format of the evt file itself]. Cool. Now to try to a) set some time aside and b) see if I can be as clever as my replay [and oh yeah, c) see if my ancient c compiler still runs in xp!].
post #110 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 06:00 PM

Wanted to cross-post here, to comment that I've run across a couple problems when playing RTVEDIT-generated videos via Windows Media Player 9 and the Elecard Decoder v2.1. (Elecard v2.0 doesn't seem to have any complaints.)

See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=294072
post #111 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 06:35 PM

Well, that was the trick. I was using ATI's MMC 7.5, but version 8.5 now lets me encode complient video (I used the Medium DVD setting (352X480)) and it worked great. No need to reencode and I did a 15 second high action clip that played great on the replay. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
post #112 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 11:38 PM

Ok, as much as it goes against everything I stand for, I’m going to admit that I need a hand ;) I’ve been using evtdump to produce evt files and rtvedit to chop out commercials, and actually I used it to make a few short clips. The problem, as has been discussed earlier, is that shows recorded on the 5000 series 4.5 software do not propagate the data correctly. So, I’ve been trying to manually find the “chop points†to take out the commercials for these by watching the mpeg (anybody come up with an easier strategy for this?) and I’m having a little trouble with the coding of the evt.txt file. So, what I’m looking for is just a short example by somebody who knows what they’re talking about ;) Let’s say I have a 30 minute show, sample.mpg, and I want to chop out the following sections:

5:00-7:00
15:00-17:00
20:00-22:00

And I want the file to end at 23:00.

How would I want the etv.txt file to appear?
post #113 of 156 Old 08-24-2003, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TalkinCat
Let’s say I have a 30 minute show, sample.mpg, and I want to chop out the following sections:

5:00-7:00
15:00-17:00
20:00-22:00

And I want the file to end at 23:00.

How would I want the etv.txt file to appear?
Try this...
--- Beginning of file ---
Tout.mpg
Fsample.mpg
A000:00.000
D005:00.000
A007:00.000
D015:00.000
A017:00.000
D020:00.000
A022:00.000
D023:00.000
E
--- End of file ---

The above assumes you're running 'rtvedit' from the directory in which 'sample.mpg' resides, and that there's an accompanying 'sample.ndx' file there, as well, since we're talking about a 45xx series show.

The output "target" file will be named 'out.mpg', plus you'll have 2 other files: 'out.ndx' & 'out.evt'.

Oh, p.s., one more thing. You'll find that 'rtvedit' doesn't strictly cut and paste the video at the locations you specify in the edit file (i.e. evt.txt). You'll want to check the exact cut locations by reviewing the screen output of the 'rtvedit' run, and then update your edit file with these exact cut locations.

Once you've generated the output video, you'll want to review the resulting scene transitions, and -- depending on your level of obsession/compulsion -- adjust the edit points in your edit file, and rerun the conversion. Repeat as necessary until you're happy with the resulting file.

One last tip... As you go through the iterative process of manually identifying the optimum edit points for your video, you'll quickly realize that converting the entire video for each iteration is a bit time-prohibitive. Instead, temporarily insert Add/Delete edit points into your edit script in order to focus on just the transitions, and converting as little of the video as possible -- until you're ready for the final conversion.

For example, given a 2 1/4 hour video file (named 'input.mpg') with extraneous content at the beginning and end, and with the start and end points at approximately 00:02:31 and 02:03:10, respectively (based on reviewing the video with your media player), I'd create the following edit script as a starting point for identifying the exact edit points -- cutting out the bulk of the video conversion, and delay.

Ttransition-review.mpg
Finput.mpg
A002:31.000
D002:40.000
A123:00.000
D123:10.000
E

Best of luck.
post #114 of 156 Old 08-25-2003, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
WOW! I just did something I'm amazed worked...

I took a 3k file and converted the audio to 48k and then ran rtvconvert.

Took 3k48k converted fiel into DVA and it worked!
post #115 of 156 Old 08-25-2003, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by TalkinCat
So, what I’m looking for is just a short example by somebody who knows what they’re talking about
WHooa. Easy boy. You are asking for WAY too much.

cow
post #116 of 156 Old 08-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

I use a 5040 to record the 1 hour show, "Monk." I wrote the following .bat file, and ran it from a command prompt.

evtdump "Monk - 2003-08-22.evt" >evt.txt
rtvedit evt.txt

The process completed, I renamed the files, and the show ran successfully using DVA for 50 minutes- then the program came to a commercial, and skipped to the end- the last 10 minutes were lost! [I did keep a copy of the original, so no harm done].

I assume that other people must have found this- RePlay itself will occasionally skip good parts of a show [although the full, unedited version of Monk skipped commercials just fine]. Part of the reason for my wanting to convert files is to save on disk space-if I have to keep a backup of each show to make sure that nothing is unintentionally edited out, the whole purpose is kind of defeated.

So how do others handle this dilemma?

The Burger
post #117 of 156 Old 08-25-2003, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Check the mpeg once it's done processing, the original will still be intact, adjust the evt.txt file as needed.

You can get timecodes btw using VirtualDub (the MPEG2 version which you can find with a little googling). You'll need to add .495 to the times.
post #118 of 156 Old 08-25-2003, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...part of the reason for my wanting to convert files is to save on disk space
Geez... with disk space costing about 75 cents / GB right now, and I figure you'll save, let's say 200MB / 1 hour recording, for about 10 minutes worth of work (how much time have you spent already), that implies you value your time at approximately 90 cents / hour.

Give yourself a raise and buy a bigger hard drive!

Peter
post #119 of 156 Old 08-25-2003, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I concure.

Although anything written in this forum is an exception because it helps the development of great software.

cow
post #120 of 156 Old 08-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Geez... with disk space costing about 75 cents / GB right now, and I figure you'll save, let's say 200MB / 1 hour recording, for about 10 minutes worth of work (how much time have you spent already), that implies you value your time at approximately 90 cents / hour.

Give yourself a raise and buy a bigger hard drive!
This may be true when you are keeping all your files on your HD, but when archiving to DVD, that 200 MB (for each show/episode) can make a big difference.

Plus, this stuff is fun!!
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page