Announcing the general release of ReplayTV software 5.1 for RTV5000s and 5500s - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got broadband and I still can't get the update, although I'm not as bad off as mrwright. I did at least get the last update.

I just can't get it to recognize that there is new software.

Maybe i'll try to force it another twenty times tonight. or is that the wrong way to go about it. I'm jsut not very patient when it comes to this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Its been shown many times here that you are more likely to get the software if you do your net connect after midnight.

I'm guessing that Replay has a daily bandwidth limit on their data lines, so once that limit is reached, no amount of requests will force the issue.
post #183 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ntode, the software is not sen t out to everyone at once. Search on post after post by cwoody... you will see he had the same problems way back in the 2020 days. RTV just can't send it out to everyone at once--the bandwidth is too expensive.

Cheers

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #184 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntode
Maybe i'll try to force it another twenty times tonight.
Rumor has it that a log is kept of any ReplayTV doing multiple net connects and those machines are then moved to the bottom of the list for software updates. :eek:

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site: www.replaytvupgrade.com
post #185 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joesc1
Its been shown many times here that you are more likely to get the software if you do your net connect after midnight.
Or more likely when your machine is due to get the software update. :D

-Gary
post #186 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 12:36 PM

All three of my units downloaded the new software the second night that it was available. Replay #3 was having some hard drive issues so I swapped it out. Now, it won't download the new software. It must know that I've already got it once for that machine and put me back on the bottom of the list. ;)

5040 -> 00004-54831-69615
5080 -> 00004-54832-11686
5120 -> 00004-54831-69259
5200 -> 00004-54831-87990
post #187 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

There is no *list*. When you connect at the 'checking/' for new software, it tells the server you have 4.5 or 5.0 or whatever. It's not current, so it sends you the 5.1. If there was a 'list' by S/N, no one who *ever* used the images on the ftp site would ever get upgraded because they were 'already' upgraded according to the S/N. l8er is pulling your leg (as shown by the smilies) and it came off in his hand... :) For a general release, there are way too many machines for there to be a 'list'.

The 'midnight' (or close to it) theory appears to hold some water. Although, it just may be that people go to bed on the east coast! :)

As I've said, I NC'd many times the first day, got two machines upgraded, and at 11:30 that night, the last two got theirs. The machines appear to be (I only say that because I don't work for DNNA) (1) limited in total downloads a day (whatever a day is) and (2) limited in simuiltaneous connections (like an ftp server).

Can you all spread the word that the S/N has nothing to do with it for a general release?! (For a beta or a special one-off release, yes, they put you in the table.)

(If someone wants to prove me wrong: upgrade a machine to 5.1, load a 5.0 image on it, and see whether you get 5.1 'again' or not! :D )

-Lee (See my profile for equipment.)
post #188 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Regardless of how they do it, forcing net connects may or may not get you a software update:
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayRichard
Just a reminder, forcing calls won’t get the software faster
from: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...43#post2760443

And as far as I know, the serial number is tied to the motherboard via firmware, while the software version is in the software, and I would guess there's not a record kept of a particular serial number and what software version it should have. So if a box that was upgraded to 5.1 is re-imaged with 5.0, I think it will download 5.1 the next time it connects. (I base this theory on the ShowStopper software being different prior to 3.02 from the ReplayTV software. You could image a ShowStopper with a ReplayTV image but on the next net connect it would re-download the ShowStopper version. For those of you coming in late, at one time you could not watch macrovision protected content through a ShowStopper, but could through a ReplayTV. Version 3.02 of the software made them both behave the same.)

-Gary
post #189 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that's likely but still heresey.

An alternate reason would be they want to take a sample from different batches of replays manufactured at different times to see how customer care is impacted --as they say- and use serial numbers to do it. We know they are equipped to authorize downloads by serial numbers.

I'm only arguing this because I'm bored.

cow

and the creteria of whether you get the software or not could be as simple as if the server is free at that moment, or both free and in the catagories of desired serial numbers.
post #190 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joesc1
Which time zone??
post #191 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Blah, blah, blah... ;)

My units updated via forced net connects within the same hour (after several failed attempts). My guess is Richard (not Lyndon as I stated in a previous post) said that forcing the net connect won't work so that everyone on this forum didn't all try and force the net connect at the same time.

It is doubtful there is any type of list, as I have two units purchased a few months apart and both updated the same day. I tend to believe the limited number of simultaneous downloads/limited number per day theory. However, we can sit here and theorize all we want, but I doubt we will get a definitive answer from Replay about this. Still, the fact remains that several people have been able to get the downloads via forced net connects.
post #192 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

The 'throttle down' that Richard talked about can be answered by saying there are only x copies of 5.1 out there, and that's most likely true. I still say (and will continue to say! :D :D ) that Richard's 'PR' statement [he is a marketing person.... :) ] about 'NC won't help' was probably based on their IT Department saying, "oh crap, *please* say something to stop them from trying to connect every 90 seconds for the next two weeks!".

(Once you have 5.1, you can connect only for the software, but with 5.0 you have to hammer the channel guide server, and everytthing else! :) )

post #193 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet

(Once you have 5.1, you can connect only for the software, but with 5.0 you have to hammer the channel guide server, and everytthing else! :) )
I wonder if they put this in place so that they could cut down on all of us refreshing our channel guide 100 times in one day trying to get new software. :)
post #194 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

I do believe that it was for people who kept on getting hung at other points (MRTV, etc.), and a method to *just* do the software (yeah, it does time and activation) was a good idea.

post #195 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Since we are continuing our [fun] completely senseless conversations. If i were the programmer and wasn't bounced around by thankless deadlines, I may put in some code to detect people who repetitively call and give them priority/bias to download the update if they've tried,say, three times in a row or more. The rational being:

>if they download the software they will stop bugging the server
>it just trickles down to displace when the j6p's get the new software, and they don't even know there is new software (emotionally unaffected)
>people who chain connect tend to be more technologiclaly inclined and could probably be more specific and detailed when talking to customer care about problems
>cult users would further dig your company if Richard could say "yeah, we mad arraignments, just call in. after 3 times you'll have priority. " How many AVS people are going to be calling in at the same time? their servers cator to 100,000s of customers or more.

It's just a more natural and sane way to do it.

cow
post #196 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

cow -

You make some good points (I know, not something you hear to often on this forum ;)), and it's possible that they have some similar logic involved. I also think that broadband users are more likely to get the updates sooner due to the simple fact that it is faster for them to d/l.
post #197 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that dumb thing is just an act :)
post #198 of 250 Old 10-10-2003, 10:21 PM

And, 'checking for software bug'... you probably mean the 'checking for new software release'. That's also a separate option in 243Z now (in 5.1/19) so you can get that without doing the channel guide, the myreplaytv stuff. (It's still in the normal NC, BTW.) I've never heard of 'checking for bugs' (comments deleted here on that being a needed feature! ).

I think from a PR perspective, everthing that wasn't in the original 5000s (4.5/75?) is being listed as a '5500' feature. So, that includes all the 5.0 stuff, including the 110 additions, like the software check.

No, my point was that my ReplayTVs continue to have the bug that causes it to hang up while it is in the "checking for software" stage of the nightly net connect. I am hoping that it goes away if this is in fact a different release from the one that I already have. If not, for me, the stability of ReplayTV remaines in question.

Joe
post #199 of 250 Old 10-11-2003, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sure that's not the 'I'm subscibed to myreplaytv and it's messing up'? That's the first thing to undo. It causes mucho problems, even at 5.1, AFAIK.

(BTW, I thought I was reading my post again... :D The quote button in each post is the best way to copy a post into a new one.......)

post #200 of 250 Old 10-11-2003, 09:37 AM

This is so frustrating - I must have forced NetConnect at least 30 times at different times of the day since 5.1 was released and still nothing. :( I now have a hard time believing that there's no S/N table.
post #201 of 250 Old 10-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

The checking for software issue is fixed in 5.1.

There's no serial table, but normally, during the first week of release, the release might be stopped for a few days to make sure no new issues pop up that weren't seen during testing. What we said previously still applies, everyone should have the software in a total of 2-3 weeks from the first release.

Lyndon
post #202 of 250 Old 10-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Lyndon - Thanks for the info. That could explain why some can't get the download after forcing the net connects. We really appreciate you posting here, but you know that you are allowed to take some time off, right? ;)
post #203 of 250 Old 10-11-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loren Kruse.
You will need to perform some additional steps in order to get your ReplayTV software updated. I would try each of the following:

1. I would first try clearing the channel guide

2. Change to a smaller channel guide lineup
3. Perform a factory reset
4. Try a different phone line
5. Make sure the hard drive is in good working order
I received a message on my home answering machine in reference to the 110 update asking me to call replay so they could tell me what I was doing wrong. I had NOT called them first but yes two out of three 5160s in my house have not updated to 110. I can only guess that they don't like me clearing the channel guide lineup to force a net connect. They must think I am doing this to get the 110 update when in fact the oldest 5160 just will not update the guide daily and this is the only way I can get a full guide when I need one.
post #204 of 250 Old 10-11-2003, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moeronn
I just got a pause screen ad for Dell.
Wow. I'm kinda surprised to see that DNNA distributed a Dell pause-screen ad, considering Dell isn't reciprocating by selling ReplayTVs:
Quote:
Sorry, no results were found for "replaytv" in "All Dell.Com".
And, worse, Dell *is* selling Tivos:
post #205 of 250 Old 10-11-2003, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see a keyboard accessory anywhere in the future, bluetooth or not :)
Wish it were. The absence of special characters (:, -, &) in the "Find Shows" virtual keyboard is missed.
post #206 of 250 Old 10-11-2003, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dyker
...is the Screen saver bug fixed?
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayRichard
It doesn't crash or hang any more with photo screensavers.
Where photos used to routinely cause lockups, I now have 5 5040s (ethernet-ed) using photos for both pause screen and screensaver.

post #207 of 250 Old 10-13-2003, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow

I'm only arguing this because I'm bored.

cow
And thank you for sharing :D

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #208 of 250 Old 10-13-2003, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
Well, they did kind of break 3rdparty apps when 5.0 come out....the guide format changes.....that was part of the whole rewrite of space management and guarantee/unguaranteed, right? That was an improvement...because my RTV used to hang when it was around 75% full, though I had no easy way to tell that it was more than 75% full.....now I can use up all the space...and it doesn't hang.

Though I still have other 5.0 hanging issues. I'm told my 5.0 machine has hung, so I need to rush home to reboot it...well, just need to get to it before 8pm.... It is reported as hung because IVS connections are failing to it, but logged into my home network and can still ping it (but it doesn't show up on the ReplayGuide of my other machines.)

Anybody have an app to reboot an RTV over the Internet?

The Dreamer.
dont know of a app , but i know most datacenters use "telnetable" powerports ( i.e. , an outlet you can remotly cut the power to then turn it back on ) ... no clue on costs or where to get somthing like that , but i have thought about it once or twice for other at home systems.
post #209 of 250 Old 10-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody had success downloading update in the last couple of days - seems like the rollout is stopped for now.
post #210 of 250 Old 10-14-2003, 04:20 AM

Got money? I use Western Telematic stuff in my data center; Can't justify
the expense for a Replay though. After all, it's only TV ;)

http://www.wti.com
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page