Iâ€™m very pleased to announce that we have begun the rollout of our latest software release for ReplayTV DVRs, version 5.1.
Just a reminder, forcing calls wonâ€™t get the software faster, as we trickle the software out slowly at first, ramping up as we understand the impact on Customer Care.
We have worked very hard on the release for over 5 months. It improves many aspects of the user experience â€“ we made over 200 improvements in various aspects of the system -- and we even added two new features.WHATâ€™S NEW?
Show|Nav: We already had more power to navigate through a show than any other DVR, but we have leapt even further. Show|Nav allows you to use the left and right navigation arrows to quickly jump forward and back between scenes in a show.
- Quickly jump to the 4th quarter of a game with a few touches of the right
- Jump to the musical guest on Letterman and skip the stupid pet tricks
- Forget to pause while making a sandwich in the kitchen? Jump back to the start of the scene with a touch of the left navigation button.
ShowNav joins our suite of powerful tools for total control navigating through a show. As you know, we already had Instant Replay, QuickSkipâ„¢ and Jump Anywhere, which uses the number keys followed by Instant Replay or QuickSkip to jump minutes forward or back.
Variable Bit Rate in Standard Quality: We already had VBR on Medium and High video quality, and by adding it on Standard we get better performance and users feel Standard is more pleasant to watch.WHATâ€™S IMPROVED?
We made significant improvements in the following areas.
- Connecting to the ReplayTV Service: Perhaps the most obvious change here was adding a â€œConnect to the ReplayTV Service Nowâ€ button in the Setup Menu. You no longer need to know the secret handshake to make your DVR call in. We also made dramatic improvements in modem connectivity.
- Eliminated Lockups and Hangs: We got rid of every known lockup or hang.
- Far Fewer Video and Audio Glitches and Repeats: You just shouldnâ€™t see
them any more.
- Better Performance / Faster Response: We worked to make your ReplayTV DVR more responsive and testers find it faster to react now in almost every kind of user interaction.
- Faster Channel Changing: We improved the speed of channel changes by almost 2 seconds in most cases.
- More Robust Networking: Discovery is very reliable. In Home Video Sharing is very reliable. There should be no dropouts on a good network with Medium and Standard quality, and far fewer in High quality.
- More Set-top Boxes Supported with IR: We downloaded a far superior IR set that should cover every cable or satellite box out there.
We are quite pleased with this release, and feel it offers a much more satisfying experience for our customers. We continue to work on more improvements and you will see those in the future.
We are grateful for your feedback â€“ much of what we improved came from direct feedback from users in this forum. We always read your input, and we look forward to a continuing strong relationship where we learn from you.
Customer Experience, ReplayTV