post #91 of 703 Old 10-23-2003, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by farrow
jwtseng - Thanks so much for starting this thread.
Jim:

I'm so glad that you found the thread and was able to experience the same kind of success that I found. That is the really gratifying thing about these message boards. We're all here after the same pursuit, and I have taken so much from other's experiences. It's nice to be able to share something that I have found useful myself and even nicer to know that someone else has found use for the information as well.

Especially, regarding wireless streaming, the only thing people keep referring to are the Linksys products and it seems that streaming with these products is not necessarily straightforward or successful. I felt that it was important to provide another successful datapoint with the Buffalo products.

Good luck and keep posting. Tell us more about your setup and let's see if it can be optimized.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 703 Old 10-23-2003, 07:45 PM

The replacement WBR came yesterday and so far so good. Streaming appears to be much better than my other "g" solution and the download speed to DVA is AWESOME! I was getting over 1mb/sec! That is doubled what I was getting before. Very happy so far.

I turned on the Intrusion detection and had it e-mail me notifications. Just today, there were already some ports scans and TCP Sync Flood attacks from the internet!! Good to know!

One thing I would like to comment about the 1.31 firmware. When I was on the phone with support trying to get the faulty unit to work, that last support person told me that she recommends 1.30 over 1.31. She said that 1.31 is pretty new and there were some glitches with it. Didn't give me any details but that is the info she gave me. Right now 1.30 seems to work just fine so for now I might just wait.
post #93 of 703 Old 10-23-2003, 09:00 PM

octavian,

I do not believe the LED color option is working if it is stated in the manual. All my system that are wire connected to my router are 10baseT and they all show up as green. On my Netgear they were amber. FWIW.
post #94 of 703 Old 10-23-2003, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I noticed that the wireless LED on the front just stays green. The LAN port LED for the port that the rtv is hooked up to flashes during activity but not the wireless LED. From the manual: "Wireless LED should be GREEN if the line is active. If is it blinking GREEN, wireless communication is active." Has anyone else experienced this?
Yep, I too have noticed that. It is most noticable when using IVS for me. It's almost like the wireless indicator isn't as sensitive to the trickling of packets as the LAN lights are. Of course when there is some DVA streaming going on, the wireless LED is going bonkers.
post #95 of 703 Old 10-24-2003, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jwtseng
Jeffwa:

I hope you got your units. If not, I would still recommend Dell.com. Free shipping for orders over $100 and the WBR-G54's are only 85.99 each... no rebates! Here in California there was no tax either. About a week ago, there was an additional 10% off code as well. Took less than a week to get mine.

Anyway you get them, these units are still pretty cool for RTV and more!
I was able to get my units yesterday, though I didn't get a chance to get them setup yet. I didn't even notice that Dell.com was selling them throughout this thread. Don't know why, guess I was just focused on getting info for a wireless solution. Looks like I'm going to be taking back the ones from CompUSA and getting them from Dell.com ~same cost w/ no hassle of rebates? SOLD!

-- Jeffwa

Hooray for me, Billy! HOORAY FOR ME!
post #96 of 703 Old 10-24-2003, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffwa
I was able to get my units yesterday, though I didn't get a chance to get them setup yet. I didn't even notice that Dell.com was selling them throughout this thread. Don't know why, guess I was just focused on getting info for a wireless solution. Looks like I'm going to be taking back the ones from CompUSA and getting them from Dell.com ~same cost w/ no hassle of rebates? SOLD!
Cheaper actually. Dell Home has an automatic 10% off at checkout. Net price: $77.36 each w/ no rebate hassles.

EDIT: And free shipping!! (for orders over $99. I bought 3 of them; saved another $10)
post #97 of 703 Old 10-24-2003, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrgreenman
Cheaper actually. Dell Home has an automatic 10% off at checkout. Net price: $77.36 each w/ no rebate hassles.

EDIT: And free shipping!! (for orders over $99. I bought 3 of them; saved another $10)
Actually for me it would be ~$85.58/ea.:

From Dell:
$85.95/ea * 2 = 171.90
10% discount = -17.19
Sales tax = +10.44
Shipping = + 0 (Free for $99+)
Total = $165.15 = ~$82.58/ea.

From CompUSA (w/ Rebates):
$99.99/ea * 2 = 199.98
Sales Tax = +13.50
$20 mir * 2 = -40
Total = $173.48 = ~$86.74/ea

Not only do I save ~$4/ea, there's no rebate hassle. And CompUSA has a 15% restocking fee on opened boxes, the routers are going back to them tonight unopened and I'll just wait until my order from Dell arrives. I've waited this long, I can wait another week.

-- Jeffwa

post #98 of 703 Old 10-24-2003, 10:46 AM

I noticed your posting re: the 4 wireless B stations that you purchased at Dell.com. I just got my 2nd 5040 set up. One 5040 is connected directly to my Linksys Wireless B router and another is connected wirelessly via a Linksys Wireless Bridge. I'd say the wireless bridge/5040 is probably close to 50 feet away from the wireless router. Both 5040's are utilizing the DHCP feature and 'see' each other over the network. (I have a desktop connected directly and a laptop connected wirelessly on the network as well).

My problem is that when I stream from one 5040 to the other, with show's recorded on medium, I get glitches in the video and audio feed. I didn't want to have to upgrade to the G network if I didn't have to, but I'm thinking of going forward.

Does it sound like I "need" to upgrade and if so, would that take care of my problem? Or could there be something else going on? Lastly, Dell.com just dropped the price of these AirStation WBR-G54 54 Mbps Broadband Router Base Station to about $75 a piece. Would I need to buy all 4 of these and connect each 5040 into a WBR-G54 and use them all as bridges or could I just buy 2 of them, one for the wireless connection for 1 5040 and then connect my desktop and the other 5040 directly into it. The laptop I will keep using the B card.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
JP
post #99 of 703 Old 10-24-2003, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by osdc1
[b]My problem is that when I stream from one 5040 to the other, with show's recorded on medium, I get glitches in the video and audio feed. I didn't want to have to upgrade to the G network if I didn't have to, but I'm thinking of going forward.

Does it sound like I "need" to upgrade and if so, would that take care of my problem?
That's precisely why I decided yo finally make the leap to 11g. I've got the same problems streaming medium (and now even standard) video.

Quote:
Or could there be something else going on?
_Always_ a possibility. Maybe yuo wanna wait til a few of us get the 11g stuff going. We can then report if there is (and hopefully there is) a dramatic difference in streaming when upgrading from 11b.

Quote:
Lastly, Dell.com just dropped the price of these AirStation WBR-G54 54 Mbps Broadband Router Base Station to about $75 a piece.
Actually the $77.36 price reflects a 10% discount effective thru 10/31/03. After that, the price goes back up to $85.95.

Quote:
Would I need to buy all 4 of these and connect each 5040 into a WBR-G54 and use them all as bridges...
No

Quote:
...or could I just buy 2 of them, one for the wireless connection for 1 5040 and then connect my desktop and the other 5040 directly into it.
Yes.

Quote:
The laptop I will keep using the B card.
Then you'll want to also keep your 11b access point and diasychain it to the 11g router as a client. If you mix 11g and 11b clients on the same 11g router, the whole thing kicks down to 11b speed and the intended improvement to streaming is gone.

Better to cough up another $50 and get an 11g card for the laptop too. Then yank all the 11b stuff and put it on eBay.

Jace
post #100 of 703 Old 10-27-2003, 03:45 PM

I was wondering if I can use this setup basically, I only have 1 replay (at least for now), what I want to do is connect it to my current 4 port wired router in my computer room and send the signal to the 2nd Bridge/AP that is connecting to my replay?

Will this work? Do I need to have them both in bridge mode and plugged into something?

I wasn't planning on (at this time) hooking up the first to anything.

Sony 50A10
Motorala 6412 Phase III DVR
5xxx Series ReplayTV --->00004-54832-08893

Lets go Ball State Cardinals
post #101 of 703 Old 10-27-2003, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

indy_dude:

Let me see if I understand you correctly...

You want to connect a WBR-G54 to your existing 4-port router. You want to set this WBR-G54 in "shared" bridge mode. This way you can extend your internet connection wirelessly to a second WBR-G54 in "shared" bridge mode and plug your ReplayTV into this second unit so that it can access the internet. Also this way you will establish a roaming wireless 802.11g network between the two WBR-G54's in case you decide to get an 802.11g enabled laptop.

Alternatively, you can set both WBR-G54s to "bridge-only" mode. This achieves the same thing as above, except that wireless clients (laptops, etc) won't be able to access the WBR-G54s.

So yes, it should work just fine as long as one WBR-G54 can "see" the other. Good luck! Post if you have other questions.
post #102 of 703 Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 PM

HELP!!!

I've spent the better part of 4 hours trying to configure router #1 to accept only 802.11g connections and only connections from my wireless card and my other router that will be set to bridge mode. I'm actually trying to setup up router #1 as a WAP wired to my Linksys Router. I want router #1 to only accept connections from my wireless NIC & router #2 setup in brdige mode. I've had to reset router #1 numerous times, and right now I can't connect with a wire to router #1. Any body have some time to help?

-- Jeffwa

post #103 of 703 Old 10-27-2003, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffwa
HELP!!!

I've spent the better part of 4 hours trying to configure router #1 to accept only 802.11g connections and only connections from my wireless card and my other router that will be set to bridge mode. I'm actually trying to setup up router #1 as a WAP wired to my Linksys Router. I want router #1 to only accept connections from my wireless NIC & router #2 setup in brdige mode. I've had to reset router #1 numerous times, and right now I can't connect with a wire to router #1. Any body have some time to help?
So basically you have this setup...

INTERNET==> Linksys router==> Buffalo#1 <---> Buffalo#2

=== means wired connection, --- means wireless

The rest of this assumes that the above is correct.

First things first...the Linksys router is your DHCP server, so you need to turn off DHCP on BOTH Buffalo units and give each of them a unique IP address on the same subnet as your Linksys (192.168.1.x). Make sure that these IP addresses are OUTSIDE the range of your DHCP server. Also both Buffalo units will need to be set to "shared" bridge mode so that they can act as both bridges and access points. To do this, check the check box to enable WDS bridging and then make sure to enter the WIRELESS MAC address from Buffalo#2 in the corresponding box on Buffalo#1 and vice versa. The WIRELESS MAC is not either of the MAC addresses labelled on the back of the unit. The only place to find the WIRELESS MAC address is to look under "Management" and it should be listed under the wireless section.

At this point, you should be able to access the internet via Buffalo#2. The best way to check this is to plug in your laptop into the 4-port switch on the back of Buffalo#2 and see if you can open a web page. If so, you are golden. If not, check to make sure that your laptop is able to get an IP address from the Linksys via Buffalo#1 and Buffalo#2. If not, you should do the following...see if you can access Buffalo#1 from Buffalo#2 (either wired or wirelessly) and then plug your laptop into Buffalo#1 and try opening a web page. Basically this just confirms that your wireless bridge between Buffalo#1 and Buffalo#2 is up and working.

Try the above and let us know how it works... Let me emphasize the most important things...

1. Set a unique static IP for each Buffalo unit (so that you can always ping it or configure it on your network)
2. Turn OFF DHCP on both Buffalo units
3. Turn on the "shared" bridging mode on both units
4. Use the correct WIRELESS MAC address for WDS-bridging setup.

Later, you can set up the broadcast SSIDs and MAC client filtering...wait until after you have confirmed that your bridge works. This is as simple as entering the MAC addresses of your wireless NICs. Note: It is not necessary to enter the MAC addresses of the Buffalo units themselves for MAC filtering...only for client NICs (your wireless laptop card).

Good luck.
post #104 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 12:22 AM

Hey guys, Ive been tracking this thread since it started in anticipation of my DSL being turned on. Well its finally here and I was hoping for some setup advice. Here's what Ive got:

Room 1 - Main PC

Room 2 - Replay 5040, Xbox, PS2, Media PC

Room 3 - Third PC

If Im understanding the benefits of the Buffalo units correctly then I won't need wireless PC cards for the computers. I can just hardwire them into the switch and it will access the internet automatically. Is this right? This is the benefit of having a unit that can bridge and serve as an access point, which this does, correct?

So all I would need is 3 routers and some cat-5 wire?

P.S. - Dell SB has a 15% off peripheral code good till the end of the month. They offer free shipping as well so if your interested in buying one maybe you can find a code from someone who gets the emails.
post #105 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jwtseng
So basically you have this setup...

INTERNET==> Linksys router==> Buffalo#1 <---> Buffalo#2

=== means wired connection, --- means wireless

The rest of this assumes that the above is correct.
Yes, this is my setup, except I don't use a DHCP server. I just plug in static IPs. (No real reason, just always have.)

Quote:
First things first...the Linksys router is your DHCP server, so you need to turn off DHCP on BOTH Buffalo units and give each of them a unique IP address on the same subnet as your Linksys (192.168.1.x). Make sure that these IP addresses are OUTSIDE the range of your DHCP server. Also both Buffalo units will need to be set to "shared" bridge mode so that they can act as both bridges and access points. To do this, check the check box to enable WDS bridging and then make sure to enter the WIRELESS MAC address from Buffalo#2 in the corresponding box on Buffalo#1 and vice versa. The WIRELESS MAC is not either of the MAC addresses labelled on the back of the unit. The only place to find the WIRELESS MAC address is to look under "Management" and it should be listed under the wireless section.
This is a road block for me. When I was initially going through the setup, I followed their instructions, and when I switched the IP on Buffalo#1, I could no longer connect to the unit. (I may have done something else at this point, too. I was pretty tired when I started fooling around with setup.)

I'll be starting my setup attempt tonight from scratch. I think I was trying to do too much initially and was screwing things up. Let me know what you think of this as a plan of attack:

1) Setup Buffalo#1 to use static IP
2) Enable WDS bridging on Buffalo#1 & enter wireless MAC address from Buffalo#2 (This was a problem last night in that I used the ones off the back of the unit. Why are they their if they aren't right?)
3) Repeat steps 1 & 2 for Buffalo#2

After that, I should be able to connect with a wire to Buffalo#2 and get on the net, correct? But in this setup anybody can, right? I guess I can worry about that after I get the initial setup up and working.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes this evening.

-- Jeffwa

post #106 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jeff,

"and when I switched the IP on Buffalo#1, I could no longer connect to the unit."

Stupid question but you did try using the new IP address right? Was it in the same network as your laptop after you changed the IP address? IOW where the first three blocks of the address the same as your computer?

"(This was a problem last night in that I used the ones off the back of the unit. Why are they their if they aren't right?)"

They are correct, it is the MAC address of the wired segment. But as has been said you need the MAC address of the wireless segment.

" But in this setup anybody can, right? I guess I can worry about that after I get the initial setup up and working."

Yes, anyone could connect. To counter that you can try to restrict wireless access by filtering wireless access by MAC address. There is another section in the routers where you can add the MAC address of the wireless cards (not bridged equipment) that can access the unit(s). Also using WEP will help keep casual users off the network. Get them up and running before playing with WEP though so you know that is all that is changed if you break the connections.

As far as sharing both Buffalo units in shared bridge mode or not that is sort of up to you. They don't both have to be in shared mode, you can do one dedicated and one shared. If the one unit plugged into your internet router has enough coverage for your notebook you might want to think about setting it to be shared bridging and the other unit to be dedicated. That way you need to only administer the one for MAC addresses for wireless clients and also it can help to maximize your bandwidth if you aren't using the other unit as a repeater.

Shawn
post #107 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

"then I won't need wireless PC cards for the computers"

Correct, you could use normal wired ethernet cards.

" I can just hardwire them into the switch and it will access the internet automatically. Is this right?"

'Automatically' assuming the rest of the TCP/IP network is setup properly on the computers (IP addressing, default route and name servers) and that you configure one of the Buffalo units to share your internet connection.

Shawn
post #108 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 06:01 AM

Shawn: Yes, I was trying the new address, and they were on the same network.

Makes sense that the ones on the back are for the wired segment. And I think that's why I wasn't able to connect to the router anymore. I limited to that MAC address, so the only thing it could see is itself (I'm assuming.)

Stupid question: When connecting Buffalo#1 to the router, do I plug the wire into the WAN port or a specific LAN port? I'm assuming a LAN port.

If I went with Buffalo#2 as just a bridge, what does that entail? Would setup be the same except for setting it to bridge only mode?

I'm going to get this working wide open first before I shut it down to just specific MAC addresses. I'll come back for issues on that when I get to it.

Thanks

-- Jeffwa

post #109 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To make sure you can access the Buffalo units when you're changing their IPs, the easiest thing to do is to go into your network properties and set your laptop up with a static IP on the same subnet. For example, the Buffalo units come set up with an IP of 192.168.11.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0. So in order to connect with a CAT-5 cable, you'd need to make sure that your laptop has an IP in the same range (192.168.11.x) and the subnet should be 255.255.255.0.

FYI, the MAC addresses on the outside of the unit are for the WAN and LAN. I don't know why they don't put another sticker there with the wireless MAC. Most people probably never mess with any of the numbers, I guess. Better to have none of them there instead of only 2 out of 3 in my mind.

Anyways, your plan of attack sounds good. You don't even have to connect Buffalo#1 up to your Linksys for the setup until you confirm that the bridge is working. Just get each unit set up and then see if they can talk by connecting your laptop to the back of each one and trying to connect to the other (web configuration interface). After this is working, then you can worry about the wireless part...setting the SSID and limiting access via MAC filtering and WEP encryption.
post #110 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkkent333
Room 1 - Main PC

Room 2 - Replay 5040, Xbox, PS2, Media PC

Room 3 - Third PC

So all I would need is 3 routers and some cat-5 wire?
Yup. One unit for each room. If you don't have any wireless clients, you can set up each box in "bridge only" mode. The box that your DSL modem plugs into will be set up with DHCP serving and the other two boxes will have DHCP OFF. All your equipment will just plug into the 4-port switch with CAT-5 cables.
post #111 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

" When connecting Buffalo#1 to the router, do I plug the wire into the WAN port or a specific LAN port? I'm assuming a LAN port."

Yes, the LAN port. No different then connecting a switch to a router in this case.

"Would setup be the same except for setting it to bridge only mode?"

Yes and of course the bridged MAC address needs to be the address of the other unit.

Shawn
post #112 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sfogg
" When connecting Buffalo#1 to the router, do I plug the wire into the WAN port or a specific LAN port? I'm assuming a LAN port."

Yes, the LAN port. No different then connecting a switch to a router in this case.
Is there a specific LAN port to use? My Linksys gear (& most switches I've seen) have a port marked "uplink" that is shared with another port. On the Buffalo does it matter?

-- Jeffwa

post #113 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

"Is there a specific LAN port to use?"

Probably not. When I went from the Buffalo to the Linsys I just went from lan port to lan port. If after you plug the cable in the lights for the ports on each end don't light up then move the Linksys end to the 'Uplink' port if it has one.

A fair amount of equipment now will automatically figure out if the connection is a regular connection or if it needs to be crossed over which is all the 'Uplink' port really does.

Shawn
post #114 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 11:48 AM

What makes these Buffalo routers so special? Isn't there another brand that contains the same features?
post #115 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkkent333
What makes these Buffalo routers so special? Isn't there another brand that contains the same features?
There may be, but at about $77 per unit right now at Dell.com these Buffalo units are hard to pass up...especially in light of interoperability problems with Linksys brand products. If one were to do a search on streaming between RTV boxes, you would think that the only solution that works involves Linksys products (only specific units at that). The purpose of this thread is to present a cost-effective alternative that has been proven easy to set up and very reliable in streaming High Quality ReplayTV recordings over a wireless 802.11g network.

The WBR-G54 really does have a lot of features all bundled up into this one box. If there are other brands that have the same combination of features, I certainly would like to hear about it, especially if they work for streaming purposes. With the WBR-G54 you don't have to worry about getting one box for this purpose and a different box for another. The same unit does so many different things, and two or more of these units can make up a very stable and easily managed wireless to wired network. And did I mention that last month's PC Magazine rated the WBR-G54 #1 in throughput over the Linksys and other wireless-G routers?
post #116 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 02:14 PM

I really a newb with this wireless stuff so if you could break it down I'd appreciate. I was reading last months PC World and they rated Netgear and Linksys both above the Buffalo products. Also, what do you mean when you say "have one box to do one thing and a seperate box to do another". What features does the Buffalo provide that makes it so special? Thanks.
post #117 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you look at that PC Magazine article again, look closely at the throughput numbers for the different units. Also there is a specific mention of the WBR-G54 in the text of the article. The Linksys and Netgear may have gotten overall higher marks because the Buffalo got knocked for it's (lack of) configuration utilities, but the Buffalo still had the highest throughput of all units tested.

Basically, the WBR-G54 can function as the following: router, wireless access point, 4 port switch, dedicated AND shared wireless to ethernet bridge (WDS-bridging protocol).

Here are the Linksys products in question with comparison to WBR-G54

WRT54G - Wireless-G broadband router --> no bridging

WAP54G - Wireless-G Access point --> no router, no 4-port switch, can be either dedicated wireless to ethernet bridge OR access point not both, latest firmware *may* enable repeating function...does not use standard WDS-bridging protocol

WET54G - Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge --> dedicated bridge only. Does not use WDS bridging, bridges using SSID information (useless for roaming networks)

Though it looks like you could mix and match any of these Linksys products to make your network for RTV streaming purposes, others have reported varying results. As a consumer, I would expect at the very least that products from the same manufacturer would work well together. To me, this is the main benefit of the Buffalo WBR-G54... there is no confusion of which box to buy. If you have a DSL connection that you want to share wirelessly to other wired networks and extend the internet connection, just buy as many WBR-G54s as you need and only enable the features you want (router, bridge, AP, etc). At 77.95 a piece right now, it's cheaper than any of the Linksys products I have mentioned above.
post #118 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 03:31 PM

What about Netgear? Are their features similar?
post #119 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry, you'll have to do your own research on the NetGear products. I was a linksys user before finding the Buffalo.
post #120 of 703 Old 10-28-2003, 09:15 PM

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation! It was exactly what I was looking for.

This forum is amazingly helpful and this new hobby is quickly becoming an obsession... My girlfriend is starting to get jealous of the replaytvs and my new pc.

Cheers again for the great advice.

JP
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page