Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #361 of 389 Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can someone confirm that this should work with tivo files? I swore I read that somewhere, but now I can't find it.

I'm trying to convert directivo recorded ty files (as mpeg files) into files that will playback on the replay.

I can get audio and video (odd since the tivo has a 480x480 image size) but the audio is out of sync maybe a couple of seconds ahead of the video.

My process was...
extract ty file from tivo
tytools to edit and create a mpeg file
rtvedit to of full file to create a new file and ndx file
rtvedit again after ndx was created
rtvconvert edited file to 5k fixed file
import to dvarchive as 5k file.

Has anyone else done this? If so what did I do wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 389 Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Jeff, 99% sure the problem is the rtvconvert stage. Back when I was converting DVDs to RTV-compatible mpegs I'd get a few DVDs with audio sync problems and the culprit was always rtvconvert. The mpeg following 2*rtvedit was always OK. If I then ran Womble GOP fixer on the out-of-sync rtvconvert mpg or de-muxed, re-muxed with Womble to fix sync problems then the mpg would no longer play on RTVs. So I think the problem is with rtvconvert, but without source code there's not much else that can be done. There's nothing wrong with the flow you followed.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #363 of 389 Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 AM

Liked: 10
Sweet tools, I wish I had wired this thing instead of slow ass wireless b.
post #364 of 389 Old 08-14-2005, 12:35 PM

Hi everyone,
I have been a replaytv user for several years. I used to own a Showstopper 2000 and have many of the Showstopper 2000 MPG files on a hard drive which I had transferred using EXTRACT_RTV. I now have two networked 5040 units, along with dvarchive on my computer. I have read posts about converting 4000 series files to stream, but I am wondering if anyone knows if I can convert and stream the MPG files from my Showstopper which I have on my computer? I would love to import these into dvarchive and be able to watch them again.
Thanks for any info!!
Brad
post #365 of 389 Old 08-14-2005, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

moyekj, so you did exactly what I did and got sync problems?

One interesting thing I noticed in the recording is the first frame has a time code of 3 seconds or something. I'm going to try the same test with a ty file that doesn't have a strange start frame time.

I could have sworn Lee or Agent-X had said something about tivo stuff, but still not sure where I saw that. Nor do I know if it was SA tivo or Directivo. I'm really trying to get some stuff from the tivo to the replay without rerecording it on the replay that's easy to do, but takes a lot more time that batch processing. =)
post #366 of 389 Old 08-18-2005, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed that Lee hasn't been around since December of last year...

Maybe he just got bored with this place?
post #367 of 389 Old 08-23-2005, 06:40 AM

Quick question.

I have a ReplayTv 5K and I do the following before burning my shows to dvd

1)Download from DArchive
2)Run files through rtvedit
3)Run through rtvconvert
4) Burn to dvd using Uleads Movie Factory 2

Do I need to run these files through rtvconvert? I'ts been awhile since I've done any converting/editing.. just wanna make sure I have the steps down right.

Also what does rtvconvert do to the files?

Turok
post #368 of 389 Old 08-23-2005, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the right process. I believe there's a -d option for rtvcovert that you'll want for output of DVD ready files...

it's been a while for me too!
post #369 of 389 Old 08-30-2005, 07:05 PM

Can someone help me convert .avi files to .mpg and import into DVArchive so I can stream onto a ReplayTV 5508 unit? I am converting .avi to .mpg using TMPGenc, but rtvconvert always gives errors. I tried various audio/video settings but did not work. I appreciate if someone can help me out... Thanks
post #370 of 389 Old 09-17-2005, 01:03 AM

Help out of synch guy

I am a newbie. trying to transfer old vhs files that belong to me to dvd because some of them are starting to go bad. I am using an ati card to stream the movies into my puter. the mpg-2 file plays fine, but when I try to use Nero to make a dvd I get coastes. I cannot even burn an image on my second drive.

I have seen the posts and downloaded rtvtools.zip but have no idea what to do with it since i am not a puter programmer (that is what I and my friends call them affectionately.)

Can anyone help an old man who wants to save his videos of family and kids without going broke in the process?

Please feel free to email me direct. I will be grateful.

rknik
post #371 of 389 Old 09-17-2005, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming you're hooking your VCR up to the ATI's input? What settings are you using for the ATI capture?

--Andy--
post #372 of 389 Old 09-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyAM
Hi everyone,
I have been a replaytv user for several years. I used to own a Showstopper 2000 and have many of the Showstopper 2000 MPG files on a hard drive which I had transferred using EXTRACT_RTV. I now have two networked 5040 units, along with dvarchive on my computer. I have read posts about converting 4000 series files to stream, but I am wondering if anyone knows if I can convert and stream the MPG files from my Showstopper which I have on my computer? I would love to import these into dvarchive and be able to watch them again.
Thanks for any info!!
Brad
Brad, if you re-encode the audio to 48kHz I think you should be good. Per RTVtools RTV MPEG-2 files should have the following attributes:

Resolution: any valid MPEG-2 width, 480+ height
Framerate: 23.976, 29.97 and 59.94
Bitrate: 2-8Mpbs CBR/VBR
Audio: 48KHz @ 112-320kbps, MPEG-1 layer II
GOP struct: 1 seq per GOP

There are a lot of different freeware programs that can demux then reencode the audio then mux them back for you. You can get a lot of help at videohelp.com for that. One way is to use TMPGenc to demux then Lame to reencode audio and TMPGenc again to mux them back.

the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
advocate
post #373 of 389 Old 10-05-2005, 11:59 AM

I would give anything to get RTV Convert for replay 4500s...
I would be willing to pay ... ... any ideas anyone ?

Poopli Members:

post #374 of 389 Old 10-15-2005, 06:30 AM

hey you the man or women
post #375 of 389 Old 11-01-2005, 02:24 PM

I've been trying to download the rtvtoolsrev4.zip file, but I get an error. Is this a known problem here or am I doing something wrong? I don't see any problems on my end.
post #376 of 389 Old 11-02-2005, 01:41 PM

a 4k once thought : " If i coud only stream to Replay, I would be as happy as my brother 5k " . Damn ! Why was I born before !

Poopli Members:

post #377 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Thompson
EC,

*bangs head on desk* I don't think you've read my instructions. DVD2AVI in this instance does NOT make an AVI, there is no (or very little) quality loss*. (I'm not angry but I am very frustrated). Maybe it's my fault ... I'll try again. Ok deep breath.

I'm sure this is not the only way to do it but this is going to give you consistant results. I don't really care what way you do it in the end but clearly either you didn't read my instructions well or I wasn't clear enough.

If your source is anamorphic you are NOT going to avoid transcoding the MPEG, but TMPGEnc's got one of the best encoder's you're going to find this side of $1500.

*NOTE: If you end up having to re-encode the video you may notice some picture quality loss, that can be further tweaked but if you're that picky about quality just buy another DVD player for the bedroom - you're just being silly with this. They are as cheap as $35.

Here it is again:

1. Load up the VOB title set in DVD2AVI.

2. Save the *PROJECT* *NOT* an AVI. The keyboard shortcut is F4. This creates a .d2v and .wav file for TMPGEnc. The .d2v will be fairly small, usually it's less than 500KB. The .wav will probably be fairly large probably just under a gigabyte for most DVDs. The good news is the .WAV is decoded dolby digital (with a surround downmix if you selected that in DVD2AVI's menu) and is even synced up.

3. Load up TMPGEnc, put the .d2v in for the video, and the .wav for the audio. You can also tell it how you want it to handle aspect ratios (settings->advanced) and whatnot and any other filter options you may desire. Use the RTVTools 5K MPEG template here for best results.

If your source is anamorphic you will definately need to re-encode the video, once the template is loaded to go settings and then advanced and select 'Full Screen (keep aspect ratio)'. You may need to tell it the source is 16:9 if it didn't detect it properly.

If your source isn't anamorphic and the video does not need reencoding, just use the .wav from step #2 and encode the audio (or you can use another program to encode the audio). 48khz MPEG-1 Layer 2 at 192kbps. Once you have a .m2v and .mpa use TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools and multiplex it and pick this up at step 5.

4. Encode.

5. Use RTVConvert.

6. Then import into DVA.

7. Enjoy.

That's it. I've given you all the help I can and I'm just gonna let you figure it out now. If you want to try again, reread, if you have a question.. ask.
Sorry to revive this thread, but I felt it was the most relavent. I am trying to run a .mpg file through RTVConvert so I can send it to my ReplayTV 5080. It fails because the .mpg has AC3 audio instead of MPEG-1 Layer 2. Above, Lee explains how to use DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc to demux, convert and bring it back together again.

My question is since this post is from March 2004, is there an easier way to do this in 2006? I would love to have a utility where you specify the .mpg file, pick some audio settings, then process.

I have Womble (3 year old version) and it looks like this is an option, but the finished product appears to be Layer III regardless of which Layer type I pick before processing.

I also tried it with VideoReDo. RTVConvert starts processing the file, but then craps out with another error.

So, has anyone had any success doing with one tool?

Thanks,
-Lee
post #378 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Go here to get Video2ReplayTV.bat which will transcode not only AC3 but most any other format as well. You don't have to do anything but drag the video file over to it and drop it there.

Don't sweat petty things, and don't pet sweaty things.
post #379 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Hey, thanks Rex! I actually tried out your script a few days ago, but could not find all the components. I then switched over to a similar batch file that just uses the RTV Toolset. Of course, now I have the AC3 problem.

I had trouble finding a copy of ffmpeg.exe, but I believe I eventually did find it.

Sooooo...... I'll give it a try again tonight and report back.

Thanks for the reply!!!

-Lee
post #380 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinnl
Sorry to revive this thread, but I felt it was the most relavent. I am trying to run a .mpg file through RTVConvert so I can send it to my ReplayTV 5080. It fails because the .mpg has AC3 audio instead of MPEG-1 Layer 2. Above, Lee explains how to use DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc to demux, convert and bring it back together again.

My question is since this post is from March 2004, is there an easier way to do this in 2006? I would love to have a utility where you specify the .mpg file, pick some audio settings, then process.

I have Womble (3 year old version) and it looks like this is an option, but the finished product appears to be Layer III regardless of which Layer type I pick before processing.

I also tried it with VideoReDo. RTVConvert starts processing the file, but then craps out with another error.

So, has anyone had any success doing with one tool?

Thanks,
-Lee

Be farwarned that if you pay for the upgrade to the current womble which says it supports "replaytv edit files" to auto-edit out the commercials, this only works for 50xx SERIES AND BEYOND replaytv files (which use a text file format for their edit into). The 40xx series uses a binary format which neither the current version of womble (which I annoyingly paid for and got no value in return for since I have a 4080 (well, actually a 40320 :))). Caveat emptor.

As far as I know, there is still no piece of software out there that will utilize the 40xx series edit files to allow you to auto-edit out commercials - IF SO, SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THIS FOR LITERALLY *YEARS* NOW!
post #381 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks
Go here to get Video2ReplayTV.bat which will transcode not only AC3 but most any other format as well. You don't have to do anything but drag the video file over to it and drop it there.
I did find all the necessary components, but when I try to convert a .mpg file it gives me an error.

Digital Video to 5K ReplayTV Converter 2005-12-30
Written by Rex Rivers - mailto:Wrecks@awes.com
Land of Awes Information Services - Wichita, Kansas
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This batch file will convert most digital video files to a "MEDIUM" quality
5K ReplayTV format which can be streamed via the DVArchive program.

Seems that stream 0 comes from film source: 29.97->24.00
Input #0, mpeg, from 'H:\\Convert\\Minnesota Cuke Full.mpg':
Duration: 00:42:58.1, bitrate: 4784 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps
Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x0000
Output #0, vcd, to 'H:\\Convert\\Minnesota Cuke Full.SVCD.mpeg':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps, q=2-31, 7413 kb/s
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Unsupported codec (id=10) for input stream #0.1
Error=1

A problem occurred that prevented the video from converting.
Press any key to continue . . .

Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #382 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlparker
Be farwarned that if you pay for the upgrade to the current womble which says it supports "replaytv edit files" to auto-edit out the commercials, this only works for 50xx SERIES AND BEYOND replaytv files (which use a text file format for their edit into). The 40xx series uses a binary format which neither the current version of womble (which I annoyingly paid for and got no value in return for since I have a 4080 (well, actually a 40320 :))). Caveat emptor.

As far as I know, there is still no piece of software out there that will utilize the 40xx series edit files to allow you to auto-edit out commercials - IF SO, SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND THIS FOR LITERALLY *YEARS* NOW!
Good advice. This is the exact reason I dropped $200 bucks last week and ordered 2 5080's off of eBay. I am retiring my 4508.

BTW, you would not believe the difference in quality. If I had known how much better a 5xxx series looked than a 45xx, I would have switched a long time ago. I watched the Panther's game on my 5080 last Sunday and I only saw a tiny bit of pixilization once (is pixilization a real word?). I stopped watching live football games on my 4508 because of the poor quality.
post #383 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Good advice. This is the exact reason I dropped $200 bucks last week and ordered 2 5080's off of eBay. I am retiring my 4508.

BTW, you would not believe the difference in quality. If I had known how much better a 5xxx series looked than a 45xx, I would have switched a long time ago. I watched the Panther's game on my 5080 last Sunday and I only saw a tiny bit of pixilization once (is pixilization a real word?). I stopped watching live football games on my 4508 because of the poor quality.
Didn't the 50xx versions take out the commercial skip feature? That's the main reason I never upgraded. Also, are they are easy to "upgrade" the hard drive (I did my 80mb to a 320mb in an hour) as the 40xx's? TIA,

Terry

PS- GIGO applies to these babies big-time -- a weak signal makes for an awful picture, you can stick an amp in and all of a sudden, whammo, beautiful picture. I also use a "dead" Voom satellite box to get my HDTV signals and feed them to my 40320 via S-video and they look awesome.
post #384 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlparker
Didn't the 50xx versions take out the commercial skip feature? That's the main reason I never upgraded. Also, are they are easy to "upgrade" the hard drive (I did my 80mb to a 320mb in an hour) as the 40xx's? TIA,

Terry

PS- GIGO applies to these babies big-time -- a weak signal makes for an awful picture, you can stick an amp in and all of a sudden, whammo, beautiful picture. I also use a "dead" Voom satellite box to get my HDTV signals and feed them to my 40320 via S-video and they look awesome.
The 50xx series still has CA. They removed it from the 55xx series.

Never tired an upgrade, I use DVA. From what I understand, they are very similiar in that regard.

I have noticed the GIGO principle with the Replays, but in my case, I unplugged the 4508, stuck the 5080 in its place, hooked the same wires back up, and instant better picture. I am only using the coax. I should have tried S-Video, but never got around to trying it. I need to add that to my list.

-Lee
post #385 of 389 Old 01-18-2006, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did find all the necessary components, but when I try to convert a .mpg file it gives me an error.

Digital Video to 5K ReplayTV Converter 2005-12-30
Written by Rex Rivers - mailto:Wrecks@awes.com
Land of Awes Information Services - Wichita, Kansas

This batch file will convert most digital video files to a "MEDIUM" quality
5K ReplayTV format which can be streamed via the DVArchive program.

Seems that stream 0 comes from film source: 29.97->24.00
Input #0, mpeg, from 'H:\\Convert\\Minnesota Cuke Full.mpg':
Duration: 00:42:58.1, bitrate: 4784 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps
Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x0000
Output #0, vcd, to 'H:\\Convert\\Minnesota Cuke Full.SVCD.mpeg':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 29.97 fps, q=2-31, 7413 kb/s
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
Unsupported codec (id=10) for input stream #0.1
Error=1

A problem occurred that prevented the video from converting.
Press any key to continue . . .

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I see a couple of problems.

You may be running a customized version of FFMPEG.EXE that does not have all the code in it. The fact that yours doesn't identify which version it is or what components are included makes this suspect. When you invoke FFMPEG.EXE you should be getting some information like:

ffmpeg version CVS, build 3277056, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
configuration: --prefix=/c/ffmpeg --enable-mp3lame --enable-libogg --enable-vorbis --enable-theora --enable-faac --enable-xvid --enable-x264 --enable-mingw32 --enable-a52 --enable-dts --enable-pp --enable-amr_nb --enable-amr_wb --enable-gpl --enable-dirac --enable-memalign-hack
built on Dec 9 2005 01:07:09, gcc: 4.0.2

If not, the codec necessary to decipher the audio may not be in the program. This seems like it might be the case because it seems to be finding either no audio or an unknown audio stream in the file (Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x0000).

In addition, it looks like the batch file has been futzed with. It should be generating a ReplayTV compatible SVCD video file, not a VCD video file.

PS: Isn't this a lot of work for a VeggieTales video?

Don't sweat petty things, and don't pet sweaty things.
post #386 of 389 Old 01-19-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks
I see a couple of problems.

You may be running a customized version of FFMPEG.EXE that does not have all the code in it. The fact that yours doesn't identify which version it is or what components are included makes this suspect. When you invoke FFMPEG.EXE you should be getting some information like:

ffmpeg version CVS, build 3277056, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
configuration: --prefix=/c/ffmpeg --enable-mp3lame --enable-libogg --enable-vorbis --enable-theora --enable-faac --enable-xvid --enable-x264 --enable-mingw32 --enable-a52 --enable-dts --enable-pp --enable-amr_nb --enable-amr_wb --enable-gpl --enable-dirac --enable-memalign-hack
built on Dec 9 2005 01:07:09, gcc: 4.0.2

If not, the codec necessary to decipher the audio may not be in the program. This seems like it might be the case because it seems to be finding either no audio or an unknown audio stream in the file (Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x0000).

In addition, it looks like the batch file has been futzed with. It should be generating a ReplayTV compatible SVCD video file, not a VCD video file.

PS: Isn't this a lot of work for a VeggieTales video?
The problem was the version of ffmpeg I was using was too old. I found a newer version and I am good to go. Thanks so much for the help and for writing this batch file.

Thanks to Lee T. for the toolkit as well.

-Lee

PS VeggieTales ROCK!!!
post #387 of 389 Old 06-13-2006, 12:08 PM

Is there an alternative to the broken link in the first post of this thread for downloading RTVTools?

Thanks.
post #388 of 389 Old 06-13-2006, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right-click and do a save target as.

Bob
post #389 of 389 Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcrane
Right-click and do a save target as.

Awesome!!! That worked like a charm. Huge thanks to you, Bob, and to all of the others who have worked on these tools, tested them, questioned their function, etc.. Also, many thanks to all involved with DVA, RTVPatch, and all of the other tools, tips, and tricks available for our beloved RTV boxes. You people truly make AVS Forum an invaluable resource.

Thank you !!! Thank you !!! Thank you !!! Thank you !!! Thank you !!!

Larry
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page