ReplayTV 5K Tools (Revision 4) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
QUESTION:

NOTE - JBARR JUMP IN HERE IN YOU HAVE ANY ADDITONAL THOUGHTS

Could it be possible to do on the fly conversion of MP3 and stream the resulting file with DVArchive? Would be cool if a program like DVArchive could search your computer for MP3's and offer them for streaming where the ReplayTV would see them. Then if a particular song is called it would be converted and streamed on the fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the batch file icecow was refering to I had foundit a while back in another thread (cant seem to find it anymore) Thanks to the original author.......

evtdump %1 > evt.txt
rtvedit -t1 evt.txt
pause

Put these lines in a text file called edit.bat, then drag the evt file for the mpeg you wish to edit and drop it on the icon for this batch file, it will edit the file and drop it into the same directory as the original.

(I forgot, this might be obvious, but for this to work you must drop the utilities somewhere in your path ie. c:\\windows\\system32)
post #33 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think I follow, but I know very little about the differences between T-STD and P-STD. What you're saying is the timing relationship between the two streams is lost on a plain ol' split the stream demux. So, it would be best to split the streams with rtvconvert -d to go to dvd source files. Is the only time the rtvconvert demuxer used when using the -d option?
Actually it will work either way with release 4, the -d option actually just tells rtvconvert to leave the streams separate instead of re-muxing them (since most DVD authoring programs want them separated anyway).

post #34 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jingcha
Are there similar tools for the 4K series, I have 4504 RTV. Please help
I do think it's possible, but I don't have access to a 4K series box to make it work. We tried to include 4K support the second release, but debugging via proxy doesn't work for this. If I can find one for cheap, I might look at it again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I think I follow, but I know very little about the differences between T-STD and P-STD. What you're saying is the timing relationship between the two streams is lost on a plain ol' split the stream demux. So, it would be best to split the streams with rtvconvert -d to go to dvd source files. Is the only time the rtvconvert demuxer used when using the -d option?
T-STD isn't relevant here. It's another end-to-end model designed to solve a completely different set of problems for digital broadcast. In P-STD, the original timing has to be propogated to maintain sync. That doesn't mean the original timestamps have to be used, but the timing relationship across streams has to be maintained. This is already done by rtvedit since the first release and is needed to stream back to your RTV in sync.

If your DVD authoring program can take elementary streams (not all of them do), you are better off using -d to write them. The new demuxer is still used internally whether you use -d or not, so the .mpg written out can be imported in your DVD authoring program as well (it will just have to demux it again).

Quote:
Demuxing and remuxing the mpeg the remuxed stream plays fine on the replay but all sync is lost. I'm curious rtvconvert can fix what I suspect is garbage in the source recording.
rtvconvert won't fix this. If there are any errors in the stream, they will get propogated through. You can try to cut out the offending part with rtvedit, but if the sync error is in the source stream this will have no effect. If the error is caused by a decoder reset, this has a good chance of fixing it.
post #35 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by versed
When I have tried to prevent the splitting, I have ended up with files that rtvconvert would not handle, failing with an invalid stream id message. The svcd settings above are the only ones I've found thus far that appear to set the corrrect stream ID.
When you are coming from vobs, make sure your audio is converted from ac3 to mp2 and you only have a single audio track. The invalid stream id is almost always an ac3 stream or a second audio track. When you run mplex, make sure you get this and I think you should be okay:

INFO: [mplex] MPEG AUDIO STREAM: c0
INFO: [mplex] Audio version : 1.0
INFO: [mplex] Layer : 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Loren Kruse.
Could it be possible to do on the fly conversion of MP3 and stream the resulting file with DVArchive?
Possible. Even mpeg-2 streaming conversion could be possible. But the .ndx would have to be faked and you can't use standard filesystem calls to access or move through the stream. You'd likely need to have a server plug-in interface in DVArchive, which to my knowledge does not exist.

Quote:
Originally posted by mastafunk
evtdump %1 > evt.txt
rtvedit -t1 evt.txt
pause
If you're using edit times from evtdump, you really shouldn't be using -t1 in rtvedit. That is, unless you like having cut times being wrong. ;) That's pretty cool though, add a notepad evt.txt between evtdump and rtvedit and it'll automatically pop up a window to tweak the script in and automatically run when you close it.
post #36 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Thompson
That should be:
Code:
FTiny Planets.mpg
E
The resulting file will be Tiny Planets1.mpg, process that file with rtvconvert for authoring.
Worked perfect. I needed to do 6 files. Can they be batched? I tried

Code:
FTiny Planets.mpg
FTiny Planets1.mpg
FTiny Planets2.mpg
FTiny Planets3.mpg
FTiny Planets4.mpg
E
This only seemed to do the last file. No big deal, but curious if the command can be batched like this?

Thanks again! DVD authored like a champ!!

This space for rent.
post #37 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
agent-x, do you have any way to convert the byte offset reported back in the error to a time code so it can be edited out?

The errror reported was an unsupported stream, type B5. I don't know what a b5 stream is, not "normal" audio or video...
post #38 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 02:26 PM

Quote:
agent-x, do you have any way to convert the byte offset reported back in the error to a time code so it can be edited out?

The errror reported was an unsupported stream, type B5. I don't know what a b5 stream is, not "normal" audio or video...
No easy way, but you can convert the byte offset manually using the .ndx file to within a half second. Use a hex editor on the .ndx and look for the entry just before the given offset. Then find the associated time for that entry (it'll be 8 bytes long in nanoseconds). I can have the tools report the last known time in the next release.

B5 indicates an mpeg-2 extension in the video stream. You're somewhere in the middle of a video frame, which means your RTV dropped some video buffers out of the encoder. :(
post #39 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loren Kruse.
QUESTION:

Could it be possible to do on the fly conversion of MP3 and stream the resulting file with DVArchive? Would be cool if a program like DVArchive could search your computer for MP3's and offer them for streaming where the ReplayTV would see them. Then if a particular song is called it would be converted and streamed on the fly.
I think so, I have started 2 threads on this already (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=mp3+replaytv) and posted the suggestion to sourceforge under the dvarchive forum. So much for talk, the work I have done (just a little scripting) is spelled out here (http://www.xnet.com/~stuart/mp3replaytv). But for all of it to work (stream it to a replaytv) we needed 2 things. First rtvconvert needed to be rewritten to be able to use named pipes... Hey hey, this latest version allows that! Tell your "friend" thanks Lee! Second, we need a tool to spool the mpeg 2 back to the replaytv unit. And DVArchive is my pick. There is no source code on line as (I think) it had a "CVS moment" over at sourceforge.net. So I am waiting for version 3.0 (current version 2.1) to see how the streaming is done in Java.

But, even after these two mile stones, there are other problems to work on. Right now, I have seen a buffering problem into / out-of a program called mp2enc. I am using it to change a .wav file to a .mpg (level 2) audio file. I noticed that the buffering is such that playback will stop while mp2enc processes a bunch of data (I think 4K bytes) then continue again once mp2enc is done. I hope I will discover or someone will point out a way to avoid this stuttering.

Also, it appears that rtvconvert does not create the .ndx and .evt files until the streaming process is finished. Well, to be exact the .ndx is written to once for about each minute of material and once at the end. The .evt file is written to at the end. These files are necessary for DVArchive, well if you play back the mpeg locally on your computer they don't appear to be necessary. But, if you try to play back an mpeg an a RepalyTV after deleting them from the DVArchive directory the ReplayTV will crash (freeze up). So, in order to stream MP3s for playback on a ReplayTV - some code some where will have to analyze the MP3 and generate these files before the streaming process starts. Can anyone fill me in on the format of a .ndx or .evt file?
post #40 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm a bit confused about video file formats. There are some Maya (3d program) tutorials I have which are in quicktime format. I have some others in .avi format.

I'd like to watch the tutorials on the TV w/Replay awhile I follow along on the laptop

Over the last few years I've had alot of "who's on first..." (classic comedy routine reference) conversations with people about video formats.

I'm told things like ".avi is an MPEG..." when I try to figure out the minutia (details) differences between the two.

I've read all the readme's of RTVtools. I can't determine (or perhaps remember reading) how to get .avi files and quicktime files to an acceptible form where it can then be converted with RTVtools for playback via DVA to my TV screen.

hobbling questions I'd just like to get completely straight:
1)can RTVtools handle .avi files? (I can hear the ax falling already)is there any other extentions that are acceptable MPGS in disguise?
2)Is there a command line program that will convert 1>quicktime 2>.avi(if applicable), 3>.divx, 4>any other common interent to an MPG2 which can then be used by RTVtools.

I have unpromised intentions to figure out some stuff and report back anything good. Need to be babystepped though misconceptions first.

cow
post #41 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave. It's a codec based multimedia format, it's possible to have MPEG-4 in an AVI but I don't think it's possible to have MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

You'll need to encode the AVI using TMPGEnc, Vegas Video, Premiere etc. Ttemplates for TMPGEnc are included in the RTV Toolkit package.

1. No. AVI is not MPEG-2.
2. Don't know of one.
3. DivX is an AVI MPEG-4 codec with a spotty history - TMPGEnc can handle it with a little massaging.

You can find TMPGEnc at http://www.tmpgenc.net
post #42 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dyker
[b]Worked perfect. I needed to do 6 files. Can they be batched? I tried

Code:
FTiny Planets.mpg
FTiny Planets1.mpg
FTiny Planets2.mpg
FTiny Planets3.mpg
FTiny Planets4.mpg
E
Each output file needs it's own edit script. You CAN combine multiple inputs into one output however.

There's more detail and examples of this in the documentation.
post #43 of 389 Old 10-19-2003, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Thompson
AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave. It's a codec based multimedia format, it's possible to have MPEG-4 in an AVI but I don't think it's possible to have MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

You'll need to encode the AVI using TMPGEnc, Vegas Video, Premiere etc. Ttemplates for TMPGEnc are included in the RTV Toolkit package.

1. No. AVI is not MPEG-2.
2. Don't know of one.
3. DivX is an AVI MPEG-4 codec with a spotty history - TMPGEnc can handle it with a little massaging.

You can find TMPGEnc at http://www.tmpgenc.net
I think you might be wrong on this... Microsoft has taken a very strange (read closed and open) position on "other file formats" they basturdized (misspelled to beat censored to *******ized) thier format to work with other popular formats. You could possibly wrap a avi wrapper around an MPEG file and get something that's an MPEG in an AVI file.

MS does this with MP3's in wave files. Took me a while to hunt this down when working on some audio decoder code a while back. I saw this file that looked like both a wav and a MP3 file, turns out it was both. They just put a wav file header on an MP3 file and then it's a WAV MP3 file! But I view it as an MP3 file with junk at the beginning! ;)

I wouldn't put it past them to do the same with AVI.
And the AVI format can be thought of as a stream wrapper... so it makes sense, but once again... it's dumb because it's confusing.
post #44 of 389 Old 10-20-2003, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by agent-x

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mastafunk
evtdump %1 > evt.txt
rtvedit -t1 evt.txt
pause
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're using edit times from evtdump, you really shouldn't be using -t1 in rtvedit. That is, unless you like having cut times being wrong. ;) That's pretty cool though, add a notepad evt.txt between evtdump and rtvedit and it'll automatically pop up a window to tweak the script in and automatically run when you close it.
so... I've been hedging towards something entirely obvious and I can't figure out why it seemly has not been brought up..

Assuming one is willing to accept the replayTV's judgement of where commercials are, and transfer the show to a PC via DVArchive..

Couldn't we offer a very basic batch file that:
>found the commercials (entdump)
>removed the commercials (rtvedit)
>made the dvd compliant (rtvconvert)
Done

modeled from above looking something like this:
evtdump %1 > evt.txt
rtvedit -t1 evt.txt
rconvert %1 > .mpg <--that line work if it's cleaned up?
pause
*if it is this easy why not just include it with rtvtools for now with little instructions

Notes and questions:
>I know evtdump can be adjusted, is there known figures that can be put in entdump that would render the exact same commercial skipping as what we witness when seeing the show? That is, if we saw a show that skipped commercials perfectly, is there a way to make envdump gauranty spitting out the exact same positions for rtvedit? If so I'd conclude that a little batch script could be made and used for all known shows who's CA works perfectly. (I see the spellcheck button, where's the revise button)

>for the record, here's the link of the original post about the little batch script icon:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...20#post2790420

>here's a link to a batch file that finds the root name of a file if that is applicable: http://www.ericphelps.com/batch/samp...otname.bat.txt

cow
post #45 of 389 Old 10-20-2003, 09:36 AM

> Use -d in rtvconvert to write demuxed streams and use -f 8 or -f 9 in mplex for dvd.

This works great. I have finally made my first DVD using
solaris x86 box running rtvtools, mplex, and dvdauthor. I
have not figured out how to burn dvd on that machine
yet, but using a win98 machine to acess the resulting
directory across the network and burn it on dvd is just
as good.
post #46 of 389 Old 10-20-2003, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think you might be wrong on this... Microsoft has taken a very strange (read closed and open) position on "other file formats" they basturdized (misspelled to beat censored to *******ized) thier format to work with other popular formats. You could possibly wrap a avi wrapper around an MPEG file and get something that's an MPEG in an AVI file.

Maybe but I don't think I am. At any rate Microsoft now uses their Windows Media wrapper on everything which primarily uses MPEG-4.

I suppose it's possible someone could write such a thing but AVI's design doesn't really support it. You could probably get an MPEG-2 codec video stream running but the audio is always interleaved, no PTS support. So whatever it would be would be funky indeed and would not be.. MPEG.
post #47 of 389 Old 10-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Re-rendering question: If I take a "raw" ReplayTV file recorded at Medium Quality and import it into Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2, it may or may not import. This is typical. If I take a "raw" file and run it through rtvconvert, the resulting file imports nicely into DMF2, and the audio is in sync, but when I go to burn a disk, it still needs to re-render the file. Is this typical? One HUGE feature of Womble is that the "raw" file edited and saved using Womble imports into DMF2, but doesn't require re-rendering.

Any thoughts? Oh, and I have nothing at all against the rtvconvert app in any way! It's a cool and very quick app that nicely cleans up the file. I just am wondering why it requires re-rendering in DMF2.

-Jim

Visit SageTVTips.com for SageTV tips! MoxiTips.com for Moxi tips! Visit JimsTips.com for my "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide!
post #48 of 389 Old 10-22-2003, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It should not require re-rendering.

Neither I nor agent-x have DVD Movie Factory v2 so we cannot test on it.
post #49 of 389 Old 10-22-2003, 10:06 AM

I've tested it on UDMF1 and it doesn't re-render there. First, don't run a "raw" RTV file through rtvconvert. You *have* to run it through rtvedit first. If you're not doing that, it may fix the problem. If you are, then have rtvconvert demux the stream and re-mux it with bbmpg or something that can mux a dvd stream.
The primary goal of rtvconvert is still to generate a mpg that is muxed for streaming to an RTV. It's possible UDMF2 may not like something about it, but none of the authoring apps we've used have re-rendered, including UDMF1.
post #50 of 389 Old 10-22-2003, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by agent-x
The primary goal of rtvconvert is still to generate a mpg that is muxed for streaming to an RTV.
I've been wondering about this, so I'm glad you mentioned it. From what I can tell, I should be running all my downloaded ReplayTV files through rtvedit and then rtvconvert, to improve their compatibility with other decoders and applications. And this post-processing doesn't adversely affect streaming back to the ReplayTV, so there's no harm, right?

However, is there a limit to how many times you can/should run rtvedit and/or rtvconvert against a given video file?
post #51 of 389 Old 10-22-2003, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
If I take a "raw" file and run it through rtvconvert, the resulting file imports nicely into DMF2, and the audio is in sync, but when I go to burn a disk, it still needs to re-render the file. Is this typical?
jbarr,
I've been making DVD's according to your "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide. Great work. It helped a lot and I've burned about 30 dvd's that way. Over the weekend I had a problem with audio sync in 1 file using womble. Pretty good success rate (1 of 90). I found this thread over the weekend when I was trying to fix the audio problem. I tried the RTVedit and RTVConvert on 3 shows and it worked great. I then imported them into DMF2, set up the menu's and burned them. DMF2 didn't re-render them. I'm going to continue to test out this method and hopefully DMF2 will continue to not re-render.
post #52 of 389 Old 10-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Cool! Looks like the essential rtvedit step is what I left out. I'll try it and see what happens.

Thanks!!!

-Jim

Visit SageTVTips.com for SageTV tips! MoxiTips.com for Moxi tips! Visit JimsTips.com for my "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide!
post #53 of 389 Old 10-23-2003, 01:35 PM

what am I doing wrong?

I have a Windows XP machine and get the following;

-=-=-=-from a dos window-=-=-=-=-

F:\\wiggles-new>dir try*
Volume in drive F is VIDEO
Volume Serial Number is 547C-1CC7

Directory of F:\\wiggles-new

10/23/2003 04:10 PM 80 tryme.evt
10/23/2003 04:10 PM 323,231,900 tryme.mpg
10/23/2003 04:10 PM 64,232 tryme.ndx
3 File(s) 323,296,212 bytes
0 Dir(s) 25,909,500,928 bytes free

F:\\wiggles-new>rtvconvert -d tryme
Can't open file -d.mpg

F:\\wiggles-new>rtvconvert -d tryme.mpg
Can't open file -d.mpg

F:\\wiggles-new>rtvconvert
rtvconvert [-d] <source.mpg> <dest.mpg>

F:\\wiggles-new>

Kevin Cossaboon
kevin@cossaboon.net
post #54 of 389 Old 10-23-2003, 01:42 PM

Need to have output file name

F:\\wiggles-new>rtvconvert -d tryme.mpg out2
Source: tryme.mpg
Target: out2.m2v, out2.mp2
Program Time: 022:18.369
Convert Time: 001:06.360

F:\\wiggles-new>

Kevin Cossaboon
kevin@cossaboon.net
post #55 of 389 Old 10-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Still waiting for these tools on the 4XXXX platform :>
post #56 of 389 Old 10-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've been super busy lately but I look forward to using my free time next week to figure out these new tools. I have been keeping that 3 hour documentary on The Spartans around until I had time to DVD-ize it.

With an early version of the tools I made an edit list for that show, to snip the pledge breaks, but my edit points were all off by a few seconds after I processed the file. At the time I couldn't find any info about that problem.. sound familiar to anyone? v5.0 5040 high-Q file, it was.
post #57 of 389 Old 10-23-2003, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by krkaufman
However, is there a limit to how many times you can/should run rtvedit and/or rtvconvert against a given video file?
I would recommend 1 and 1. :) That said, you can run rtvedit against an rtvedited stream without any issues (at least in theory). But once you run it through rtvconvert, there are a few issues that may prevent rtvedit from working properly. Realize that once you do this, it's not a 5K stream any more - it's a 5K "like" stream. If you want to keep the streams, keep the rtvedit ones and simply run rtvconvert before you burn it.
post #58 of 389 Old 10-23-2003, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by horseflesh
With an early version of the tools I made an edit list for that show, to snip the pledge breaks, but my edit points were all off by a few seconds after I processed the file. At the time I couldn't find any info about that problem.. sound familiar to anyone?
Use the -t1 switch if you are manually creating edits. Check the docs for more info.
post #59 of 389 Old 10-24-2003, 09:30 AM

Just wanted to say thanks. Took some shows off the Replay and used your tools to remove the commericals. I still had to remove a second or so from one of the commercial breaks with Womble but all the others were trimmed perfectly. I then used DVD Lab to author the disc and it accepted the demuxed streams without any errors.

The final burned disc plays great on my DVD player and there is no audio sync issues.
Thanks for taking time to do this.
post #60 of 389 Old 10-24-2003, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by reccitron
jbarr,
I've been making DVD's according to your "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide. Great work. It helped a lot and I've burned about 30 dvd's that way. Over the weekend I had a problem with audio sync in 1 file using womble. Pretty good success rate (1 of 90). I found this thread over the weekend when I was trying to fix the audio problem. I tried the RTVedit and RTVConvert on 3 shows and it worked great. I then imported them into DMF2, set up the menu's and burned them. DMF2 didn't re-render them. I'm going to continue to test out this method and hopefully DMF2 will continue to not re-render.
Are you always successful using this method? I've tried twice using the RTVedit and RTVConvert method and both times DMF2 required re-rendering. The good news is that the finished product seems to have no audio sync problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page