Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 389 Old 10-29-2003, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by emtoneill
I am using a WinTV-PVR-250 to capture cable broadcasts (HRC) for viewing on my RTV5040. The capture goes fine using Win2000 with these settings (and localplay "off"):
I run the clip through rtvedit (no edits) and then rtvconvert, both of which complete successfully.
You shouldn't run non-rtv files through rtvedit. It makes a lot of assumptions about the source stream that aren't applicable to non-rtv streams. I'm not even sure how you got it to work since it needs an ndx file and the ndx builder assumes a 5k stream.

For conforming non-rtv streams. just run them through rtvconvert directly. If you still get a sync issue, try the rtvconvert from rev3. There was a minor change in rev4 that may be affecting you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by agent-x
Type "rtvconvert" by itself. Does it show:
rtvconvert [-d] <source.mpg> <dest.mpg>

If it doesn't show the [-d], you've got an old version in your path.
Thanks Lee and Agent-X for the suggestions. I don't think I have an older version of rtvconvert because version 4 was the first version I've downloaded (new DVR owner).

The suggestion Lee made, checking to see which version of Dos is loading is a possible solution. I'm on the road and won't be able to check and try it again until Friday night. I'll post my results. I hope you'll check on me - I appreciate the "hand holding" as I try to get it working.

I note on another thread Agent-X mentioned going back to a version 3 for audio sync problems. I may try that too. Since I couldn't get a de-mux'd output from version 4, I used another program (bbmux) to de-mux the output file, and then used ifoedit to author, and nero to burn a dvd. I ended up with a fraction of a second sync offset. Just enough to be bothersome. I'm not sure how you determine how much offset to compensate.

Jake
post #93 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 05:44 AM

Quote:
For conforming non-rtv streams. just run them through rtvconvert directly. If you still get a sync issue, try the rtvconvert from rev3. There was a minor change in rev4 that may be affecting you.
Agent-x, thanks.

The recommendations did significantly reduce the level of sync offset.
post #94 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 12:11 PM

On one of the earlier rtvtools threads, I commented that I suffered from a problem previously posted by another.

Since I haven't seen others mention they have the problem, I have to assume it's something here. In short, I am able to build an edit script and use it to build a new mpg with rtvedit and then stream it back to my RTV with DVArchive (v2.1). The mpeg plays fine and the commercials are pretty much gone. But then the trouble starts. If I try and stream anything else (or the same edited mpeg), my Replay 5120 (upgraded from a 5040) reboots.

Is anyone else seeing this or do any of you have an idea of what I might try to fix it? This problem is turning out to be pretty much a show stopper (yeah, pitiful pun intended).

BTW, same problem with all versions of RTV Tools up to and including v4.

Oh, and if I try and convert a "normal" mpeg to RTV, I get the same results. It works, but then throws my RTV into a reboot on my next attempt to stream anything.
post #95 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by American Freak
A GUI would be nice for this tool kit....I think it would help alot of people.
I am hoping to have the initial version of my Windows front-end ready this weekend. I have the screen for RTVDump done, and I just have to do the RTVEdit and RTVConvert screens.

I am initially planning on the front end being VERY simple for the initial versions. Aside from wrapping all the command-line switches, I have an edit box so you can edit the text file inside the app (no searching or anything fancy yet).

Later, if I have time, I was planning to add the ability to use a slider control to mark the in/out points.

I'll keep everyone posted.
post #96 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 12:21 PM

Leepz,

I tried your batch file and it seems to work great. Totally takes away the need of figuring out the dos commands. This batch file should be included with RTVTools itself.
post #97 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phule
I am hoping to have the initial version of my Windows front-end ready this weekend. I have the screen for RTVDump done, and I just have to do the RTVEdit and RTVConvert screens.

I am initially planning on the front end being VERY simple for the initial versions. Aside from wrapping all the command-line switches, I have an edit box so you can edit the text file inside the app (no searching or anything fancy yet).

Later, if I have time, I was planning to add the ability to use a slider control to mark the in/out points.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I know you had posted in the MAC section that you were working on a Windows version......I'm sure you'll get alot of new attention here.....:D

PM if you need someone to test it.....
post #98 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 12:38 PM
kog

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Mason
Since I haven't seen others mention they have the problem, I have to assume it's something here. In short, I am able to build an edit script and use it to build a new mpg with rtvedit and then stream it back to my RTV with DVArchive (v2.1). The mpeg plays fine and the commercials are pretty much gone. But then the trouble starts. If I try and stream anything else (or the same edited mpeg), my Replay 5120 (upgraded from a 5040) reboots.
[/b]
This is a known issue with DVArchive running on a Windows box. If you try and stream 2 shows consecutively from DVArchive your ReplayTV will reboot. If you stream one show, then tune to a different channel, and then try streaming the second show it shouldn't reboot. This is not an issue if you're running DVArchive on Mac OS X.

-KoG
post #99 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by American Freak
I know you had posted in the MAC section that you were working on a Windows version......I'm sure you'll get alot of new attention here.....:D

PM if you need someone to test it.....
Oh, I'll take all the help I can get! :D
post #100 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 02:30 PM

Thanks for working on it, Phule!!

5200: 00004-54831-88075
post #101 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jakebrake
I don't think I have an older version of rtvconvert because version 4 was the first version I've downloaded (new DVR owner).

I note on another thread Agent-X mentioned going back to a version 3 for audio sync problems.
I just wanted to rule out an "unknown" from this issue because it sounds to me like you are using an older version. From both the -d not working and your audio sync. The rev3 suggestion I made to someone else is only for non-rtv streams. If you use rev3 with an rtv stream, you will have a sync problem.

Now, I do know that the thread for rev3 was recently bumped and it's possible that someone downloaded that version thinking it was new as the threads do look very much alike. It's just a simple test to see if you really do have rev4.

Anyway, I have tried both command.com and cmd.exe under Win2K with rev4 and I don't have this problem.
post #102 of 389 Old 10-30-2003, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by emtoneill
The recommendations did significantly reduce the level of sync offset.
Did you have to go back to rev3? If you did, let me know so I can fix it in the next rev - I just didn't think it would ever happen. :)
post #103 of 389 Old 10-31-2003, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Did you have to go back to rev3? If you did, let me know so I can fix it in the next rev - I just didn't think it would ever happen. :)
No, I didn't. Relative to the a/v sync issue, there doesn't appear to be a significant difference between rev3 and rev4.

My problem was in starting with rev2, running into problems, reading through this thread, switching to rev4 AND following the advice to run streams through rtvedit (even without edits) first - without noting that that only pertained to rtv downloaded streams.
post #104 of 389 Old 10-31-2003, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How cool would it be if DVArchive 3.0 provides an option to rtvedit and/or rtvconvert any files that are downloaded from your Replay?
post #105 of 389 Old 10-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How cool would it be if DVArchive 3.0 provides an option to rtvedit and/or rtvconvert any files that are downloaded from your Replay?
That would be pretty cool, but I think Gerry already ruled out providing any editing capabilities in DVA. Though, he did mention providing a method to create plug-ins, so others could add this functionality in. Now, if only we could get the front-end GUI (with ability to see and edit break points visually) for RTVTools, along with the tools, as a plug in... that would be great. I don't ask for too much:D
post #106 of 389 Old 10-31-2003, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Forgive me if this has already been discussed in this rather huge thread.

after I used the evtdump/rtvedit/rtvconver batch script to make a show shorter and try to import it back into DVArchive, DVA prompts me to put in the show name, description, and time. I put in 25 min as the time. It works, but am I missing something? Is there a way to do it so the file retains the show title/description and updates the time (new length of show)?

cow
post #107 of 389 Old 10-31-2003, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Got home, checked, and sure enough I had an old version of rtvconvert (August date). Don't know how I managed to do that.

Thanks for the help.

Jake
post #108 of 389 Old 11-01-2003, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
Forgive me if this has already been discussed in this rather huge thread.

after I used the evtdump/rtvedit/rtvconver batch script to make a show shorter and try to import it back into DVArchive, DVA prompts me to put in the show name, description, and time. I put in 25 min as the time. It works, but am I missing something? Is there a way to do it so the file retains the show title/description and updates the time (new length of show)?

cow
bump

nudge

nudge LeeThompson
post #109 of 389 Old 11-01-2003, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

oh I didn't know you were nudging me.. heh I have no idea heh
post #110 of 389 Old 11-01-2003, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow after I used the evtdump/rtvedit/rtvconver batch script to make a show shorter and try to import it back into DVArchive, DVA prompts me to put in the show name, description, and time. I put in 25 min as the time. It works, but am I missing something? Is there a way to do it so the file retains the show title/description and updates the time (new length of show)?
Short answer: You'll want to export the show info (XML file) from DVA, and then edit it to match the post-rtvedit length.

Without the XML show info file, DVA will prompt you for some of the info. Having to enter this manually is a pain, so I always export the XML file for any show I'm editing.

My process:
  • Move evt/ndx/mpg files to same DVA 'Local_Guide' directory
  • Use rtvedit/rtvconvert to create a new, shortened RTV-compliant set of files.
  • Export show info XML to same directory as rtvtool'd fileset
  • Rename XML file to match rtvtool'd filenames
  • Edit XML file to reflect new length (and maybe tweak the episode name to indicate the modification).
  • Import rtvtool'd show into DVA. (And DVA won't prompt for info, since the XML file contains all the info.)
Of course, if the file wasn't originally downloaded from a ReplayTV, you *will* have to manually enter all the info.
post #111 of 389 Old 11-01-2003, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

good answer
well written
thank you

cow
post #112 of 389 Old 11-02-2003, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Leepz
I I use the following batch file to help in the processing. ..... I am using Windows XP Home. Hope you find this helpful.

@echo off
Rem This process assumes that RTVTools are in the same directory as
Rem your movies. Change the two lines indicated ** below as needed.

color 73

Echo REPLAY to DVD Conversion
Echo _________________________

rem Change Directory to RTVTools and Replay MPG location...
rem ** edit the following line to the directory of your replay mpgs
CD c:\
eplay movies\\Local_guide

rem Grab input file and trim off extension so drag and drop will work...
set temp=%1
set filename=%temp:~0,-5%

rem process event file...
evtdump %filename%.evt" > evt.txt
echo Event file has been processed

rem check to see if manual edit desired
set yes=y
Set /P answer="Would you like to edit using Virtual Dub? [Y/N]"
If /I %answer% EQU %yes% goto edit
goto noedit

Rem Manual edit using VirtualDub
:edit
echo VirtualDub will be loaded. Note edit times
pause
rem **edit the following line to the directory for VirtualDub
call C:\\VirtualDub\\VeedubP4.exe %filename%.mpg
echo The evt.txt file will be loaded for you to manually edit
pause
evt.txt
rtvedit -t1 evt.txt
goto convert

Rem No Manual edit
:noedit
echo File will be auto edited
pause
rtvedit evt.txt

rem Convert file.....
:convert
rtvconvert %filename%1.mpg" %filename%.dvd.mpg"

rem delete temporary files...
del %filename%1.evt"
del %filename%1.ndx"
del %filename%1.mpg"
del evt.txt

rem delete next 2 lines to stream converted file back to a ReplayTV
del %filename%.dvd.evt"
del %filename%.dvd.ndx"

echo File processing Complete
pause
Questions about changing bat file...
[been too many years since I wrote a dos bat file]

What would I need to change to have the following happen...
[A] a 'notepad' readable file of the edit points/times?
[b] have the "temp" files written to and then read from another drive?
in my case from drive "F:\\" to "C:\\" and then from "C:\\" back to "F:\\"

On my system I had to add a "SET PATH =" command to the batch file.

Thanks-
David
post #113 of 389 Old 11-03-2003, 09:55 AM

bump

Phule - any word on the GUI for Win?

post #114 of 389 Old 11-03-2003, 12:13 PM

Shawnharper have you checked out KSB's rtvplayer(http://inside.drexel.edu/ksb/rtvPlayer )? I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like the latest version (0.91?) includes features that work with rtvedit and may be at least a partial GUI you're looking for.

I just burned my first DVD yesterday, using these tools and the free Sonic MyDVD that came with my recorder. It was a standard quality recording from the ReplayTV and I was very impressed with the DVD. Nice picture and no audio psynch problem. The output from rtvconvert was accepted by Sonic MyDVD without reencoding so the whole process took maybe 10 minutes since the 1/2 hour standard recording only took a few minutes to actually burn. Thanks to all for the great software. It's so easy to use, I'm not sure why you would need the GUI anyway.
post #115 of 389 Old 11-03-2003, 12:18 PM

Thanks antibody128. I've been keeping up with the rtvplayer thread, and now that it supports 5ks, I'll check it out.

I'd tried the rtvtools in the past, but I'm not much of a DOS guy, so all the command-line stuff scared me away after I tried it without success.

Looks like the rtvplayer will help, so I'll dive back into the pool.

-Shawn

post #116 of 389 Old 11-03-2003, 02:10 PM

First off, thanks for all the work you've put into these tools Lee! I've been able to successfully archive several of my RTV5 files to DVD-R using your toolset! :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Thompson
* Convert MPEG-2 streams and stream to a RTV5K with DVArchive
Perhaps I'll get b**ch-slapped for asking a pretty newb question, but I've done several hours of searching AVSForums.com, DVDRHelp.com and several other Googled sites without having had much luck finding an answer to my dilemma. I've probably run across the answers, but don't know enough to correlate them and/or put them together in the proper order. I would like to transfer some of my TV shows on DVD (Friends, 24, etc.) to an .MPG format that will work with DVArchive and my RTV5040. According to the quote above it appears as though RTVCONVERT will do this, but I've had no luck so far...

Here's what I've tried:
1. Used DVDCompress to copy & compress a DVD to my HDD.
2. Renamed the .VOB to .MPG, as directed in a forum on DVDRHelp.com.
2.a. This .MPG worked fine in WM9.
3. Attempted to run RTVCONVERT, but it puked with the following output:
C:\\24.Episodes1-4>rtvconvert VTS_04_1.mpg 24.Episode1.mpg
Source: VTS_04_1.mpg
Target: 24.Episode1.mpg
Video overrun, unknown or bad audio mux: len=3145734

I realize that I'm probably missing something around the .VOB to .MPG conversion, but I honestly don't know what and haven't found anything that explains it to me. :confused:

Anyway, here are my specific questions:
1. Just to verify...RTVCONVERT will transfer an MPEG-2 file to a RTV5 .MPG file that I can use with DVArchive?
2. Any idea how I can convert the DVD's .VOB files to a suitable format for conversion (i.e.: MPEG-2)?
3. Do I need to run DVDDecrypter before compressing the files in order to get a 'clean' .VOB file?

I know that I'm revealing my newbie-ness, but alas I'm at a standstill. :(

Thanks!

~dDS
(todnles at http://www.poopli.com)
post #117 of 389 Old 11-03-2003, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1. Yes
2. Yes and you're not doing it the right way. VOBs are *segments* of MPEG-2 (with Dolby Digital audio) so you'll need to merge them and convert the audio to MPEG audio. There's a few different ways to do this.
3. You'll need to run DVD Decryptor, Smart Ripper etc to initially get the VOB set. You generally can't just copy VOBs (they are encrypted).

With DVDs you're frankly just better off watching it on the DVD player - converting them for Replay use is possible but has a number of steps. In general: 1. Rip, 2. Merge, 3. Demux, 4. Transcode audio (generally just the english track), 5. Mux, 6. Convert.
post #118 of 389 Old 11-03-2003, 03:51 PM

Thanks Lee. I wondered if it was more work than it was really worth to convert the DVD to RTV compatibility.

1. Cool.
2. Ok, that's what I figured, but was experiencing a brainfart. :rolleyes: Btw, I did find a program called 'AVI2MPG2' and might give that a go for converting the .VOB files (after decrypting them).
3. Thx, I'll do this next time around.

Thanks again for your help!

~dDS
(todnles at http://www.poopli.com)
post #119 of 389 Old 11-03-2003, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I saw this error, too. The CMD.exe and spaces in the path are red herrings -- the real problem is user error. If you forget to supply a "dest.mpg", rtvconvert thinks the "-d" is the source name. Don't forget both src and dest filenames.

-BS
post #120 of 389 Old 11-03-2003, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtyDogStink
Thanks Lee. I wondered if it was more work than it was really worth to convert the DVD to RTV compatibility.
As Lee said, you're better off watching the DVD.

While you can do this conversion, it's usually not worth the effort and its success depends on the DVD encoding. Besides needing layer 2 audio, you may still have issues with the video. If it's interlaced video, you should have no problems. But if it's progressive - it needs to be entirely progessive within a progressive sequence. If it's mixed progressive and interlaced frames, the conversion won't work. But this really only affects DVDs from studios, which means it won't be fixed. :rolleyes:
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page