ReplayTV 5K Tools (Revision 4) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 389 Old 11-28-2003, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the files are really from a 5k they audio should already be at 48khz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 389 Old 11-28-2003, 11:23 AM

Yes they are all from my 5K and recorded at medium quality. As I mentioned before the .ndx files were re-generated when I run rtvedit, then it asks me to run rtvedit again, I do. Then I run rtvconvert and it gives me that error. I'll cut and paste the error when I get home to my computer. Im going to attempt the same thing with new mpegs from my 5k, which have the original .ndx files.

Turok
post #183 of 389 Old 11-28-2003, 05:59 PM

Slightly off-topic, but is there a utility anywhere that will identify the version of a particular ReplayTV MPG file? This summer I extracted about 160GB worth of old recordings from my old Showstopper and 3020 and in the course of reorganizing my media server they got mixed in with some 4k and 5k DVArchive recordings.

I've been trying to run RTVEdit on some misc. files I assumed were 4K files, but after I import them into DVArchive and try to stream them to my 5K, I get an error message saying "No video source - The selected show was not recorded. Verify that: etc. etc." The only thing I can think of is that they're really 3K files.

The thing I love most about deadlines is the wonderful WHOOSHing sound they make as they go past.
post #184 of 389 Old 11-29-2003, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm wondering if Agent X might have any interest adding a new option to rtv edit to help handshake with ReVue. ReVue can make new videos cutting out unwanted segments (usually commercials), but doesn't do clean cuts.. something about I-frames. Revue spits out it's own propriatory files that have the segment point information after a user adjusts them.

I'm kinda murky on this whole thing, but I'm guessing it would be child's play for Agent X to add a new option to rtvEdit that would optionally process the propriatory ReVue file instead of an .evt file.

I'm merely suggesting the idea. If the idea is impossible or greatly imposing then please happily disregard that I asked.

:)

cow
post #185 of 389 Old 11-29-2003, 05:34 PM

I have a question:

I have a new mpeg from my replay, do I need to run it through rtvedit -t1 or can I just edit the commercials out with womble and then run it through rtvconvert? And will the mpeg be ok for DVD authoring if I only run it through rtvconvert?

Turok
post #186 of 389 Old 11-29-2003, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I just can't remember and I can't find where it's written.

What if I want to use rtvtools to just make a replayTV show into a standard mpg for a computer?

If I use rtvconvert with -d off it converts a regular mpg to an mpg that a replay can play.
If I use rtvconvert with -d on it demuxes the show into two files.

Don't recall how to make a a reg PC .mpg file though.

I'm tring to get some shows into my pocket pc

cow
post #187 of 389 Old 12-01-2003, 06:21 PM

do not include the -d and it will produce a proper MPEG.

the -d is to de-mux

Kevin Cossaboon
kevin@cossaboon.net
post #188 of 389 Old 12-01-2003, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Turok
I have a question:

I have a new mpeg from my replay, do I need to run it through rtvedit -t1 or can I just edit the commercials out with womble and then run it through rtvconvert? And will the mpeg be ok for DVD authoring if I only run it through rtvconvert?
My experience: have to do RTVEdit then RTVConvert even if no editing done, or the audio sync issue appears. YMMV.:D BTW, this works perfectly and Womble editing doesn't mess it up. Note to Santa: take good care of Agent-x this year.
post #189 of 389 Old 12-02-2003, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PVRick
My experience: have to do RTVEdit then RTVConvert even if no editing done, or the audio sync issue appears. YMMV.:D BTW, this works perfectly and Womble editing doesn't mess it up. Note to Santa: take good care of Agent-x this year.
PVRick- So should I run all my original mpegs through RTVEdit then RTVConvert, then edit them in womble? Or can I edit them first then run them through RTVEdit then RTVConvert. See my problem is I run some of my originals through RTVEdit, then when I goto run it through RTVConvert it says the audio must be 48Khz. These are mpegs are recorded at medium record level on my replay 5K.

So that's why I'm wondering if it's ok to edit the mpegs first, then run them through both apps.

Turok
post #190 of 389 Old 12-02-2003, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's the information I was looking for. I read it long ago but couldn't remember or find it.

you just do a plain RTVedit <file.name>, then a flat RTVconvert <file.name>? ya?

no evtdump? ya?
no arguments after rtvedit or rtvconvert? ya?

cow
post #191 of 389 Old 12-03-2003, 09:22 AM

uh, if you're asking me:
I make a xyz.txt file that contains
Code:
FX:\\inputfile.mpg
TY:\\outputfile.mpg
E
(I use the T option to put it on a different physical drive from the input, makes it run much faster)

then I run
Code:
rtvedit xyz.txt
then I run
Code:
rtvconvert outputfile.mpg outputconverted.mpg
then if editing is needed I run MPEG2VCR on outputconverted.mpg and save to yet a third file

then burn the final result. When I tried using Womble on the output of RTVEDIT I had audio sync problems.

As my CA marking is not too reliable (for whatever reason), rather than check it and use it for RTVedit, I just use Womble to cut commercials. I like frame accurate edits on my DVDs and evtdump'd edit doesn't always hit exactly in my setup.

The comment on audio datarate is curious because I believe the 5000 RTVs always record audio at 48k sample rate, 192k MPEG bitrate. Maybe the file's corrupted somehow?

I eagerly await the final GUI somebody's doing for running these little RTVTOOL piggies. In the meantime I'm cobbling a little REXX exec to run this sequence. REXX is a great little language from IBM but its not free and hardly anyone knows and uses it (I have it as a side-effect of work).
post #192 of 389 Old 12-03-2003, 09:54 AM

I just bought the 5K in September, let me double check.. it might have been referring to my old Panasonic Showstopper replay mpegs.. the real old one.. Let me double check when I get home from work.

Thanks PVRick. I'll submit a post once I verify when I get home.

Turok
post #193 of 389 Old 12-03-2003, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
uh, if you're asking me:
I make a xyz.txt file that contains
Code:
FX:\\inputfile.mpg
TY:\\outputfile.mpg
E
What's the E at the end mean?

Also, this is your method of making a ReplayTV.mpg into a RegularComputer.mpg, is this correct?

cow
post #194 of 389 Old 12-03-2003, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
What's the E at the end mean?
Um.... "End"
post #195 of 389 Old 12-03-2003, 09:34 PM

RegularComputer.mpg, DVDburnable.mpg - once through this process, the nasties that RTV5K files cause in programs like MyDVD, DVDLab and DVDMF (slow scrolling, jumping timestamps, crashes, audio sync issues, refuse to burn) go away. They become as well-behaved as the ones I get from the Hauppauge PVR250 card. :)
post #196 of 389 Old 12-04-2003, 07:34 AM

PVRick,

There are 2 very functional GUI's for RTVtools.

evtEdit for windows

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=330242

ReVue

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&goto=lastpost

I just tried evtEdit for windows yesterday (I haven't tried reVue) and I was very impressed. I've been doing the command line/batch file thing until now, but I'm pretty sure I'm done with that.
post #197 of 389 Old 12-04-2003, 09:55 AM

cool ... will check them out :)
post #198 of 389 Old 12-08-2003, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Also, I've found that when I use '-d' that my authoring programs get confused with the time stamps. TMPGenc DVD Author for example uses time stamps from my original unedited program, but when burning to DVD the chaper points I set reflect the time stamps from the edited/shortened program. This makes it impossible to add chapter points.
PMCNeil's MpegTools have a function called fix-time which rewrites the timestamps sequentially. The thread is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=236117 This will solve your problem as long as your first segment begins at the beginning of the show. If you cut out any material in the beginning, you end up with perfectly sequential timestamps beginning not at zero, but at whatever the original timestamp for the first segment was.

Lee,

If you plan to try and work this correction into the next release, you might be able to build on the work Neil already did. All his proggie is lacking is the ability to force fix-time.exe to begin at zero.

Aaron

In absolutely no danger of hitting 1000 posts
post #199 of 389 Old 12-11-2003, 10:18 AM

I was using the tools for the first time and the filename assigned in DVArchive worked fine wih RTVedit. But when I tried to use the output filename, appended with a "1", in RTVConvert, it would not recognize the long filename. The filename was "fresh prince of bel-air - the client1.mpg"

I was able to rename the file to "prince1.mpg" and use that in the RTVConvert command line and it worked fine.

I tried both cmd line prompts in XP with the same result.

What I am missing?

Thanks
post #200 of 389 Old 12-11-2003, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by tim price
I was using the tools for the first time and the filename assigned in DVArchive worked fine wih RTVedit. But when I tried to use the output filename, appended with a "1", in RTVConvert, it would not recognize the long filename. The filename was "fresh prince of bel-air - the client1.mpg"

I was able to rename the file to "prince1.mpg" and use that in the RTVConvert command line and it worked fine.

I tried both cmd line prompts in XP with the same result.

What I am missing?

Thanks
The problem isn't the long filename, it's the space(s) in the name. RTVedit and RTVconvert use spaces as argument delimiters, so when there's a space in the filename, they think the next string after the space is a new argument.

Tim
post #201 of 389 Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

The usual fix is to enclose the whole string in quotes.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #202 of 389 Old 12-11-2003, 04:17 PM

Thanks Tim and BaysideBas......I didn't hink about the arguement in rtvconvert..and defining the filename as ASCII string worked like a champ.....moving from my 3K Replay to the 5060 is like living in a whole new world!!
post #203 of 389 Old 12-12-2003, 11:17 PM
lah

Anyone here successfully used rtvtools in linux to convert mpegs to DVD formatted mpegs? I can go so far as to rtvedit the mpeg file to create near commercial free mpegs, but when I try to use rtvconv to then convert these edited files to something that I could use to dvdauthor, I have no luck. rtvconv seems to hang there doing nothing. Or is it just that I'm impatient? How long should it take rtvconv to convert a half hour mpeg recorded in Standard Qual? I let it run for 15 minutes to 30 minutes and still get no outputted mpeg file. Am I doing something wrong? Would it be possible to download the source to rtvconv so that I could recompile? I apologize for all the questions, but everything else in linux works well for me but this. If I could get this to work, it would help me tremendously in automating my DVD authoring process. Thanks!
post #204 of 389 Old 12-13-2003, 04:52 AM

Suggestion w/ RTVEdit

Can the input file add and cut on specific frames instead of just times? We can get much more accurate cuttings that way.

Of course all the A times must start on a keyframe, but the D times (the times to cut off) don't necessarily have to cut on a keyframe correct?

That way the segments we want to keep always start on a keyframe, but doesn't have to end on one
post #205 of 389 Old 12-14-2003, 09:54 PM

OT Question:
How do you combine two mpg files together?

can I combine 2 ready to stream RTV mpg files or do I have to do it before the rtvconvert?
post #206 of 389 Old 12-14-2003, 10:07 PM
lah

Nevermind, I think I know what the problem is. I've been trying to setup a bash script to automate rtvconvert but have no luck doing so. The problem with rtvconvert is that if I try to pass the filename, which is a long filename with spaces in it due to DVArchive, with quotes around the filename, rtvconvert does not recognize it. Well, actually, let me rephrase that. If I type in the command myself at the command prompt, as so:

rtvconvert -d "Battlestar Galactica.mpg" "dvd/Battlestar Galactica"

It works fine. No problems. However if I have a script call the command like so:

rtvconvert -d "$i" "dvd/`basename $i .mpg`"

Where $i is the filename string, I get nothing. I even do a ps -x to show me the full command that the script runs and it looks like:

rtvconvert -d "Battlestar Galactica.mpg" "dvd/Battlestar Galactica"

It has the quotes and all and should work. I need to add that I have almost the exact same script for other commands (to serve other functions, obviously) other than rtvconvert and it works flawlessly. Could anyone shed light on how I could get things to work here? If you can confirm that you have the same problem please let me know.
post #207 of 389 Old 12-14-2003, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can specify spaces and other special characters using the '\\' command. So for spaces you would use \\b. Not sure if this helps, but you may have to parse the string and then use \\b to fill in the spaces.

Cheers

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #208 of 389 Old 12-15-2003, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
First thing I do before using rtvtools is rename the mpg & ndx files to something short without spaces. I too am using a script to automate the whole process (Perl) and didn't want to deal with backlashing/quoting to get around file name problems. It's easier just to rename the files to something short like f.mpg/f.ndx & process them with your script and then rename them back if you wish.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #209 of 389 Old 12-15-2003, 10:33 AM

these tools don't like a dash "-" in the filename even if the filename is quoted, or so it seems; whenever I have such a file I have to rename to remove the dash to make it work. Maybe the dash is being interpreted as an option indicator regardless of the quoting? :confused:
post #210 of 389 Old 12-15-2003, 11:20 AM

Quote:
these tools don't like a dash "-" in the filename even if the filename is quoted, or so it seems; whenever I have such a file I have to rename to remove the dash to make it work. Maybe the dash is being interpreted as an option indicator regardless of the quoting? :confused:
When I use reVue (that uses tools), I can have names with spaces and dashes and it works fine. you should ask ksb how he does it, because his program does the calling to the rtvtools.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page