evtEdit for Windows - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2004, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is there a way to use the edit programs to create segment blocks into seperate files? I have a 2.5 hours video that will not fit onto one dvd. So I am use to using the tools where I can create a set of files for each segment. In Revue you can check a box that will put each segment into a seperate file. Is that possible here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2004, 05:27 AM

I used evtedit under windows to strip out commercials of shows before burning to disk. I recently switched to Linux and am wondering if an equivalent program is available for linux? I know rtvtools runs under linux as well as windows...I also read that Linux has the "Mono project" which has the goal of adding .net to linux although I don't know how functional their version is yet.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:15 PM
STL
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by famewolf
I used evtedit under windows to strip out commercials of shows before burning to disk.
Can you please tell me how? I used it today and made all the commercials red and the show content green then hit the "Generate New MPEG with rtvEdit" button and thought it was removing commcercials, but watching the output file proved it did nothing. I think tried the "Run rtvConvert" button but got the same thing? Can anyone point me to some directions on how to use this cryptic program? I feel like I completely wasted several hours today.

From what I've gathered today, there is are not any free software (that really works) that allows one to strip out commcercials from RTV files and then clean the mpg (for DVD authoring). I've been fighting reVue and evtEdit much of the day to no avail, and I am really disgusted (as if anyone couldn't tell).
Old 12-16-2004, 06:22 PM
STL
Advanced Member

I just realized version 14 is far from the most current. I download the latest (24) and am trying it again, but with the the controls basically looking the same I don't have much faith in it removing commercials. I think I must me missing some step...
Old 12-16-2004, 06:31 PM
STL
Advanced Member

Like I suspected...it still only removes the leading commercial but leaves all the marked (red) commercials throughout the show.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by STL
...thought it was removing commercials, but watching the output file proved it did nothing.
My best guess is that you're not viewing the right output. I think the default is to backup the original show and output over itself. That doesn't made sense as to why it'd only remove the leading commercial. I don't see the error in your process. I don't know what step you could be missing. Actually, just selecting a show and hitting "Generate New Mpeg" button should work. The other steps are optional and just to make sure you're stripping only what you want, where you want.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:01 PM

I think if you give them a try again I think you'll find that both Revue and Evtedit for windows are actually excellent free programs for removing commercials and cleaning up for DVD. I use EVtedit all the time. My guess it that JenEric is right that you are looking at the wrong output file. The best way to prevent this is to create a completely new output file name in the boxes at the bottom. Also make sure the output directory set in the settings is the same place you are looking for the output file.

Failing these suggestions, You should reply here with more info like your Operating system and source of the original recording (eg VCR or TV).

That reminds me of another possibility. RTvtools rtvedit actually is sensitive to poor quality recordings. Evtedit for windows and Revue both use RTVtools as you know. I've had difficulties using rtvedit on files captured by my Replay from my VCR (and a poor quality tape at that too). If the recording has errors it will skip edit points and not play nice. Well, that's all I've got. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:44 PM

So no one knows of anything comparable for linux? Any chance evtedit will work with the linux mono .net implementation? I'll have to read up what all is needed to install mono and give it a try I suppose.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:18 PM
STL
Advanced Member

I changed the default setting so I was not overwriting the files, and I know I was looking at the _edit and _edit_cvt extensions and not the originals. I know I couldn't have been looking at the originals because the beginning commercials were indeed removed. I will say I was originally using version 14. After swithcing to the latest (version 24) I just called up the saved evtedit files and tried them again and the commercials still weren't removed. Then I tried remarking everything again from scratch with (with version 24) and it FINALLY worked!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:22 PM
STL
Advanced Member

I am using a brand new Dell 8400 with Windows XP Home, and the recording is from an over-the-air broadcast using my Replay 5040.

I will admit that evtEdit might be a useful tool (now that it is stripping commercials), but reVue is still useless to me because of the time-skew problem detailed in other threads. Even so, I don't seem to really be getting a "clean" mpeg because my Sonic software is locking up during the transcoding phase (and they claim it is because my source file isn't DVD compliant).
Old 01-23-2005, 03:55 PM

evtedit works great! 1 improvement would be to make it easier to select the segments. when working with a 3hr file, a 9 sec snippent is hard to select.

revue didnt work for me.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:38 PM

evtEdit is great. I found it much more convenient than several frame-accurate MPEG2 editors i tried for editing commercials out of ReplayTV shows.

One new feature that would make commercial editing easier would be +0.5sec / -0.5sec buttons for changing segment begin/end points. There is already an edit option to expand/trim show segments by 0.5sec, but it is difficult to work with for moving just one show segment boundary.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by blizzardo
evtedit works great! 1 improvement would be to make it easier to select the segments. when working with a 3hr file, a 9 sec snippent is hard to select.
Good deal. Someone else pointed this out which led to version 8. Shortcuts to cycle through the segments were added, so you don't have to click on each segment.

Quote:
Originally posted by hdshark
One new feature that would make commercial editing easier would be +0.5sec / -0.5sec buttons for changing segment begin/end points. There is already an edit option to expand/trim show segments by 0.5sec, but it is difficult to work with for moving just one show segment boundary.
The shift button is your friend. :) Hold down shift and watch your dream come true.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:05 AM

JenEric,

I love your program.

I think I have noticed a glich, and wanted to ask you about it.

Every so often an mpeg I wish to convert is not complete in the evtEdit menu. When I download the show from DVArchives, it is all there, but when I pull it up in evtEdit, only the first min or so shows up. Any thoughts???

Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 05:43 PM

ok 1 problem.

ran evtedit
no commercials so no new mpeg with rtvedit
renamed the file to _edited
ran rtvConvert
tmpeg dvd author doesn recognize it as mpeg2. :( why? what went wrong?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:04 PM

Thank you for this tool. I must say that it makes this task much easier and works great!

If you think you can get around to it in the next release, could you make the colors that indicate the choice between the excluded and included video segments user selectable, or one of the two colors a different color. I'm color blind (red/brown/green are my issue) as is 2 of my friends that use this stuff, and we can't tell the difference between the 2 colors unless we're lucky. :o I just figured out they were different colors after I read the instructions after not being able to figure out why some segments were being included in my edited files, seemed random. Turns out if you click on the segments they turn colors and are included, ha.

Thanks again, great work.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks David!

Here you go. The colors are now user selectable on the "indicator" tab of the "preferences" screen. Good luck!

evtEdit_26a.zip 94.4638671875k . file
Old 12-12-2005, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardo

revue didnt work for me.
You can contact him here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=595680
Old 12-12-2005, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you can think of any suggestions for rtvtools the author can be reached here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=595680