Archos 320? iPod?->MP3&Watching ReplayTV shows on a $150 ipaq..and its always with me - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 12-01-2003, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$150 is a little 'wrong' because I coughed up and bought a $150 512MB SD card. I think this guy's(my ipaq) nickname might be 150/150.

I took a Larry Sanders show into Womble and encoded it down to a 320 x 240. There's some certain settings needed to know to do this. The half hour show turned out to be 53 megabytes including commercials. I'm not going to slave all day to take the commercials out of shows(they can be skipped fluidly with a stylus stroke). If I have to start a few conversions and I'm beat.

I don't think I'll need more than 150 megs of the 512 card for junk so that leaves bout 350MB MINUS 50MB(the ram needs to breath)= 300 megs for mp3's and ReplayTV shows. Thats about 3 hours of TV shows or 60 MP3s (or a combination).

I didn't have any audio sync problems. All I did was load up the file and put in the settings and hit convert. No sync problems; hope they don't start showing up. This is too easy so far.

The way I got the settings..
I got a 153 megabyte 90 min 'Pocket PC' movie of Aladin with a file share program to see if my little ipaq 1935's 200 mhz samsung processor was capable of showing something that was full length. The picture was stunning and I found myself watching about 40 min worth of Aladin in a donut shop even though the movie was in French.

I loaded the Aladin 153MB .mpg file into womble and saw what settings it used and used them when I converted the Larry Sanders show. The Aladin picture quality is surpurb, but the converted Larry Sanders show wasn't quite as good, but fine. It was a bit blocky. Not the hard blockiness, the soft type. I used the ipaq to look at the properties of the Aladin and then the Larry Sanders. The only difference was that the Aladin showed was vbr at 214 kbts per second, and the Larry Sanders was 150 kbts per second and no mention of it being vbr. When I was in Womble I had vbr set for the Larry Sanders show. Not sure how to change this. All I know is it seems to be completely usable now, and that there is room for improvement.

This ipaq 1935 is amazing. Not based on overwhelming power, but because it is always with me and does mp3 well, and now video too... replaytv shows to boot. The ipaq has a 2.5 audio out jack instead of the standard 3.5 audio jack used with standard headphones. It does come with an adaptor cable. At first I saw that as a major drawback but now I see it as a blessing. Here in california we are required to wear a headset if talking on a cellphone in a car after Jan 1, 2004. So I'll be around a headset much of the time; I'll be around the ipaq much of the time. So I'm set to watch TV or listen to MP3s during all those wait times that californians have.. waiting in line at costco, ect. The one ear thing(headset) is not bad either, because it lets me transact with people around me.

I have an archos 20 gig MP3 player, but haven't used it much because hauling around a cell phone AND a headset AND a PDA AND a set of Keys AND a Wallet AND Headphones just gets to be too much keeping track of things. Now I'm down to a cellphone, headset and PDA..keys, wallet.

Hey, I just want to watch my ReplayTV shows on my PDA. Is that too much to ask for? Nope!

cow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cow,

Are you really able to get a ReplayTV program onto a pocket pc? I have the Dell Axim 5. I love it. I would like to put a 30 minute show or what ever on it. Do I NEED Womble to convert it or are there other programs (free? I'm cheap) that can do the job? I.d Really like to know.

Norbert in Elk Grove
Host - Totally Cool Tech Podcast
http://www.totallycooltech.com
post #3 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes you can. It's a great thing. I'm glad you asked because I wanted to bump the thread to the top again but felt like that would sorta be shoving the topic down peoples' throats. I mean, how many people both have a ReplayTV AND a PDA?

Womble works great on my tests. I would like to find a command line mpg conversion program so I can make a batch script to do whole directories at a time.

I'd like to get my harddrives organized (still living at my g/f's even though she made me get my own apartment 5 months ago..been there about 20 times(too much info I know, but it really gets me).

When I do get them organized, I can move tons of shows off the replay at one time, then just run a big batch script on them all. I'm not the type that buys a 32 meg mp3 player and spends time loading up 5 mp3s at a time.

There's some unnoticed beauty here. A half hour show at 320x240 looks pretty darn good and only takes up about 53 megs of space. That means I can just batch convert 100 shows and it would only take up 5.3 gigs.

100 shows takes up only 5.3 gigs

I don't care if shows are old when I'm stranded waiting. In california, I have appointments I have to meet so I leave 1:15 hours early, to get someplace 0:35 min away. Sometimes I get there in the nick of time and sometimes I'm there 30 early. that 30 min is a serious drag. Many, many people in california try to cut travel time to the edge and it gets them in trouble, makes them look bad; people always stumbling in late looking like fools. I find that showing up early is like getting paid for it. There's an art of getting places early and knowing what to do with the time no matter where one lives-- not one i've mastered, the time drives me nuts.

I can fit about 6 half hour shows on my 512 card and still have abundant room for everything else.

If you get a card reader for your computer you can load up a SD really quickly from your '100 show partition'.

Sometimes my ReplayTV gets full of stuff I never got around to watching, but want to watch, and I want the space back on the replay. Converting them down to 53 megs each and putting them on my pda is a great solution.

I think the trick is coughing up for another 160 harddrive to make it all work. People think of harddrives as storage space, but graphic artists, video people, ect should think of them as 'dedicated processing space' too. a 53 meg video doesn't take much room, but a 100 replay shows is going to be 100 to 200 gigs. If you fill the 100 to 200 gigs of space with storage then you can't process 53 meg shows can you? So instead of doing 5 shows at a time and beating yourself up, ask yourself, "is it worth $80 and filling out a rebate to watch TV on my PDA?" I'd go with yes. ..you can use the 'temp' space for tons of things as long as you know what 'temp' really means.

Back to your question, there's a free beta program called 'rejig' out there (search this forum for rejig for info), but I can't figure it out. It keeps spitting out huge files no matter how small I put the %. I just don't get it.

There's also mpg to avi programs out there. I had a problem runing divx files on my PDA player. There are other players out there, and tons of mpg to divx programs out there. Plenty of posibilites. For now, I'm just going to convert a ton of shows to 53 meg MPGs. Time will go on and I'll discover players that do divx, and better ways to do things, but I'm not in a hurry, and I don't mind waiting time for hardcore enthusists to come and fill everyone in.

btw, I was at ************** last night and saw you can buy a 512MB SD card for $99 after rebate if interested(at Sears online of all places). That's a really hot deal. I thought i was swift getting the low price of $155 with a -10 coupon. It would be too much of a bpain in the butt to return it and get this one. bye bye $50 bill.

cow
post #4 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Well, right now it would be nice to experiment with my 128 MB card (CF), but I have both the SD slot and the CF slot. Makes for nice possibilities. I want to get the 1gig Micro Drive. That would be cool... would run down the batteries quickly, but cool none the less.

I will look for the program you mentioned. Does it resize the video too? Could you send me a "test clip"? Does it play on the Media Player on Pocket PC 2002?

Norbert in Elk Grove
post #5 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

TMPGenc should do the batch convert for you.
post #6 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I could send you a test clip.

You have your choice, you can get the nice aladin in french movie (137 megs). maybe I'll crop it for you.

Or you can have a unoptimised (but just fine) 30 min show of larry sanders show at 53 megs.

and tell me how to send it. I have a free yahoo email account without much space but if I can still send big files then that might be a good way.

More on rejig: good point, I'm not even sure if resizing is an option. I've been so befuddled trying to make it work at all. Maybe it an only make a file so small and doesnt resize and that's why the files are still so big. I feel like I have to enter the land of confusion before I read up on it.

cow
post #7 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Send the Larry Sanders show to my email, norbert_95624@email.com.
Does it need any special player or just Windows Media for pocket PC 2002? I have player 8.5.

Norbert in Elk Grove
post #8 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good question.

I don't really know my head from my butt in the pocketPC world yet. I was at Borders Bookstore and saw a magazine called 'PocketPC'. By shear chance the issue (Dec/Jan) was a great issue. It has 'Software winners of 2003'. A big section of the issue is dedicated to what the best software is in every catagory, or sub catagory of games. It also lists the titles of the Finalists that lost. Each winner has a screenshot of the software. I highly recommend picking it up. for $6.

MS Media player doesn't seem to play much, donno yet. It didn't play the .mpg I made. I just downloaded the winner of the the Multimedia Player catagory(pocket divx player). It is open source and is supposed to play just about everything.. It didn't seem to want to play my .mpg, but everything else listed in the magazine that I got worked fine.

So I just downloaded one of the two finalists that didnt win after that: PocketPC. I've been using PocketTV so far. So thats the one you should probably use. I think it's .mpg only, and I think it continues to be free past the trial period, they just insist that you register.
They are at pocketpc.com. I tried to go there right now but couldn't connect. Google will probably do the trick if pocketpc's site is really down.

Im trying to send the larry sanders show right now.. I'm attaching the file and it appears to be uploading the file before I can sent it.

I used a space in your email address. hope that's right: nobert 95624@email.com

What didn't I discuss? oh well, I'll get it next post

EDIT: My yahoo email just yelled at me saying the file I was trying to upload was bigger than 3 megabytes. I don't do alot of transfer. I might be called away soon, or distracted not sure. Tell me a way to send it and I'll focus on getting it to you tonight.

cow
post #9 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 02:53 PM

Go here
post #10 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 02:57 PM

Go to aximsite dot com. Click on forums, then MultiMedia. Everything you'll need to know is there!

Randy T
post #11 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #12 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Cow,
No space, it's an underscore between norbert and 95624. You should be able to just click the link and it will fire right up.

Randy, cow,

Thanks for the info.

Norbert in Elk Grove
post #13 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Check your email for a 1 meg sample I made from a short clip sent to me. Use PocketTV to watch it. If it doesn't work, let me know, I set the settings from memory.

cow

used norbert_95624@email.com with underscore
post #14 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Cool. I'm home now on the laptop so I have to go to the desktop (1 of 3) to download program and clip. Give me a while as I have to actually interact with my family. Wives and children, man now if that isn't a combination for a serious case of "computerinterruptus".

I will probably get back to you tomorrow.

Norbert in Elk Grove
post #15 of 29 Old 12-02-2003, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've already found a better way to do it I think

get MVPlayer here
http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/downloads.html#VP3

it reads .avi. the .avi look better then mpg(because my mpg settings aren't perfect)
I just made a little AVI from a ReplayTV video clip with the trial version of Dr. Divx and played it with MVPlayer listed above. The quality is better, like the Aladin .mpg I spoke of.

or get both programs and play around, whatever.

cow
I
post #16 of 29 Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Pockey TV and the test clip work. The other program willnot work for me as I have an XScale processor not an ARM porcessor.

Thanks.

Norbert in Elk Grove
post #17 of 29 Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
TMPGenc should do the batch convert for you.
Slack: I tried loading a RTV50xx mpg into TMPGenc 2.5 trial, but it wouldn't load. Do I have to prep it first with rtvedit/rtvconvert first? or what

Nobert: MVP Player is the one that most Pocket PCers rave about. They have different versions of it, not just ARM. There's some issues with the 2003 version of the Pocket PC OS, but you have 2002 so you are probably set. I made a short avi from a replay show and watched it with MVP Player(when it doesn't crash) and it looked much better then the settings I know for making mpgs. I have something to figure out since MVP has issues with 2003, but you should be all set making .avi's and using mvp player. There's a thousand ways to skin a cat. no offense heathriel
post #18 of 29 Old 12-03-2003, 10:16 AM
KMB

Liked: 11
You can also encode ReplayTV files to Windows Media. This works great if you have PPC 2003. You can find PocketPC profiles at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...et/create.aspx and http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...eptember15.asp

The Windows Media files I created looked much better than DrDivX encodes.

Now, if we could only get 20GB drives for Pocket PC's.
post #19 of 29 Old 12-03-2003, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KMB
You can also encode ReplayTV files to Windows Media. This works great if you have PPC 2003. You can find PocketPC profiles at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...et/create.aspx and http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...eptember15.asp

The Windows Media files I created looked much better than DrDivX encodes.

Now, if we could only get 20GB drives for Pocket PC's.
I can't get the ReplayTV MPGs to load up with that thing, even if I run rtvedit and rtvconvert on them first. Otherwise that would have been great. I used the MS encoder to do a regular MPG and it worked fine. You're right, It looks either as good or better than an AVI file made with Dr.Divx.

With some rtvedit/rtvconvert tweeking it might work though. There's alot of confusion with the rtvTools, and I could be the posterboy for rtvTools Confusion.

Three ways to skin a cat and three problems.

at least the .mpg version looks 'pretty good' and works. The divx version looks great and all I have to do is find a Pocket PC divx player. The MS encoder looks to be the smartest of all, cept it doesn't like ReplayTV MPGS and looks like it might not do batch conversions.

cow
post #20 of 29 Old 12-03-2003, 08:39 PM

ive been doing this with my tungsten and kinoma player.
been meaning to get a good workflow but ive watched a few 30 minute episodes.
post #21 of 29 Old 12-03-2003, 08:55 PM
KMB

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
I can't get the ReplayTV MPGs to load up with that thing, even if I run rtvedit and rtvconvert on them first. Otherwise that would have been great. I used the MS encoder to do a regular MPG and it worked fine. You're right, It looks either as good or better than an AVI file made with Dr.Divx.

cow
You should be able to encode with Windows Media as long as you have the correct codec loaded. You do not need to use rtvedit or rtvconvert. I am using the Ligos MPEG decoder and it works great.

Batch conversion and scripting is possible with the Encoder 9 SDK. More info and download at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...xtensible.aspx

I really cannot believe none of the PPC vendors have added mass storage (of course, it may not be part of Microsoft's spec). Can you imagine the possibilities for having a A/V jukebox based on the PPC platform? Since Dell and HP are now making these for $199, I would be glad to pay an extra $200 - $300 for good storage. I know you can get a CF based microdrive, but they are topping at 1 - 2GB.
post #22 of 29 Old 12-04-2003, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

KMB,
No matter what I do I get this error message when I start the conversion. This happens when I use a ReplayTV .mpg or a ReplayTV .mpg that has been rtvedited/rtvconverted.

Have you personally loaded up a ReplayTV(5xxx version) .mpg and brought it down to PocketPC 320x240?

Here's a screenshot of the error I get:

cow
LL
post #23 of 29 Old 12-04-2003, 07:49 AM
KMB

Icecow,
That is a codec (decoder) error. I have seen this when trying to encode with either the elecard (sp?) decoder or WinDVD.

Try using gspot http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to determine which codec is being used. GSpot does not directly support MPEG2, but if you render the file, it should tell you which codec is being used.

Also:
Which version of Windows Media Encoder are you using?
Are you able to view the ReplayTV files with Windows Media Player?
post #24 of 29 Old 12-04-2003, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

KMB,
I downloaded Gspot, loaded up a RTV.mpg, and pushed render. It's using the Intervideo(winDVD) codec. But I thought that was a good thing until you said it wasn't.

I'm using version 9.00.00.3075 Windows Media Player on my laptop and it will play RTV.mpgs. I don't know what encoder it is using or how to tell.

I don't know how to change the codec selection in either WMP or Windows Media Encoder.

here's a list of all the codecs on my machine

codecs.txt 22.5166015625k . file
post #25 of 29 Old 12-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Icecow,

Check this post out and the ones following. You might find it VERY interesting.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...14#post3007814

Norbert in Elk Grove
post #26 of 29 Old 12-04-2003, 03:13 PM
KMB

I have not tried encoding to PPC with MovieMaker, but I would imagine that Icecow would have the same problem.

You can download a free trial of the Ligos codec at http://www.ligos.com/estore.htm. As I mentioned earlier, Ligos works great for me.

I have no idea how to change the default codec the Encoder or WMP would use for MPEG2. I read through a lot of the docs on the windowsmedia site but did not see anything useful.
post #27 of 29 Old 12-04-2003, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for taking the time to read the unuseful docs.

Reading pages of unuseful information is becoming a philosophy for me. It brings on memory problems too. After I read pages of useless information I can't remember what I knew before I started.

I got the Ligos encoder installed, but don't know how to make the switch.

cow
post #28 of 29 Old 12-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Don't you need an Apple to make the switch? Sorry, that might be another thread...

Norbert in Elk Grove
post #29 of 29 Old 12-06-2003, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A new 2003 version of MVPplayer for PocketPCs--by coincidence--has just been released. It may or may not be out for 2002 versions as well. The 2003 one I got is Not for 2002 it said. There were some issues with PPC 2003 and MVPlayer, that I presume have been fixed and they gave the the program a nice new facelift. A 2002 version with a new facelift might be availible.

This is an important program for those who favor converting replayTV shows to Divx instead of .wmv.

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/top...?TOPIC_ID=4098

I realize there is currently limited interest putting RTV shows in PPC's but its what I'm doing now. I might as well log it. I dont mind writing and someone might want to dig up so info. There are a few of us really jazzed about it.

cow
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page