How is MyReplayTV supposed to work? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-26-2000, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is MyReplayTV supposed to work?
Will the webpage "call" my house?
Will the replay box "answer"?
What if someone is on the line?

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2000, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The box fetches web requests during it's nightly call, between 2 and 6 am. It can't do same-day requests and it's help suggests it won't even accept them. It's not a real-time system.

post #3 of 9 Old 11-26-2000, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

I see. That makes sense considering what would be involved with making it realtime. However, I don't travel much so it seems MyReplayTV isn't going to be used much by me. I can see a situation where I want to record something that same night but won't be home in time. MyReplayTV can't help me here. Too bad. A bit disappointed.

Rick
post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2000, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it is about setting remote records or accessing your system when you can't be home.

It seems to me that it is more about being able to setup records and theme based shows without having to use sit in front of the TV using the remote as a keyboard. You could setup theme based shows using the computer keyboard, which would be must faster. Also, I get the impression that the search engine will be faster and more powerful than the unit version. Also more complex tasks can be done on the web than on the Replay, so it seems like it would be the perfect place to put a "to-do-list" program, though I have no idea or advanced knowledge about it, but I doubt the first version will have anything totally cool like that.

If someone is watching TV and you want to setup/change a theme channel, then you could use the computer instead of waiting or disrupting anyone.

In these cases, real time doesn't seem to be that important. It would be nice if you could tell Replay to connect at a specific time to see if you have any updates, but I don't think it is a requirement to make the system work.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2000, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serra:
I don't think it is about setting remote records or accessing your system when you can't be home.
Actually it's marketed just that way. Myreplaytvs splash page says you can "find shows and record them from anywhere in the world" and refers to itself as a "remote, remote control". The press release says:

Whether at the office or the airport, they can log onto the web site, view their personal ReplayTV channel guide to find shows and set-up recording options just as easily as if they were at home on the couch.

It doesn't say you can do same-day recordings from the office but that's the first and most obvious thing most people will think of when they read that, and nothing I've seen about myreplaytv bothers to correct it.

Quote:
Also, I get the impression that the search engine will be faster and more powerful than the unit version.
I think you get that impression from speculation by others. I haven't seen any official word that says that, and the help only describes the same functions the Replay box itself has.

Quote:
Also more complex tasks can be done on the web than on the Replay, so it seems like it would be the perfect place to put a "to-do-list" program, though I have no idea or advanced knowledge about it, but I doubt the first version will have anything totally cool like that.
Replays lack of a to-do list has more to do with the way it makes it scheduling decisions than a shortage of CPU horsepower. Until some tweaks are made to Replays scheduling algorithm the web won't be able to produce a reliable to-do list anymore than the box could. If/when such tweaks are made I'd hope they put it on the box first since a one-day behind web version won't be of as much use.

I'm sure I'll find myreplaytv a nice gee-whiz feature and useful for things like setting up themes en masse, and maybe in the future it will live up to the expectations people already have of it. But myeplaytv marketing seems to consist of saying just enough to prod people into making, and maybe buying a Replay based on, unsupported or false assumptions about what it does right now.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2000, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I never travel ( http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif) but I plan to use MyReplayTV for all my setups. Why? I'd much rather use my PC to do it than a little remote and a slow-responding Replay menu system http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I'm looking forward to it.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2000, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange:
Nut myeplaytv marketing seems to consist of saying just enough to prod people into making, and maybe buying a Replay based on, unsupported or false assumptions about what it does right now.
Most marketing works that way. Marketing is hype. You always have to read the fine print to get the true story. When I read some of the material I did not assume that I could program shows for that same day. Most people understand that marketing is hype and you need to ask questions and read the details to have the full understanding. I personally have no problems with the way ReplayTV is marketing MyReplayTV.com, I hope they sell millions of units.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2000, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Target:
I agree with the people that have said that not being able to do same-day recordings would lessen the appeal of MyReplayTV. I think there is a simple way around this... Make it a configurable option how often the unit dials into the server. I have my ReplayTV on a phone line that is rarely used. I would be more than willing to have it dial up the server a few times a day to get scheduled recording updates that I've setup from outside the house. The default would be the way it's currently setup, but there could be an advanced option to specify times and/or intervals for more frequent dialings for this purpose. Definitely a wishlist item.

Target
As has been mentioned in other threads, every call costs the company ReplayTV money, so this would be a bad thing. Some people might have their units dialing in 10 times a day.

A better choice is to let us configure when the calls are made. I would be likely to make my unit dial in at around 5pm. That way, I would have until then to make any changes, and it would still be before prime time which is when most things I would want would be recorded.

And, it would happen while I was at work, so it would not interfere with
my watching.

Loren

------------------
Loren Finkelstein
http://Loren.Finkelstein.Net
post #9 of 9 Old 11-27-2000, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Better yet would be to allow two dial ins per day. One at night for software and channel guide info and the second for MyReplayTV updates (configurable times, of course).

Cheers

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReplayTV -- The only one that had firewire...

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page