Pause Ads Are Neat - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 35 Old 11-26-2000, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There were a number of new ones this week, but this is the first non-Replay Ad I've seen.

-ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 11-27-2000, 01:43 PM

Burn-in is real ... for some TVs. A friend's projection TV was ruined by a burned-in MUTE indicator. Because even ReplayTV's manual advises against keeping an image on the screen too long to avoid burn-in, I'm surprised some of the early ads with a high bloom factor still appear. But I'm also delighted to see the newer ads seem to be designed with less bloom.

I was originally very critical of the ads. Why? Because they were an undesired feature, added to a product I had already purchased and installed in my home. How intrusive that felt! And because the original ads had such high contrast, they almost appeared designed to induce a burn-in risk for TVs that are susceptible.

But I've gotten used to them. In fact, I actually enjoy the classic Coca Cola Santa one (the first "commercial use"). Not that I particularly love Coca Cola or Santa. But, rather, it's a gentle classic - AND something that means actual ad revenue for ReplayTV - a good thing.

Keep the advertising gentle, low-key, and with low contrast, and most owners should have no problem with it. (Even curmudgeony me.)

[This message has been edited by Minnesotan (edited 11-27-2000).]
post #33 of 35 Old 11-28-2000, 02:26 PM

It's hard to focus on this with the recent announcement, but here goes:

I have an ergonomic gripe with the pause ads. We pause a lot when we try to get the kids to do something (set the table already!) and then we get right back to it. Now I have to hit exit and then play (or pause again). The extra key stroke is a pain, especially since exit is one of those buttons I still have to go searching for. If I could hit play right from the ad screen, I'd be perfectly happy.

As for the recent announcement, I am happy enough with what I have to go with the flow for some time. As is, this has got to be one of the best toys I've gotten in a long time. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Alan
post #34 of 35 Old 11-28-2000, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Just hit pause. It resumes playback at the initial point of pause. No need for the exit first.

00004-54832-08168
00004-54831-82835
post #35 of 35 Old 11-28-2000, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

yes, any of the normal "action" keys will work without hitting exit. Pause or Play will do what you want. 7-second repeat if you forgot what the last 3 words were.

-ken
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page