ReplayTV 4080 and activation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-07-2003, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother has a ReplayTV 4080 that he wants to sell on eBay. He originally purchased it for ~$900 which included lifetime activation. Is the activation transferable? The lifetime activation is in the unit and stays with the unit, right? I checked for past listings of the 4080 and I only found one that sold in the end of November for $405. It was listed as coming with 3 years of service, but it was a refurbished unit from a dealer.

The reason I want to know is because I will be selling it with my eBay account and I just want to make sure I absolutely disclose everything in the sale description. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2003, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the service goes with the unit. It doesn't even matter who owns it, as long as it's life time activated it will work as long as it's connected to a modem/network.

Wow, $900! I had no idea those units were so expensive then. Guess that explains what kept me away from PVR's until recently.

--Andy--
post #3 of 6 Old 12-07-2003, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that $900 was with a coupon code too, if I remember correctly. That was when the 4000s first came out. Back then all Replay units always came with lifetime activation though.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 08:20 PM

Yea I paid $900 for my 4080 as well. It was quite a bit more than the 3xxx series unit I owned before that.

If I knew they would drop updates and development on them so quickly I would have never bought it...

Andy
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I paid $900 for my 4080, but it originally came out at $1000. But that's what you get for buying early. Ask the people who bought the original Replay 1000s. They sold for something like $1600 for a 14 hour unit.

I do agree that most people wouldn't of bought em if they knew it would only last a year. Of course, I would of sold my Enron stock when it hit $80 a share and picked up Microsoft when it was selling at pennies had I known what was happening in the future. Bottom line is you never know. These devices aren't investments, they almost always go down in value, so if you don't think it's worth it at the time, don't buy it.

PostCount++;
--------------------------------------------------------------
ReplayTV 5080 - 00004-54831-79633
post #6 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chain777
Yes, the service goes with the unit. It doesn't even matter who owns it, as long as it's life time activated it will work as long as it's connected to a modem/network.

Wow, $900! I had no idea those units were so expensive then. Guess that explains what kept me away from PVR's until recently.
The activation is built in ... so in today's terms that's like $650 plus activation. I paid $700 or so for my 4040 because I read in here and saw that upgrades were easy and I swapped out the hard drive for a 120 GB. Luckily, technology drops in cost so if you want to be an early advocate you pay more but these days machines are cheap by comparison. I just bought a 5xxx and a 4xxx for $300 +/- $30 or so.

The 4xxx had ethernet and commercial advance ... to me, it was pretty revolutionary. So I didn't care so much about the money. I still have that first one and it hums along nicely.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

00055-09166-69985
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page