Changing options while a program is recording causes skips - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-11-2000, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I keep meaning to ask about this, and it happened again last night: If I'm recording a program and I make changes to another recorded program--usually changing it from guaranteed to non-guaranteed to free up space--it causes a skip in the currently recording program and the audio goes out of synch. Let's say I'm watching my weekly recording of Buffy on a half-hour delay, and it finishes at 9:15 while Angel is recording. When I change Buffy to non-guaranteed, it causes a skip in the recording of Angel. And then I have to hit pause twice, hit Instant Replay, etc. until it's synched up again. Has anybody else noticed this? Is there a way to do your configuring without having to wait for a program to finish recording? ("Yeah, buy a Tivo, ha ha.") Will it... I almost hate to ask... will it be fixed in 3.0?

This is in addition to the just plain old random skips that seem to happen every 10-15 minutes in everything I record. I just ordered a 3060, and it sounds like the skipping problem is even worse with it. I'm sold on ReplayTV, but this is really starting to get on my nerves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-11-2000, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

On the TiVo Underground forum, they talk about skipping every 10-15 minutes happening because of a couple default settings on the Maxtor drives that were used for upgrading.

Now, since Maxtor drives are being used in the 3060, they may not have turned this setting off at the factory.

Power cycling the drive 10 times turns off WVSET, as does putting it in your PC and running a utility. However, in your case, I'm going to assume you'd rather use the power cycle method. Unfortunately, you are going to have to take the drive out to change the AMSET parameters. I'd be very interested to see if these settings are on on the 3060.

See these threads for details:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum6/HTML/001209.html
http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum6/HTML/001383.html

------------------
PRMan
post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-2000, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear it Mike. Please understand, I wasn't trying to generate FUD, just offer a suggestion to a problem that many 3060 users seem to be reporting.

------------------
PRMan
post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2000, 08:27 AM

I've had my Showstopper for about 2 weeks and have been running 3.0 for about 10 days. I had no skips until 2 days ago where it has skipped twice each in the last 2 recorded shows I watched.

So it doesn't seem to be fixed in 3.0.

It is also very possible that I was changing recording options for other shows during these records.

It is very annoying.

Rick
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2000, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayMike:
It should be fixed in 3.0 -- the problem is that a processor and disk-intensive operation (changing the recording options) is taking too many resources away from the A/V system.

Mike, does that mean "we have a fix we plan to add to 3.0" or "we believe the current 3.0 already fixes it"? As an owner of models 2004 and 3060 currently running 3.0 I can confirm the problem persists, and that it is not limited to making recording while one is making changes to settings - it also occurs when one is recording while viewing the same or any other program while concurrently using the "InstantReplay" or "QuickSkip" buttons. This is the problem several of us have asked for a ReplayTV Inc. response about, since it adversely affects one of ReplayTV's biggest selling points: viewing the same (or another) program while recording.

Thanks for all help with this, several weeks ago by the way! I, too, don't want to disseminate FUD, just want to ask for the clarification and to share this additional information on this problem.

Jerry

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page