How about a "Now Showing" Zone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2000, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spent a bit of time last night "playing" with Zones, and I noticed that in many (but not all) of the Zones, there is a "Now Showing" selection. Selecting it displays all the programming based on that Zone that is now airing or will be shortly. This functionality is very cool! I could see myself using this feature a lot. Of course, as I mentioned, not all Zones have this option.

My suggestion is this:

How about adding an additional Zone called simply "Now Showing" that, when selected, displays the list of all Zone "topics" (ie: Movies, Biography, Sports, etc.) When you select one of these topics, you get the list of what's currently on. It would the same functionlity as navigating to that Zone and selecting "Now Showing", but consolidated into one screen.

Does this make sense? We currently have this functionality, but it is spread over multiple Zones.

Yes, it's nice to just "browse" through the Channel Guide, but I find myself going through the routine (I subscribe to DirecTV) of "Check out the 500's, then the 200's, then just page up and down until I find something I like". If I had a "Now Showing" Zone, I could just pick the topic and see what's on.

What are your thoughts on this suggestion?

Is this simply a redundancy of current functionality?

ReplayGuys: How difficult would something like this be?

------------------
-Jim

ReplayTV: The only way to watch Iron Chef!

-Jim

Visit SageTVTips.com for SageTV tips! MoxiTips.com for Moxi tips! Visit JimsTips.com for my "ReplayTV to DVD HOWTO" guide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2000, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that's an interesting idea...I like that. But, pick a new name - that's what TiVo's "ReplayGuide" is called http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

But...I see one problem. "Now Showing" does NOT show WHAT'S ON NOW. It just lumps all the lower-level categories of that Zone into one big category. You'll still get results from shows that are on 7 days from now. That, to me, is not "now showing".

Limit it to ON RIGHT NOW or at least a few hours out only and then we'd have something.