Manual record option and Clock setting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-05-2000, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if /how one can do a manual recording on the RePlay. Just in case... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Also, clock setting...just in case!

TiVo is sounding like they will be disabling this feature, so my TiVo unit is probably going back to the store.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-05-2000, 05:33 AM

Manual recording is part of the 3.0 software upgrade. You get to it through the menu, and choose the input, channel, time and duration. The only thing lacking is the ability to label the manual recording - now it just shows up on the Replay Guide as "Manual Record on date and time".

As to clock setting, one person has posted a "work-around" that replay has said is not a good idea. I don't recall the specifics, but it involved the initial setup of your system and not deleting the demo recording that ships with your unit.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-05-2000, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Emery:
TiVo is sounding like they will be disabling this feature, so my TiVo unit is probably going back to the store.
Tivolutionary has already said that this will only affect new boxes that ship with 2.0 pre-installed. So if you already have a TiVo, it will not lose this capability.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-05-2000, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SleepyBob:
Tivolutionary has already said that this will only affect new boxes that ship with 2.0 pre-installed. So if you already have a TiVo, it will not lose this capability.
This is true, but it does present an interesting company philosophy which many may not like...

------------------
-Jim

ReplayTV: The only way to watch Iron Chef!

-Jim

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for SageTV tips!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Moxi tips! Visit
for my
guide!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2000, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

THe only thing that comes to mind here is the phrase "Can't stop progress."

I used to have a VCR that was a very nice VCR. Only problem was that you couldn't have a timer event span midnight, or if you did, it'd just stop recording at midnight. Workaround: 2 timer events.

Back in those days, you bought a box and it was an appliance and if it had bugs, well, that's what you bought.

Nowadays, things are so much more hopelessly complicated. I have a TV and a VCR, both of which depend on a local TV station to send data - one for time and channel lineup, the other for program guide data. Both insist on knowing things like what the remote code for the other, or the cable box is, and both depend on continuing support from SOMEWHERE ELSE. (Thank you, Fox network, for consistently setting my VCR's clock to Pacific Standard Time.)

Now we have Replays and TiVos. Not only is the bug set in a constant state of flux, but it's questionable as to whether these things will do anything useful if we don't have ongoing support from the mothership.

Can't stop progress.

I like the idea and implementation, but there are just a few of these details that are going to take a little getting used to.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2000, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr:
This is true, but it does present an interesting company philosophy which many may not like...
Before people start making conclusions about the company based on this new policy, let's get a few things straight.
1) TiVo makes no money on the sale of the box (and may still lose money on each sale)
2) Currently people have the option of not subscribing to the TiVo service. This means they get the product of all of TiVo's hard work and TiVo gets nothing!
3) In the future TiVo will require a subscription to the service. It will be made clear on the box that the subscription is required. You have the choice of paying monthly or paying once for the lifetime of the box. Lifetime is essentially equivalent to Replay's policy of combining the service price into the box. (e.g. If it is repaired or replaced under warranty, the service transfers.)
4) All boxes made before the change will still be able to function without the service since that was the deal when they bought the box. Unsubscribed units can call in to set the clock.
5) TiVo has said that if they go out of business they will release the secret way to set the clock so that people will not be left with doorstops. I don't think RB specifically commented on turning on manual recordings for all boxes, but given the previous comments it is highly likely.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page