Need help - unwanted HF noise emitting from RTV box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2000, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am experiencing a high frequency noise that seems to emit from the Replay unit. It is greatly amplified (to the point of unbearable)by my ProLogic decoder/receiver. The noise only goes away if I unplug my RTV. Powering(spin) down does not seem to help. Two very nice people from the cust. support team have tried to help. One said to swap out my audio RCA(composite) for high quality shielded cables. $40 later - noise is still there. Another cust. support person is sending me a new power cord to try. I think it could be Electro-magnetic interference coming from the unit but that is just a guess. The sound is definitely coming from the box though.
Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?
I love my Replay, its kinda like the 'net, once you have it you can't live w/out it. It has performed flawlessly since I got it. It is better than anyone or advertisement can describe. I dont want a TIVO, I've compared my RTV to my brothers TIVO and I'd never switch.
This "buzzing" is like the ringing you get in your ears but a much higher frequency. Its driving me crazy. Maybe its just my RTV.
Help!!!
Thanks everyone. Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2000, 03:56 PM

I'm assuming you've already checked these things, but I'll suggest them anyway...

Try the other set of outputs on the Replay.
Try a different set of inputs on the receiver.
Try plugging the output from the Replay into a VCR and the output from the VCR into the Receiver.
You've already tried different cables, so we'll let that one go...
Check the position of the cables and try moving them around, away from any others. Try powering down everything else in your entertainment system to make sure it's not interference from something else.
Try plugging the replay into an outlet on a different electrical circuit.
Try plugging your video source into a VCR and then take the output from the VCR to the Replay.
Take off any splitters, etc. that you have on the cable/satellite line.
Unplug the phone line from the Replay.

It may not help, but then again, it just may help to isolate whatever is bad. If nothing else helps, it probably is the Replay, but I've never heard of a similar problem being reported.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out!

Tim

------------------
"The two most abundant substances in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity. Not necessarily in that order"

"The two most abundant substances in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity. Not necessarily in that order"
post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-2000, 07:16 PM

I had a similar problem with my RTV playing through my Yamaha Dolby Pro-Logic receiver when I hooked the video through it. Initially I was only sending the audio from my TV through the receiver and all my AV was going to the inputs on the TV with only the audio passing from the TV through the receiver. There was no problem then. Later when I got my DVD player I needed another input and didn't have one on the TV so I had to start sending all my AV through the Receiver to get enough inputs. That's when the NOISE started. And actually the hum on my system came out of my sub-woofer and I found out where to start looking from the troubleshooting section of my subwoofer documentation.

Come to find out my cable coming into the house wasn't grounded. To see if that's the problem try unhooking the CABLE IN from your wall and see if the noise goes away. NOTE: you shouldn't have to unhook any of your video into the receiver, just unplug the cable line coming into the house before any splitters, or at least before it goes into anything hooked to the receiver.
If the noise goes away (like mine did) then your cable isn't grounded properly. With mine it was because they never hooked up the ground wire right where the cable came off the pole to my house.

Once you find out if this is the cause you can call the cable co and have them come out and properly ground your cable. I figure that's why I've blown out 2 tv's, my original replay, and my receiver in the last 5 years. The incoming lightning strike was looking for a nice place to find ground and figured the shortest path was THROUGH my AV equipment to the grounding plug in the wall! It was either that or the fact that my lightning arrestors on the roof were grounded to the ground circuit of my house power! (both situations discovered at about the same time and corrected!)

I hope this is your problem because it's pretty easy to diagnose and fix. If the cable co can't/won't fix their improper grounding there are specific devices that will correct a ground fault. Either inline units that you put in your cable line before all your AV equipment, and also some power conditioners will correct it also. I went with a power conditioner/surge suppressor that conditions/protects my power/phone/video into my AV center.

------------------
Wayne Dunham
waynedunham@email.com

Wayne Dunham
wayno@waynedunham.name
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page