copying saved shows directly to a pc? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-06-2000, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With all the recent work done on hacking the replay OS to allow for a larger hard drive, has anyone been able to copy a recorded show directly from the replay tv hard drive into a pc? I'm not talking about using a capture card, I mean yanking the hd out of the replay tv, installing it in a pc, and copying the saved show(s) directly to the pc hd. I assume that it isn't that easy, as there is probably some proprietary file format involved, but it sure would be nice....

------------------
-------------------------
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.

Rex_Dart is Eskimo Spy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-06-2000, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

As of yet, there isn't a way to copy the MPEG files. My guess is that even with the progress made in hacking the systems, decoding these files is probably the toughest feat of all. I would guess that they are keyed somehow to the hardware to prevent this type of duplication.

That's just a guess though. If I were making a PVR, that's what I would do to keep the production studios from suing me into the ground.

------------------
Remember, it's just television...

Planet Replay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do you VUDU?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-07-2000, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, it is possible to extract the video files from the ReplayTV hard drive by putting that drive in your PC. They are in standard MPEG format (like on a DVD, without the CSS encryption) and can be played using Window Media Player or your favorite DVD program.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-07-2000, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

It can't be that simple, can it? Has anybody done this before? Where can I find more info on this?

------------------
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.

post #5 of 10 Old 12-07-2000, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess is that FlipFlop knows what he's talking about.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the
post #6 of 10 Old 12-07-2000, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

I am very sure it isn't that easy. I wouldn't trust someone with 12 posts. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #7 of 10 Old 12-07-2000, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It ain't the number of posts; it's the number of lines of code.

Hey, this is easy enough to check: THere's been enough posted in this conference that someone could figure out how to locate a file and extract at least a chunk of it. Do that, feed it to Windows Media Player, see what happens.

I have heard tell that people have tried this with pleasing results. I have not verified this for myself.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the
post #8 of 10 Old 12-07-2000, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

My post was definitely based on speculation. Anyone who's been slogging through the disk system of the Replay as much as FlipFlop and the others can definitely say better....

------------------

Planet Replay:

Do you VUDU?
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2000, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just as an aside: In this lovely town of Lansing, MI where I have to commute to a lot for work, there was an article in the paper about a recent incident where a pickup truck intentionally swerved into a large puddle to drench a pedestrian. A passing motorist got the license plate of the truck, and the driver is being charged with assault....

------------------

Planet Replay:

Do you VUDU?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-08-2000, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens:
Just as an aside: In this lovely town of Lansing, MI where I have to commute to a lot for work, there was an article in the paper about a recent incident where a pickup truck intentionally swerved into a large puddle to drench a pedestrian. A passing motorist got the license plate of the truck, and the driver is being charged with assault....

I'll make sure to forward your comment to Jack Handey of SNL fame. That is one of his better "Deep Thoughts" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page