Things are the same all over... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-07-2000, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone who's paid any attention to the TiVo recently would notice that TiVo is going through the "new release approaching" machinations that we all dealt with over the Replay 3.0 software.

Some users are screaming the TiVo 2.0 should have already been released, some are screaming because they are afraid that others will get the release before them, and some are just screaming.

Interestingly enough, over at TiVo they seem to have control over which units get the upgrade at what time, as opposed to the "random" method used by Replay. What makes that very interesting is that apparently there was an offer to make 2.0 available to TiVo users who frequented the TiVo Forum here at AVS before other people might receive it, something that a number of users thought would be nice for Replay to do when 3.0 was imminent. Of course, what seemed to be a nice gesture turned into a shouting match... My motto seems to stand: "it's never as easy as it should be".

Anyhow, this is not intended to be a slam of TiVo or TiVo users in any possible way. It's merely an observation that things are the same all over. Anyone with any corrections to my observations are welcome to share. I think it's pertinent to Replay users to see that the release of an upgrade is a universal problem...

------------------
Remember, it's just television...

Remember, it's just television...
Planet Replay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do you VUDU?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-07-2000, 11:52 AM
GT

"The problem with the world is that the most deserving and the least deserving tend to think they are the opposite." - anonymous
post #3 of 9 Old 12-07-2000, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, the TiVo 2.0 stuff is an interesting experiment to me.

What will people like more - releases being up to the whim of lady luck (Replay) or being released early to "selected" people (TiVo).

Guess it'll depend on if you're "selected" or not. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

My TiVo S/N is ready to go the minute Richard gives the go ahead - so I guess we'll see how *I* react! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2000, 07:14 PM

I have two standalone Tivos, one 30hr Sony, one 89hr Phillips. I'm looking forward to the next version of the software, and I am getting anxious. BUT, I can wait. I've been reading in the DirectTivo forum, and based on problems there, I'd rather have a FINISHED tested release.

I wonder if DirectTivo got rushed at all to beat Microsoft's UltimateTV to the Christmas punch? If so, I wonder if that contributes to 2.0 "lateness", maybe they've learned a lesson?

Jacques
post #5 of 9 Old 12-08-2000, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Jacques,
Can you confirm if you can use the Sony and Philips remotes on the other machine? I'm planning to create some TiVo device codes that can be used on the 15-1994 remote, and it should be pretty easy to create the Sony code, but I don't know if it's possible to create the Philips code. Even if I find a way to get the current code that UEIC created (the 0618 code) it's missing several buttons and I don't know if I can use that implemntation to re-create them.

------------------
Later,
Rob.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on:

I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2000, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony and Phillips remotes are not interchangable.

------------------
Phil
Part Time Tivo Demo Days Spokesman

Phil
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2000, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The only glitches I know of involve Dolby Digital, which the standalones don't have. I haven't studied the DTivo's faults too much, but a friend has one and loves it except for his optical output dropping sound, and the left/right channels are mixed up on the optical output. These are software fixes, but I don't know when they will be fixed. My friend tells me wishlists rock!

------------------
Phil
Part Time Tivo Demo Days Spokesman

Phil
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2000, 10:48 AM
Xaa
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy:
The only glitches I know of involve Dolby Digital, which the standalones don't have. I haven't studied the DTivo's faults too much, but a friend has one and loves it except for his optical output dropping sound, and the left/right channels are mixed up on the optical output. These are software fixes, but I don't know when they will be fixed. My friend tells me wishlists rock!

Your friend is right about wishlists, but we don't need to tell them that over here, they've had Themes all along.

Besides the Dolby Digital Glitches, there are some really minor issues that I think are mostly related toDirecTv's APG guide format.

Xaa

post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2000, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacques:
I have two standalone Tivos, one 30hr Sony, one 89hr Phillips. I'm looking forward to the next version of the software, and I am getting anxious. BUT, I can wait. I've been reading in the DirectTivo forum, and based on problems there, I'd rather have a FINISHED tested release.

I wonder if DirectTivo got rushed at all to beat Microsoft's UltimateTV to the Christmas punch? If so, I wonder if that contributes to 2.0 "lateness", maybe they've learned a lesson?

Jacques
What type of software problems w/ 2.0 (that would affect SAs too) are going on???

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page