One more priorities question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-08-2000, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, let me apologize if this has been addressed. I did not find an answer to this specific question. I think I know the answer but I need to be reassured.

Here's the situation:
All 30 hours of my capacity is allocated to guaranteed show-based channels. Only a small portion of them contain episodes as I've watched most and deleted them. If I now set a 3 hour non-guaranteed showbased channel, will it record? I can't guarantee it as all 30 hours are allocated, but due to currently "empty" channels, the space is available. If this is the case, I assume that as the guaranteed show-based channels record their episodes and the disk fills, the non-guaranteed episode will be deleted when needed. Is this correct?

Thanks!

00004-54832-08168
00004-54831-82835
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-08-2000, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Mike!

00004-54832-08168
00004-54831-82835
post #3 of 8 Old 12-08-2000, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike, I have a question on this.

How does it decide which NG show to delete when a G show comes up? So far, my current best guess is that it deletes the show where the first half was watched and the second not. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Seriously, though, does it work First In, First Out (I doubt it) or as the parking space metaphor, where the NG show is "towed away" when the G comes along to park? Or something else entirely?

Just wondering.

------------------
PRMan
post #4 of 8 Old 12-08-2000, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by uncleblaine:
All 30 hours of my capacity is allocated to guaranteed show-based channels. Only a small portion of them contain episodes as I've watched most and deleted them. If I now set a 3 hour non-guaranteed showbased channel, will it record? I can't guarantee it as all 30 hours are allocated, but due to currently "empty" channels, the space is available.
The safest thing is to temporarily unguarantee some shows, guarantee this one, and once you delete this one, reguarantee the shows you want.

------------------
Loren Finkelstein
http://Loren.Finkelstein.Net
post #5 of 8 Old 12-08-2000, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious, why did you guarantee so much stuff, was it so that Replay would work out the conflict resolution for you? You may want to un-guarantee some of those shows because when one of those "two hour specials" comes along, even if your drive is COMPLETELY EMPTY it won't record.

Let's say that you have a show based channel set up for "West Wing" set to keep one episode, and you have 29 hours of other stuff also guaranteed, when the two hour episode comes along, Replay will look at your set up and decide that it doesn't have the guaranteed space available to record this show and it will bypass it. The thinking being that it's better to avoid this one show now in case there's not enough room to record something later.

In this case, the show would only record if the channel is NON-guaranteed. Go figure!

Hopefully, this is something that is on the "fix list" over at ReplayHQ.

------------------
Later,
Rob.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #6 of 8 Old 12-08-2000, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I know it sounds crazy, but this is how ReplayMike explained it to us a while back when all the 2-hour end of season specials where coming up. I don't remember the subject title of the thread to help you search for it, but it's in the archives somewhere.

------------------
Later,
Rob.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
post #7 of 8 Old 12-08-2000, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman:

In this case, the show would only record if the channel is NON-guaranteed. Go figure!

Hopefully, this is something that is on the "fix list" over at ReplayHQ.

I think I need an aspirin! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Believe it or not, I think the main reason most of my shows are guaranteed is because that's what it defaults to. And it also requires the least thought at setup. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif And for those times I decide to grab a show as an afterthought or a sampling, I don't want one of my regulars to get bumped. If they are all guaranteed I won't bump a show I know I want with one I just want to sample. I so wish that ANY conflicts would come up on a per setting basis and allow me to make a per setting priority that overrides the blanket priorities. Since as Mike said, in the situation above the NG show "should" record but that's not guaranteed, maybe I need a "guaranteed as long as there is free space" priority. I assume that is what NG is meant to be in this type of situation, but obviously it may not always work out that way. Is that a glitch? Or is NG just meant to be a roll of the dice? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Given the only other workaround is to NG some of the regular shows and G this one timer, I hope it is just a glitch. A glitch that can and will be fixed in time.

[This message has been edited by uncleblaine (edited 12-08-2000).]

00004-54832-08168
00004-54831-82835
post #8 of 8 Old 12-08-2000, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelric:
Rob, are you sure?
I have a little over 6 hours of guaranteed space left most of the time. I set Dune to record (6 hours guranteed) leaving me with just a few minutes. My replay still recorded the one hour (as opposed to half hour) Bear in the Big Blue house episode, much to the delight of my daughter. I had a lot of empty space on the hard drive, but almost no guaranteed space.

Was Big Blue House guaranteed? To keep how many episodes? (or if it was Theme, how much time?)

If it was Guar. to keep one half hour episode and your machine had less than 30 min. of GUARANTEED space available, then the hour-long episode should NOT have recorded.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page