BIG price drops for 55xx replays - Page 15 - AVS Forum
First ... 13  14  15
ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs > BIG price drops for 55xx replays
ejpbowie's Avatar ejpbowie 08:03 AM 12-21-2003
MDesigner, let me know what happens....I haven't opened mine up yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cephraim's Avatar cephraim 06:12 PM 12-21-2003
I got one of the CC 5504's with the green sticker. Hooked it up, watched it connect to the servers, went to the Setup menu and found that it wasn't activated.

Did I read that sometimes it has to be connected for 24hrs BEFORE the 3yr activation is recognized? Or, is the fact that it connected and it shows a Grace Period of 1/1 a sign that I'm SOL?

Thanks,
Eph
mike1650's Avatar mike1650 06:25 PM 12-21-2003
I have not hooked up my CC one. I did a Fry's one today with no problem for now. Do you know if we should register or not? I have not.
steve_kurr's Avatar steve_kurr 03:12 AM 12-23-2003
i was searching the web for replay tv stuff when i came across this ebay auction site, dunno if its a joke or not.

cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3067243962

looks like its just another guy trying to cash in on the replaytv hullabaloo over the holidays.
icecow's Avatar icecow 03:23 AM 12-23-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by steve_kurr
i was searching the web for replay tv stuff when i came across this ebay auction site, dunno if its a joke or not.

cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3067243962

looks like its just another guy trying to cash in on the replaytv hullabaloo over the holidays.

It sets the times for VCRs easily. It's a real product, but $350 is a bit much. I don't think the guy can get in any trouble.

It goes for 29.99 here(description included):
http://www.youcansave.com/vcr.asp

cow
cephraim's Avatar cephraim 09:21 AM 12-23-2003
From another board:

"Most units now show Grace period until 1/1 when first hooked up. Users calling 800-933-5899 to activate their units will be asked how much they paid. If they answer the question saying that it was purchased before 12/17 and for the old price, they will get switched to 3 years of service starting 1/1/04."

Not very ethical, but...
GooberedUp's Avatar GooberedUp 09:31 AM 12-23-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
It sets the times for VCRs easily. It's a real product, but $350 is a bit much. I don't think the guy can get in any trouble.

It goes for 29.99 here(description included):
http://www.youcansave.com/vcr.asp

cow
Hmmm, maybe that Pete "Ralph nader Jr." Rod guy should be told about this atrocious price markup so he can post another Ebay message saying how that price is a scam . . .
ned215's Avatar ned215 10:39 AM 12-23-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by cephraim
From another board:

"Most units now show Grace period until 1/1 when first hooked up. Users calling 800-933-5899 to activate their units will be asked how much they paid. If they answer the question saying that it was purchased before 12/17 and for the old price, they will get switched to 3 years of service starting 1/1/04."

Not very ethical, but...
Justice would be served if some of those units died between the date when the person claimed they purchased their units and the date they actually purchased it. (ie they're out of luck for repair under warranty.)

Dan
steverap's Avatar steverap 01:26 PM 12-23-2003
Has anyone tried contacting the media regarding this fiasco? Many of the local TV news stations have a "consumer action line" to help those who are having a hard time getting a company to respond to their problems. The media attention often causes a company to pay more attention to how they are handling their customers.
mike1650's Avatar mike1650 01:37 PM 12-23-2003
Locally we have 7 on your side as a consumer help show. I sent them the whole story and titled it "The Grinch that stole Christmas" I would think they would jump on it but so far nothing back.
steverap's Avatar steverap 01:53 PM 12-23-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by mike1650
Locally we have 7 on your side as a consumer help show. I sent them the whole story and titled it "The Grinch that stole Christmas" I would think they would jump on it but so far nothing back.
Please let us if they're going to broadcast anything so that those of us here in the bay area (myself included) can record it and IVS it to those with 5xxx machines! (Sorry 55xx owners)
mike1650's Avatar mike1650 05:54 PM 12-23-2003
Can't any of us serve up a show or movie with DVDArchive or is that what IVS is? Don't know all the differences between the models. I thought there were less now with Show/Nav installed.
leesweet's Avatar leesweet 06:05 PM 12-23-2003
55xx's can't send/receive shows over the Internet. That's IVS. They *can* stream between units on the same network.
mike1650's Avatar mike1650 06:19 PM 12-23-2003
Cool I wish I could do that. Anyone want to trade a 5504 (activated) for the RS version? I have an extra.
Markz2k's Avatar Markz2k 06:27 PM 12-23-2003
I sent an email to the Inquirer describing the whole fiasco with links to AVS and FW. It's a UK-based tech site that has a very large readership, and can be helpful in getting companies to see the error of their ways. :)

Another good site is www.gripe2ed.com. Run by Ed Foster, used to have a weekly column in info world. I'll send him a message next.
jleavens's Avatar jleavens 06:29 PM 12-23-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by cephraim
I got one of the CC 5504's with the green sticker. Hooked it up, watched it connect to the servers, went to the Setup menu and found that it wasn't activated.

Did I read that sometimes it has to be connected for 24hrs BEFORE the 3yr activation is recognized? Or, is the fact that it connected and it shows a Grace Period of 1/1 a sign that I'm SOL?
If you paid the lower price and have made a couple of connections (you can use the Setup menu to force a connection), you probably don't have the activation and will have to make some choices.
absolutAndy's Avatar absolutAndy 08:47 PM 12-23-2003
uh its probably just a effin joke, read the quotes he has on the auction

"This replayTV system has 31 buttons - that's 31 too many, plus I got screwed out of 3 years of service which said was included on the green sticker ontop of the box, I pay 12.95 monthly now! I wish I bought the VCR Co-Pilot instead! " said Amelia Zergoff, from Saudi Arabia.

he is obviously making fun of the replay tv controversy going on, why dont you all just chill, i find that auction pretty damn halarious lol, look at that "size does matter!" picture he has :D

Quote:
Originally posted by GooberedUp
Hmmm, maybe that Pete "Ralph nader Jr." Rod guy should be told about this atrocious price markup so he can post another Ebay message saying how that price is a scam . . .

GooberedUp's Avatar GooberedUp 10:10 PM 12-23-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by absolutAndy
uh its probably just a effin joke, read the quotes he has on the auction

"This replayTV system has 31 buttons - that's 31 too many, plus I got screwed out of 3 years of service which said was included on the green sticker ontop of the box, I pay 12.95 monthly now! I wish I bought the VCR Co-Pilot instead! " said Amelia Zergoff, from Saudi Arabia.

he is obviously making fun of the replay tv controversy going on, why dont you all just chill, i find that auction pretty damn halarious lol, look at that "size does matter!" picture he has :D
Actually, my comments came from me feeling a little annoyed with Pete_Rod. It was a silly argument that escalated in the heat of this whole RTV fiasco.
absolutAndy's Avatar absolutAndy 10:38 PM 12-23-2003
ah gotcha ;p

Quote:
Originally posted by GooberedUp
Actually, my comments came from me feeling a little annoyed with Pete_Rod. It was a silly argument that escalated in the heat of this whole RTV fiasco.

lonetreejim's Avatar lonetreejim 07:01 AM 12-24-2003
In regard to the sub-thread of RTV concentrating on partnering with others in the satellite and cable business...

Anybody ever wonder why the Dish Network PVR has a 30 second skip and the Sci Atl SA8000 doesn't? And why, generally speaking, the software on those boxes suck compared to RTV or even Tivo? Is it because writing the software is too hard? Don't think so...

I think it might be that the cablecos (and to a much lesser extent the satellite providers) own damn near all programming that isn't network television. I think the cablecos don't want people completely skipping commercial (even fast forward must make them spin) because it directly affects the amount they will be able to charge in the future for advertising and; therefore, their bottom line.

If RTV partners with SA or Motorola I think you'll see feature sets that are no where close to the RTV we know and love (but the picture quality will be better as they can record the digital streams directly).

My 2 cents.

Jim
tluxon's Avatar tluxon 07:08 AM 12-24-2003
If the business model remains the same, you make a good point. However, with the increased spending on internet advertising and the vastly changing viewing habits of the audience, that business model is almost certainly doomed. I think we're going to begin seeing a model that is more like PPV, especially for premium content, and that's where a feature like IVS, if used improperly, could be most damaging.

Tim
sphereman's Avatar sphereman 12:00 PM 12-24-2003
sorry for my ignorance but what is the deal now? I've quit reading this thread about 3 days ago and looks like the dust hasn't settled yet?

One guy over at anandtech said the units must be activated by today for 3 year subscription. Is this correct? or the guy does not have a clue what he is talking about (talking about the ones from CC)..

Anyways.. happy holidays!!
spacelord's Avatar spacelord 12:09 PM 12-24-2003
regarding possible limiting of 30 second skip and convenient fast forwarding by companies who have stock in commercials..

If my Replay didn't have commercial skip or 30 second skip, I would build my own PVR from a PC. I know its a little more hastle to get a PC PVR going, but if someone writes some nice software then I think many people will flock to it leaving limited PVRs behind. I've seen some of the PC software ( I can't remember the name of it) but it wasn't too bad. I didn't like the encoding, but that could have been the hardware or could be improved with software anyways.
First ... 13  14  15

Up
Mobile  Desktop