BIG price drops for 55xx replays - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked one up at RatShack. Plugged it in, set it up and it says activated (one-time fee paid). not bad for $150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:10 PM

I picked one up today at CC for $149.

Hooked it up and the remote worked for one button press and then it died. Spent 20mins on the phone with support and they said to go back to CC and get a new remote or exchange it. I'll see if they will give me the floor model remote since I bought the last one.

Otherwise, I used my TV remote (which performs all of the buttons on the regular remote) and setup the system. It doesn't say anything in the Menu about activation so I think I'm set. I registered it online and it didn't say anything about paying for service either. (Mine had the green sticker)

Off to use my first PVR. Thanks for the deal.
post #183 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
Picked one up at RatShack. Plugged it in, set it up and it says activated (one-time fee paid). not bad for $150.
Same here. I just got home with two of them from RadioShack and finished setting up the first one. This one was the display model so it was in demo mode. While it was in demo mode I went to the System Information screen and it said it wasn't activated. I did the 382 Zones to turn off demo mode and return to factory settings, it ran me through the setup and it says the one time fee is paid . I hope it doesn't change it's mind! :D

I had to go to two Radio Shacks to get these but they made it very easy. I got home with both of them in about a half hour.

edit: 2nd one says one time fee paid also
From the activation website
Quote:
# Go to the ReplayTV Main Menu by pressing the Menu button on the remote control.
# Select Setup.
# Select "Service Activation."

(Note: if you do not see the "Service Activation" item in the Setup menu, you are already activated.)
There is no option in the setup menu for me to activate either one of these 5040s from RadioShack. Anyone else think that when Sonicblue started selling those "refurbs" online that maybe they just went ahead and activated all the 5000s? These units I got had been at RadioShack awhile because the sales clerk disted off the demo model he packed up for me. Tomorrow I'm going to stop by again to thank them. This is the sweetest deal I have ever gotten!

-Rob
post #184 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:30 PM

OK, now I am totally confused. After 3 hours of making the "initial" connection and updating the s/w (via modem), the "Service" field of the "System Information" screen says "Registered", not the "one-time fee paid" message I've been seeing from other posters.

Does this mean my unit is activated?

It's true - I read it somewhere. I wrote it down, and then I read it.
post #185 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:31 PM

So if it says:

Activated (One-Time Fee Paid)

Does that basically mean that:
1) I definately am not in the 3-day trial period
2) I either have a 3-Year or Lifetime subscription?
post #186 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:31 PM

Shoot. I got one for CC this morning and just ran through the setup and it says Not yet registered. When I entered the info online it gave me the payment options. When I picked it up for CC, she did scan the serial number. Do you think they transmitted this info to DNNA? Oh well, I guess I'll be returning it.
post #187 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:32 PM

Add another "me too" to the 5040 from RS success story. 1 time fee paid.

<---- Happy Camper.
post #188 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ssbkt, you may want to wait a day or two. Sometimes activation takes a bit of time.

Cheers

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #189 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tyoung88
So if it says:

Activated (One-Time Fee Paid)

Does that basically mean that:
1) I definately am not in the 3-day trial period
2) I either have a 3-Year or Lifetime subscription?
See my post above. It looks to me that this is true, and I'm guessing all the SonicBlue Replays that RadioShack have are activated. I have a friend scouring his own neighborhood now :D

-Rob
post #190 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:56 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK, I now have a 5504 and 5508 that I got at CC today. I've registered both of them on the ReplayTV web site, no mention of activation there. On the web site there is a link for activation which has this in it:

Go to the ReplayTV Main Menu by pressing the Menu button on the remote control.
Select Setup.
Select "Service Activation."
(Note: if you do not see the "Service Activation" item in the Setup menu, you are already activated.)

I didn't see a "Service Activation" item so I'm assuming that it's all good to go and I've got the 3 year plan as the box and slip in side it says.
post #191 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

To those who have scored 5040s at Radio Shack:

Was the price marked at $149, was it listed at that in the system, or did you have to haggle? I ask because I went to two separate Radio Shack stores tonight, and they both had 5040s in stock. However, both had them marked at $499 and both said that is the price in the system when I asked them to check. I would like to pick up another *I have two) at the $149 price if possible.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #192 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I went to one store during my lunch break today just as the guy was changing the pricetag. Just ask them to ring it up, it should come up as $149. I don't know what you can do but try another Radio Shack if they ring it up at $499. I had no problem.

The store I actually bought mine from only had one in the back and no demo model, so they had to look the price up. They called up the other RadioShack down the street and told them to hold the one they had for me. So that was 3 stores I saw that had it for $149.

Was $499 the original cost of the 5040s? That seems kind of high considering both of mine had an orange sticker on the box saying service would cost $9.95 a month or $250 lifetime. Though Radio Shack does tend to sell everything at MSRP.

-Rob
post #193 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm,

I will return tomorrow with a printout from the RS web site that does indeed show the price at $149 and get them to ring it up for me.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #194 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.

Was the price marked at $149, was it listed at that in the system, or did you have to haggle? I ask because I went to two separate Radio Shack stores tonight, and they both had 5040s in stock. However, both had them marked at $499 and both said that is the price in the system when I asked them to check. I would like to pick up another *I have two) at the $149 price if possible.
I got the display unit at one RS. The manager originally said it was $450 or $499, I forget which. I asked him to double-check because the web said $149. He did and said I was right, it was $149. He did mention that I would now have to pay monthly or lifetime for the service - I told him that wasn't going to be a problem. ;)

My friend went to two other RS's (at my recommendation and because I had prior engagements I couldn't miss) and even though he called me back from each place TWICE afraid to buy them because the sales people either said he would HAVE to pay for activation and because one place had a pricetag ON the box of $450 or something, I told him to keep at it. He got the first one for $149 and found the "one time fee paid" message after setup. He's bought the second (display) unit at another store for the same price after I yelled at him to ASK them to do a price check.

So basically my buddy is sitting pretty with TWO activated units and I only have one. There's a display unit about 10 miles from here in another RS I've never been to that I'm going to hit tomorrow. Hopefully I'll score there and be able to have a unit for the main TV room and a unit for the bedroom.

And to think, I began the day as a veteran Tivo owner who had never given much thought to Replay since they'd seemed so much more expensive back in the day when they both were new. Now I own a lifetime Tivo with 115 hours and (we hope) at 3-yr or maybe lifetime Replay with 40 hours. Time to do some research on the hacking and hd addition possibilities for this little puppy.

Thanks to all for the advice!
post #195 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:24 PM

I ordered a 5504 from CC.com this morning, and went down there to pick it up. Got one, had the green sticker saying 3-years included. I got the email from CC later (after I had already picked it up) about the activation fee, but I just ignored it. Then, I checked the local Rat Shacks online, and found one store that had 2 in stock. Called them, confirmed stock, and picked it up after work. Connected it, and after the setup and software download, confirmed it was activated. (One-time fee paid)

The Rat shack employee was rather surprised when he saw the price in the system. He wasn't sure about the activation, but I asked them if they got the units in stock while they were being sold with actiavtion included, he said yes. I explained activation is keyed to the serial, and that their own web site stated service is included. He held the one new in the box unit for me. By the time I got there, he had been reading the thread on FW, and was considering buying their floor model unit. (He later confirmed with Replay CS that it was activated, and bought it.)

I'll wait a week or so to confirm it stays activated, after that I'll sell the 5504 if someone wants it, or I can always return it to CC. I might keep it and have 2, but I don't really need it. I already have a MyHD, and 3 VCR's besides the 5040. :) Anybody in the Orange County, CA area wants a 5504, send me a PM. :)
post #196 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.

The shelf said $499, I asked them to look it up in their computers and they told me it was $149.
post #197 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Markz2k

I'll wait a week or so to confirm it stays activated, after that I'll sell the 5504 if someone wants it, or I can always return it to CC. I might keep it and have 2, but I don't really need it. I already have a MyHD, and 3 VCR's besides the 5040. :) Anybody in the Orange County, CA area wants a 5504, send me a PM. :)
VCR:confused: What's that? :p If anybody told me that I would get a deal like this from a RadioShack I would've told them they were insane.

-Rob
post #198 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:32 PM

Someone I know.. bought three units today...
1) Ordered 5504 from Amazon/Office Depot $124.95 + 15 S&H + Tax
2) Picked up 5504 on Circuit City walk-in (last in store, green-stickered). $149.99
3) Called Radio Shack, put last (5040, demo) on hold. Bought after work $149.99

Installed the Radio Shack unit; disabled demo mode, shows activated, one-time fee paid. Had yellow stickers stating activation was required at cost.

Update: Received cancellation email from Amazon on behalf of Office Depot. Buyer did not initiate this cancellation.

The Other Glenn
post #199 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Markz2k
I'll wait a week or so to confirm it stays activated
If DNNA turns off a single activation from this debacle, they're going to face a big fight from their biggest supporters. If it's activated, it had better stay that way.
post #200 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 08:36 PM

I just got back from CC. I wanted to see it with my eyes before buying and therefore did not buy it online before going.

There was a sign on the display model saying that CC did a mistake and explaining the new price structure (all RTV need monthly fee or one-time-paid lifetime subscription). On top of that, they were out of the 5504 and had only 5508 ones. So as it does not really make sense to have a seconf RTV in our apartment, I just passed this time and will just wait for the next gen.

BLNT

PS: There was a huge pile of Tivo there in the middle of the lane and only a few RTV in a corner :(
post #201 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't make sense? Last tuesday I had FOUR things to record at the same time! :D
post #202 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm I have a friend who got a 5040 from Radio Shack who is saying his isn't activated. This is the first one from RadioShack I've heard of that wasn't. It the System Information it says the grace period ends 12/22

-Rob
post #203 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:08 PM

Think these units are 'good to go'? Or should we expect it to kick us in the butt in a few days?

-Don
post #204 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:15 PM

Well, I've got mine up and running. Downloaded the latest SW via Ethernet - do Replay's not need to reboot the way TiVo's do?

The unit never asked about Activation, but it is listed as 'Not Yet Registered' under the Sys Info. screen - that means I'm activated, right?

The Ethernet connection is temporary at the moment (stole the cable from the wife's computer :eek: ), and I can't seem to connect via telephone. On the 'fastest speed possible' setting it just never picks up, I saw a suggestion to slow it down to 14.4, but I got 'Unexpected result code (842e000a).....any idea what the problem is?
Yeah, I know, I should do a search, and I will in the morning if this is ignored.
Feel free to flame me the way the most militant TiVolutionaries would over on that forum.
I usually know better, but it's been a long day.

Thanks.
post #205 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

5040 at Ratshack for $149.

Unit was in demo mode. (382 Zones)
After updating the software and rebooting, it now says "one time fee paid"

I guess I'm getting a newer generation before I planned. :)
post #206 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Crink, if I remember correctly, changing modem speed is more of a placebo than actually doing anything. If you've got more than one thing not working right, a 382-zones maybe in order (depending on how far you have gotten).

Bob
post #207 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:23 PM

So my big question is, now that I have my activated "Shack" 5040, should I register it online? Would that mess up the 3year activation already set in the unit? Anyone do that yet?
post #208 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:25 PM

Only got the setup stuff done, no shows recorded yet, but I should get one tonight and one tomorrow.
No big deal, getting them on the TiVo as well.
382 Zones will do the full system reset, right?...may as well give it a try.
Thank you for your response.
post #209 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:51 PM

On my Radio shack 5040 I get this message under Setup->service activation

"Thank you for choosing ReplayTV! To enjoy uninterrupted TV viewing, be sure to activate your ReplayTV Service today. You can choose between a one-time fee or a monthly payment plan.

To activate your ReplayTV Service visit our Web site at www.replaytv.com"

So I'm hosed, right?!? No free service for me?! Any ideas before I return it?!
post #210 of 443 Old 12-17-2003, 09:56 PM

whats the difference between activation and registration?
got the CC 5504 and hooked it up, tested recording, no problems..
but didnt get any activation screen or any one time fee paid screen

i dont have an activation screen under setup.. but I do have a registration screen

and of course, in the system info, it says its not registered.. but really, that isnt necessary.. is it? it says register to receive software updates and all.. but its already pushed some down, as well as several other messages.

maybe Im use to the PC world.. but in my mind, activation = required, registration = suggested.. is this the same with the replaytv?
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page