Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm stumped.

A ham doesn't taste like pork chops, but that doesn't mean it's rhinoceros.

Knowing is half the battle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
I'm stumped.
Makes for a good topic of discussion doesn't it?
post #183 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
This cat and mouse thing is dumb, getting put on the spot and asked to figure it out is getting me hooked.
Infectious isn't it..?
post #184 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 09:52 AM

I have downloaded a couple 5000 image files. Which one should I use?

5040_530510190.zip

OR

rtv5040_110.zip

Thanks!
post #185 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vivarey
I have downloaded a couple 5000 image files. Which one should I use?

5040_530510190.zip

OR

rtv5040_110.zip

Thanks!
I used this one: 5040_530510190.zip and it worked fine...
post #186 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I used the 110 one and it worked for me. PM if you need any help.
post #187 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 10:08 AM

So I guess you can use either :)
post #188 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 10:21 AM

Thanks guys- I'll just flip a coin then ;)
post #189 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 10:51 AM

Looks like 5040_530510190.zip should be the current version. The 110 is older and more likely to trigger an upgrade which may cause you to lose the features you seek.
post #190 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JenEric
Looks like 5040_530510190.zip should be the current version. The 110 is older and more likely to trigger an upgrade which may cause you to lose the features you seek.
I loaded 110 on a 8GB drive (just testing...) and it worked fine.

I loaded 110 on a 250GB drive, the Replay would boot, but then hang immediately.

I then put the 190 version on the 250GB drive and everything was A-OK.

Just FYI... Your mileage may vary...
post #191 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info - I'll probably do the next one with that image. Unless, of course someone figures out/decides to share the "other way" and save me the trouble...hah

Mine hung on 110 on the original boot with the network cable plugged in. After I unplugged it, I had no trouble.

Just noticed the size of the drives in the previous post. I installed an 80GB, FWIW.
post #192 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
So about the configuration, it seems the files are generated by the software (i'd guess off the SN).

Looks like if you push a horse (or cow) hard enough to water they may just drink.

So now you guys know what the changes are. Too bad there's no way to make the changes on the 5500... As jred stated earlier, the image is the way to go for now.

Your settings shouldn't be lost on a software upgrade. I don't think the software upgrade should have any negative effect on anything done with an imaged drive.
post #193 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
So now you guys know what the changes are. Too bad there's no way to make the changes on the 5500... As jred stated earlier, the image is the way to go for now.
...But apparently there IS a way to make these changes, I thought that was what the whole secret society was talking about.
post #194 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scootss
...But apparently there IS a way to make these changes, I thought that was what the whole secret society was talking about.
Exactly. The cryptic suggestions were there that most cerainly implied making the change without opening the box.
post #195 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

wow, this is thread is just crazy now. I think there probably is a way without opening the box, but I dont think anyone here actaully knows how to do it, but are impling it is possible to stimulate others to figure it out. Oh btw, thank you cow for the praise, much appreciated. And everyone else, its best to leave the network cable unplugged on startup like I unfortunately have to do on my unit because it will hang on restart until the cable is unplugged and then it'll finish startup. This is not on a hacked unit btw. I dont know, but when I have the ReplayTV connected to my Mac which is using Internet Sharing on OS X Panther, the Replay will not accept an address via DHCP, but other devices will. It will accept a DHCP address if connected to my router directly. This was the case with my original Replay that was returned and my current Replay. The reason I have it connected to my mac is because my G4 is connected wirelessly to the router in the other room and I dont want to move the router because the PC in the other does not currently have wirelesss. So having the Mac share the internet was the easiest solution without buying more wireless equipment. It also gives me a direct 100Mbps connection with the Replay so I can stream easily from DVArchive. I just wish the DHCP issue will be fixed with either OSX or RTV. Even with the RTV set to manual address, which it is because that was the only way to get it to work, it still will hang on a reboot until the network cable is unplugged because there is still the DHCP server enabled and it seems to want to try endlessly to get an address.
post #196 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 01:18 PM

Here's my take:
Hypothetically if a person could change their serial number in the firmware (I'm assuming) the software would think you had a 5040 instead of a 5504 and give you all of the features associated.

In theory a person could change their serial number without opening the box - but don't ask me because I wouldn't know how. When connecting to the mother ship, the mother ship doesn't check your serial number so it could care less if it's correct or not.

Upgrading software on the other hand would need to check your SN to know which features to enable and disable. A factory reset would reset the unit back to default settings and part of that check would be to make sure your unit is reporting it's serial number properly.

Aside from the obvious question of "how" to do it I also wonder if a person could successfully clone a 5040 SN to their 5504 and if they could then what would that mean for activation? If I have a lifetime activated serial number and I... crap, the black helicopters are here, gotta go!

(the implications of this thread grow with each passing post. I only hope it is not already to late)
post #197 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

My question is, at what step and where is the determination made that a unit is a 55xx or a 50xx?

If during activation they associate a model number with your serial number and push the appropriate file, then changing the model number with RTV would do it, since it would then push the 5040 file. But, would the serial number come up as invalid if prepended with the incorrect model number.

But, if the mothership checks during a sofware upgrade or a system reset, then only the drive image method would work (or changing the config file method). In either case, I wuld think you'd have to open up the system. Otherwise I don't know how you would get those config files and modify them.

The secret society elders have been quite silent as to the non-invasve approach to this. It must be the prime directive kicking in.
post #198 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

GooberedUp,
He's TrYing to get your goat. Thats the whole point. But it's not working with me, my goat friend is sitting beside me as safe as ever behind a passenger seat airbag. I guess I should get off the internet since I'm the one driving. So to speak.

I think everyone is going over the top now. At one point Jeff D said any bozo could figure it out, and whats his name smart guy said he wasn't a bozo. This tells me two things: It isn't a firmware mod because bozos always have better things to do. And the self-proclaimed non-bozo smart guy was the one to figure it out.

My interpretation was that at this point the case does have to be opened to change the serial number in a text file on the harddrive (or whatever) unless a DVArchive type program will let you rove through the replayTVs system directories and move files back and forth. If there's a program that does this I haven't been paying attention.

short version of my understandings:
>doesn't require firmware mod (didn't he say it required the change of two lines of text)
>Box has to be opened

cow
post #199 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

GooberedUp,
He's TrYing to get your goat. Thats the whole point. But it's not working with me, my goat friend is sitting beside me as safe as ever behind a passenger seat airbag. I guess I should get off the internet since I'm the one driving. So to speak.

I think everyone is going over the top now. At one point Jeff D said any bozo could figure it out, and whats his name smart guy(EDIT: j.m.) said he wasn't a bozo. This tells me two things: It isn't a firmware mod because bozos always have better things to do. And the self-proclaimed non-bozo smart guy was the one to figure it out.

My interpretation was that at this point the case does have to be opened to change the serial number in a text file on the harddrive (or whatever) unless a DVArchive type program will let you rove through the replayTVs system directories and move files back and forth. If there's a program that does this I haven't been paying attention.

>doesn't require firmware mod (didn't he say it required the change of two lines of text)
>Box has to be opened

cow
post #200 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 02:08 PM

If indeed, it is a text file/ini file/some file that has to be changed, then a link was posted eralier today that might help...

I believe it was from twiki (I'd repost if I wasn't on my way out the door), but it looks like there are ways to hack the HTTP stream and/or FTP into your replay, which would allow you to find and modify the file.

...This is the way xbox hacking is done, get FTP running and you're pretty much set.
post #201 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
GooberedUp,

I think everyone is going over the top now. At one point Jeff D said any bozo could figure it out, and whats his name smart guy(EDIT: j.m.) said he wasn't a bozo. This tells me two things: It isn't a firmware mod because bozos always have better things to do. And the self-proclaimed non-bozo smart guy was the one to figure it out.

>Box has to be opened

cow
Well, I was going to try to see if I could get the model number changed with RTV, but it may not be worth it. I have a pair of 5040s, so I'll just stick with them.

If he was trying to get my goat with all of that . . . geek loser is all I can say. My apologies for stuffing people like you in lockers in high school.

Thanks cow, you saved me some wasted effort.
post #202 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scootss
If indeed, it is a text file/ini file/some file that has to be changed, then a link was posted eralier today that might help...

I believe it was from twiki (I'd repost if I wasn't on my way out the door), but it looks like there are ways to hack the HTTP stream and/or FTP into your replay, which would allow you to find and modify the file.

...This is the way xbox hacking is done, get FTP running and you're pretty much set.
I've done zero research on this but I think this is exactly correct. The mothership has the power to load new software and firmware onto your box (via HTTP if I'm not mistaken). Therefore if you were to interact with your box as if you were the mothership and do a firmware and/or software update, you can downgrade(?) to a 5xxx without opening your box.

That's pure hardware engineer speculation...like I said before, I've yet to research this.
post #203 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys went from hot to cold in a matter of hours.

Attempting to change your Firmware won't do it. (Well it may, but that's not what's been done)

For those of you that missed it earlier... it appears that the factory reset generates the default configuration files from the code. In other words it generates this file on the fly based off the SN. (This is just a guess, but since there's no network traffic and the configuration isn't stored elsewhere on the disk this makes sense.

After the "default" configuration (which IVS and CA seem to be a part of) is done the machine reboots and connects to the server on setup. If during setup anything else was needed it could be set.

The mothership has the ability to do just about anything it wants to your box. You can disable any firmware updates by pulling pin 32 and wiring it to 5v. (If memory serves correctly)
post #204 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 02:53 PM

I hope I'm not being dense... being my first time posting here and all.
Couldn't you just use rtv_extract to pull the software software.reg file and then alter the appropriate lines (CommercialSkipEnabled & InternetEnabled)?
post #205 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

csomicg, welcome and good first post. The only problem is you can't write these files back to the drive....
post #206 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
But the challenge is to find a way to "spoof" these settings without opening the box. It probably can be done via DNS proxy (ala Wirns).

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #207 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 02:58 PM

I haven't worked with rtv_extract at all, but according to the documentation you can use the -w switch to replace a file with a local file. Does this not work?
post #208 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 03:13 PM

Or for that matter, could you use RnsProxy to run shell commands:

regedit setval Software/Apps/DefaultPlayback CommercialSkipEnabled 1
&
regedit setval Software/Apps/Internet InternetEnabled 1

Again, I haven't tried tried this, but it sure seems like it would work, and you wouldn't have to open the box, either.

Edit:
On review, what moyekj said.

[Edit]Notice: These are not the actual commands needed to enable CA and IVS. Using them may have serious consequences. Please read the rest of the thread and follow any linked discussions if you intend to attempt this change.
post #209 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cosmicg
Or for that matter, could you use RnsProxy to run shell commands:

regedit setval Software/Apps/DefaultPlayback CommercialSkipEnabled 1
&
regedit setval Software/Apps/Internet InternetEnabled 1

Again, I haven't tried tried this, but it sure seems like it would work, and you wouldn't have to open the box, either.

Edit:
On review, what moyekj said.
For that matte you could use the command entry box on the 243 zones screen to ener the 'magic code.'

It worked for diskspindown right?
post #210 of 279 Old 02-18-2004, 03:28 PM

I haven't been around long enough to catch wind of the magic code or diskspindown...

And just to prevent unnecessary Replay damage: I haven't tried the above commands and I'm pretty sure I'm actually pretty sure I missed a level or two of the registry in each of them.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page