5504 with Commercial Advance!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I've been having problems with my new 5504 that it was constantly crashing. I went out and got a 160 gig drive and put it in there and put the image from online of a 5040 because I thought that maybe it could be the OS on the drive also that got screwed up when updating. Well now its all updated again with the new drive, and I now have Commercial Advance and Internet Sharing as options on it, dispite what people said here that it should know its a 5504 and not show those options. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Woo hoo.

A ham doesn't taste like pork chops, but that doesn't mean it's rhinoceros.

Knowing is half the battle.
post #3 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

I'd be interested to know if the unit reverts back to crippled mode after a few net connects.

If Necessity is the mother of invention, then Laziness is surely the father.

5040(1): 00004-54831-55585
5040(2): 00004-54831-83297
post #4 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 07:31 PM

This is good news indeed. I wonder if the IVS will also work? Its actually good news for Replay if we can make 5000's out of 5500's. I will consider purchasing a 5500 if needing another unit.
post #5 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Shhhhh, this could shut down hacking units. Remember Tivo recently shut down sites that offered images. SHHHHHHHH!

This space for rent.
post #6 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradbomb
Well, I've been having problems with my new 5504 that it was constantly crashing. I went out and got a 160 gig drive and put it in there and put the image from online of a 5040 because I thought that maybe it could be the OS on the drive also that got screwed up when updating. Well now its all updated again with the new drive, and I now have Commercial Advance and Internet Sharing as options on it, dispite what people said here that it should know its a 5504 and not show those options. Any thoughts?
Well, some of us have identified what appears to be the method DNNA uses to enable/disable CA and IVS in the software depending on whether the unit is a 5xxx or 55xx. Hint: it occurs during the nightly net connect. Therefore, I suspect that once your unit makes its first connection to the RTV mothership, you will find that you no longer have these features. I and others believe that it is possible to get around this, but this is an exercise left to the reader.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #7 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Its made multiple force connects plus software updates
post #8 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

last update, features disapper if you reset the unit to factory defaults after putting on the image.
post #9 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Well, for now at least, it appears that it would be even easier than I thought to turn these features back on and (more interestingly) keep them on, without even opening the RTV at all. However, this is something that I'm not altogether sure should/will be done, for obvious reasons.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #10 of 279 Old 12-29-2003, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Side note, my unit is going back to Circuit City. I got this on that "sale" and have been having constant crashes on the unit. The unit was still activated without any message to or not to activate since connected on the 17th, but the unit would constantly freeze, get stuck and have MPEG errors and I thought it was the HD and system OS. Since I didnt want to flag the unit by a CSR and have him ask for proof to keep activation, I decided to get a bigger HD anyways since they had rebates on them. New HD, new image, same problems, unit is bad. Gonna return it and the HD I bought and to hell with this. I know this is not the norm because I have friends who have had replays and love them, I just cant deal with these problems and I dont want to argue if I end up getting shut down on service. I dont think a PVR should have all those costs, but I have returning as an option to get my money back. Warranty sticker still intact because they dont really stick them on period.
post #11 of 279 Old 01-01-2004, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
Interesting. Well, for now at least, it appears that it would be even easier than I thought to turn these features back on and (more interestingly) keep them on, without even opening the RTV at all. However, this is something that I'm not altogether sure should/will be done, for obvious reasons.
I'm curious about this. Would there be legal implications for ReplayTV should we decide to hack our 55xx's to enable CA and IVS?

Once we start talking about upgrading hard drives, I know the warrnty is void. Wouldn't hacking the 55xx's to enable CA and IVS be similar to us deciding to use the hacks that disable Macrovision on the Showstoppers?
post #12 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 09:07 AM

so is it true does the channel advace disappear after a few updates?
post #13 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

On that unit before I returned it due to other problems, the COmmercial Advance stayed on it until I did a factory reset with 3-8-2 zones. Until then, even after connecting to the mothership, it kept the feature.
post #14 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 09:18 AM

i noticed two images for upgrading the 5504, which one did you use? im sorry i dont remember the names.
post #15 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by telamon
I'm curious about this. Would there be legal implications for ReplayTV should we decide to hack our 55xx's to enable CA and IVS?
If there were any legal implications, they would probably have to disable CA and IVS on older boxes as well. I'm positive they don't want that to happen. Look at how much they pushed Show|Nav when they realized that Automatic Commercial Advance was a legal albatross.
Quote:

Once we start talking about upgrading hard drives, I know the warrnty is void. Wouldn't hacking the 55xx's to enable CA and IVS be similar to us deciding to use the hacks that disable Macrovision on the Showstoppers?
ReplayTV has shown in the past that they prefer to look the other way when it comes to hacking their boxes. True, your warranty will be void, but it has led to innovations that have made the Replay a more valuable box.

Tim
post #16 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I dont remember which image, I just know it was a 5040 image.
post #17 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Here is how:

Get an updated 5040 image file (in my case, I have a 5040 with updated software, and I made an image), load it to your 5504 box. The menu will show up with commercial advance option and your IVS ID. Tested both functions successfully. Even after forced and nightly connects, the functionalities are not lost.

Enjoy.
post #18 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Wowsers... have to watch to see what happens with this. I'm interested in trying it with my 5504.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #19 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

While this sounds like good news to 55xx owners, it could backfire.

The whole point of 55xx series boxes was the removal of these features for legal reasons. They left them active in the previous models, but there is always the possibility of removing those features in the future for ALL models.

Let's just hope this doesn't force DNNA to remove these features in future releases to avoid any lawsuits.

Then we all lose.

--Andy--
post #20 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 PM

Thanks,

I am greatful for the info and it may even result in DNNA selling another RTV to me (at full price). But I can't help but think that this information would have been better off sent via PM to interested parties. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I would hate to lose the one feature that, to me, makes the 5040 superior to all other PVRs on the market (AKA Tivo). That said, I can't wait to try it myself.

Tom
post #21 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Reminds me a lot of the police scanner law regarding analog police scanners, where the government wanted to prevent monitoring of the 900Mhz analog frequency. So, they made laws that the 900Mhz frequency range had to be omitted during the channel scans. Well, the manufacturers ended up making a very simple mod inside, which was easily undone. In the case of my RS unit, all I had to do was snip a simple jumper. Then, the laws stated that they wouldn't allow easily modified units to be sold. At that point, then, the manufacturers eliminated the jumpers by modifying the tuner chips.

In this case, I wouldn't doubt that eventually they will disallow such simple modification/acitivation. But, probably only for future purchasers/modifiers.
post #22 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe a good idea for the mods to make this thread dissapear before too many eyes get to see it??
post #23 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 12:48 PM

I don't think legally anyone can blame DNNA for this. It's not like DNNA announced the ability for 55xx people to do this. This procedure, would deter the great majority of the RTV users out there, IMO. Unless this news gets on AP or something, I doubt the "legal people" out there would know.
post #24 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GooberedUp
Reminds me a lot of the police scanner law regarding analog police scanners, where the government wanted to prevent monitoring of the 900Mhz analog frequency. So, they made laws that the 900Mhz frequency range had to be omitted during the channel scans. Well, the manufacturers ended up making a very simple mod inside, which was easily undone. In the case of my RS unit, all I had to do was snip a simple jumper. Then, the laws stated that they wouldn't allow easily modified units to be sold. At that point, then, the manufacturers eliminated the jumpers by modifying the tuner chips.
Actually it was 800MHz Analog Cellular...and its the ECPA (Electronic Communications Privacy Act).

And it was more lawyers than government...after all lawyers didn't like the idea that anybody could listen in on them using their cell phones.

The government is allowed to buy the scanners that can receive cellular.

The Dreamer

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #25 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy
Maybe a good idea for the mods to make this thread dissapear before too many eyes get to see it??
Like after 1320 views this info could be pushed back under the rug........Not likely :p

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #26 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
Actually it was 800MHz Analog Cellular...and its the ECPA (Electronic Communications Privacy Act).

And it was more lawyers than government...after all lawyers didn't like the idea that anybody could listen in on them using their cell phones.

Right, and the stupid thing about this was, it was all pretty irrelevant rather quickly as cellular evolved into digital, so these analog scanners aren't even a real privacy concern. But it mattered not to the lawmakers.

"Manuals? What manuals? We don't need no stinkin' manuals!!"
post #27 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudy
Censorship is always the best answer.

Have a nice day, GizmoZilla
post #28 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 07:34 PM

I thought that the IVS ID was generated somehow based on the serial number, I didn't expect 55xx units to get a functioning ID. In any case it would be trivial for DNNA to make id lookups not work for 55xx units. Even if so, having CA would be nice. I also thought this had been tried in the past and went away with a phone home. Hmm.

Have a nice day, GizmoZilla
post #29 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by bayexplorer
Here is how:

Get an updated 5040 image file (in my case, I have a 5040 with updated software, and I made an image), load it to your 5504 box. The menu will show up with commercial advance option and your IVS ID. Tested both functions successfully. Even after forced and nightly connects, the functionalities are not lost.

Enjoy.
I suspect next time there is a software update, it will download the 5500 version based on your serial number.

I suspect at that point all you would have to do is get the image of the newest 50xx software and be good again.

I'm wondering if the IVS ID you used was unique or if there was a chance you highjacked someone elses 50xx ID number.

I'm guessing the 50xx software simply looks at the mac on the network card and generates the same IVS ID every time. But, DNNA may have not assured that 55xx network card mac numbers did not conflict with 50xx network card mac numbers since 55XXs aren't supposed to have a IVS ID anyway.

Probably too many Mac numbers to even run into a conflict. I'm not sure how the manufactures how to serialize the mac numbers on network cards.

cow
post #30 of 279 Old 01-09-2004, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer

The Dreamer
Right, it was the 800-900 Mhz frequency range. It's been a long time since I used or though about this.

I didn't know lawyers precipitated the act (ironic . . . ). But I suppose it makes sense since the statute says that even if you listen in, you can't disclose to others what you heard.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page