The ONE SINGLE ReplayTV / $149 Activation Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 466 Old 01-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've registered for warranty at www.replaytv.com/registration, but after netconnect, my unit still says "not registered" under system info. If I go to the activation page and enter my system key, it tries to sells me activation. Seems like my unit isn't activated at all? I bought my unit on Dec 18 from compusa.. i guess i gotta call DNNA tomm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 466 Old 01-04-2004, 10:23 PM

Liked: 10
Also, when it says registered does that really mean activated?

Also, if one does not register in any manner, that unit would state activated where others.mine say registered?
post #183 of 466 Old 01-04-2004, 11:12 PM

Assuming we're talking about 55xx units, I think this is how it goes.

The 55xx line was supposed to be activated already out of the box originally. On 12/21 sometime in the evening EST, RTV changed their activation system to tell 55xx units that they were NOT already activated out of the box on first net connect.

So 55xx units net connected for the first time before the activation system change on 12/21 will either say Registered or Not Registered. Since these boxes were connected under the old pricing model, they didn't have a concept of being un-activated.

55xx units connected after the activation system change (new price model) are NOT activated and will show a grace period after initial net connect. Once they are activated, they show "Activated (one-time fee paid)". I'm guessing that once you register for MyReplayTV, they change to Registered and that you CANNOT register for MyReplayTV without first being activated.

Someone holler if I'm wrong.
post #184 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, neither of my 5040s (which predate the fiasco) say "Registered" in System Information. Where does it show up when it does--as "Service: Registered"? Mine both say "Service: Activated (one-time fee paid)." Moreover, both of these units ARE registered with MyReplayTV (you can verify MyReplayTV registration by looking at the info in 411-zones). However, neither are registered on the product warranty page. It is possible that if they were it might say "Service: Registered" instead, but I'm not sure.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #185 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 05:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Crrink
I don't understand the point of guestimating, though. What does it matter to us if the loss is $5 or $5 billion?
a few things can happen depending on the significance of the losses.

if it is $5, you know that 1) rptv will ikely to cave in and 2) they can survive such a "blow";

if it is $5billion, you know that 1) rptv will fight like hell for it and 2) if they cave in, they cannot survive it -> we all are doomed.

those are pretty important things to know, right?
post #186 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 06:11 AM

Those would be good things to know, yes, but since we have no hard information, they are essentially unknowable to us.

The other important thing we don't know is D&M/DNNA's commitment to keeping the Replay line ongoing. If it's strong, there's a better chance that DNNA will do the right thing. If it's not, who knows what they'll do?

Again, it's not knowable to us. Speculation is fine, but why argue about it?
:)
post #187 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by millwood
a few things can happen depending on the significance of the losses.

if it is $5, you know that 1) rptv will ikely to cave in and 2) they can survive such a "blow";

if it is $5billion, you know that 1) rptv will fight like hell for it and 2) if they cave in, they cannot survive it -> we all are doomed.

those are pretty important things to know, right?
Sure if the numbers were on one extreme or the other then it would be nice to know but I'd guess it isnt so black and white, but somewhere in the grey.

I'm sure there are upper and lower loss thresholds which would doom rptv and be too insignificant for them to care, respectively. Since we don't know what those upper and lower limits are, even if you did get a reasonable estimate of the loss you still wouldn't know what it means to the company. Still its fun to speculate.
post #188 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 06:21 AM

On the FW thread someone posted a link to a D&M Holdings Powerpoint presentation from September. If memory serves me correctly it included a new either Marantz or Denon AV component that was both a receiver, amp and PVR.
IF they follow through with introducing a product like this, they would have to continue the Replay service for those machines and others. So while RTV may not continue in the way that we know it now, I don't forsee D&M erasing it and its service completely.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
post #189 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jodeus
On the FW thread someone posted a link to a D&M Holdings Powerpoint presentation...
It's been posted and discussed here a few times as well.

http://www.dm-holdings.com/pdf/pdf_648.pdf

It appears that D&M is keeping the ReplayTV in mind, but in the example it's been relegated to the Guest Bedroom. That doesn't make it seem like D&Ms highest priority, expecially since D&M is more accustomed to having higher end/priced products.

Tim
post #190 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
It's been posted and discussed here a few times as well.

http://www.dm-holdings.com/pdf/pdf_648.pdf

It appears that D&M is keeping the ReplayTV in mind, but in the example it's been relegated to the Guest Bedroom. That doesn't make it seem like D&Ms highest priority, expecially since D&M is more accustomed to having higher end/priced products.
I think PVR functionality is one of D&M's priorities, considering its planned Denon "media server" with PVR and PAR (audio) functionality. I'm guessing they're looking at the ReplayTV more as a lower-end video-only unit (or possibly as a thin client), while the high end will be covered by the Denon media client.

D&M identifies back-end service and streaming as two strengths of ReplayTV, so I don't think they will abandon either one of these in their new clients. Which is good news for current Replay owners.
post #191 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

I called ReplayTV customer support today. They created a "case #" for me and just asked that I fax in proof of purchase (dated receipt) along with my service key of my unit. I was told if I had purchased my unit from CompUsa at the $499 price I would have definitely had the 3 year service. But since I bought it at $149 there is confusion and I shouldn't be getting it. But she said they are correcting this and will give me the 3 year service activation.

She also asked me what the "sticker" on the box said. My sticker says "3 year service activation included..... additional months of service available at $0.99 per month...."

That is MUCH cheaper than the $12.99/month that the CSR is telling me. She said that DNNNA is re-evaluating this situation and figuring out what they will be doing about this situation for everyone after the 3 year period.
post #192 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I got two 5540s from Circuit City and held one for a co-worker for a couple weeks. He just tried hooking it up this weekend and had modem troubles and said he spent all day on the phone troubleshooting it only for them to tell him that his phone line was too noisy. In the meantime they also told him that his unit was not activated and it just had a 10 day grace period. I thought that was pretty odd since it had been working any time I checked it for the two weeks that I had it. He was prepared to pay the activation fee, but apparently the modems they use are trash.

Their indecision really disappoints me. I don't expect I'll ever buy another ReplayTV, and I had bought a 3030, 4040 and 5040 before DNNA took over. I also had two friends each buy one on my recommendation. When I found out about the deal on the 17th, I knew there was a chance that this could be a mistake but I figure the worst that could happen would be that I'd have to return them. I definitely didn't expect DNNA to drag it out this long and turn it into such a mess.

-Rob
post #193 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by winter
Still its fun to speculate.
Bingo! It's all in fun.
post #194 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roto
...but apparently the modems they use are trash.
I definitely didn't expect DNNA to drag it out this long and turn it into such a mess.
Did your friend try stepping down the modem speed? That usually works for most people. You need to make sure that the unit has the 5.1 software to insure that the speed settings take properly, though. The modems work just fine for most of the people who use them. Also make sure to try a different dial-in numbers.

As for the indecision, I agree that something should be concrete by now. But seeing as how the previous decision was to not honor the activation, most people who are holding the units should consider the current indecision welcome...

Remember, it's just television...
Planet Replay: http://www.planetreplay.com
Do you VUDU? http://www.planetvudu.com
post #195 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
You need to make sure that the unit has the 5.1 software to insure that the speed settings take properly, though. The modems work just fine for most of the people who use them. Also make sure to try a different dial-in numbers.
Yes, please make sure OPs friend is running 5.1 build 19. There were also
some bad overnight lockup problems with the earlier software when using
modem which were fixed.
post #196 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
It appears that D&M is keeping the ReplayTV in mind, but in the example it's been relegated to the Guest Bedroom.

Tim
that doesn't bode well for us.

One huge leverage against rptv in this whole fiasco is the retailers. As long as rptv needs to distribute its products through CC/CUSA or RS, they have an incentive to make their customers (us) happy.

If, however, the value of rptv to D&M is so that they can integrate PVRs into their own products (which are distributed large by dealer networks rather than CC/CUSA/RS), RPTV can now afford to piss off those retailers without suffering huge consequencies.
post #197 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 12:21 PM

Question for this thread, I returned my unit I bought on the 17th back to CC because other than the activation worries which were in the back of my head because the unit was still "Registered", the unit itself was broken. It would constantly crash just watching live tv, or playback whatever. It looked to be a faulty MPEG encoder/decoder in my opinion. I know it wasnt the drive because I tried replacing it with another using a fresh ReplayTV image drive from online. Same problems. Everyone on all forums were like you have a lemon to get an RMA and I didnt want to attract attention to my unit and end up getting in a fight for the 3 years because my unit was still running despite the freezes last week and had not been deactivated. If Replay ends up giving service to those people who still have their units, should I call them up and be like, you had told me to pay extra for activation or return the unit and now you have changed your stance on the issue, I should be allowed to repurchace a unit. If they said no, I wouldnt try to fight it. Also, since I also have pictures of my original unit's box and still have my Circuit City Receipt, would buying a unit now again also be a solution?
post #198 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradbomb
I call them up and be like, you had told me to pay extra for activation or return the unit and now you have changed your stance on the issue, I should be allowed to repurchace a unit. If they said no, I wouldnt try to fight it. Also, since I also have pictures of my original unit's box and still have my Circuit City Receipt, would buying a unit now again also be a solution?
You asked :p

I think you should be SOL. You could have taken it back an got another as a replacement.

You had a choice.
1 Return for refund
2 Return unit for a new unit.
3) RMA it to DNNA for repair.

You pick option #1 Live with it. Don't try to jump back on the mistaken price deal bandwagon now that you see DNNA might cave-in SOL

you asked

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #199 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is anyone able to corroborate the information below?

--

Ohboy1 from FW said:

<< IMPORTANT UPDATE ON REPLAYTV HONORING SERVICE OBLIGATION

I just spoke to Chuck Ladow, the head of ReplayTV's customer service department. He advised that a press release will be issued today and will be posted on their website later this week addressing the service activation issue.

ReplayTV has decided to honor whatever service activations are printed on the box.

All units in the stores now are supposed to have revised stickers. Mr. Ladow didn't go into the type of proof that would be required although he said if I needed my service activated I was to fax a copy of my receipt to CS ( I did't follow up on this as my service had been activated by someone else in CS and Mr. Ladow said as long as I was working I wouldn't be deactivated). I don't know if there will be a date cut off or not but it appears that ReplayTV will be honoring what is on the box. >>
post #200 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard anything official, but I have heard from customers in the last 24 hours who have said this is what they were being told. This also jibes with the unofficial rumblings I heard towards the end of last week....

Working on official confirmation now...

Remember, it's just television...
Planet Replay: http://www.planetreplay.com
Do you VUDU? http://www.planetvudu.com
post #201 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Wow! So if I can still find a green sticker box...?

This space for rent.
post #202 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 09:18 PM

hopefully this will include refunds for those of us who reluctantly paid anyway even though the box said it was included.
Since all my xmas boxes were thrown away i assume they can tell from the serial # that it was one of the affected players.

Jeff
post #203 of 466 Old 01-05-2004, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffp3456
Since all my xmas boxes were thrown away...
I'm not trying to be snide, but why on Earth would you do that with the uncertainty surrounding this entire situation???
post #204 of 466 Old 01-06-2004, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I think DNNA buckeld under the understanding that the consumer isn't responsible for the screw up. That someone must take blame for the screwup and the only real place to point the finger is at the source of the change. The rest of the changes are basically a violation of an agreement between the manufacture and the consumer as stated on the box.

Blah blah blah... we've been down this road before. But I'm glad to hear they are correcting any problem.

I'm really curious what the total number of units that sold at this price was.

Justin, still no offical word on Jim? You never responed to page two question about the reported "new" pres of DNNA.
post #205 of 466 Old 01-06-2004, 01:03 AM

This was on DNNA's website....

The company is aware that after a December 16, 2003 price change on the ReplayTV 5500 Series DVRs, some retail outlets sold products that were mistakenly labeled on the outside of the box to indicate that 3 years of service was included in the price of the product. In addition, in a few cases, the company's call center inadvertently told some customers that the new price did include 3 years of service. For those customers who were confused by these mistakes, the company will provide three years of free service. ReplayTV will work with customers to verify mistakenly labeled product by retailer and date of purchase through product serial numbers and receipts. ReplayTV will use its call center records to identify those customers who contacted the call center and received incorrect information.

ReplayTV regrets any pricing confusion that resulted from labeling inconsistencies during the holiday season.
post #206 of 466 Old 01-06-2004, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by choli0090
"...ReplayTV will use its call center records to identify those customers who contacted the call center and received incorrect information...."
this is a nightmare waiting to happen. I can just see it now.

SOL Customer: "But I bought my replay on December 19th, 2003 and was told in store that it included 3 year service. The box even has a green sticker."

CSR: "did you call the call center and get told it would include the service at the price you paid?"

SC: "uh.... no... but I didn't know I had to call the call center..."

<use your imagination>
post #207 of 466 Old 01-06-2004, 02:48 AM

I believe ReplayTV lawyers & management will satisfy only clearest cases here. This should weaken any class action lawsuit (since they have eliminated the strongest positions). I am not going to send further information to ReplayTV until they provide formal documentation of their positions.

...I am quite glad I called ReplayTV on 17th and keep documentation:)

Steve
post #208 of 466 Old 01-06-2004, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by choli0090
This was on DNNA's website....

The company is aware that after a December 16, 2003 price change on the ReplayTV 5500 Series DVRs, some retail outlets sold products that were mistakenly labeled on the outside of the box to indicate that 3 years of service was included in the price of the product. In addition, in a few cases, the company's call center inadvertently told some customers that the new price did include 3 years of service. For those customers who were confused by these mistakes, the company will provide three years of free service. ReplayTV will work with customers to verify mistakenly labeled product by retailer and date of purchase through product serial numbers and receipts. ReplayTV will use its call center records to identify those customers who contacted the call center and received incorrect information.

ReplayTV regrets any pricing confusion that resulted from labeling inconsistencies during the holiday season.
Does anyone think DNNA has their call center records that togetter that they can track 100's of calls to waco and India to back up this press release ? This is Dnna's customers service centers we are talking about here ;)

choli0090, Good find. sorry about my other post to ya
Read first make fun of someone second :)

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #209 of 466 Old 01-06-2004, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by civy
I believe ReplayTV lawyers & management will satisfy only clearest cases here. This should weaken any class action lawsuit (since they have eliminated the strongest positions). I am not going to send further information to ReplayTV until they provide formal documentation of their positions.

...I am quite glad I called ReplayTV on 17th and keep documentation:)
Well, call center records won't account for those people that called in about activation prior to purchase and didn't even have serial numbers to provide.

So, I think they'll be broadly providing service activation based on purchase date.
post #210 of 466 Old 01-06-2004, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Those that called Replay and have been given a case number should be ok.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page