Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #241 of 256 Old 03-24-2001, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a good idea AspenGuy...

Buy a 2nd ReplayTV and upgrade it to 80 hours. Now you have your 160 hours and 2 units. You don't have to worry about the stability problem and you can record 2 shows at the same time. If you don't want to spend the upgrade money now, you still will have 100 hours with one 80 hr and one 20 hr unit. I think most in this forum will agree that having 2 units is a great idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 256 Old 03-24-2001, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

I upgraded three of these last week and have found the sweet spot is 60 gig "A" drive and a 80 gig "B" drive. So far so good and I must still say thanks to toots and flip flop for your help..

I have been away for a little while has anybody come up with some good brackets for the second drive ? Like for $10 or $15 ? I am still using people's EZ-Bake chamber for mounting the second drive and it works out ok.

------------------
Now if I can just figure out how to pause my work... or fast fwd to the end of the day

Now if I can just figure out how to pause my work... or fast fwd to the end of the day
post #243 of 256 Old 03-24-2001, 11:14 AM

Your welcome Aspenguy. Let us know how the upgrade goes. Still trying to work up the courage myself. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #244 of 256 Old 03-25-2001, 11:32 PM

Well, I’ve unfortunately not had much success so far with my Replay upgrade. Around 60 days ago, I upgraded my 20 hour ReplayTV 2000 unit with a single 80GB Maxtor drive. The patch/clone process had to be repeated a few times before I had a bootable system. After experiencing some initial glitches with recorded shows, I replaced the stock IDE cable with an ATA-66/100 cable. This seemed to have helped at least for the short term.

Over the past 3 weeks, however, I routinely experience the following aberrant behavior when watching recorded programs.

1. At some point during playback, the picture will freeze. At this point, the Replay is non-responsive to all remote control commands. In 10-60 seconds, the playback will continue until the next glitch is experienced.

2. As described above, the unit will hang at some point during playback of a program. In this case, however, the unit will be indefinitely non-responsive and I’ll need to power cycle it. This is a repeatable event and will occur at exactly the same spot in the record program after the Replay has been rebooted.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve run the unit with the cover off to see if it could be heat related but I still have the same problem. I’m on the verge of jumping ship and seeing if my 80GB drive would work in a new DirecTivo.

Thanks,
-- John
post #245 of 256 Old 03-26-2001, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a partial success story on an 80gb Maxtor HD upgrade to a Showstopper 2000 (30 hour) unit. The process was easy and quick (except for having to wait for the low-level format of the new HD which took about 8 hours). Reading through this long thread paid off - it alerted me to mistakes I'm sure I would otherwise have made. Thanks to all of the usual suspects for their input!

The unit is now working flawlessly, except that 48 hours after the upgrade it began to stutter (intermittent clicking sounds that were not the usual HD sounds but that did not seem to affect performance). I assume this is a heat issue, particularly since I put the new HD back in that good old EZ-bake oven. My questions are as follows: If I can stand the noise caused by removing the top of the oven and leaving it off permanently, is it clear that this will be enough to clear up the problem, or will I need to go the next step and add a fan? Alternatively, if I choose to add a fan, is it possible I can leave the Easy-bake cover on permanently so as to avoid a second source of noise?

Also, I have a question for Toots (or anyone else who has an opinion): as a somewhat outspoken critic of the 2-drive upgrade, is your concern related solely to the fact that a 2-drive upgrade modifies the original HD (leaving you with safety net)? Would you still be reluctant for someone to go down this road if he kept the original HD unchanged as a back-up and bought two new HDs?

Alan
post #246 of 256 Old 03-26-2001, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't speak for Toots but I have done two dual drive updates.

1 - I would keep the original drive in a anti-static bag as a backup.
On a 2 drive hack, mirror the original drive and then "bag-it". Then patch the new drive and add a second new one if you like. Some have made a backup of the original's primary partition and then used the original drive for other things, your choice, I'm chicken.

2 - If you are already inside the box, I'd add a fan and dump the EZ-Bake cover, it doesn't muffle that much sound anyway. I did this on both units and have experimented alot with the fans. Mine run luke warm and virtually never skip.

"Beneath the surface of the mud...... there's more mud still.......Surprise" -- CSN
post #247 of 256 Old 03-26-2001, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Ed. I already killed my original 30 GB drive (I reformatted it and put it into my pc as a pc back-up drive), but I still have a virgin showstopper 3000 that I assumed I could use as a backup if I ever ran into problems. (Writing this now, I wonder whether this assumption was valid; if I end up employing my 'backup' at some point in the future, I will have 2 separate machines using the same supposedly unique identifier; at the very least, this would complicate life if I wanted to use MYReplay.com!; is there any way to re-program the identifiers??)

As for the fans, after all your experimentation, what kind of fan did you use and how did you install it?

[This message has been edited by asinshesq (edited 03-26-2001).]

Alan
post #248 of 256 Old 03-26-2001, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

After doing everything wrong that you can doing a 2 drive upgrade,my one saving grace is that I made a backup using a smaller HDD.No matter what I did wrong I could always go back using my backup HDD.Feel free to use the original Replay HDD in the upgrade process just as long as you have your copy in the bag just in case.
In my case without the backup,I would have a paperweight right now.Not only backup the drive but make sure it works fine before moving on to the upgrade process,this will free you up to try anything knowing you can always recover easily.

------------------
Who are you going to believe,me or your lying eyes?

post #249 of 256 Old 03-26-2001, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Seanriddle, that's a relief. Ransome, when you made a backup using a smaller HD, did you in effect use the RTVPatch method to create a new (small) HD that Replay would boot, or did you do something else?

Alan

Alan
post #250 of 256 Old 03-26-2001, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

I used the RTVPatch on a 1gb HDD.Copy the first partition only.Then plug it in to make sure it works just like you original drive at that point you can use the original 20 or 30gb drive in your 2 drive upgrade.Also if the 2 drive upgrade becomes unstable,you can reverse back to a one drive system and use your one biggest drive(in my case the 60gb).

------------------

post #251 of 256 Old 03-27-2001, 01:08 AM

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toots:
I really think the flexibility of multiple units trumps the space of a 167 hour unit.</font>
You make a lot of sense, hmmmm. Maybe 2 units, one of which is turbocharged, but not both.

But 167 hours.... wow! Wouldn't that be something? But I could never get the time to watch that much TV, even on high quality. If I told my friends about 167 hours, they would just roll their eyes, even more than they do now.

------------------

John Hancock
post #252 of 256 Old 03-28-2001, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Tony,

How did you attach the 'right side up' tray to the board so that the HD underneath would ride high enough?

Alan

Alan
post #253 of 256 Old 03-29-2001, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by charlestan:
What can I use a above set-up? I can shelf multiple 80GB to be viewed again at anytime without having to erase some to make more room for new recordings.</font>
The second drive acts as if it is part of (appended to) the second partition of the first drive, so if you removed the second drive you would corrupt the filesystem of your ReplayTV, and it would become unstable. Also, there is no way to control which drive a file gets written to.

If you want to extract a file from a 2-drive system you would have to connect both drives to a PC.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
ps. When I upgraded my 30GB SS to 110GB, I didnot know what OS to format to, so I did not do a disk format for my freah Maxtor 80GB. Will I start to see some trouble later on? So far I am recording way pass the 30GB 1st drive. No apperent trouble.
</font>
The recommended formatting is Maxtor's low-level format option in their diagnostic utility, not to be confused with the high-level filesystem formatting that an OS would do. The low-level format goes through the drive and does a destructive write test of the entire drive, and should map out any bad sectors. You do not want to do a high-level format because this could interfere with the upgrade procedure.

If you don't do this and you have bad sectors on the drive, you could have stability problems later on when the ReplayTV tries to write/read the bad sectors. This wouldn't show up until (1) you have a bad sector, and (2) you reach the point in a recorded program which uses that bad sector.

post #254 of 256 Old 03-29-2001, 08:04 AM

charlestan,

Some other currently discussing the exact same thing that you're inquiring about. External drive box.

Read the entire thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/004162.html

------------------

---------------
Randy Harris
RandyHarris@Techpimp.com

Randy Harris
post #255 of 256 Old 03-29-2001, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

To answer the UDMA question:

UDMA will autonegotiate to the lowest common denominator of the controller and the drive. So if your controller only does 33 (ReplayTV) then this is all you will get. In this particular instance it does no good (and also no harm) to set the drive to 33. However, if you later take this drive out of your Replay and put it in your PC and forget to change it back, you may wonder about this slow drive.

Let me tell you a story about the reason why they would have a setting for this. When I was building my first PC with PIO mode support, the drive I was using and the controller both supported PIO Mode 4 (the fastest). So, they happily autonegotiated everything to that speed. The problem was that my old case routed the IDE cable right next to the power cables coming out of the power supply. As a result, I had slight electrical interference and data corruption. What I really wanted to do was slow the drive down to the safer PIO Mode 3 and try that. Well, guess what? Neither the BIOS nor the drive offered anything but autonegotiate, so I was stuck. What I eventually did was to buy Mr. BIOS (a shareware replacement flash upgrade) and flash that overtop of my Award BIOS. It offered settings to restrict the PIO Mode (Award now offers that option on all versions as well). Anyway, suffice to say that since that time (especially with UDMA modes), the BIOS makers and the drive makers got wise to the fact that the highest autonegotiated speed is not always desired, and so they let you restrict BIOSes and drives to get around this problem.

But, since Replay knows nothing except UDMA 33, the drive will only run at UDMA 33 anyway. So, limiting the drive to 33 makes no difference whatsoever.

Clear?

------------------
PRMan
post #256 of 256 Old 03-29-2001, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it's time to continue this in a new thread, so click here to continue hacking.

------------------
Later,
Rob.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page