post #61 of 191 Old 03-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by labguy

1. How many shows can a single unit send simultaneously?

As many as you want, but you will slow down the upload speed for all, since they are sent simultaneously. I've heard the max is 16 simultaneously. But no one would want to receive from you if you were sending that many at once. To know how fast they would be sent, divide your upload speed by the number of sends. For example if you have an upload speed of 100k, 2 simultaneous uploads would be sent at 50k per, 4 at 25k per, etc.
Quote:

2. How many shows can a single unit receive simultaneously? (I think this is only one, but thought I'd double-check)

Your right, one.

Quote:

3. What happens to the transfer if a show is renamed or its category is changed in the middle of a transfer?

Nothing, it will continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 191 Old 03-04-2004, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cool8man
Millions of people already share shows with Bit Torrent (a lot more than are using this crappy IVS system). Obviously the files that people are sharing aren't in a RTV compatible format right now, so what I'm saying is why not create a Poopli type of database and community to share the RTV extracted files through another sharing method like Bit Torrent. Doing that would open up file sharing to the entire ReplayTV community and not just limit it to 5000/4000 machines.

Poopli is perfect -- for what IVS users need. It makes IVS worthwhile.

No one's stopping anyone from using existing video/file-sharing solutions or creating new ones. And the existence of other methods doesn't negate the value of Poopli to existing IVS users who just want a simple method of occasionally finding and sharing shows. Yes, IVS is limited, but it's also dang simple to setup and use.

As for alternate sharing solutions, I'd like to see someone create a gateway application for enabling IVS-like sharing of DVArchived shows, enabling proxied DVA-to-DVA transfer. ("Proxied" because I wouldn't want DVArchive to include any Internet-transfer code.)
post #63 of 191 Old 03-15-2004, 05:53 AM

I have an SMC router and I think I've found what you're describing in its settings, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Under the NAT option, there's the following three menus: address mapping, virtual server, and special applications.

The first menu has nothing about ports in it. The second asks for: "LAN IP address (168.2.1.x), Protocol Type (UDP/TCP), LAN Port, Public Port, Enable".

I'm guessing this should be it. What should I put in for the public port? It looks like the Poopli test send wants 55555. What should I put in for protocol type and lan port?

Ps I've tried using 100 for LAN Port (total guess), 55555 for public port, and TCP&UDP for protocol. I still get:

ERROR: 111 - Connection refused

Could not connect to Replay using the IP and port listed. Check your network configuration.

Quote:

Originally posted by MaxH
Actually, that is the way it is supposed to be. Your router assigns IP addresses that start with 192.168.x.x to all of YOUR computers and ReplayTVs. These are for the use of your home network only; my home network may (and probably does) duplicate the numbers you use without a problem, since they're only an internal reference, like an apartment number. But your router actually has an "external" IP address (think street address of your "apartment building") that is in a range owned by your ISP, and that's what the IVS Test returns. If that's what you mean by different, then that is OK. You need to assign a port to your ReplayTV (I would use 40801, but just make sure it's over 1234 and less than 65535), then you have to tell your router to forward that port to the 192.168.x.x that shows up in your ReplayTV's settings. So externally, your ReplayTV would be addressed as "external IP: port#", the message is sent to your router because of the "external IP" part, and your router says "OK, this port number gets forwarded to this internal IP".

If your router's manual isn't clear about how to set up port forwarding, I'm sure someone here has a similar or identical router and could talk you through it. Sometimes it's called a NAT Table, for Network Address Translation, which is how the port # gets translated into your internal IP.

post #64 of 191 Old 03-15-2004, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bshor
Ps I've tried using 100 for LAN Port (total guess), 55555 for public port, and TCP&UDP for protocol.

You can't just make up port numbers to put in there. You first must set up IVS on the ReplayTV itself via the "Internet Identity and Address Book" setup menu. As you are doing this, it will ask you for the port number you would like to use for IVS. You should choose something greater than 1024, but it otherwise doesn't matter what number you choose as long as that port isn't being used for anything else (which is unlikely). Then go to your router's virtual server setup, enter the port you specified on the ReplayTV for both LAN and public port, select TCP protocol, and enter the IP address of the ReplayTV. Save the changes and reboot the router if necessary. With luck, IVS should work. However, I should note that some SMC routers seem to have problems with port forwarding--hopefully yours won't.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #65 of 191 Old 03-15-2004, 03:09 PM

Thanks! Looks like I got it. So the LAN Port and Public Port had to be the same number. Testing IVS through Poopli works. So now I'll try getting a show!
post #66 of 191 Old 03-16-2004, 07:46 PM

I think you requested a show from me, now I know why the transfer did not begin earlier. Be sure to send me a second request!
post #67 of 191 Old 03-17-2004, 04:33 AM

Finally got a Poopli show. This works great. The port business should probably be in the FAQ.
post #68 of 191 Old 03-31-2004, 10:57 AM

I was bored yesterday, and happened to get the e-mail saying people needed some shows.

I know IVS is set up properly on my 5040, I have sent friends shows and received shows plenty of times.

So I went through the home page of Poopli and figured I'd just start sending people what they wanted.

Lots of requests for last Sunday's Sopranos. 1st one, can't connect. 2nd one, can't connect. 3rd one can't connect.

Some requests for the last episode of The OC. 1st one can't connect, 2nd same thing.

For each one I clicked "could not connect" on the Poopli window.

So once I requested something and nobody replied (weeks ago). Once I decided for my own amusement to send shows to whoever wanted a show that I had. Not one of them worked, I can only assume everyone's joining Poopli but doesn't know how to set up IVS?

Maybe it'll get better some day.

MC
post #69 of 191 Old 03-31-2004, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

It's possible that IVS was down, it has been down a lot recently...but it's also possible that all the leeches, er, newcomers were requesting Sopranos because they don't get HBO and heard you can get any program you want on Poopi, but didn't bother to read anything about using Poopli or even set up port forwarding. There are a few discussion threads about this on the Poopli forum.

If you PM me what you were looking for, I'll see if I can send it to you. I keep shows for up to a month when I have room.

Psst, I got yer TV shows right here, buddy.
post #70 of 191 Old 03-31-2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MaxH
It's possible that IVS was down, it has been down a lot recently...but it's also possible that all the leeches, er, newcomers were requesting Sopranos because they don't get HBO and heard you can get any program you want on Poopi, but didn't bother to read anything about using Poopli or even set up port forwarding. There are a few discussion threads about this on the Poopli forum.

If you PM me what you were looking for, I'll see if I can send it to you. I keep shows for up to a month when I have room.

Oh no big deal, it wasn't even something I particularly wanted to see. I just went in to the "what shows people have" area, saw something that a few people had, and figured I'd give it a whirl, but nobody replied.

I'd like to support Poopli, but so far it's a bust for me. Whenever I miss a show and forget to record it I just go to "that" yahoo group and ask around.

I just picked up a 160gb drive to upgrade my 5040, and got a 60gb external drive for my PC for DVArchiving, so if Poopli can find a way to keep the noobs under control, I'm in.

MC
post #71 of 191 Old 04-01-2004, 07:25 AM

I also saw all of those people on the main page whose machines were not setup correctly. A few of them had several requests for the same show. I also sent several "could not contact" alerts to them but they never did anything. I feel like sending an email to them saying

"Learn how to use the friggen IVS test on yourself and stop making so many requests after we have notified you that your IVS doesn't work....stop wasting our time!"

Of course the same people continue to make requests as if they are clueless. This has always been a minor problem but this week it was especially bad with at least 6 requests on that page that I could have sent but could not contact them. and no, IVS servers were working fine at the time.

post #72 of 191 Old 04-01-2004, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hover
I also saw all of those people on the main page whose machines were not setup correctly. A few of them had several requests for the same show. I also sent several "could not contact" alerts to them but they never did anything. I feel like sending an email to them saying

"Learn how to use the friggen IVS test on yourself and stop making so many requests after we have notified you that your IVS doesn't work....stop wasting our time!"

Of course the same people continue to make requests as if they are clueless. This has always been a minor problem but this week it was especially bad with at least 6 requests on that page that I could have sent but could not contact them. and no, IVS servers were working fine at the time.

If it isn't already, could this IVS test be added to the FAQ? I didn't know about it. I tested IVS by going to that Yahoo group and sending on of the many "Test clip please" messages

MC

Added: Ok, I found the IVS test on Poopli.com. People should have to pass that test before they can request a show!!!!!
post #73 of 191 Old 04-02-2004, 06:44 AM

It's also a great way to test whether the IVS servers are up or not. If you try testing someone's number and get an "RDDNS" error, then the IVS servers are down.

post #74 of 191 Old 04-02-2004, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Forgive me if this has been answered already, but why are some of the shows in the Poopli database red while others are green? My only possible guess is that the red shows have reached the 15 send limit. I'm assuming that I'm wrong about this, however, because it doesn't make sense that Poopli would even bother to display unsendable shows.
post #75 of 191 Old 04-02-2004, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gweempose
Forgive me if this has been answered already, but why are some of the shows in the Poopli database red while others are green? My only possible guess is that the red shows have reached the 15 send limit. I'm assuming that I'm wrong about this, however, because it doesn't make sense that Poopli would even bother to display unsendable shows.

Red means that unit currently has lots of sends going.

-a
post #76 of 191 Old 04-16-2004, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Searched both Poopli.com FAQ and these, but no answer...I was just wondering whether the 'serial #' field in the Replay Unit Details was required or not, thanks!
post #77 of 191 Old 04-17-2004, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mhargr03
Searched both Poopli.com FAQ and these, but no answer...I was just wondering whether the 'serial #' field in the Replay Unit Details was required or not, thanks!

Required for IVS? No. You only need the unit's ISN.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #78 of 191 Old 04-25-2004, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mhargr03

As mentioned in another post, Poopli only *requires* that you supply your unit's IVS ID so that show senders can add your unit to their address books for sending.

However, if you also wanted to publish your recorded shows to Poopli... as things now stand you would need to register your ReplayTV unit with MyReplayTV.com -- where MyReplayTV.com *does* require the serial number. You wouldn't have to add this serial no. into Poopli, only MyReplayTV.com, but you *would* then have to enter your ReplayTV unit's MyReplayTV.com login info into Poopli.
post #79 of 191 Old 04-25-2004, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much, I'm all set and poopli-ing
post #80 of 191 Old 04-25-2004, 10:01 AM

...although eventually you will need to enter your serial number into poopli once the new poopli updater application comes out. Currently I think only WIRNS users have to input it.

post #81 of 191 Old 04-25-2004, 06:31 PM

I have a strange problem...IVS has worked fine until this morning, now it looks like my Replay can't be contacted. I tried changing my Replay's IP (dynamic and static), resetting the Replay, resetting the router, nothing works. Port forwarding is set up correctly on my Linksys router for the Replay's IP. Anyone know what else could be wrong?

My ID is 00004-54831-63911.
post #82 of 191 Old 04-28-2004, 04:38 AM

i am having the same problems... i have a 5040 and was able to send/receive up until Sunday...

nothing changed on my end/
post #83 of 191 Old 04-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

IVS has been down and up inconsistently the last couple of days.
post #84 of 191 Old 04-29-2004, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by joesc1
IVS has been down and up inconsistently the last couple of days.

The recent problems started on tuesday 04/27/04 at around 10PM CST. If the problems started on sunday then it's probably unrelated to the current IVS problems.

post #85 of 191 Old 04-29-2004, 07:05 AM

Seems Like Everything Has Been Cleared Up...
post #86 of 191 Old 04-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Hover
The recent problems started on tuesday 04/27/04 at around 10PM CST. If the problems started on sunday then it's probably unrelated to the current IVS problems.

I don't know about unrelated, it might be the same person who keeps tripping over the server's power cord.

Seriously, what could possibly cause them to have such long outages so frequently. Do we need to scrounge around and donate a UPS and a tape backup that one of us no longer needs??

Psst, I got yer TV shows right here, buddy.
post #87 of 191 Old 05-02-2004, 11:42 PM
z3n

I've read the FAQ and this entire thread...

ASQ: What menu is this received tab on my RPTV 5040? or will something pop up to accept a show request?

Sorry, really tired and I know this is stupid... any help?

+==============+
updated: (sigh) Found it... if anyone else has this question, after you get the IVS test to pass, and see a kind person sending you a request, check on the Replay Guide, at the very top you will find the "tabs", move up to them and find your show, and select, then accept it.

There, my idiocy is logged in the archives of the internet.

-z
post #88 of 191 Old 05-10-2004, 07:40 AM

Woo hoo. Finally had to break down and use Poopli. Missed an episode of 24 because my dish was down. Read the FAQ and within 24 hours I had my missing episode. Thank you very much Heather!
post #89 of 191 Old 05-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by icecow
It crossed my mind that the information about 55xx replays not working with poopli/noIVS should be moved to the very top and be one of the First things explained. Otherwise there will be a constant stream of people who get their hopes way up then get let down when they discover their 55xx cant do any of it.

Of course.. if that's what you are trying to do it's different

Perhaps..
After 'What is poopli?'

have the next one read "What ReplayTV Models can be used with poopli?"
Compatible Models: 4000 and 5000 series ReplayTVs
Incompatible Models: 5500 series, 3000 series ReplayTVs and all Panasonic Showstoppers.

something like that.

it's just feedback, if you don't agree..ignore it

cow

5500's will work.
post #90 of 191 Old 05-26-2004, 12:13 PM

I have read the various poopli post and I am not being able to setup my connection. I have registered with poopli, I have setup my 5040 with port 29000 and I believe I have setup my Linksys router to port forward 29000 forwarding to my 5040 ip address. I forced a netconnect with 243 zones.

When I run the IVS test I get back
------------
Found on Replay server. IP does not match your PC, not revealing IP and port detail.

Unable to contact ReplayTV unit.

500 Can't connect to xx.xx.xx.xx:yyyyy (connect: Connection refused)
Check your port forwarding settings.
---------------

This message has been consistent except for one time when I changed the port forward ip address to my pc and it spit out that the ip matched and showed the ip address:29000 but that it couldn't connect. This hasn't been consistent either. Occasionally this will show up but more often than not it doesn't. I would think that the external IP of all my machines/replay units should be the same so the not matching shouldn't show up.

Am I forgetting something. Do I need to reboot everything and do a net connect to start from ground level.

For port forwarding the only change I am making on my router is on the forwarding tab under the advanced section...is this wrong.

Thoughts...anyone? My IR blaster screwed up so I missed the 24 finale so any help would be appreciated.
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page