Poopli FAQ for AVS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got bored at work today, so I wrote this. I sent it to archie but he might have a different one ready to go, so I figured it might help someone here

Poopli FAQ (as of 1/22/04)

What is Poopli?

Poopli is an online database of television shows available for sharing from ReplayTV users.

Why do I need Poopli?

A centralized database of television offerings is more efficient than the typical request and pray method. With Poopli, you will know in an instant what shows are available. If a show is not listed, there is a special request section.

I still don't understand.

Basically, without Poopli, you have a very slim chance of finding another user able and willing to send you the show you want.

Ok, so how do I use it?

First, you need to create a user account. Go to http://www.poopli.com and click New User Registration. On the next page, you will be prompted to select your Replay Type (this is your model number - if you have front panel control buttons, choose 4xxx. If you don't, choose 5xxx. If you want to get fancy, choose the actual model number you own.)

Next, enter your RTV ID. This number can be found on your ReplayTV by selecting with the remote control Menu, then Setup, then Internet Identity and Address Book. If you are prompted with a screen asking you to enter in a port number or screen name, do so. (Remember the port number you choose: you will need to instruct your router to forward all incoming requests for that port to your Replay's IP.) On the actual address entry screen, your RTV ID will be the 15 digit number in the upper right hand corner.

Choose your connection speed, then enter your email address and pick a username and password. Hit submit, and then wait for the email you will receive to activate your account.

I searched and searched, and I don't see Internet Identity and Address Book. Can I still use Poopli?

In a word, no. If you don't have that option in your Settings menu, you have a 55xx series ReplayTV. These units are not capable of Internet Video Sharing.

There's no option for dial-up. Can I still use Poopli?

No. These show files are massive; over a phone line they could take weeks to transfer. Therefore, the only way to share files is through a broadband internet connection.

Ok, I'm activated. Now what?

Go to http://www.poopli.com and login with your account. You will be taken to the Show Requests screen. Here you will find all the non-specific show requests (ie, requests for shows that are not available in the database.) You may see shows that recently aired listed here: This is because the server only syncs once a day, and the database may not have updated yet to show that show as recorded. If you see a show here that you have, feel free to click on the name of the show and initiate a transfer.

How do I initiate a transfer?

On the Show Requests, Show Transfers and Show Database screens, you will see television show names in the Show colum. Each of these links are clickable. Depending on the screen, a different pop-up window will open when you click on the name.

I got a popup that says Respond to show request. What do I do?

This appears when you click on a show name on the Show Requests page or the Show Transfers page under the Show Database - Shows others are requesting from me section. This screen is only for use when you are replying to a person who has requested something.

Assuming you have the show and are willing to send it, all the information you will need to contact the person is listed on this screen. On your ReplayTV unit, hit Replay Guide and select the requested show. On the resulting pop-up menu, click Send Show. Click Add New User and enter the Replay ID. Hit Done and wait for it to contact the unit. If it is successful, select the person's name on the send screen (an X will appear in the box to the right of their name) and then select Send Show. If you get a sent successfully message, return to the Poopli pop-up and select Send Show.

If they are not successfully added, return to the Poopli pop-up and select Could not contact unit.

If you change your mind and decide not to send the show, in the Poopli pop-up select Cancel.

I see letters in the Replay ID in the pop-up, but my Replay will only let me enter in numbers. What gives?

The person who has requested the show either has a 55xx series replay or did not correctly enter their Replay ID. Select Could not contact unit and ignore the request.

How do I request a show?

There are two ways to do this. First, you should click Show Database and search for the name of the show for which you are looking. If you find it, click on the name of the show. This will take you to a page where you will be able to choose from individual episodes. If you find the one you are looking for, click the show name to the left of the correct episode. In the resulting pop-up window, simply click Request Show and the other ReplayTV owner will be notified of your request. You may also select Cancel if you decide against the transfer.

If you are unable to locate the show you want in the database, click the Request a Show option in the Poopli Menu bar. Enter in the Show Name, Episode Name (if known) and the Air Date of the show you want. Click Submit Query and your request will now be visible on the Show Requests page.

How do I share my shows?

Click on the Account tab on the Poopli menu bar. The ID you entered when you signed up for a Poopli account should be displayed. Click on that ID.

A window will pop up called Replay Unit Details. Enter in the information that corresponds to your replay. The Unit Name is the name you selected when setting up the Internet Identity and Address Book on your ReplayTV unit. Click the box that says shared, and enter your http://My.ReplayTV.com username and password. Select Update Unit when done, or Cancel to exit the screen with no changes.

You can add as many units as you have by clicking Add a Unit on the Account Details page and then following the same steps above.

What the heck is http://My.ReplayTV.com and why would I give you my password?

The only way for Poopli to know what shows you have is to login to your MyReplayTV account. That website is hosted by Digital Networks North America, the owners of ReplayTV. Every time your ReplayTV connects for a guide update, it also transfers the listings of shows currently in your Replay Guide. Once a day, Poopli connects to MyReplayTV and downloads this information to populate its Show Database.

Without entering your login information, you will be unable to share shows on Poopli, but you may still receive them. For Poopli to thrive, however, we need as many people as possible sharing their show listings.

To find out more about MyReplayTV, click Menu and then select Setup on your ReplayTV unit, then select MyReplayTV Registration. All further information can be found through there.

Ok, I've responded to a request. What now?

Now, you are at the mercy of the person receiving the show. There is no way for you to know if they have received it unless they tell you. You can go to the Show Transfers screen at any time and look under Shows I am sending. In the Progress column, you can see the percentage of the transfer that has been completed as of the date/time in the Last Updated column. If you see N/A, either the transfer has not yet begun, or the user does not wish to update the progress manually. In this case, you may click on their name under the Sent To column and ask for a status update.

If the show you sent is not appearing anywhere on that page, check the Completed Transfers page. Once a show has moved there, it is safe for you to delete it from your ReplayTV unit.

I know I sent a show, but I can't find it on either the Show Transfers or Completed Transfers screen.

You most likely have multiple ReplayTV units registered with Poopli. In the Profile pull-down menu in the upper right of the Poopli window, select another ReplayTV unit. Follow the instructions above for each ReplayTV until you find the show.

If it is still nowhere to be found, send a message to contact@poopli.com explaining there is a possible display bug.

Someone has agreed to send me a show. What do I do?

First, check your ReplayTV unit under the Received tab. Select the show title and from the resulting pop-up select Accept Show. Check on it every few hours to track the progress, and login to Poopli to enter that percentage in by going to the Show Transfers screen and clicking the show name, then entering in the % done in the corresponding box in the resulting pop-up window.

I got the email that says it is being sent, but I have nothing under Received on my Replay. How do I get the show?

The sender may be having problems contacting your machine. Click on their name in the Show Transfers screen and send them a message explaining the problem.

Can I request the same show from multiple people?

Sure you can. However, once you start receiving that show from one person, mark any other transfer requests for that show as cancelled or completed so the other users know you do not need the show anymore.

I have a problem/question that isn't listed here.

This FAQ was written in 30 minutes off the top of my head. Post your question and I'll answer it and add it.

A ham doesn't taste like pork chops, but that doesn't mean it's rhinoceros.

Knowing is half the battle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Wow Heather! And you did all that from memory while you are at work? Jeez, I couldn't remember half the steps necessary for some of this. Very impressive and very well written. Archie should definitely use this. It has my vote!

One minor nit though, I would change the How to Request a show section. I usually prefer to put my show request on the Show Request list for a couple of days, and then after I've gotten no response, I the peruse the Show Database. Mostly because I don't read the email account I have linked to poopli very often, and I don't feel like I'm imposing on someone when requesting a show.

Maybe that portion should be put to a vote?
post #3 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 02:31 PM

Thanks....
I think one question that still needs to be finalized is the etiquette of requesting a show. If there are 5 users which have the show you want, do you: a) request from one at a time b) request from all c) post to the "requests" section and wait for one of the users to respond?

This was touched on in another thread, but no decision was ever made. This would be good information for the FAQ.
post #4 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I put my personal etiquette in the FAQ: that is, request the show from the user directly if it is listed. It is kinda like a "RTFM" thing: if the question is already answered somewhere else, why waste bandwith by asking it again?

The person is sharing shows because they want to. I'm more likely to notice an email sent to me saying that someone wants a show than to look through the show requests section every day.

And as for requesting from multiple people, hellz yeah. This goes back to the Planet Replay days where people would not respond to requests for ages. If you wait, it may get deleted and you will lower your chances of getting the show.

Best to hedge your bets by requesting things right away and keeping the senders updated.

post #5 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It crossed my mind that the information about 55xx replays not working with poopli/noIVS should be moved to the very top and be one of the First things explained. Otherwise there will be a constant stream of people who get their hopes way up then get let down when they discover their 55xx cant do any of it.

Of course.. if that's what you are trying to do it's different

Perhaps..
After 'What is poopli?'

have the next one read "What ReplayTV Models can be used with poopli?"
Compatible Models: 4000 and 5000 series ReplayTVs
Incompatible Models: 5500 series, 3000 series ReplayTVs and all Panasonic Showstoppers.

something like that.

it's just feedback, if you don't agree..ignore it

cow
post #6 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think one question that still needs to be finalized is the etiquette of requesting a show. If there are 5 users which have the show you want, do you: a) request from one at a time b) request from all c) post to the "requests" section and wait for one of the users to respond?

It used to be that you could order something from a company and request that it be sent C.O.D. Then when it arrived, you paid for it.

No more.

The reason is this: People would call every company they could think of to buy something and request that it be sent C.O.D. from each of them. Whichever one arrived first they would pay for, and refuse all the rest of them.

Those companies that got their merchandise back had to pay the shipping charges to the customer AND back again. After that, they would make a new rule that nothing gets sent out C.O.D. ever again.

Don't sweat petty things, and don't pet sweaty things.
post #7 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You forgot the origin of the name "Poopli".....

The Dreamer

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #8 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 03:26 PM

If anyone cares, I tend to agree with this. I've had to respond to a couple of requests this week already that I'd deleted. I think your chances go up of getting a show if you doing it this way. Now, this isn't to say that there isn't a better way, just that for the way things are now, I think this is the best way of phrasing the instructions.

Quote:

Originally posted by heathriel
I put my personal etiquette in the FAQ: that is, request the show from the user directly if it is listed. It is kinda like a "RTFM" thing: if the question is already answered somewhere else, why waste bandwith by asking it again?

The person is sharing shows because they want to. I'm more likely to notice an email sent to me saying that someone wants a show than to look through the show requests section every day.

And as for requesting from multiple people, hellz yeah. This goes back to the Planet Replay days where people would not respond to requests for ages. If you wait, it may get deleted and you will lower your chances of getting the show.

Best to hedge your bets by requesting things right away and keeping the senders updated.

post #9 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

healthriel,
for your good dead I made you a few optional 65 x 65 AVS friendly pictures.

cow

heathriel pics.zip 16.236328125k . file
post #10 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by icecow
healthriel,
for your good dead I made you a few optional 65 x 65 AVS friendly pictures.

cow

I hope you meant deed .
post #11 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Aww, thanks icecow

post #12 of 193 Old 01-22-2004, 06:23 PM

That's what you get for leaving those pictures out there...

ah... google.
post #13 of 193 Old 01-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Nice job Heather. Hope this or something similar gets put up on Poopli soon!
post #14 of 193 Old 01-23-2004, 10:39 AM

How long does it take to transfer a half hour show recorded in Med. Quality on average assuming both the receiver and sender have a decent broadband Internet connection?

Most people's upload speed is much less than their down load speed, so I have to believe it would take forever for the sender to send a 1 Gigabyte half hour file.

It sounds like a good idea until you do the math.
post #15 of 193 Old 01-23-2004, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Usually you can conservatively estimate the send time by assuming a 128Kbps upload cap (typical cable co. cap figure, for those who are capped).

Peter
post #16 of 193 Old 01-23-2004, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Forget the math. If there's ever a show that you just have to see, you'll be willing to wait a few days. If you don't want to wait, just drop the need to see the show .
post #17 of 193 Old 01-23-2004, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HarryTheHat
How long does it take to transfer a half hour show recorded in Med. Quality on average assuming both the receiver and sender have a decent broadband Internet connection?

Unfortunately, there's really no way to generalize this point for a FAQ.

I sent someone a 1 hour at high quality show last night at 10pm and it was fully transferred before I woke up in the morning. I received a 1 hour at high quality show starting Monday morning and received it fully last night around 8pm.

I have a fast connection, so I was able to send a 3 gig file in under 10 hours. The other dude didn't, so he sent the 3 gig file in over 72.

post #18 of 193 Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 PM

Just for fun here's the math:

Assuming a 250Kbs upload speed and 10% overhead:

A 1 hr medium quality program of 1.58 Gig would take:

250kbits/sec = 250,000 / 8 = 31,250 Bytes/sec

Apply overhead... 31,250 * .9 = 28,125 Bytes/sec

So 1,580,000,000 Bytes / 28,125 Bytes/sec = 56,178 seconds

56,178 seconds = 15.6 hours.
post #19 of 193 Old 01-24-2004, 12:31 PM

I have used poopli to get shows that I missed, and it is great despite the fact that it takes a loooong time to download. On the shows that I received the download speed varied from 5 kb/sec to 30 kb/sec, this is using a wireless g network and cable modem.

However, my question is whether anyone knows how to change your username and password for replaytv.

thanks
post #20 of 193 Old 01-24-2004, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I know I sent a show, but I can't find it on either the Show Transfers or Completed Transfers screen.

You most likely have multiple ReplayTV units registered with Poopli. In the Profile pull-down menu in the upper right of the Poopli window, select another ReplayTV unit. Follow the instructions above for each ReplayTV until you find the show.

If it is still nowhere to be found, send a message to contact@poopli.com explaining there is a possible display bug.

Something you might want to add there is that the person requesting the show might have cancelled it after you already sent it. I have had this done to me several times in the past and I don't know what happened till I check my email and see that it was cancelled.

Also, a point was made in another thread about people making those multiple requests of the same show to different users. Since you can only send a single show to 15 different people, you don't want to be wasting it on the impatient people who request it from 5 different users, maybe 2 or 3 send it, and then cancel the send from 2 of them. That's 1 wasted send for each of those guys, not to mention the time and effort to go through the steps of entering their ISN# etc. I for one have never had anybody not send me a show that I have requested on poopli. Granted I've only received about 10-15 shows through there but 0/15 is good odds to me. Maybe just mention that mulitple requests can do more harm than good and should only be used on important shows...

Very nice job on the FAQ btw

post #21 of 193 Old 01-24-2004, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sundance44
I have used poopli to get shows that I missed, and it is great despite the fact that it takes a loooong time to download. On the shows that I received the download speed varied from 5 kb/sec to 30 kb/sec, this is using a wireless g network and cable modem.

Once again, this is NOT a limitation of IVS itself. Rather, it is a limitation of most people's broadband connections. Many, if not most, cable/DSL users have an *upload* speed capped at 128kbps (16KB/s) or 256kbps (32KB/s). Thus, even though most broadband users' download speed is capped at 1024kbps or more, your actual download speed will always be limited by the sender's upload speed. Thus, your stated receive speed on the high end of "30 kb/sec" (which should have read KB/sec) was actually very good for the usual broadband connections.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #22 of 193 Old 01-24-2004, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, aside from what I keep around as test clips...I've only hit the 15 send limit twice so far. Once during the spring....I was sending like crazy....even recorded season finales for shows that I don't watch...and others I recorded the same finale on more than one machine.

Though I found that even though it was really slow, due to upstream cap....having lots of people downloading from a machine can cause problems.....for one machine I was rebooting it at least once a day....of course I had about 20+ people downloading from it.

More recently....it is an episode of Taken....though I must be getting close to the limit for Battlestar Galactica (and I wasted a couple of the sends on requestors on poopli and one on Y!). Someday I'll get around to watching them myself...and then they'll be gone.

The Dreamer

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #23 of 193 Old 01-25-2004, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

What happens if I accept a show after the person has already deleted it? Does it tell me, the reciever(me), any messages? Does it just give me a raw error messsage? Does it just act like it's downloading and sit?

Also, here's a hypothetical situation. A guy (or heathriel) sends me a show. I accept it and go out of town for a month. When I get back it's 60% done says there's a network error. The sender still has the show on his replaytv (but I don't know that, I'm just hoping) . So I pause it then accept it again. Does this mean I'll get the show and the sender won't know I'm downloading at all (assuming the show is still there)?

cow
post #24 of 193 Old 01-25-2004, 08:22 AM

I can answer the first part. Yes it will say "there has been an error..." and it lists several things that may have happened, one being 'the sender may have deleted the show from his Replay'.

The second part is a good question. If you get the network error message does your Replay not even try to reconnect until you pause and resume? Will it, on it's own try and reconnect?

Edit: How do I know the first part? Because I sent a test clip to a few people who requested it and then immediately deleted it because either I'm a complete dope or I have the shortest attention span ever. I personally think it's a combination of the two. Anyway I received private messages with the "the sender may have deleted' errors mentioned and I had to admit to having done so.
post #25 of 193 Old 01-25-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Also, here's a hypothetical situation. A guy (or heathriel) sends me a show. I accept it and go out of town for a month. When I get back it's 60% done says there's a network error. The sender still has the show on his replaytv (but I don't know that, I'm just hoping) . So I pause it then accept it again. Does this mean I'll get the show and the sender won't know I'm downloading at all (assuming the show is still there)?

cow

Yes. I recently moved cross-country and was in the middle of a transfer (thanks JPL500) when the Replays got unplugged and packed. Nearly a month later, I hooked them up again. All it took was one net-connect , a pause of the transfer, and a resume of the transfer to get it going again. The show finished transferring a couple of hours later.
post #26 of 193 Old 01-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bull51

The second part is a good question. If you get the network error message does your Replay not even try to reconnect until you pause and resume? Will it, on it's own try and reconnect?

There is no need to pause the transfer and resume. The replay will automatically try to reconnect.
post #27 of 193 Old 01-27-2004, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I was running late downloading shows from poopli. I had 4 piled up. The first two were giving me alot of problems with socket errors and I had to restart them. Well, not alot, but when a person does have the socket error (which seems to be recoverable from) it may be 8-14 hours before noticed. a few of those can set me way back.

New to poopli, I just blew off one of the shows by going to poopli and marking it as complete. The guy did send it and he did wait 3 days, he deserved the credit.

Still in a tinkering fact-finding mode, I didn't delete the unaccepted show and 'accepted' it a good 5 days since it was originally was offered to my replay.

The transfer started. The speed of the transfer was about 6k per sec.
I'm guessing the guy keeps two sends going at the same time and my send made a 3rd unaccounted send. Since it was 40% done anyway, and I wanted to see if I would discover anything else, I just let it continue.

Came back tonight and saw it had stopped. A message box said couldn't find the show on the sender's unit..it had probably been deleted.

At 5 days, and believing I was finished with it he probably deleted it because he was done with it too.

The moral of this story is
If it seems to be taking forever to send a show to someone, it might be an old requestor highjacking the line.
Solution: delete some of the shows recently sent that are supposively completed, or just be cool with it and know that IVS Send Times have a special ability to grow and grow 2x, 3x longer then the theoretical time for these reasons:
>stopped transfers
>senders cable is slow that day (mine was sending half the regular rate two days ago(15k/sec instead of 30k/sec for no apparent reason)
>confrontation avoiding high-jackers
>Discovering that a show is ready to be accepted..(could be half a day, or day and a half)
>other

How I manage my sends:
When someone starts downloading from me, I at that moment accept another request and send the show. Odds are it will take the other person 6-8 hours before he descovers it. If he's early he'll slow the other guy down for awhile and give him slight emotional stress(because if you see somethign hauling to you at 32k/sec then it drops to 15k/sec when you are 70% done it's kind of a bummer). But at least I can keep the shows moving and satisfy the most number of people.

Right now I have about 8 requests so I took my replay offline till I catch up. I'll send the last 4 a message saying 'it's going to be 3-4 days, will you still want them then?'

poopli is a trip. I asked liz how someone could come up with a name like poopli?! She said with a straight face that it either had some kinda ancronym-like meaning or that someone in his life won a bet. Can't we change the name, Archie? btw, I think 'veronica' when I read archie. If you ever mentioned that you were a pilot I'd immediately think 'cockpit'.
I'm sure there's meaning behind the name 'poopli' but can't we change it anyway? Maybe tivo will follow suit after a few software updates and they'll call it 'turdle'. Nah, they'll just think of some really good 'poopli' jokes that will hurt.

Archie, it possilbe to start a thread for us to brainstorm for names? or is poopli a set deal. ultimately it doesn't matter that much either way, but I don't see any reason not to change it unless you doodoo.

cow
post #28 of 193 Old 01-27-2004, 02:01 AM

you're a funny guy, cow.. you just made me laugh aloud.

Archie told us the meaning behind the name. It was something from simpson which I didn't get (since I don't watch simpsons). It's actually pupli, not poopli.
post #29 of 193 Old 01-27-2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:

poopli is a trip. I asked liz how someone could come up with a name like poopli?! She said with a straight face that it either had some kinda ancronym-like meaning or that someone in his life won a bet. Can't we change the name, Archie? btw, I think 'veronica' when I read archie. If you ever mentioned that you were a pilot I'd immediately think 'cockpit'.
I'm sure there's meaning behind the name 'poopli' but can't we change it anyway? Maybe tivo will follow suit after a few software updates and they'll call it 'turdle'. Nah, they'll just think of some really good 'poopli' jokes that will hurt.

Archie, it possilbe to start a thread for us to brainstorm for names? or is poopli a set deal. ultimately it doesn't matter that much either way, but I don't see any reason not to change it unless you doodoo.

cow

You don't like poopli? It cracks me up every time I see one of the new shirts (which are going to be on the site in a matter of days). Changing the site name now would be a bit of a task. It's from a simpsons episode...lisa hates the pupli people. I changed it to poopli to keep FOX happy.

-a
post #30 of 193 Old 02-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Is there an easy way to cancel your POOPLI account at some point? Say you no longer want it to login to your myreplaytv.com account....etc.

Loren
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page