DVArchive V3.0 Now Available - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 499 Old 03-25-2004, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is an option in the DVArchive Properties, Local Guide tab (Expand shows...). It allows DVA to force the ReplayTV to stretch the width of the bars in the show listings of the ReplayGuide so you see more of the show title by lying to the ReplayTV about the show length (since the RTV setes the width by looking at the shows length). It has no impact at all on actual playback - a 30 minute show will still be 30 minutes.

If you find it confusing, you can disable it there too (but you probably turned it on at some point because the default it shipped off).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 499 Old 03-25-2004, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[thank you]Awesome, you really did a magnificent job with this release - and I am VERY impressed how fast things happen: download of shows, building of the TV grid, processing Upcoming Shows with conflict resolution, etc. and all in Java no less. You make Java look and feel good - something I have rarely seen even in expensive commercial applications.[/thank you]

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #363 of 499 Old 03-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
That is an option in the DVArchive Properties, Local Guide tab (Expand shows...). It allows DVA to force the ReplayTV to stretch the width of the bars in the show listings of the ReplayGuide so you see more of the show title by lying to the ReplayTV about the show length (since the RTV setes the width by looking at the shows length). It has no impact at all on actual playback - a 30 minute show will still be 30 minutes.

If you find it confusing, you can disable it there too (but you probably turned it on at some point because the default it shipped off).
Ok thanks..

I like to "click things" so you are probably right.. I'm sure thats how it got there one day and not the next! :)

In retrospect its a neat feature now that I understand why its doing what its doing..!
post #364 of 499 Old 03-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

It's gonna take me months to ferret out all the stuff you packed into DVA 3!

To heck with first person shooters.. finding all the neat things in DVA 3 is my new "game" of choice now..!!

:)

Every time I fool with it, I find some other neat thing or option.. the detail is amazing.. thanks again!
post #365 of 499 Old 03-25-2004, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by smckean
No, you can't stop the popup.

It only occurs if DVA is stopped abnormally (which your utility must be doing).

There is a semiphore file in your home directory (_dvarchive_.run) while DVA runs that controls this. If you don't mind forefiting the protections Gerry designed in with that semiphore file, you *could* set up a batch file for starting DVA that looks for and then deletes the semiphore file before starting DVA.
Thanks for the reply!

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #366 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

First the grey screen. I experienced it the first time yesterday and once last night. Both times flushing the cache for java worked on my particular PC. I believe some others had done this but I figured I'd put one more vote in the flush that cache column.

Second, the following started almost immediately and may be isolated to my install: When I setup a task to pull a photo off the web I'm taken to the final screen where I tell it where to put the photo. The area that asks me if I want it to go to all Replay's or just one in particular no longer works. I can have both radio buttons selected, deselected, or just one selected. Again, FYI

Bob
post #367 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moyekj
Well, considering Gerry is already getting bashed by some disrespectful users for software that is provided absolutely free of charge (i.e. no obligation to the end users) I can't blame him for not wanting to accept donations. That would only further the notion for these users that Gerry somehow "owes" them something.
No danger of that, since I highly doubt that the "whining" sort would ever send a contribution.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #368 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 07:37 AM

A couple of things I noticed when setting up a new record using the remote scheduling:

(1) When category "All Shows" is chosen, the record is instead put in "Movies"

(2) Record is set up for all days (all boxes checked), but the summary on the Replay shows no days marked.

Some minor things, not sure if they've been mentioned before.

Other than that, an excellent tool for the Replay community.

Tim
post #369 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

First let me say..
"Thanks for such a nice little freeware program!!"

While I may never use many of the newer features.... the fact that they are there and could be used is nice!

Daydreaming it sure would be nice "IF" on download it would automatically convert the files to PC/DVD MPEG2 format, with out needing to run RTVTools from a prompt.

Daydreaming it sure would be nice "IF" my PC-TV card could be tied into "DVA4" so that my PC could really become that "NETWORKED REPLAY" when ever I have a scheduling conflict on my single RTV setup....

--David
post #370 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 03:37 PM

With all of these great features, just think what could be accomplished if DNNA sent their source code to Gerry. He could implement them directly into the ReplayTV unit itself and leave DVA to serving.
post #371 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rherbert
I don't know how he could have raised the question WITHOUT being considered rude.
How can you say that. You managed a pretty well.

It has nothing to do with the questions but rather with the way they are phrased. It's pretty easy as you proved will your well contructed post.
post #372 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidEC
Daydreaming it sure would be nice "IF" on download it would automatically convert the files to PC/DVD MPEG2 format, with out needing to run RTVTools from a prompt.
Already doable. You just need to write the batch script to handle the processing. I expect we'll be seeing quite a few contributions in this area springing forth from the community, now that DVA v3 makes it possible.
Quote:
Daydreaming it sure would be nice "IF" my PC-TV card could be tied into "DVA4" so that my PC could really become that "NETWORKED REPLAY" when ever I have a scheduling conflict on my single RTV setup....
Yes, totally agree. A question, though... Do you know of any PC hardware/software combos that provide the ability to encode videos to RTV-compliant format (either natively or through rtvtools post-processing)? Recommendations?
post #373 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Thompson
2) It doesn't run on port 80 so you'll need to add :8080 to your URL (8080 is the default for 'web server' in the DVArchive configuration, if you've changed it, reflect the correct port number after the : in the URL.)
One add'l comment to this... regarding IE, at least; I'm not sure about other browsers...

When surfing the web, you can normally just type in the web server name, e.g. www.dvarchive.org, into your browser's location bar, hit [Enter], and the browser will connect. No problems.

This is because the browser assumes "http" as the communication protocol and "80" as the destination port number.

However, if you add a custom port to your URL -- as you need to for DVA's web interface (webDVA?) -- then IE no longer assumes "http" communication and you need to be sure to specify it in the URL. If you add a custom port w/o also prefixing the URL with "http://" then you'll get a "The page cannot be displayed error" in IE.
post #374 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krkaufman
One add'l comment to this... regarding IE, at least; I'm not sure about other browsers...

When surfing the web, you can normally just type in the web server name, e.g. www.dvarchive.org, into your browser's location bar, hit [Enter], and the browser will connect. No problems.

This is because the browser assumes "http" as the communication protocol and "80" as the destination port number.

However, if you add a custom port to your URL -- as you need to for DVA's web interface (webDVA?) -- then IE no longer assumes "http" communication and you need to be sure to specify it in the URL. If you add a custom port w/o also prefixing the URL with "http://" then you'll get a "The page cannot be displayed error" in IE.
Works fine without http:// prefix with Netscape 7.x (at least on Linux platform)
Another silly thing is in IE typing "dvarchive.org" doesn't work but works fine in Netscape. (Could be a name-server related problem but I don't think so). You have to type "www.dvarchive.org" in IE.

post #375 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 05:40 PM

Question about importing shows...

According to the changelog:

"...you can import shows by simply copying all the pieces into on of the DVArchive storage directories."

I have some shows I saved on an external drive. Each show has the .mpg, .evt, and .ndx files. I tried copying the 3 files for one show into my freshly installed DVArchive Local Guide directory, but DVArchive does not display the show. I even tried a File -> Refresh Local Shows and still no luck.

What am I missing?
post #376 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Each show now needs it's own .xml.

post #377 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For import to work, as noted in the CHANGELOG, you need 4 files (3 if the show is froma RTV 4xxx series) - the .mpg, the .ndx, the .evt (for RTV 5xxx recordings) and a .xml. The XML holds the title, description, etc, etc (there is no text in the MPEG/NDX/EVT files).

Further, as some have found out, the XML must be a 3.0 formatted show XML file. If you did an export of a show under 2.x, it did create an XML file, but it's not the same as what V3.0 uses. I'm trying to work on supporting this, but with the release available right now, it doesn't.
post #378 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the clarification.
The shows in question were from 2.x DVArchive, and thus have no .xml file.

That being the case, is the only option importing them into ver. 3.0.
And if so, is there any way of preserving the show title, description, etc...?
post #379 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaner
The shows in question were from 2.x DVArchive, and thus have no .xml file.

That being the case, is the only option importing them into ver. 3.0.
And if so, is there any way of preserving the show title, description, etc...?
See my suggestion over on DVArchive.org's forums here. It worked for that poster, p'raps it'll suffice for you -- until Gerry's solution comes along.

:) Yep, looks like. Better that, though, than neither of us having posted..!
post #380 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Go to this thread on the dvarchive.org forum. krkaufman has spelled out some very clear instructions on 2.x files:

http://www.dvarchive.org/forums/view...hp?p=2628#2628

edited 6:34pm :whoops...looks like our posts crossed!

The Burger
post #381 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidEC

Originally posted by moi
Already doable. You just need to write the batch script to handle the processing. I expect we'll be seeing quite a few contributions in this area springing forth from the community, now that DVA v3 makes it possible.
Told ya...! See FlipFlop's post over on DVArchive.org, HERE.

post #382 of 499 Old 03-26-2004, 11:15 PM

Liked: 11
I can launch dvarchive no prob.. the real replay and the dvarchive replay can see each other.. here's the prob.. when I go to record a show on the replay unit in the living room, I get "insufficient space, or conflict in recording shedule, etc..." I made a new dir on a new partition and made sure that the dir structure matches up in the dvarchive configuration. The partition is ntfs, this shouldn't matter right? also, I am able to download pre-recorded shows to the hd, but tyring to record to the pc gives me the error listed above.. what's up with this?
post #383 of 499 Old 03-27-2004, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by guido5059
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1 with j2re-1_4_2_04. DVArchive 2.1 worked flawlessly before but I was running java 1.4.1.

Help!
Is there any particlular reason why dvarchive 3.0 was written in java 1.4.2? Someone mentioned in an earlier post that they had gotten DVA 3.0 (or at least most of it) to work with java 1.4.1. Is this possible? If not, I will just stick with DVA 2.1 on this machine.

I use Opera 7 as my primary browser on my main machine. For me, Opera doesn't work as well on java 1.4.2.x.
Java 1.4.1.01 seems to be the most compatible.

I have noticed browser problems with all the versions of java 1.4.2.x that I have tried.
post #384 of 499 Old 03-27-2004, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JJON2121
[BI use Opera 7 as my primary browser on my main machine. For me, Opera doesn't work as well on java 1.4.2.x.
Java 1.4.1.01 seems to be the most compatible.

I have noticed browser problems with all the versions of java 1.4.2.x that I have tried. [/b]
That's interesting, I too use Opera and haven't had any problems with java version 1.4.2_04.
post #385 of 499 Old 03-27-2004, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hagfish
I can launch dvarchive no prob.. the real replay and the dvarchive replay can see each other.. here's the prob.. when I go to record a show on the replay unit in the living room, I get "insufficient space, or conflict in recording shedule, etc..." I made a new dir on a new partition and made sure that the dir structure matches up in the dvarchive configuration. The partition is ntfs, this shouldn't matter right? also, I am able to download pre-recorded shows to the hd, but tyring to record to the pc gives me the error listed above.. what's up with this?
Lack of space messages when scheduling a recording are from your ReplayTV, not DVA itself. SO adding more disk space o your DVA computer won't help. You may want to try unchecking the "Keep until I delete" check box -- that pre-reserves space, space that may not be there. You may also want to review the recordings already setup on the ReplayTV and insure that if they are set to "Keep until I Delete" is set, it's only set for the few shows that matter. Too much of that setting mops up all your free space.
post #386 of 499 Old 03-27-2004, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJON2121
Is there any particlular reason why dvarchive 3.0 was written in java 1.4.2?
DVA was written in Java. However, as much as I'd prefer otherwise, some aspects of java change between releases and while most of DVA is insensitive to them, there are areas that are.

V3.0 was developed using 1.4.1 right up until the 3rd release candidate when we switched to 1.4.2 because folks were concerned that using an older java would confuse folks and Mac OSX folks didn't have too many choices. That said, you can use Java 1.4.1 pretty easily, In fact, right in the header of the CHANGELOG.txt, there are instructions for how (using the --forcejvm switch).
post #387 of 499 Old 03-27-2004, 09:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
Lack of space messages when scheduling a recording are from your ReplayTV, not DVA itself. SO adding more disk space o your DVA computer won't help. You may want to try unchecking the "Keep until I delete" check box -- that pre-reserves space, space that may not be there. You may also want to review the recordings already setup on the ReplayTV and insure that if they are set to "Keep until I Delete" is set, it's only set for the few shows that matter. Too much of that setting mops up all your free space.
This is a brand new 120 gig drive with nothing on it (I'm setting up dva for the first time), so I know it's not a space issue though.. I have my e:\\Local_Guide and e:\\Import directories setup and I have setup accordingly in the dva storage tab.. Like I saide earlier, they can definitely see each other I can download pre-recorded shows, just can't set any new recordings for the PC.. any other suggestions?
post #388 of 499 Old 03-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krkaufman
A question, though... Do you know of any PC hardware/software combos that provide the ability to encode videos to RTV-compliant format (either natively or through rtvtools post-processing)? Recommendations?
Its not a question of hardware on a Windows based machine.... As there are free ware tuning software for most PCI based TV Tuner cards.. it is a question of software interface that will write the correct header and the related index files written and updated during the time of recording.

--David
post #389 of 499 Old 03-27-2004, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I can download pre-recorded shows, just can't set any new recordings for the PC.. any other suggestions?

I am able to download pre-recorded shows to the hd, but tyring to record to the pc gives me the error listed above.. what's up with this?
You realize the PC can't record interactively with your Replays/DVArchive, right?
post #390 of 499 Old 03-27-2004, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hagfish
This is a brand new 120 gig drive with nothing on it (I'm setting up dva for the first time), so I know it's not a space issue though.. I have my e:\\Local_Guide and e:\\Import directories setup and I have setup accordingly in the dva storage tab.. Like I saide earlier, they can definitely see each other I can download pre-recorded shows, just can't set any new recordings for the PC.. any other suggestions?
Hagfish, I think you still do not understand. What Gerry was saying is that when you are trying to setup a recording on your Living Room RTV it (the RTV) is saying it doesn't have enough space left. Note that you CANNOT setup recordings to be stored directly on your PC running DVArchive if that's what you are thinking should be happening. While that would certainly be a wonderful addition to DVArchive (working in conjunction with a TV tuner card for the PC) it is not a reality yet, though seems feasible to implement in the future. Point is, currently DVArchive does NOT support recording directly to your PC hard drive, it can only setup recordings to record on your 5xxx RTVs.

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page