DVArchive V3.0 Now Available - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #451 of 499 Old 03-30-2004, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question, can anyone help with DVA3 recognizing RTV please?

First and foremost, Gerry, great job on DVA3. I am having a slight problem currently with my system however ....

I have DVA3 on a Pentium 4 WinXP, and when I first installed DVA3, it worked like a charm. However, shortly thereafter, I was receiving a message about a "corrupted semaphore" because I didn't close the application properly, which in rare cases may result in some errors. I wasn't sure what that was about, because I was fairly diligent about closing the application properly each time, and hadn't had it for a very long time. Shortly after that, DVA3 would freeze on the "please wait screen". Curiously enough, I could see my PC on the other RTVs (Both 5508s).

Needless to say, I uninstalled DVA3 using the "remove programs" on WinXP, and have reinstalled DVA3. Now, it did give me the "semaphore" message once, and since then it has been running. However, now, it does not recognize one of the RTVs. It is the same RTV, both of which are networked via ethernet. It recognizes that I have a "DVR Family room", and updates the hard drive status, but then afterwards in the message area it gives me an ERROR: Unable to fetch details for DVR [ip address]: port 80 connection timed out: connect message 6 times, then a final message that "DVArchive received new DVR broadcast but was unable to initialize/configure it: ignored"

It has no problem recognizing the other RTV each time I start up DVA3.

Any thoughts? I'm at a loss here. Any advice/help would be incredibly appreciated.

Jacksan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reboot your ReplayTV (Press/hold the ReplayTVs power buttong for 10+ seconds). If that doesn't work, start looking through the troubleshooting seciton of the DVA Online FAQs -- lots of suggestions there.
post #453 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 06:07 AM

Hm. I just started getting the Gray Screen of Sleep too. Same symptoms as the rest of you. GUI does not respond, but DVA continues to serve shows and otherwise functions ok. Odd.

I installed the JDK and run DVA 24/7 using the following command-line:

C:\\SunJavaSDK\\AppServer\\jdk\\bin\\javaw.exe -server -Xmx191m -jar "C:\\Program Files\\DVArchive\\DVArchive.jar"

If anyone ever figures this out, please share.

Thanks for the awesome app Gerry. My evangelizing is made much easier as a result.
post #454 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xstrym
Sorry, fellers, I think we've got the sun all to ourselves! (and we're about 5 feet from it!!!) :D:D

Didja ever see those wax infomercials where they light the car on fire??? Well, where do you think they invented that wax? Spend one summer here and you'll know why they invented fire extinguishers that you can carry around in your car!!! :D:D
I thought fire extinguishers you can carry around in your car were invented for British cars. My girlfriend has a 1975 Austin Mini and won't drive it without her fire extinguisher by her side (attached to the driver side door).
post #455 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fubie
Ok, this is a bit strange.

I've had DVA3 setup since 3/21. Everything has been pretty great. My TV listings have been updating nightly without a hitch untill last night.

I'm on DirecTV. I went thru and hid all of the channels I don't use. Today I look and my channel lineup is completly wrong. Normally my channels start with 4,6,12,18.......

Today all of those channels are missing. As a matter of fact all of the channels I kept are now missing and only the hidden channels are showing. I opened the hide channels box and my normal channels are missing from there to! My zip & provider are still fine.

Has anyone else seen this???

Can I easily restore my normal lineup?

Thanks much guys.
This has happened to me the last two nights, too - it was working fine for the last week - I fixed it by reloading, and rehiding all the channels yesterday, but it would be really great if I didn't have to do this everyday. Any suggestions on what changed on Sunday/Monday? And any way of easily fixing/refreshing the channel lineup?

Thanks,
Tracey
post #456 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 09:38 AM

I can duplicate the Gray screen problem almost at will. My hope is that being able to do this is a big step towards diagnosis. Here is how;

1) Select a show
2) Right click, select "Show Properties"
3) Select "Basic" tab
4) Select "Show Title"
5) Add 5 characters to the show title, example "West Wing" becomes "West Wing 1-05"
6) Click OK

Repeat until you get a gray screen. On my system, it takes between 2 and 7 tries.

Can anyone else get it to fail this way?
post #457 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 09:46 AM

I have similar problem with one install of DVA that runs on an XP machine. I go through and hide all the channels and it seems to work just fine.

At some point during the day I would get an email on my other machine stating that DVA is dangerously low on resources and about to crash.

The problem was always that the TV Guide would reset and it would DL all the channels. When I looked at the channel setup nothing would be hid and I would have to do it all over again. Also none of my local channels showed up as the right number (they were like 8### instead of 4,5,9,etc.). This would happen daily if the machine were left on for any period of time.

Last time it happened I cleared out all the channels and changed my local provider to antenna. That made my local channels correct, then I changed it to Dish Network and all my channels are now correct and it has been two days since a crash. Don't know why that fixed it but at least the numbers are correct now.

Scoot
post #458 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damonc
I thought fire extinguishers you can carry around in your car were invented for British cars. My girlfriend has a 1975 Austin Mini and won't drive it without her fire extinguisher by her side (attached to the driver side door).
And do you know why the British drink warm beer?

Answer: Lucas refrigerators.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #459 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by YBDBDOO
I can duplicate the Gray screen problem almost at will. My hope is that being able to do this is a big step towards diagnosis. Here is how;

1) Select a show
3) Select "Basic" tab
4) Select "Show Title"
5) Add 5 characters to the show title, example "West Wing" becomes "West Wing 1-05"
6) Click OK

Repeat until you get a gray screen. On my system, it takes between 2 and 7 tries.

Can anyone else get it to fail this way?
Yep! I can GSOS my DVA instance reliably using those same steps.

Nice detective work! That should help Gerry et al figure it out.
post #460 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steverap
Now you've got my curiousity. What's the wattage on your PC's power supply? It's got to be pretty beefy to handle that many drives.
500W - the system's been up straight since 2/15/04 - no problems
post #461 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
1) Select a show
3) Select "Basic" tab
4) Select "Show Title"
6) Click OK
Unforutnatly, on my WinXP test machine using Java 1.4.2, I cannot get this to happen. I've spent 30 minutes now renaming the same show and different shows in different patterns and it will not lock up or give me the gray screen.

I have no doubt this is happening, just relaying that as of yet, I cannot reproduce it :-(
post #462 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
Unforutnatly, on my WinXP test machine using Java 1.4.2, I cannot get this to happen. I've spent 30 minutes now renaming the same show and different shows in different patterns and it will not lock up or give me the gray screen.

I have no doubt this is happening, just relaying that as of yet, I cannot reproduce it :-(
Not to thread jump, but did you see my bug report in our WiRNS/DVA thread?

-kjac
post #463 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, on my WinXP test machine using Java 1.4.2, I cannot get this to happen. I've spent 30 minutes now renaming the same show and different shows in different patterns and it will not lock up or give me the gray screen.

Darn, really sorry to hear that it doesn't duplicate there. Obviously, there is something different about my systems. I am going to downgrade to 1.4.1 on one of them, see if the trouble goes away. I will leave the other one in its current state in case you need a beta to try a fix. It still works well enough for me to use it everyday.

Thanks for the help!
post #464 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Darn, really sorry to hear that it doesn't duplicate there. Obviously, there is something different about my systems. I am going to downgrade to 1.4.1 on one of them, see if the trouble goes away. I will leave the other one in its current state in case you need a beta to try a fix. It still works well enough for me to use it everyday.

Thanks for the help!
Another good test perhaps is to try the show renaming using the DVA 3.0 web server interface (I think that's possible right?) and see if things still lock up - this may help narrow down the root cause of the problem a little.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #465 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moyekj
Another good test perhaps is to try the show renaming using the DVA 3.0 web server interface (I think that's possible right?) and see if things still lock up - this may help narrow down the root cause of the problem a little.
I haven't tried that area of the program, and I may be too much of a newbie there to be of much use. I will, however, spend some time trying this evening, see if I can generate any relevant feedback.

Note that I downgraded one of my dva3s to 1.4.1 and have not been able to duplicate the error now after about 15 minutes of editing of show names. I conclude that mine is fixed by 1.4.1, at least on one of computers.
post #466 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 04:59 PM
gee

Regarding the TV listing, when I went into DVarchive 3.0 after a week, my tv listing was a week old and could not get the current one. In the properties, TV guide, I have the guide to update automatically, time to update is 5:30 am and #of days to keep is 2.

I assume that the listing will only be updated as often as you open up DVArhive, is that how it works.

I am a neophyte when it comes to RPTV and DVarchive...

Any advise out there..
post #467 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gee
Regarding the TV listing, when I went into DVarchive 3.0 after a week, my tv listing was a week old and could not get the current one. In the properties, TV guide, I have the guide to update automatically, time to update is 5:30 am and #of days to keep is 2.

I assume that the listing will only be updated as often as you open up DVArhive, is that how it works.

I am a neophyte when it comes to RPTV and DVarchive...

Any advise out there..
If you don't leave DVA running all the time then you should update the TV listings manually (using the button in the TV guide tab) after you start DVA - i don't think it updates listings automatically when you first start DVA.

post #468 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kjac
Not to thread jump, but did you see my bug report in our WiRNS/DVA thread?
I'm sure I did, but I'm not sure I can recall it now. If it was a report on seeing the gray screen, don't sweat it too much -- while I cannot reproduce these yet, it's likely they are all from the same cause (U/I thread lockup). If it was steps to reproduce, let me know (sorry, I've just been wading though hundreds of threars and emails over the last few weeks - barely any time left over to work on the DVA patch release :-)
post #469 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sure I did, but I'm not sure I can recall it now. If it was a report on seeing the gray screen, don't sweat it too much -- while I cannot reproduce these yet, it's likely they are all from the same cause (U/I thread lockup). If it was steps to reproduce, let me know (sorry, I've just been wading though hundreds of threars and emails over the last few weeks - barely any time left over to work on the DVA patch release :-)
It was a couple things about the tvlistings interface, it seems to call some urls twice, and an error when changing zipcodes with the add/hide channels pane not updating.. I'll try to dig up the thread.. I think "supergenius" started it?

-kjac
post #470 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kjac
It was a couple things about the tvlistings interface, it seems to call some urls twice, and an error when changing zipcodes with the add/hide channels pane not updating.. I'll try to dig up the thread.. I think "supergenius" started it?
On the duplicate URL thing - is this for fetching TV Listings of provider channel listings? I looked into both don't seem to be seeing this. For EACH provider, it should send one request for channel data and for EACH provider for EACH day, it should send one request for TV show listings.

The Add/Hide channels and zip code stuff is being almost completely redone right now (which ius why this update is taking a bit), so that will be solved implictly there.
post #471 of 499 Old 03-31-2004, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
On the duplicate URL thing - is this for fetching TV Listings of provider channel listings? I looked into both don't seem to be seeing this. For EACH provider, it should send one request for channel data and for EACH provider for EACH day, it should send one request for TV show listings.

The Add/Hide channels and zip code stuff is being almost completely redone right now (which ius why this update is taking a bit), so that will be solved implictly there.
If I remember correctly it was calling getzipcode2.pl twice.

-kjac
post #472 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Will this help the "disappearing channels after a guide update" problem? The first night I lost the locals that I wanted to see - the only one that appeared was the one channel I had hidden. Then last night (I didn't repair the missing channels), the one hidden channel disappeared too! Hey, fewer channels, less TV - have you been talking to my husband?

Thanks for all your hard work, it's an amazing program - seeing the contents of my RTV's on my Treo 600 is a new high in my geekiness!

Tracey
post #473 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 11:21 AM

Gerry I'm only asking because you said you were almost completely rewriting add/remove channels....

We find we only watch a small number of available channels, a "select all" button would help, then we would unselect the few we want.

The ability to highlight a range would speed up the process. Select first hold shift and select last. (then space bar)

Could other instances of DVArchive be told to read the channel setup guide file from a master or host? We have DVArchive running on three PCs and two of them we log in as two different users. That means we had to add/remove channels five times in the course of setting up the program.
This should be optional since there's certainly people with different channel assignments for different Replays. But a master file in our house would mean setting it up once and then if the lineup ever changed, only having to change it once.

Is it technically possible for DVArchive to auto-set its channel listing by reading the setup from one of the LAN's Replays?

Wonderful program Gerry,
-John
post #474 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 11:50 AM

JohnHeller,

I had no problem highlighting all the channels and hitting the hide button, then unselecting the ones I wanted shown.

As others have, I also have had to do this a few times after finding that only the channels I hid were still available and the ones I actually wanted totally disappeared. Selecting another provider and then going back refreshed available channels.
post #475 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 AM

Kind of strange things have been happening to my actual replay as well. I think random channels that were hidden there started showing. Also, one time, channels that don't even exist showed up as blank channels with only their channel number.
post #476 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 12:03 PM

P.S. I got the weather forcast downloading as the pause screen and screen saver. My wife was like "wow! is this for real."
post #477 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JenEric
I think random channels that were hidden there started showing.
That can happen when the provider shuffles channel assignments. Let's say channel 198 is Bravo and you hide it. Now Comcast changes Bravo to 230 and assigns 198 to BET. You'll find that your Replay just unhid 198.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #478 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 12:13 PM

These were my Dish Network Locals channels, like 1, 6 and 8, which never existed (and still don't).

edit: Oh wait, you're talking about the ones showing, not the totally blank ones. That is why I said "I think," but I also have a 3060 that I'm comparing it to, and had just cleaned up both guides a couple days before. I guess because I'm saying this in this thread, I'm thinking it might be related to DVArchive, but who knows. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out.
post #479 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 06:57 PM

DVA is the best, but I have noticed that the transfer speed cap does not seem to be working when streaming video from the replay to windows media player on my win2k system.

I just had my replay 4080 bomb when the streaming transfer speed reached 2.76MB/s even though the cap is set to 1 DL max at 600KB/s

The speed cap is working for file downloads, just not live streaming to windows media player.

Anyone else seeing this?

mlinehan
post #480 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I've used DVA 3.0 and streamed 2 1 hour shows from a 4508 using VideoLAN without any trouble. In DVA settings I set max transfer speed to 0 (i.e. unlimited download speed). I don't understand in your case why WMP is donwloading faster than the speed needed for streaming? Does WMP use a huge buffer or something?

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page