Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #481 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The cap is not for streaming, just for downloads.

You do not want any limiters on the data when streaming as you need to feed it to the player as fast as it needs the data -- the player regulates the effective xfer rate. If you capped it, when the player needed more than your cap, it would starve and get choppy or just stop playing.

That said, no video format on the RTV requires 2.7MB/sec sustained (some players will buffer for a few seconds at that rate when they start playing, but only for 2-5 seconds or so).

Sounds like you're using a player that really doesn't know how to stream, so it's trying to download the entire file first. Since such a download has no speed restriction (normally the act of playing video in real time generally speed restricts real streaming players), you're seeing the 2.7MB/sec. Even if you ReplayTV didn't crash, you'd be waiting a long time before playback started.

Try using VideoLAN -- it's know to support HTTP streaming properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 07:27 PM

I believe streaming is not capped by design. The problem is WMP doesn't actually play streaming video, it gets the whole file before starting. I suppose you have to download it first to the machine, then play it with WMP, or else use videolan or some player that plays streaming video.
post #483 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 07:30 PM

Now I believe it even more. ;)
post #484 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Windows Media Player version 6 will do streaming video (not download the whole file before playing it). It should be in the \\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\ directory as mplayer2.exe, regardless of which version of Windows Media Player is currently installed.

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site: www.replaytvupgrade.com
post #485 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by l8er
Windows Media Player version 6 will do streaming video (not download the whole file before playing it). It should be in the \\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\ directory as mplayer2.exe, regardless of which version of Windows Media Player is currently installed.
I just tried to stream with Windows Media Player version 6 but it downloaded the whole show first.

Are there some settings I need to change?

skinsfan05
post #486 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 09:43 PM

Interesting stuff here.

when I point dvarchive at "C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe" The video plays with Windows media player 9.00.00

when I point dvarchive at "C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\mplayer2.exe" The video plays with windows media player 6.4.09

In both cases, after the video begins playing, I can leave it playing in the background and flip over to the DVA download screen which shows (direct cut and paste here):

Bed Room .Hack/Sign - Folklore 1% 00:05:52 Streaming show 916.41MB 2.56MB/s Transferring

Can someone sugest a better player for a Win2K system.

It is interesting to note that my experiments with the 4080 show that it can record 1 show (med quality), play back another (med quality), and stream to my PC at this speed just fine.

But when the replay is loaded this heavily, any attemps to use the remote causes the replay to crash and reboot.

mlinehan out

mlinehan
post #487 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skinsfan05
I just tried to stream with Windows Media Player version 6 but it downloaded the whole show first.

Are there some settings I need to change?

skinsfan05
WMP (any version) will ONLY play streaming MPEG-2 if you have the Elecard codec/DS filters installed. It is shareware from http://www.moonlight.co.il/cons_player.php . After the trial period expires, it will nag you with a bouncing box in the video window unless you register it or use another MPEG-2 decoder...

The best streaming player is still IMO VideoLAN VLC (www.videolan.org), and it is free.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #488 of 499 Old 04-01-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.

The best streaming player is still IMO VideoLAN VLC (www.videolan.org)
Unfortunately. I'm glad to have it and grateful it exists, but just find something else to do for a while, download the video and use reVue.
post #489 of 499 Old 04-02-2004, 05:55 AM

Quote:
The best streaming player is still IMO VideoLAN VLC (www.videolan.org), and it is free. [/b]
Don't forget to really crank up your TCP Receive Window (RWIN) in order to get smooth streaming. DSLReports.com has a utility (DRTCP.exe) to change it as well as test tools to see what it is vs. what it should be.

Thing is that DSLReports calculated my RWIN should be about 14000 (rounded cuz of my bad memory). But in order for VLC to work reliably, I had to crank RWIN up to 64240.
post #490 of 499 Old 04-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
WMP (any version) will ONLY play streaming MPEG-2 if you have the Elecard codec/DS filters installed.
I've done some testing, and I've found that the key component that is preventing streaming is the mpeg2 splitter/demuxer which gets installed by DirectX 9. This is the same thing that causes problems with commercial advance timing in reVue.

If I have mpg2splt.ax version 6.3.1.881 from DirectX 8 registered, then I can stream in mplayer2.exe, (although it fails more often than it works). Typically it works the 1st time, and then the next time I get a "pins can't connect" error), and I have to reboot before it will stream again.

So, I decided to check out what it was about the Elecard codec that made it work. Turns out if you register ONLY the Elecard version of the mpeg2 splitter (c:\\program files\\common files\\moonlight\\mpeg2dmx.ax) instead of the DirectX mpg2splt.ax, then mplayer2.exe will stream just fine using your standard DVD software's codecs. The trick is

1) get the mpeg2dmx.ax file from the Elecard install
2) copy mpeg2dmx.ax to c:\\windows\\system32
3) uninstall Elecard (so things revert back to the standard DVD codec)
4) start up a command prompt
5) cd c:\\windows\\system32
6) regsvr32 -u mpg2splt.ax
7) regsvr32 mpeg2dmx.ax

Then all should be well with mplayer2.exe. Media Player 9 still won't stream, but mplayer2.exe does a decent job. You can't seek, but the quality is better than VLC. Plus, since you are using your normal DVD codecs, you aren't subject to the demo timer built into the Elecard codec. Plus, low/standard quality images show up in the proper aspect ratio.

(edit) Tip: Use the GSpot utility to see what codecs you have installed. Open an mpepg file and click the "render" button to see what codecs get used. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
post #491 of 499 Old 04-03-2004, 07:54 AM

FlipFlop:

I have Win98se and have also been using older WMP and elecard since it has worked the best for me. I followed your instructions but had some variations. My mpg2splt.ax was in the windows system folder not windows system32. I unregistered it as per your instructions w/out problems. I uninstalled elecard via control panel (it was called Elecard player I think). I had tried to registed mpeg2dmx.ax which was in the window system32 folder but I got an error that says bad command or file name. I checked with the dir command and the file is there. Also if I try to stream it seems that the elecard codecs are still there and the aspect ratio of standard and medium are messed up as always.
Any ideas????

Al
post #492 of 499 Old 04-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

If regsvr32.exe is not in your path you will have to explicitly specify the path to it:
Code:
c:\\windows\\system\
egsvr32.exe mpeg2dmx.ax
post #493 of 499 Old 04-03-2004, 01:11 PM

FlipFlop & others:

I have follow-up for my prior problem. For some reason, I needed to set the active directory as windows\\system even though the file mpreg2dmx.ax is in my windows\\system32 folder and I was able to register the file. I also found that a program in my control panel add/remove was UDP stream player which allows you to register or unregister elecard filters. I unregistered them all except for Elecard MPEG2 Multiplexer. I can now stream with standard quality with the older WNP and it has the proper aspect ratio. The only problem is that my video stream is not as good as it was with all the elecard filters/codecs.
Can people who are streaming from DVArchive with the older WMP or other players give what codecs/filters they are using (not elecard) to hopefully figure out what combination works the best on most machines.

Al
post #494 of 499 Old 04-08-2004, 08:12 PM

Why do I get the following error messages?

REPLAY_DEVICE:: Fixed bad ReplayTV name [Master Be...], now using [Master Be___]

Warn: ReplayTV Device at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Reported name of Master Be... which is known bad. DVA Fixed this to Master Be___

Thanks for your help

JAH
post #495 of 499 Old 04-08-2004, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ReplayTVs have an odd bug in that some of the default names you can assign them (the ones already in the unit) will display on your ReplayTV just fine, but when sent over to a remote device, they have trailling periods. Those trailing periods wreck havoc with DVAs photo cache system (it creates directorires for each DVR using that DVRs name), so DVA "patches" the name as best it can when it encounters them.

If you don't like it, you can generally setup your ReplayTV to have a custom name (one you use their keyboard to type in) and these are generally not maligned by the ReplayTV.

Mostly, it's ignorable though.
post #496 of 499 Old 04-09-2004, 04:39 PM

double post

SONY VGX-XLA2 HTPC
SONY 200 CD/DVD Changer
Xbox 360
post #497 of 499 Old 04-09-2004, 04:39 PM

I think I am having a problem with the server.. I can't start the DVArchive server if my IIS server is running. Let me give a little history on my setup:

One NIC card with 3 bound IP's:

NIC1

192.168.1.88 - IIS
192.168.1.89 - IIS
192.168.1.90 - IP override set for this address in DVArchive

The DVArchive server won't start if IIS is running. If I shutdown IIS websites the DVArrchive server will start.. Previous 2.1 version was running on the same server fine with the same config.

I guess it's a BUG???

SONY VGX-XLA2 HTPC
SONY 200 CD/DVD Changer
Xbox 360
post #498 of 499 Old 04-09-2004, 05:14 PM

You didn't mention your OS, but...

for windows 2000:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...p/apro9zon.htm