DVArchive V3.0 Now Available - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm... sorry if the last line in my last post was taken to be offensive - that wasn't the way I intended it. I was just relieved that I hadn't overwritten 2.1, which is working for me for the most part, when 3.0 crashed my replaytv and itself.

And I don't think Gerry owes any of us anything. He's written a nice little program for himself that he is kind enough to share with everyone. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't! While a software release like this wouldn't fly in the real world, that's not what we're working with - hell, even Gerry said that he knew this one would be buggy, and wants to find out what the bugs are so that he can come out with a point release next week.

Finally, burger - I did actually read (or at least skim) the changelog. This is the only relevant info I see: "DVArchive now checks the version of other DVArchives on the network. You can see the version by clicking on the DVR Name for that DVArchive. If the DVArchive is a different version than the currently running DVArchive, a red exclamation point will show over it's icon in the DVR Explorer and a warning message including the old DVArchives version (if any) can be seen by hovering over the DVArchive name in the DVArchive explorer or by clicking on the name and looking at the DVR Info panel."

That seems to indicate to me that they *should* see each other, which is not what I'm seeing here. In any case, Gerry said a few posts back that they won't work together.

I'm more concerned about this bit: "If you have DVArchive running on several computers, only one should be accessing the show files directories. Failure to do this will eventually result in corruption of your listing data."

Does anyone know what exactly is meant by "show files directories"? Does this statement mean that you can't have multiple computers running DVA 3.0 and downloading shows from your replay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm more concerned about this bit: "If you have DVArchive running on several computers, only one should be accessing the show files directories. Failure to do this will eventually result in corruption of your listing data."

Does anyone know what exactly is meant by "show files directories"? Does this statement mean that you can't have multiple computers running DVA 3.0 and downloading shows from your replay?

I take it too mean each instance of DVArchive running on a single machine should be pointed to UNIQUE storage areas, not a common area.

I think Gerry detailed this in a reply earlier in this thread.
post #183 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by replayitagain
[b]Hmmm... sorry if the last line in my last post was taken to be offensive - that wasn't the way I intended it. I was just relieved that I hadn't overwritten 2.1, which is working for me for the most part, when 3.0 crashed my replaytv and itself.

And I don't think Gerry owes any of us anything. He's written a nice little program for himself that he is kind enough to share with everyone.
A nice little program? Sounds like a backhanded compliment to me...

Quote:
If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't! While a software release like this wouldn't fly in the real world, that's not what we're working with - hell, even Gerry said that he knew this one would be buggy, and wants to find out what the bugs are so that he can come out with a point release next week.
Wouldn't fly in the real world? There may be a few bugs to fix, but I know a majority of users here would pay $10, $20 or maybe $100 for this program. Read the posts, people are begging to gove Gerry some money for his software. Sounds to me like it's "flying" in the real world.
post #184 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
He's written a nice little program for himself that he is kind enough to share with everyone. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't! While a software release like this wouldn't fly in the real world, that's not what we're working with
Jeeze, thanks again!

While I would never claim DVA is bug free, there are now a grand total of 12 reported problems for V3.0 (unique ones), 5 of which are not functional issues and only two which can directly impact operation for some folks. Out of nearly 35,000+ new lines of code.

I'm not so sure I like the "little program" part, but hey, that's opinion.

What I can say is that commercial software frequently has much worse performance on release than V3 has. And much slower turn around time on repair (I've already fixed 7 of the 12 problems and expect a patch release in a couple of days).

I write enterprise level products for a living (think millions of lines of code in business critical operations) and I feel pretty comfortable turning out new releases. Our company, more than most in our industry, works hard to eliminate bugs before a release and react quickly if any are found. DVAs bug level compared to most commercial software is in the "ain't bad" to "pretty darn good" category, at least based on my experience.

Stick with DVA V2.1 - whatever floats your boat.
post #185 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:21 AM

Gerry, I along with many others appreciate your hard work on projects like DVA and hope that you continue to provide us with usefull tools that make are ReplayTv's the #1 DVR on the market.
post #186 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Gerry, you don't have to defend yourself on this. I can't think of a piece of software I've bought (yes, paid $$$ for) that has been as stable or bug-free as DVArchive.

The only complaints you'll ever hear are from people who are too lazy to read the FAQ or those just not technically inclined enough to understand basic computer operation. When the inevitable bug does show up, someone is sure to point it out, and you seem to do a good job keeping up with fixes and answering questions.

I honestly think this program could easily sell for $100+. Hell, look at all the people willing to pay $100+ for Womble; usually just to edit out commercials! DVArchive is WAY more powerful, and adds real value to the Replay, probably more than any other single piece of software.

...OK, I'm done with the praise (it's the least I can do since I can't find a place to donate a couple bucks).

--Andy--
post #187 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

replayitagain,

Reading your posts I find that I too am greatly offended by your remarks and I'm not even the one you're specifically targeting.

You know most of us that write "third party" ReplayTV software write (or have written) software commercially so quite frankly your tone IS offensive whether you mean it to or not.

Gerry in particular runs alpha/beta programs more thoroughly than most commercial software companies -- no doubt a result of his own enterprise level work. DVA3 in particular was in alpha/beta testing for over EIGHT MONTHS, most commercial software companies release stuff after a few weeks of testing (mostly due to marketing department pressures).

(Most of my own RTV projects are open source and as such I tend to be more relaxed 'throwing it over the wall' so to speak but these releases are always marked 'beta' - but my 'audience' is a bit different.)

It's also true that no software application can and will ever be "bug free". It just doesn't work like that. What's important is that the effort is made on a continual basis.

In conclusion, replayitagain, you're not making many friends here...
post #188 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:49 AM

Jesus - is there a separate forum for *objective* discussion? Not many commercial software releases have integral parts of the program missing, or still include debugging code that prohibits functionality. For Pete's sake, the place I heard of this forum to begin with was that my software engineering professor used the dva 2.0 release fiasco as a case study in class!

My point was that this is *not* a commercial software release, and I think it's perfectly acceptable for Gerry to use the forum as a second beta test - he has absolutely zero responsibility to anyone on this - either to fix things that cause other people problems, or even to answer any of our questions. It's open source after all, so if you don't like the way it works, you can fix it yourself! The fact that he's willing to help out is a testament to what a nice guy he is.

But I don't think that should prohibit discussion of bugs or problems with the code - my understanding was that this forum was a place that we could compare our experiences with things like dva, as it's often very useful when debugging systems to find out if others are experiencing the same problems. The only reason I posted to begin with is that someone else had a problem that nobody was bothering to address, and I'd seen the same behavior on my end.
post #189 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Lee, you had one letter too many in your "many."

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #190 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jesus - is there a separate forum for *objective* discussion? Not many commercial software releases have integral parts of the program missing, or still include debugging code that prohibits functionality. For Pete's sake, the place I heard of this forum to begin with was that my software engineering professor used the dva 2.0 release fiasco as a case study in class!

My point was that this is *not* a commercial software release, and I think it's perfectly acceptable for Gerry to use the forum as a second beta test - he has absolutely zero responsibility to anyone on this - either to fix things that cause other people problems, or even to answer any of our questions. It's open source after all, so if you don't like the way it works, you can fix it yourself! The fact that he's willing to help out is a testament to what a nice guy he is.

But I don't think that should prohibit discussion of bugs or problems with the code - my understanding was that this forum was a place that we could compare our experiences with things like dva, as it's often very useful when debugging systems to find out if others are experiencing the same problems. The only reason I posted to begin with is that someone else had a problem that nobody was bothering to address, and I'd seen the same behavior on my end.
You've yet to be objective. Instead of just discussing the issues you have spared no opportunity to take a swipe at Gerry. THAT is what I (and others) find offensive.

Nothing wrong with discussing bugs, my problem is with your attitude.
post #191 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Lee, you had one letter too many in your "many."
I am the king of the typo when pissed off ;)
post #192 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you have problems, you post them and folks generally help out. As you said, it's free and not everything is going to get addressed. DVA enjoys a lot of folks helping out answering questions and it's a rare one that doesn't get any attention. And I receive lots of reports, requests for enhancements even criticisms that are very much appreciated. But they aren't taking such a nasty/snotty tone as yours have.

The objections (mine at least) are to your backhanded comments and vague recriminations. And even in your defense above, you do it again. Exactly what integral parts of the program are missing (and who are you to decide)? Exactly what debugging code prohibits functionality? Exactly what fiasco?

If you're going to make sweeping statements like that, you'd had better be prepared to back them up.

Read this thread and others on DVAs dvarchive.org forums, PlanetReplay and MacReplayTV. Filter out the very kind posts of folks saying thanks and count what you have left. Since DVA V3.0 was released, it's been downloaded 4700 times (that is since about 11PM Saturday night). There are a few folks who have had problems getting it running and many have since figured out a local problem that was stopping them. That leaves a handful of unfortunate folks who are not having much luck and I'm working with. How in any rationale view of the world is that a fiasco?

If you want a rationale discussion, start making one. State specific issues you'd like to see addressed and do so in a neutral tone. I'll engage virtually anyone rationally, but you're posts to date have had nearly no facts and plenty of vague condemnations/insults/etc. Without facts and a desire to actually engage in a discussion, all you are doing is trolling.
post #193 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is probably the killer ap for RTVs. Your offensive tone and condescending attitude ruin what otherwise possibly could be an objective discussion. Go back to engineering school, because you obviously have little or no professional experience.

When you can do better than what DVA provides, let's hear from you then.

Personally, the only thing I find annoying about DVA is that I can't pay for it in some way.

[moderator: comment removed]
post #194 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Goober, you made me literally laugh out loud. Well, at least chuckle.

DVA has been awesome since the beginning. The only "fiasco" I can think of with 2.0 is that it didn't support the 5xxx series, which wasn't out yet (right?) Then 2.1 came out immediately. Talk about service!

DVA replaced SwapDV, which was also pretty darn cool. I used that right up until the fiasco with *it* - the gnutella phase. Development was dropped pretty soon after that for legal reasons.

This release is amazing. The only bug I've had with it is that I can't actually schedule recordings (they populate my Replay Guide with no days checked). From Gerry's track record, I know this will get fixed, and Ialso know that I can live without it because it isn't like I had it before ;)

This release brings together pretty much everything I've ever wanted from DVArchive - ability to remotely schedule (ok, so it's not working for me - at least it's there!), real time updates of my guides, ability to manage my currently recorded shows (delete, transfer, etc), and even Web Playback, which I can't see a practical use for, but whatever :) AND it does everything DVArchive did before.

Dude.

If you have bugs, report them. If you have a wishlist, send it. But if you are just on the attack for no apparent reason, clarify and qualify.

A ham doesn't taste like pork chops, but that doesn't mean it's rhinoceros.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #195 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Gerry - totally awesome program. Thanks for all your hard work.

(Getting in before the thread is closed - post count = post count +1 :D )

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #196 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 12:04 PM

Lemme see... replayitagain registered just now and has a total of 3 posts, all of which attack the killer app that puts Replay well ahead of a Tivo IMO. Can you say troll?
post #197 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure... "troll".
post #198 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 12:11 PM

Very good, I knew you could! :D
post #199 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 12:20 PM

<Immense Gratitude>
3.0 Rocks! I'm Way impressed. Nice Job! Love the TV Guide with Scheduler, the Web server and being able to play two shows in a row.
</Immense Gratitdue>

<My question>
Is there a way to authenticate to my SMTP servers? I think the ones I have now require usernames and passwords. I think that's the reason I can't send emails.
</My question>

Thanks again!

P.S. BaysideBas, for the longest time I though you meant the "y."

Edit: Changed "What I want" to "My Question." Don't mean for it to take away from my sincere gratitude, just making fun of the formula.
post #200 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JenEric
Is there a way to authenticate to my SMTP servers? I think the ones I have now require usernames and passwords. I think that's the reason I can't send emails.
Unfortunatly, not in V3.0 :-(
post #201 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
P.S. BaysideBas, for the longest time I though you meant the "y."
And then you realized..... (after seeing the wench's post, no doubt) ;)

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #202 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 12:46 PM

Wow, 3 minute turn around time. And I didn't even pay the customer support fee. Thanks again and again and again.
post #203 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
Oh, well, then of course the program must suck, right . . . :rolleyes:

Again, great program. I thought 2.1 was an incredibly convenient tool. 3.0 just raised the bar even higher.

Edit: Reading through the post, I realized I wasn't clear. JenEric, I wasn't directing the rolling eyes towards you, just our common "friend".
post #204 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FlipFlop
I have a request: For the TV Guide conflicting shows email, could you add an option to ignore conflicting theme channels?
Speaking of the show conflict email, how about the option to not send an email if there are no conflicts?

The Dreamer

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #205 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
Speaking of the show conflict email, how about the option to not send an email if there are no conflicts?

The Dreamer
Well, but then I would be wondering is it really because there are no conflicts or did the computer crash or did the mail server screw up again? :)

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.

post #206 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

I was just thinking, where was MS Windows at revision level 3.0? Now that was a fine example of bug-free commercial software ;)
post #207 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey

Anyone know of any 'free' SMTP servers that don't require authentication?
post #208 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by f2000Keith
Anyone know of any 'free' SMTP servers that don't require authentication?
You could set up your own. As long as it's confined to your local network, it would prolly do the job just fine.

--
-mS
post #209 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FlipFlop
I was just thinking, where was MS Windows at revision level 3.0? Now that was a fine example of bug-free commercial software ;)
I think the worst was MS-DOS 4.0. Windows 3.0 was pretty iffy tho, wasn't until 3.11 that it began to have much use.

Although I think Windows ME is worse than 3.0 was tho... talk about rushed.
post #210 of 499 Old 03-23-2004, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

With 4.0, PC-DOS and MS-DOS began parting ways I think. It's fuzzy now, but there were some compatibility/interoperability issues as I recall.

3.11 in my opinion is the rev that legitimized Windows.

I still have my distribution disks for Windows 2.0 and 3.11. I think I threw out my OS/2 install disks a while ago.

Never had a problem with ME, but I sometimes feel I'm in the minority on that one.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page