IVS troubleshooting question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2004, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Replay 5040 keeps intermittently failing the IVS test and I'm trying to pin down the problem. A Net Connect seems to solve the problem temporarily, but nothing I've found has solved the problem for more than a day or so. Because of this I'm confident my port forwarding is correct. There's something else happening here...

First, my router (Linksys BEFSR41) has DHCP turned off and I've put a static IP address on the Replay. I suspect what is happening is that it is obtaining a different IP address from my SWBell DSL's DHCP. I'd like to be able to permanently assign an IP address to the Replay's MAC address, but my router won't do that. (That I can find, anyway.)

When the IVS test fails, this is the error I'm getting:
================================
Asked ReplayTV server about unit at ISN 00004-54831-40883.

Found on Replay server. IP does not match your PC, not revealing IP and port detail.

Unable to contact ReplayTV unit.
500 Can't connect to xx.xx.xx.xx:yyyyy (connect: timeout)
Check your port forwarding settings.
================================
IF the IP does not match my PC, well, that must mean the Replay has picked up another IP address somewhere, because the IP address SHOULD be the one showing on my router.

How can I determine what OTHER IP address the Replay might have picked up? How can I verify that this is in fact what has happened?

I guess my only other option, short of replacing the router with one to let me assign an IP to the MAC address, would be to turn DHCP back on, set the DHCP range at above .100, and turn DHCP back on inside the Replay. If I understand the Linksys documentation, that would let me keep the static IP addresses for my other network items (whose addresses are less than .100) and let the Replay do what it wants.

Suggestions, anyone?

--Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
If your ISN was in the range of
00004-54832-32762 to
00004-54832-35234
or close to it, then I would say you have the duplicate ISN problem as discussed briefly here and more so at Poopli. However, there are no reported cases so far in the 00004-54831-XXXXX range. I will monitor your ISN and see if I notice anything strange.

BTW, the ReplayTV does not report its IP to RDDNS. The RDDNS server merely uses whatever IP the update connection came from, which should be the WAN IP of your router. If IVS tester reports your PC's IP doesn't match that listed with RDDNS, then (assuming your PC and ReplayTV are both behind the same router) it is likely that either a) your WAN IP has changed and the ReplayTV hasn't updated RDDNS yet, b) you have a duplicate ISN, or c) you have some sort of transparent proxy issue.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
Old 06-07-2004, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, my monitoring has already been rewarded.
Code:
rddns lookup 00004-54831-40883
<UnitTicket isn="00004-54831-40883" ip="216.63.200.150" port="11246" lastupdated
date="2004-06-08 04:31:01" />

rddns lookup 00004-54831-40883
<UnitTicket isn="00004-54831-40883" ip="69.167.50.111" port="1024" lastupdatedda
te="2004-06-08 05:14:29" />
Houston, we have a problem. This duplicate ISN problem may be MUCH more widespread than previously thought. What a SNAFU!

BrianJohns, the good news is that sfhub and I have come up with a working solution for this problem that has already been used successfully several times. It is easy and takes 5 minutes. Please contact sfhub via PM, and he'll give you the details.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
Houston, we have a problem. This duplicate ISN problem may be MUCH more widespread than previously thought. What a SNAFU!

BrianJohns, the good news is that sfhub and I have come up with a working solution for this problem that has already been used successfully several times. It is easy and takes 5 minutes. Please contact sfhub via PM, and he'll give you the details. [/b]
WOW! Thanks for the fast response! I've been noodling around with stuff while you were testing, but that other IP address is definitely NOT mine.

So, what you're saying is that there is a batch Replays out there that have duplicate ISN numbers? Ewwww...

I will contact sfhub via PM immediately.

THANK YOU!!!! I've lost hours and hours to messing with this...!

--Brian
Old 06-08-2004, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianJohns
WOW! Thanks for the fast response! I've been noodling around with stuff while you were testing, but that other IP address is definitely NOT mine.

So, what you're saying is that there is a batch Replays out there that have duplicate ISN numbers? Ewwww...
Yes, so far there have been 5-6 reported cases, all within the range I posted above. Your ISN blows this range away. It is unclear now just how widespread this problem is.

In any case, sfhub should be able to take care of you, no problem. As for the other guy with your ISN, he needs to learn how to configure port forwarding on his router as I can't make contact with his unit.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Old 06-08-2004, 02:04 AM

im having same style issue can not get ivs to work yet port is fwd etc rtv 5160 ivs # 00004-54831-81760 please help hooked up thru a di-624 dlink
Old 06-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Ryancb, you will need to explain more about what problem you're having, what you've tried, and what happened when you tried it for us to help you. For example, if you tried testing your Replay with the IVS tester, you would have seen this:

Quote:
Asked ReplayTV server about unit at ISN 00004-54831-81760.

Found on Replay server. IP does not match your PC, not revealing IP and port detail.

500 Can't connect to xx.xx.xx.xx:yyyyy (connect: timeout)

There are now a few things you can try, but first make sure you have everything set up properly. Did you tell your router which port to forward to your Replay, and is the IP for your Replay still correct?

j.m. wrote a great beginner's guide on the Poopli forum that should probably be made into it's own sticky post. I'm going to reprint here for you:

Quote:
Setting up IVS is a two-part process. The first part is done on your ReplayTV and the second on your router.

Part One - The ReplayTV
1) Go to "Menu | Setup | Internet Identity and Address Book."

2) When prompted, enter the name of your choice for your ReplayTV. To make it easy for others to recognize your unit, it is nice to include your Poopli user name in the name of your ReplayTV.

3) When prompted for a port number, enter the number of an unused port on your network. This number should be higher than 1024. 29000 is generally a good choice. Remember this number, it is the "IVS PORT" that must be forwarded to your ReplayTV in your router later.

4) At some point during the above steps, your Internet Serial Number (ISN) should be visible in the menu screens. It will be in the form "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX." Write it down. This is the number you will enter for your ReplayTV on Poopli and is what others use to contact your ReplayTV for sending/receiving shows. Thus, it is a little like your ReplayTV's IVS phone number.

5) If you need to find out your ISN and IVS PORT later, you can do so at "Menu|Setup|System information|Video sharing."

Part Two - Router
1) Access your router's configuration screens. Normally, this is done by using a web browser. Consult your router's manual for details.

2) Look for a setting called port forwarding or (on some routers) virtual servers.

3) Create a port forwarding entry for your ReplayTV there. Enter the LAN IP address of your ReplayTV for the internal IP, enter the IVS PORT number specified on your ReplayTV (above) for external and internal port #, and choose TCP for the protocol. Save the settings. You may have to reboot your router.

4) NOTE: Despite what the ReplayTV manual says, DO NOT forward (open) any ports other than the IVS PORT. Also, DO NOT put the ReplayTV in the DMZ.

That is basically all there is to it.

Psst, I got yer TV shows right here, buddy.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

j.m. ...

I've seen you and Sfhub refer to your solution in the past.. .any reason you can't share it?

Peter
Old 07-18-2004, 06:40 PM

Boo HOO.. i have the "shared ISN number" for my replay problem as well. I P.M'd sfhub from poopli.com....

ISN: 00004-54832-33747
Old 07-22-2004, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm having problems getting IVS set up, too, but I"m not confident that I haven't done something wrong. I'm new to networking, so the world of IPs and ports is all new to me. I believe I set up my system properly. I set up a static IP on my RTV so the IP wouldn't change on me, and then went back in to the router to set up the port forwarding (called "virtual server" on my router) for the port # I assigned on the Replay. When I go to Poopli and click on the "test IVS connection" link, after entering my number, I get:

Asked ReplayTV server about unit at ISN 00004-54831-84526.
Found on Replay server.

The IP for your ReplayTV is ww.xx.yy.zz
The Port for your ReplayTV is 1234
500 read timeout

Note that mine says "read timeout", not "connect timeout" like others are getting. The IP that's listed when I check my connection is the same IP that's listed as "WAN IP" when I look at the router's internal web page:

INTERNET
Cable/DSL: CONNECTED
WAN IP: ww.xx.yy.zz
Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0
Gateway: ww.xx.yy.za
Primary DNS: aaa.bbb.ccc.d
Secondary DNS: ff.ggg.hh.iii

Of all those addresses (WAN IP, Gateway, primary DNS, secondary DNS), is "WAN IP" the one my RTV is supposed to be reporting to the myreplaytv server?

Thank you,
Confused in the NW
Old 07-22-2004, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The WAN IP is what replay should see. The WAN IP in conjunction with the port... WANIP:port is how the replay will address your system. When the port number is grabbed by your router that will be resolved to your local IP for the replay. Say you use 50400 as your port

WANIP:50400 hits your router, port comes in as 50400, router resolves that to LAN IP 192.168.0.200 (or whatever your LAN IP is) the traffic will then make it to your box.

So, the big question is do you have the port forwarding done correctly on the router? You have the box using 1234, BTW this is a bad idea to use low port numbers, choose one above 10000 to be safe. Low numbers are often reserved for special things.

What IP is your router configured to forward port 1234 to?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:42 AM

I changed my port from 1234 to 30000 on both my RTV and my router, and Lunatic Haven's IVS tester now says:

Successfully contacted ReplayTV unit.

Looks like port 1234 was the problem after all.

Thank you!
Old 07-24-2004, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sometimes port 1234 gets blocked somewhere down the line because it
is a known backdoor trojan.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't recommend using any port below 2049. Too many of them used by too many applications. For that matter, use a port above 32767.

Don't sweat petty things, and don't pet sweaty things.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:29 PM

Sorry for asking such a stupid questions but I still don't fully understand what the solution was to Snoutmeat's question/inquiry.

I get the same message from the IVS tester. I looked at the "bridging" between my two Buffalo routers and everything seems to be fine. I went to Setup on the Replay and chose to connect to ReplayTV Service now. The thing downloaded the new guides, updated everything just fine and dandy. So does this mean that my replay is connecting to the net correctly and the bridge works?

How does that affect my ability to use internet video sharing? A friend told me he couldn't contact my Replay unit and I guess the tester confirms it. I guess my most basic question is: Even though my Replay unit can connect to the Replay service, does that not necessarily mean that I can do video sharing? By the way, I have been sending shows to other users for a while before it stopped working. I'm wondering what could have changed in the system. Does it sound like the Replay unit? the bridge/router? all components?

00004-54832-36834
Port 29000

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Port 29000 on your router is not open to outside world. Running a scan on your WANIP:29000 port returns the following:
Code:
PORT      STATE    SERVICE
29000/tcp filtered unknown
If things are working properly the STATE should be open instead of filtered or closed.

If everything is working properly and the port is properly opened up you should be able to get a response for following query:
http://WANIP:29000/ivs-IVSGetUnitInfo

Also, just because net connects work for your RTV doesn't mean IVS setup is automatically correct. Net connects (for guide updates) don't need any open ports to function properly.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

Old 07-28-2004, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by moyekj
If everything is working properly and the port is properly opened up you should be able to get a response for following query:
http://WANIP:29000/ivs-IVSGetUnitInfo
I lost track of who's asking the questions. I don't think Buffalo added
loopback so that URL will work if you connect from dialup or from anywhere
but your LAN. Easier to use the Poopli IVS tester to test port forwarding.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
I lost track of who's asking the questions. I don't think Buffalo added
loopback so that URL will work if you connect from dialup or from anywhere
but your LAN. Easier to use the Poopli IVS tester to test port forwarding.
True, just providing additional things to try since he is aware of the Poopli tester already. You can try it from someplace outside the LAN such as work, local library, a friend, etc. In any case I'm quite sure that port is not open as port scanning reveals. In fact there are no open ports on this WANIP from my tests which suggests perhaps the router NAT setup was reset to factory defaults.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:26 AM

I went to my router's configuration page and saw in (I can't quite remember which page on Buffalo's configuration setup) port forwarding that port 29000 was inserted there. I guess my confusion here is that although my router's information shows all my new settings for hookup to the Replay (IP address, subnet mask, Gateway, DNS Server, etc.) is still there, I figured that the Buffalo is not back to factory defaults.

I thought by manually entering network setup information on the Repaly would disallow "automatic" changes to my network connection. Should I go through the steps again for IVS sharing as in the above post by MaxH? I just glanced through it but didn't do it step-by-step again. So although my guides and all get updated, IVS doesn't seem to working because the port isn't open. And I can resolve this through my router and NOT the Repaly unit itself.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richdude98210
I went to my router's configuration page and saw in (I can't quite remember which page on Buffalo's configuration setup) port forwarding that port 29000 was inserted there. I guess my confusion here is that although my router's information shows all my new settings for hookup to the Replay (IP address, subnet mask, Gateway, DNS Server, etc.) is still there, I figured that the Buffalo is not back to factory defaults.
Are you sure that the port forwarding is using the correct RTV LAN IP? It could well be that your RTV LAN IP changed recently without your knowledge, especially if you are using DHCP. If the port forwarding is still there but you are forwarding to the wrong LAN IP then obviously that's the problem. Double check the RTV LAN IP versus the router port forwarding setting.

You could well be suffering from the RTV DHCP bug. Since you have the Buffalo the best way to configure things is setup your RTVs to use DHCP. Then, in router settings do as follows:
LAN settings -> DHCP server
Locate the RTV IP address and click on "Manual" button such that DHCP will always assign this address to the RTV.

Now check port forwarding:
Network settings -> Address Translation
Make sure that your IVS port maps to the proper IP address of LAN (the RTV IP)

With this setup you will never suffer from the DHCP bug and your RTV will always get the same IP address so you don't have to worry about things changing on you.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, see the following post for Buffalo specific IVS help:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...13#post3924013

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Old 07-29-2004, 02:53 PM

Actually, I thought I tried to set the IP address manually so that the "automatic" configuration wouldn't change anything unnecessarily. Now that you mentioned it, I am not 100% sure if I had set up DHCP and a friend of mine asked me if I did when I set it up and I still didn't look into it. But is it possible that the IP address could change for some reason? The only thing that I could think of that I did was I tried to modify the setup for my laptop to connect with the router. The router wasn't being seen by my laptop so I did a reboot and everything worked after that. It wasn't until about a week later that I realized that IVS wasn't working. By reboot I mean I unplugged the router for a few seconds and then plugged it back in. That's odd because everything but IVS works now.

Thanks for the detailed help, J.M. I'll try this when I get home.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:16 AM

OK,

J.M. was right. I looked at my LAN IP settings on the router and everything that I had put in was still there. At least I thought it was. I noticed that the radio button for the RTV's IP address (or for other devices) was switched back to "automatic" and not in manual like I last left it. For devices that I am going to hook up to my bridge (XBox, Playstation, etc.) I put in a range of IP address so that the router can pick them up automatically. I put in the range xxx.xxx.xxx.Z where the Z could be anywhere from 1 through 5. I noticed that my RTV now had a value of Z = 3 which I didn't notice right away. It should be 1. So I switched the "input" mode back to manual and put 1 back in there. Now it works like a champ.

One thing I was wondering though is I know I originally set it to "manual" as I've said in previous posts but right now I just saw it was set to "automatic". The only thing I possibly could have done that might have affected this is when I reset the router when I was trying to hookup my laptop. Is it possible Buffalo might allow manual settings to stay there but switch to automatic?

A word to newbies out there (and I'm still one of you!) trying to figure this out: read all the advice and instruction from these "power" users and check your setting. Then check them again. It works and its all good.

Thanks guys, you are da bomb!