New 45xx. Clock updating problem ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 4040 that I liked so much that I decided to purchase a second replay unit from ebay. It's a 4504 that seems to be in excellent condition. I just received it Friday afternoon, and I'm tinkering with today.

I have it hooked up to a spare TV with cable and an internet connection with cat5 cable, and everything is hooked up correctly.

Everything appears to boot up fine and display the normal series of boot screens, and it appears to be working fine, but up to a point. I seem to be stuck at the primary ReplayTV screen. The Red/Blue/Green swirled ReplayTV screen that shows three options:

=================================
(R) replaytv

1. To watch shows on television, press CHANNEL GUIDE.
2. To watch recorded shows, press REPLAY GUIDE.
3. For other options, press MENU.

Whenever I select any of the three options, I see a popup window that displays:
=============================
Service Activation

The ReplayTV clock is not up to date.
It should be updated in a minute or two.

I continue to wait, and have waited countless minutes and re-select any of the options and I continue to get the same activation screen.

I've pressed and held in the power button for the soft reboot.
I entered 243 [Replay Guide].
I've unplugged the power cord for thirty seconds and plugged it back in for a hard boot.
I have hooked directly to the cable modem thinking there could be a problem with the router set-up.
I've tried a different cat5 cable.
I have "soft" rebooted between many of the troubleshooting items above.

None of those troubleshooting items have helped.

If the problem is caused by a need to be activated, how am I suppose to retrieve the serial number, or is this being caused by something else like a bad/damaged hard drive?

Thanks for any insight and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
did you try 243 Zones, then some of the options there like reset partition?

I'd double check the router, make sure it's set for DHCP. Watch it's activity lites when the Replay is plugged in to see if it's communicating.

"Beneath the surface of the mud...... there's more mud still.......Surprise" -- CSN
post #3 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Rempalski
like reset partition?
That one doesn't do anything. It's a leftover from an early ReplayTV series where they changed the format of the file system after it was released.

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site: www.replaytvupgrade.com
post #4 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry Gary, I haven't seen this before or had any hangs like this, is there any "factory reset" command? It seems that it's not communicating?

"Beneath the surface of the mud...... there's more mud still.......Surprise" -- CSN
post #5 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Duh... Boy do I feel a bit stupid. For some reason, and I don't know why, I've been pressing 243 [replay guide] instead of 243 [replay zones]. At least I can now get the 243 menu. Thanks for politely reminding me.

As I pressed the 243 buttons, I noticed the time difference of five hours from my actual time. At least the clock is working.

I pressed number 8 for refreshing the partition, and the replay unit states that it doesn't need refreshing at the moment. While I was here, there were two additional things that I did. I cleared the "2-Channel Guide, and then I tried a "7-Net Connect".

When I tried the net connect, it tried to connect using the modem port. Perhaps this is causing my problem. Is there a command that I can use to get into the settings and change my connect type from modem to ether net?
post #6 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Instead of trying to troubleshoot each problem, why don't you do a factory reset to restore everything to a 'like new' state? That way you can set everything up from scratch. 382 zones is the command.

--Andy--
post #7 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chain777
Instead of trying to troubleshoot each problem, why don't you do a factory reset to restore everything to a 'like new' state? That way you can set everything up from scratch. 382 zones is the command.
I second chains suggestion, do a 382 zones factory reset.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Just before I performed the 382 zones, I did a 411 zones on it and received all of the information about it. This roughly indicates to me the unit isn't dead.

When I performed the 382 command, it started through it's cycle. It came to the choice of ethernet or modem and I chose ethernet, and I entered my zip code. I didn't have any success, so I connected the Repaly unit directly to the cable modem without a router in between. No success again. The replay unit stated that it was unable to contact the server both times. I know for a fact that the cat5 cable is good.

Normally I see activity lights on the cable modem whenever I am connected to the internet, however I noticed there didn't seem to be any activity lights on the cable modem when I was connected through the router or connected directly to the cable modem. I'm starting to strongly suspect the ethernet card for the unit could be bad/dead.

I'm wondering if I could switch out the ethernet card from my 4000 unit into my 4500 unit? This way I might be able to tell for sure.

Also, if the ethernet card is bad for some reason, is there a place that I can purchase another one?
post #9 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I don't what I may have done, but the unit is now making a connection, and it has downloaded all of the correct content and settings. Strange...

Thanks for everyones input and help. If I continue to have any problems, I will let everyone know.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to add that I would still like to know if anyone knows where replacement ethernet cards can be purchased for the 45xx units, so that I can have the information handy just in case my problem was related to the card.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarrington
I forgot to add that I would still like to know if anyone knows where replacement ethernet cards can be purchased for the 45xx units
Do a search for a Netgear FA311. It's a low profile card that uses the same chipset so it'll replace the OEM NIC in a 40XX or 45XX.

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site: www.replaytvupgrade.com
post #12 of 19 Old 08-14-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the card information!
post #13 of 19 Old 08-15-2004, 03:27 PM

I just had the same thing after H. Charley and I can't get it going either. I had cable for about 20 min but I didn't remember 243 zones either so I didn't try. I REALLY don't want to lose the 70 hrs of shows I have. Thanks for the confirmation that a connect fixes this. I will try the phone update.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-20-2004, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarrington
have a 4040 that I liked so much that I decided to purchase a second replay unit from ebay. It's a 4504 that seems to be in excellent condition. I just received it Friday afternoon, and I'm tinkering with today.

I have it hooked up to a spare TV with cable and an internet connection with cat5 cable, and everything is hooked up correctly.

Everything appears to boot up fine and display the normal series of boot screens, and it appears to be working fine, but up to a point. I seem to be stuck at the primary ReplayTV screen. The Red/Blue/Green swirled ReplayTV screen that shows three options:

(R) replaytv

1. To watch shows on television, press CHANNEL GUIDE.
2. To watch recorded shows, press REPLAY GUIDE.
3. For other options, press MENU.

Whenever I select any of the three options, I see a popup window that displays:
Service Activation

The ReplayTV clock is not up to date.
It should be updated in a minute or two.
I'm having the same clock issue on a 4504 I bought. I reloaded the drive image & it wouldn't connect with modem or NIC. Reset to Factory & forced a NIC connection--it downloded all updates, rebooted & wound up with the clock issue--showed 12/31/2000 1800:00 & started keeping time from there. I spent an hour on the phone with level 2 & we went through all the stuff that's been discussed to no avail. I've come to the conclusion the clock has crapped out & I've got a parts machine to support my other 5 RTVs <G>.

If anyone has new info for a fix, I would be deeply indebted.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-20-2004, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Try unplugging your replay for 1 minute, boot it back up and force the net connect (243 zones screen option 7). The clock will be updated during the net connect. If nescessary, repeat the procedure a second time .
post #16 of 19 Old 11-22-2004, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Try unplugging your replay for 1 minute, boot it back up and force the net connect (243 zones screen option 7). The clock will be updated during the net connect. If nescessary, repeat the procedure a second time .
I can't count the times I've done this <G>. It connects & updates everything BUT the clock. It hangs on "setting clock" for a full minute before moving on through the rest of the update in short order. If I try to change setings & update in Setup, it times out on the clock every time.

Sigh...my Replay is stuck in 2000 & I'm stuck in the sixties.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-22-2004, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

(Just thinking aloud here while waiting for my burner to finish the DVD+RW it's gnawing on.)

Kind of wierd don't you think? I can easily see a clock with a serious drift of many minutes or even hours (abet, a very extreme case) per day. Also, I can very easily see a similar condition as to what afflicts my RTV-2004, which is that the capacitor which powers the RTC when unplugged is pretty much shot, so after being unplugged for more than a few hours the unit reverts to 1/1/1998 (or is it 1999?). But to not even update the clock? Not doubting you one bit - I know it's possible, just not something that one would expect.

Hopefully it's not a lifetimed unit, that would realy suck. An LSA & every day is Y2k New Years! *FaWWEEEEEE!*

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-22-2004, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

You might want to try factory reseting the software (382 zones). Other than that, maybe the clock capacitor is shorted.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-22-2004, 01:27 PM

I've done countless 382 resets, reloaded the HDD, & everything else I could think of & no cigar. The clock ticks along fine...just won't reset on RTV's servers. Starts over @ 2000 after being unpluged for several hours. Wish it had a CMOS battery, cuz it would be dead & I could replace it. I guess it has something on the order of a Real Time Clock, like older PCs. Can't see anything on the motherboard that resembles that.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page