post #91 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by moyekj
Now you have me confused... maybe I just haven't got enough sleep lately. I thought you had verified that enabling DisableSoftwareDownload would prevent a software update? Or is the problem that the setting is not sticky and is reset by the mothership (which doesn't make much sense as it makes the setting useless)?
I think it is just a matter of 100% guaranteed to work vs "it's software"
and can change in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D

At the current moment I have one box that has gone from build 19 (140) to 144 all my other boxes are still at the old software. I've been disconnecting the ethernet cables until I find a better solution. =)
I'm confused. I thought you had verified that setting DisableSoftwareDownload 1 does prevent the upgrade?

[EDIT - Oops, moyekj beat me to it.]

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #93 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
There was a NoSoftwareUpdate.dll plugin for WiRNS 0.7, but I do not believe that kjac has updated it for 1.x yet.
Couldn't we just use GetShellCommands.dll and put regedit commands in the shellcommands file?
post #94 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conspiracy
Couldn't we just use GetShellCommands.dll and put regedit commands in the shellcommands file?
For the DisableSoftwareDownload regedit value, yes. However, I'm still not clear on whether a) it actually works 100% and b) it will continue to do so. The WiRNS plugin completely blocks/hijacks the ReplayTV's actual request to check for new software, which should work even if DisableSoftwareDownload isn't effective.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
post #95 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
The WiRNS plugin completely blocks/hijacks the ReplayTV's actual request to check for new software, which should work even if DisableSoftwareDownload isn't effective.
However the downside of that method is you have to PERMANENTLY keep Wirns proxy running 24/7 and point the RTV DNS at the Wirns server.

The problem with staying with older software, even if it works now, is that the handshaking mechanism could be changed at any time on DNNA side once they assume all relevant units have received the software update to handle the new handshaking. It looks like this may be the start of a real need to completely take DNNA servers out of the picture for activation check, guide & clock updates, etc.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #96 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
Since we have reports on 143 and 144 here and on Planet Replay, it looks like the only difference in 144 is the 55xx whammy.
Are there confirmed reports of 143 on 5500's?

All I recall was somebody saying they had gotten 143 and wanted to know what was new in it.

The Dreamer

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #97 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What if you hexedited the the 144 to 143 so the server would think you had the appropriate version
post #98 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
What if you hexedited the the 144 to 143 so the server would think you had the appropriate version
I sure hope you are joking because there's none to no chance this would work.
post #99 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
I sure hope you are joking because there's none to no chance this would work.
I'm guilty of not following the thread. It seemed simple enough
post #100 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Even if build 143 can be locked in and preserved, it would seem like a better solution to figure out how to get wirns to restore the CA and IVS functionality on the 144 build (and maybe all over again for future updates). (Easy for me to say, since I don't have a clue as to what's actually involved in doing this).

Clearly this is self-serving (since I was an early double victim of the 144 plague). Nonetheless, there are undoubtedly many others like me who would like to get CA and/or IVS back, but don't want to go through the efforts to archive their shows, yank out their HDDs, load on a 143 image, wirns off software updating, and then lose the 144 (and future) software enhancements. Not to mention that this procedure is still in the early test/verify stage and may have unforseen problems.

Since my original post two days ago, you guys have really soured me to the re-imaging approach and made me a wirns convert. I, and I'm sure hordes of others, really appreciate the efforts many of you are making to solve this latest puzzle.
post #101 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
However the downside of that method is you have to PERMANENTLY keep Wirns proxy running 24/7 and point the RTV DNS at the Wirns server.
Well, people that use WiRNS for guide data would already be doing this....so it isn't that much of a downside....plus wasn't that the 'official' purpose for WiRNS? ;)

I use WiRNS for guide data (for OTA HDTV) and only this.....

The Dreamer.

As for the hexedit comment: Well, IIRC the ReplayTV knows what version it is running and checks at every net connect what the latest available version is...and then downloads if it finds a newer version available.

Though I don't know why I'm getting so involved....DNNA has just increased the potential resale value of all my ReplayTVs :D Though you'll have to pry them out of my cold dead hands....wonder if I should update my will .... ;)

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #102 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok.

I'm not a replay newbie, nor am I computer illiterate. I have had Wirns running for some time, but had no need for "get shell commands".

I just added a 5504 to my network. It still has 190 software.

So, if someone would be so kind as to tell me:

1 - how to use GetShellCommands and;
2 - how to put the regedit into getshellcommands as conspiracy notes here

I would be glad to be the guineapig.

John
post #103 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Bigjohns, all the info you need is available in j.m. signature. This sums things up very concisely:
http://s95184944.onlinehome.us/GetSh...nds/README.TXT
Get the plugin here:
http://s95184944.onlinehome.us/GetSh...mands_v1.1.zip
Add to "shellcmds" file the following in addition to the other 2 entries:
regedit setval SysConfig/Tweak DisableSoftwareDownload 1

NOTE: Someone would need to setup a network sniffer and really monitor all interactions with DNNA server to see if this DisableSoftwareDownload indeed has any effect. If you have already set this entry and haven't received the software yet you won't know for another couple of weeks if it's really working when the new software rollout has really had time to reach most units - we all know from prior experience it takes a few weeks for a new software update to rollout to all users.

post #104 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem with staying with older software, even if it works now, is that the handshaking mechanism could be changed at any time on DNNA side once they assume all relevant units have received the software update to handle the new handshaking.
DejaVu, we discussed this here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...45#post3798245

Though at the time neither of us felt DNNA had the energy to make more
OS changes.
post #105 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns

I would be glad to be the guineapig.

John
Cool. Now if you we can get DarkScreen to be one as well we could get even faster feedback.

DarkScreen, if you have an old drive that you can put an old version of the Replay software on, you can then use GetShells to flip the DisableSoftwareDownload bit and then do a 'Check for new Software'. Since they've associated your S/N with the new software, your box should try and download the new one.

If it doesn't do it that's a good sign that flipping the bit alone worked.
post #106 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
DejaVu, we discussed this here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...45#post3798245
Yes I recall that discussion and agree with you, that's why I think ultimately the only sure way of preventing unwanted changes is to take DNNA servers out of the picture completely - but then that borders on taboo territory (because of activation checks) and the whole El Gammal issue. I guess a few RTV engineers are keeping busy still :) (though with wrong priorities from our perspective).

post #107 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
DarkScreen, if you have an old drive that you can put an old version of the Replay software on, you can then use GetShells to flip the DisableSoftwareDownload bit and then do a 'Check for new Software'. Since they've associated your S/N with the new software, your box should try and download the new one.
The experiment that Conspiracy suggests sounds like an interesting one to try. My largest available drive is a whopping 1GB, which, even if it was recognized by the RTV, may mask or cause other unrelated problems.

I'm still not convinced that DisableSoftwareDownload is the best tactic to take. Seems like a stopgap measure until the experts can figure out how to put CA and IVS back into 55xx machines running the new software.

I guess disabling the new software download makes more sense if it turns out that the gurus either aren't able to get CA and IVS to work on 144 builds or it takes them a long time to get there.
post #108 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkScreen
I'm still not convinced that DisableSoftwareDownload is the best tactic to take. Seems like a stopgap measure until the experts can figure out how to put CA and IVS back into 55xx machines running the new software.

I guess disabling the new software download makes more sense if it turns out that the gurus either aren't able to get CA and IVS to work on 144 builds or it takes them a long time to get there.
My gut feeling is that this one isn't going to have an easy solution. I think we will find something, but it is most likely going to be inconvenient in that it will require running WiRNS 24/7 and/or downgrading to a build prior to 144.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
post #109 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 04:24 PM

The worst part is, I'm sure the RTV Engineers are reading this thread and getting a kick out of it. :( It's a game of cat & mouse now!
post #110 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clambert11
The worst part is, I'm sure the RTV Engineers are reading this thread and getting a kick out of it. :( It's a game of cat & mouse now!
Who knows how many of them (if there even exist that many) lurk around here and see what we are doing with their machines and software :)
post #111 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 04:28 PM

I imagine the engineers are pissed. I presume they don't like their hard work and innovations being ripped out of the product. I further imagine that DNNA would prefer the status quo. This has lawyers written all over it.
post #112 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I imagine the engineers are pissed. I presume they don't like their hard work and innovations being ripped out of the product. I further imagine that DNNA would prefer the status quo. This has lawyers written all over it.
Or maybe it was just an attempt to patch the software to finally get updates to those folks with units that just fail to load the updates.

Ca doesn't bother me that much, if they go after dva streaming than I may dump my replay units. Of course as backup both units are hooked to dvd recorders with nice harddrives.
Not as convient but it works.

webmaster@distributed-home.com
post #113 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I imagine the engineers are pissed. I presume they don't like their hard work and innovations being ripped out of the product.
In the year since the 55xx was introduced and through various layoffs I'm
sure they are over it by now.
post #114 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Will having GetShellCommands runnign with the parameters discussed have a negative impact on 5040 machines on the same network as a 5504?

OH - and where do you set your IVS unit name again?
post #115 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
Will having GetShellCommands runnign with the parameters discussed have a negative impact on 5040 machines on the same network as a 5504?

OH - and where do you set your IVS unit name again?
Unless you change the DNS on the 5040 machines AND force a net connect for them they won't even go through the Wirns proxy so no worries there. Obviously one impact if you were to point the 5040 machines at the Wirns server is they would also theoretically not accept software updates.

post #116 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 PM

I've got a 5504 running version 530511410. I'm not sure what build that is (how do I tell?) but I do believe it has the CC fix, as it was pushed to me specifically for that purpose (I never agreed to any sort of NDA). I do have CA and IVS enabled, and am in no danger of my software being, um, downgraded as it is not currently hooked up to a network. If I can be of any help, let me know.

cosmicg
post #117 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cosmicg
I've got a 5504 running version 530511410. I'm not sure what build that is (how do I tell?) but I do believe it has the CC fix, as it was pushed to me specifically for that purpose (I never agreed to any sort of NDA). I do have CA and IVS enabled, and am in no danger of my software being, um, downgraded as it is not currently hooked up to a network. If I can be of any help, let me know.

cosmicg
Very interesting... if you could pull your drive and make a copy of the image on it there would be many grateful souls in this forum. It would be interesting to examine the contents of the image to find out how it's different than those with same software rev but CA/IVS disabled. But before that while you are watching a program press 411 Zones and confirm that the software version you have is indeed 530511410 and let us know the date accompanying that version.

post #118 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Unless you change the DNS on the 5040 machines AND force a net connect for them they won't even go through the Wirns proxy so no worries there. Obviously one impact if you were to point the 5040 machines at the Wirns server is they would also theoretically not accept software updates.
That's what I'm asking - because I've been using wirns for months now for my guide updates...

John
post #119 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 07:21 PM

It is version 530511410 (not 530511440, which I believe is the newest one) and was built on March 2. This software was released to my Replay to fix CC problems, I don't know what the differences are between it and 530511440 (again, I never received or agreed to any sort of NDA). I'd be happy to pull the drive, but I want to make sure this would be useful, as it is not the newest version.

cosmicg
post #120 of 655 Old 08-19-2004, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh never mind then - if it's not the latest then it's likely you will be eventually be "upgraded" to the latest and lose CA/IVS. I'm too dislexic to distinguish between 530511410 and 530511440 without paying close attention to detail. Dropping all but the last 3 digits makes it much more obvious.

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page