Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by wg21

If you believe otherwise than you are part of the problem not the solution!!
If you're looking for an argument, you're not going to find it in this thread. The last thing that needs to happen is clogging this lengthy thread up with crap.

-- Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 01:35 PM

So is there a way to flip the bit for "no download" without getting the software update during the WiRNS net connect?
post #183 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Oy.

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #185 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wg21
You have a right to do it under your tos, thats ok,
So what part of this (from the manual, under "Software License Agreement") don't you understand?:
Quote:
You acknowledge and agree that DNNA may periodically update, modify
or enhance the Software remotely through the RTVS

-Gary
ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RChobby
So is there a way to flip the bit for "no download" without getting the software update during the WiRNS net connect?
There is an unconfirmed parameter that you can send using WiRNS that may prohibit a software download. I could be wrong, but it hasn't been confirmed to do what we are hoping it will. It doesn't seem like enough software downloads have occured yet to verify one way or the other. We're hoping it does the trick though.

Add the following to J.M.'s shellcmds for WiRNS:
regedit setval SysConfig/Tweak DisableSoftwareDownload 1

It was taken from Post #154 of this ongoing novel. ;)
post #187 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clambert11
There is an unconfirmed parameter that you can send using WiRNS that may prohibit a software download. I could be wrong, but it hasn't been confirmed to do what we are hoping it will. It doesn't seem like enough software downloads have occured yet to verify one way or the other. We're hoping it does the trick though.

The problem, which RChobby is alluding to, is that if your units' SN is already in the group that can download the new software then the above won't help. You see, upon net connecting via WiRNS to set the above regedit value, the RTV will also download the new software because the regedit value won't take effect until at least the conclusion of the net connect (and perhaps only after a reboot). The solution for such unlucky people is to update the NoSoftwareUpdate.dll plugin for 1.x, which I will look into doing.

Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #188 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Yeah but someone earlier today got the updated software pushed to his replaytv during the WiRNS netconnect procedure. Is there a work-around to prevent that?
post #189 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
The problem, which RChobby is alluding to, is that if your units' SN is already in the group that can download the new software then the above won't help. You see, upon net connecting via WiRNS to set the above regedit value, the RTV will also download the new software because the regedit value won't take effect until at least the conclusion of the net connect (and perhaps only after a reboot). The solution for such unlucky people is to update the NoSoftwareUpdate.dll plugin for 1.x, which I will look into doing.
Are these bits we are flipping (with WiRNS) in non-volatile RAM on the motherboard, or just in the O.S.?
post #190 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Unfortunately the shellcmds actions are effected AFTER a new software check during the net connect, so you may not prevent the software update from occuring while setting up Wirns to do exactly that. An easy change to Wirns 1.x could be made (and I believe was one of the plugins in the 0.7x release) to "fake" that portion of the transaction to prevent software download from happening. Of course this all may be a mute point as AFAIK we have no confirmation the now infamous registry setting actually has any effect on preventing a download in the first place. In any case, during the net connect targeted at Wirns with the shellcmds, watch the RTV messages closely, and if a new software download is initiated then just pull the plug on the ethernet right away and cancel the net connect then try again in a few minutes. If it's already too late and you have the new software you'll have to re-image the drive and try again.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.

post #191 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got this running on my computer (wirns with shell commands) and my 5504 (just put on the network last night, but it's used so it probably is already in the database....)

But I've done 4 force net connects and it still shows 190 software.

post #192 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are these bits we are flipping (with WiRNS) in non-volatile RAM on the motherboard, or just in the O.S.?
They are software registry settings in files (on hard drive).

post #193 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
I've got this running on my computer (wirns with shell commands) and my 5504 (just put on the network last night, but it's used so it probably is already in the database....)

But I've done 4 force net connects and it still shows 190 software.
Big J you lucked out. I'm going to clone my h.d. before I do this, just to be on the safe side. Maybe I'll put in a larger disk at the same time and pack away the original for safe keeping.
post #194 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 03:17 PM

Is there a way to confirm the settings on the unit? I know CA and ISV are easy but what about:

Thanks
post #195 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 03:38 PM

Quote:
The solution for such unlucky people is to update the NoSoftwareUpdate.dll plugin for 1.x, which I will look into doing.
I started looking into this yesterday but I can't find any documentation on the plugin interface.
post #196 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsulliva
Is there a way to confirm the settings on the unit? I know CA and ISV are easy but what about:

Thanks
You can use the pvtio shell (through serial connection between a PC and the RTV) to query (and set) registry settings - see Twiki site for details. The shell itself can be enabled via Wirns shellcmds commands, but once the shell is enabled you then need to make a custom serial cable to connect PC to RTV serial port in order to access it.
Perhaps an easier way, if you have photo partition is to use the following shellcmds command (as j.m. detailed in another thread):
cp /name/system/user/Registry/ /name/storage/Photo/

The other way to confirm the setting is to make an image of the hard drive. Then it's just a question of looking for the right file with the setting. Either way, it's more effort than it's worth just to confirm a single registry setting that may not have any value.

post #197 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conspiracy
I started looking into this yesterday but I can't find any documentation on the plugin interface.
No need. It's done. It should prevent updates, but it is hard to test. :) Get it here. Source code is included (required only minor changes from the old version for 0.7). This version should work with both WiRNS 0.7 and 1.x.

I recommend using this in conjunction with the regedit value and GetShellCommands as discussed above. Please post any successes or failures here.

Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #198 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 03:52 PM

Quote:
No need. It's done. It should prevent updates, but it is hard to test. :) Get it here. Source code is included (required only minor changes from the old version for 0.7). This version should work with both WiRNS 0.7 and 1.x.

I recommend using this in conjunction with the regedit value and GetShellCommands as discussed above. Please post any successes or failures here.
Thanks j.m.! This needs to be in the same folder as WiRNS, I assume.
post #199 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks j.m.! This needs to be in the same folder as WiRNS, I assume.
plug-in directory
post #200 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Well I guess with Tivo getting IVS now and me losing it, I'll be puttin the ReplayTV on eBay and going with peer pressure to Tivo. Will be interesting to see how many 5504 show up on eBay next week, might be a fire sale.
I'm rather surprised how many people have 55xx's when 50xx availability has been virtually uninterrupted (unless you are paranoid about refurbs). You can get 5040's for $80 any day of the week, why buy a lesser box for more money?
post #201 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by el borak
I'm rather surprised how many people have 55xx's when 50xx availability has been virtually uninterrupted (unless you are paranoid about refurbs). You can get 5040's for $80 any day of the week, why buy a lesser box for more money?
Good question indeed...I wonder how quickly those $79.99 refurbs will fly out the warehouse door now?
post #202 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 05:14 PM

Need an expert to comment.

My unit say 530510190, so I did the WiRNS 0.7a run with the new command. Did my force connect, etc got some errors in the DOS window. P.S. I've used WiRNS before.

Ran again, this time it said new software was install and it needs to reboot. Press "Select" to continue or "exit" to not reboot. Pressed "EXIT"

Check my unit still says 530510190, so I unplugged it, power it down and back in to let it go through its startup.

STILL 530510190

Installed WiRNS 1.1.2b, added the plug-ins including the new NO SOFTWARE and did a force connect.

Once again it wants to reboot to apply new software but again I say to "EXIT". Still says 530510190.

QUESTION:
Wouldn't it apply the software after I unplugged it and plugged it back in?
If so did I successfully stop the new patch?
post #203 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mhargr03
Good question indeed...I wonder how quickly those $79.99 refurbs will fly out the warehouse door now?
During last sweepstakes you could get 5504 refurb for $350 (including activation) and free shipping, which makes it $50 without activation or about $30 cheaper than a 5040 refurb. Not saying it was necessarily a better deal than getting a 5040, just that it was cheaper if you go lifetime. That, the supposed quieter fan and the easy re-enabling of CA/IVS is what convinced me to go for it at the time.

post #204 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
QUESTION:
Wouldn't it apply the software after I unplugged it and plugged it back in?
If so did I successfully stop the new patch?
The new software is already loaded on your machine so the Wirns trick was applied too late in your case. If you happen to be watching while it wants to reboot and apply new software you can stop it as you have, but eventually on next maintanence reboot it will apply the software itself. You would have to re-image the drive and apply the Wirns solution again before the software is downloaded at this point AFAIK. So you may as well let the new software install itself and then you can see if it does disable CA/IVS and go from there. My SPECULATION is that the registry setting should block new software downloads but won't prevent installation of software that was already downloaded.

post #205 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 05:49 PM

Actually I decided to try one more force connect. This time it said I must reboot for new software (before anything else). So I gave in to the greater powers at ReplayTV.

Guess what, still 530510190

Quote:
Originally posted by moyekj
The new software is already loaded on your machine so the Wirns trick was applied too late in your case. If you happen to be watching while it wants to reboot and apply new software you can stop it as you have, but eventually on next maintanence reboot it will apply the software itself. You would have to re-image the drive and apply the Wirns solution again before the software is downloaded at this point AFAIK. So you may as well let the new software install itself and then you can see if it does disable CA/IVS and go from there. My SPECULATION is that the registry setting should block new software downloads but won't prevent installation of software that was already downloaded.
post #206 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually I decided to try one more force connect. This time it said I must reboot for new software (before anything else). So I gave in to the greater powers at ReplayTV.

Guess what, still 530510190
Interesting... so maybe the registry setting does prevent new installations as well as new software downloads - I can live with that.

post #207 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 07:15 PM
hod

I used the shellcmds and the plugin and it appears to prevent an upgrade. I did get some exceptions, but they may have to do with my config.
post #208 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 07:41 PM

One more update ... each time my unit calls the mothership it reboots to apply the software which now does nothing.

I have an old 40 gig replay drive with 530510190 on it. Can I simple apply the system partition (using RTV PATCH) onto the new big drive without deleting my shows? What will be lost (scheduled recordings, etc)?

thanks
post #209 of 655 Old 08-20-2004, 10:05 PM

I used WiRNS 0.7 with the no software update plugin and the no software update shell command on my 5504. I'm not sure if new software came across or not. At the end of the net connect it says the replay must restart in order to use new software, but the software build stays at 530510190. I guess this is no big deal? I don't know if it will reboot every night when it calls home, but I'll report back. Can an image from a 5040 with 530510190 be used in a 5504?
post #210 of 655 Old 08-21-2004, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Below is a link to the full thread someone referred to in this thread a couple of pages ago. This is JTL (WAY BACK) talking about ways to prevent a software update. Notice the comment about nightly reboots (for every net connect) if the registry setting method is used. So it looks like once your RTV is targeted to receive the new software but you have the registry setting to prevent an update, the RTV will reboot as if it got new software but won't actually install it (since there's nothing to install). So looks this workaround has a pretty bad side-effect that will eventually affect anyone trying to use this method to prevent software updates.

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...ight=getsw2.pl

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page