DVArchive and Windows Media Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a search on this topic and didn't find anything, so pardon me if this question has been answered previously. I recently installed DVArchive to access my 5508 on my network and got that working with a little help from the folks here. (Thanks again.) The computer I installed DVArchive on is a Windows Media Center PC. I noticed that in DVArchive it shows my Computer in the left-hand pane in addition to the Replay, though it says there are no shows on it when there are. (My shows are stored on a different partition of my hard drive so maybe that's why they don't show up?) This got me wondering. Does DVArchive also interface with Windows Media Center?

In case you're wondering why I'd want to use DVArchive for shows that are already on my computer, what I am primarily interested in is being able to upload shows recorded on my PC to my Replay - or stream them to my Replay - so I can watch them on my larger TV. Since the Replay is in the lviing room, the wife gets pissed if it starts recording a show when I am at work and she's trying to watch something else. (The nerve!) Thus, I have to use my Media Center PC to record many of the prime time shows I like to watch, or else I'll be living in a small apartment with no need for a network of any sort, if you get my drift.

I am guessing that Media Center and the Replay are completely incompatible even with DVArchive because of different standards or file formats or compression or something, but I thought it was worth a shot. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-25-2004, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben jammin
I am guessing that Media Center and the Replay are completely incompatible even with DVArchive because of different standards or file formats or compression or something, but I thought it was worth a shot. Thanks.
Your guess is correct. The ReplayTV will only play MPEG-2 files of a very particular format. The best way to accomplish what you want is to 1) setup WinMCE to record using MPEG-2 (if possible, if not you'll have to reencode each file) and 2) run each MPEG-2 through rtvconvert (search on RTVTOOLS for more info) to make some ReplayTV-specific tweaks to the MPEG-2. Once that is done, you would have to import the resulting files (.mpg/.evt/.ndx) into DVA in order to stream them back to your ReplayTV on demand.

BTW, DVA lists your computer in the tree because that is where it stores any shows you tell it to download/move from your ReplayTV.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #3 of 7 Old 08-25-2004, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks j.m. I have no idea if WinMCE records in MPEG-2 or not. It seems to be aimed at the non-techie crowd though, as there aren't a lot of options for tweaking it that I can find. The file type in Windows Explorer just says "Microsoft Recorded TV" and there are no file extensions, even in the detail view. I'd be surprised if I could change how it encodes things. Does anyone out there know? And will rtvconvert or another tool allow me to do the reencoding?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 03:54 AM

The Green Button is the place to go for all things WinMCE-related. If I remember corrected it stores the files in a special proprietary format. There are tips on how to convert it in this forum.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben jammin
Thanks j.m. I have no idea if WinMCE records in MPEG-2 or not. It seems to be aimed at the non-techie crowd though, as there aren't a lot of options for tweaking it that I can find. The file type in Windows Explorer just says "Microsoft Recorded TV" and there are no file extensions, even in the detail view. I'd be surprised if I could change how it encodes things. Does anyone out there know? And will rtvconvert or another tool allow me to do the reencoding?
The windows media format is mpeg2, the dvr-ms format is just a wrapper, many programs can convert between windows media payer format and stand mpeg2. some free , better ones like cyberlink powerdirector 3 cost money. Conversion takes just a few minutes as there is no reincoding.

You could use rtv tools and you may get a file you can stream back to a replaytv. but I think what a lot of us do is better. and that is to stream to a "thin Client", I find the following to be quite good.

Go video / gateway connected dvd player

dlink media player

You could also us a modded xbox, but the fan tends to be a bit noisey.

If you want to watch the streams on another pc or a laptop, set up a simple apache/tomcat server and use vlc to watch the streams.

webmaster@distributed-home.com
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wg21
You could also us a modded xbox, but the fan tends to be a bit noisey.
FWIW, once you have modded your Xbox, you can easily speed up/slow down the fan through the software (e.g. a dashboard) or the BIOS. Of course, you may run into heat issues by doing so. Personally, I don't find the Xbox's fan to be a bother at all. Then again, I also don't mind the fan and blue light on my older 5040s. Moreover, since one would most likely turn the Xbox on/off as needed (unlike the ReplayTV, which is really always on), fan noise doesn't seem to be much of an issue since you probably won't even be able to hear it while playing a show/game/MP3 etc. The price and versatility of a modded Xbox simply can't be beat, and I personally wouldn't give that up for a slightly quieter alternative.

j.m.'s ReplayTV Tools
Home of WinDVA, the Win32 DVArchive launcher
post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2004, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. If I ever get out of this #@$%$^ office and get some free time I will try these suggestions out.
Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page