MediaMVP Media Center Project - sub $100 true thin client? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 642 Old 02-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Member
 
honeycut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both my boxes show Firmware REV 1.0 too.
Have you tried snooping your lan with a tool like ethereal?
What I see during my boot process:
When power cycling the box the first thing I will see is a text box at the
bottom of the screen "checking ethernet connectivity"
Next it goes to "Contacting DHCP Server"
If a DHCP server does not respond within about 8 seconds it goes to
"Contacting MediaMVP Boot Server".
honeycut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 642 Old 02-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Member
 
honeycut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by oldyellow

I did have to make couple of changes from the dongle.bin.mvpmc.conf file shown in the howto. Here are the listings in my config file. I commented out the entries for set the timezone and mount the share.

rdate -s 192.168.0.103
mvpmc -f /etc/helvB18.pcf -R "ip=discover"

I'm guessing you live in the CST timezone?
That's what we default the SW to since the person that started the project
lives in MN.
Anyone not in the CST timezone needs to set it or all the show times will
be off.
honeycut is offline  
post #93 of 642 Old 02-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
oldyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by John Honeycutt
I'm guessing you live in the CST timezone?
That's what we default the SW to since the person that started the project
lives in MN.
Anyone not in the CST timezone needs to set it or all the show times will
be off.

That explains it. BTW, many thanks for the effort you have put forth!!
oldyellow is offline  
post #94 of 642 Old 02-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Member
 
Art Doyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by John Honeycutt
Hello,
MediaMVP ReplayTV support is for real. I should know since I'm the developer ;-)
Been working on it for about 3 months now.
I've been holding off on announcing it since it's not quite ready for primetime.
What it does so far is:
-Runs SSDP discovery and discovers all replaytv's & dvarchives on the lan.
-If dvarchive is present it does enough handshaking to kick dvrachive into 5K mode.
-Once devices are discovered it presents a menu of devices to select.
-When a device is selected it pulls down the guide snapshot, parses it,
and displays a list of shows/episodes.
When a show is highlited all the movie/episode details are shown.
Selecting a show starts it playing.
You can presently pause, ffwd, and bring up an onscreen display while playing.

I only own RTV5K's so to work on 4K stuff I kicked dvarchive into 4k mode.
It seems to correctly parse a 4K guide from dvarchive but hasn't been tested with a real 4k
unit. (Anyone want to do some 4K testing?)

Major things missing:
-Parsing the .ndx file, and seeking. I hope to implement 28sec-fwd, 7sec-back, and
jump seek functionality by the end of this month.
-rtvlib functionality and menus to allow deleting a show & resuming play from the
last point viewed.

One last note is that mediamvp requires a dhcp server & tftpserver to boot the load.
Our development/build environment is linux based. I use my linux box to boot the mvp.
I understand there are some free windows based dhcp & tftp servers though for
those without a linux box.

Once I complete "Major things missing" I plan on creating mvpmc replaytv webpage
with configuration details, screen shots, etc... This will probably happen around early
Febuary.

Hopefully some of you will find it useful.
Regards,
John...


Thank you! Thank you!

These MVPs are great - they are the perfect match for our Replay "collectors".
Art Doyle is offline  
post #95 of 642 Old 02-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add me to the list of users of the great MVPMC software using the Windows method.

I'm tempted to buy two more Media MVPs one for the kitchen and one for the tot's room.

Outstanding.

Even without the MVPMC software patch, heavy DV archive users can use the original Hauppage SW as supplied. They even have internet radio and DiVX transcoding for those who have faster server machines.

This Media MVP is easily my best A/V purchase since my networked replays. The MVPMC software is delicious icing on the cake.

Come on in, the Radiation's fine!
Marcus is offline  
post #96 of 642 Old 02-28-2005, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am pretty psyched about this. I should be getting one next week. One of the best parts about this is that it is also a frontend for MythTV. If ReplayTV goes the way of the dodo I will probably be moving on to MythTV. So this is "future-proof" for me.
Scyber is offline  
post #97 of 642 Old 03-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Scyber
I am pretty psyched about this. I should be getting one next week. One of the best parts about this is that it is also a frontend for MythTV. If ReplayTV goes the way of the dodo I will probably be moving on to MythTV. So this is "future-proof" for me.

I'm a second wave ReplayTV user; buying my 2020 when they were released. (Currently on loan to my mom for her soaps)
I've weathered one perhaps two heart stopping moments when I thought the service was going to be terminated. However, it's still running.
It was a tough decision to buy the refurb 5040's when they were the cheap DVR rage but I had faith. SO, I'll use my Replays till the guides stop or they die from a non-hard drive related problem. I even have hope that if the service is terminated that someone will find an alternate solution which allows us to continue using the DVRs.

That being said; I'm itching to buy a PVR-350 from Hauppage and run Myth TV in concert with my two 5040's. Should ReplayTV die, I'd be unhappy but I would have an alternate ready to take over with MVPMC loaded thin clients on every analog tv in the house.

After this???

Next step would be perhaps a Roku HD1000 for a thin client on the HD tube set and a QAM HD tuner for my PC.

Come on in, the Radiation's fine!
Marcus is offline  
post #98 of 642 Old 03-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
rkramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just go a mediamvp in tonight, had it up and running in about an hour or so. setup isn't too painful, other then the fact most hardware routers don't allow for a dhcp skip list, so I had to disable dhcp on my hardware router and instead run dhcp off my server, not something I wanted to do but I can live with it...

seems to work great so far!
rkramer is offline  
post #99 of 642 Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by rkramer
just go a mediamvp in tonight, had it up and running in about an hour or so. setup isn't too painful,


Yes, quite quick and easy.
Quote:


other then the fact most hardware routers don't allow for a dhcp skip list, so I had to disable dhcp on my hardware router and instead run dhcp off my server, not something I wanted to do but I can live with it...

I only run the required servers when booting the MVPMC from a power off reset. The build is very stable; not needing a reload in over a week. As soon as the MVPMC load is complete I shut down the services of DHCP/TFTP/Time Server etc. Simply, I do not run any services for MVPMC other than available Replays and the occasional run of DVArchive.
My setup:
I run most of my media devices on a dedicated switch (a spare router/switch) which is then connected to the active router/firewall with a crossover cable. I used the caveman method to disable router's DHCP by simply unplugging the crossover cable for the duration of the software load.
An interesting note: I reloaded the original Media MVP software to play with the new version and later switched back to the MVPMC without disabling DHCP on the router or unplugging. I assume that the NT services I run for MVPMC responded to the request before the hardware router was even aware that the MVP was online. Perhaps disabling the DHCP server on the hardware router is only necessary should the tftp boot instruction not be received by the MVP.
Please do not try any of my ill conceived methods as they are not based on any technical merit or experience other than "dumb luck."


Quote:


seems to work great so far!

Excellent!

Marc

Come on in, the Radiation's fine!
Marcus is offline  
post #100 of 642 Old 03-10-2005, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
plyons10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by dewolfxy
NewEgg has it for $83.50 + $1.99 shipping here, saving the rebate troubles. And you'll probably come out ahead after the tax at Circuit City, as long as you don't live where NewEgg is (CA I think).

My local Radio Shack (Norwalk, CT) had a couple of these units for $79.

I wonder if I should head back there this weekend. I would have grabbed them for $50 -- just to have if I ever felt like hacking around with.

Peter
plyons10 is offline  
post #101 of 642 Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Senior Member
 
rkramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


An interesting note: I reloaded the original Media MVP software to play with the new version and later switched back to the MVPMC without disabling DHCP on the router or unplugging. I assume that the NT services I run for MVPMC responded to the request before the hardware router was even aware that the MVP was online. Perhaps disabling the DHCP server on the hardware router is only necessary should the tftp boot instruction not be received by the MVP.


without getting too in depth, the mediamvp sends out a dhcp on a high port number first, IIRC 16,000 something, and then falls back to standard dhcp if it doesn't get anything... the mediamvp software responds to this high port, so normally the rest of your network is never affected. This would be possible with the aftermarket firmware also if someone developed a dhcp server that would listen on a non-standard port. (dhcpd on linux probably is capable of this, i'm just talking windows here...)

I did find a good solution though, my main router (linky wrt54g) is based on linux, and you can customize your iptables rules. I just set that to block dhcp access to the mediamvp's mac address, and then set up turbo dhcp to only hand out to the media's mac. the network is perfectly happy with two dhcp's in this config, with all machines going to the linux and the mvp going to the turbodhcp server.
rkramer is offline  
post #102 of 642 Old 03-11-2005, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Scyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up my MediaMVP from Radio Shack (on clearance for $79.99). Can't wait to get home and try this out.
Scyber is offline  
post #103 of 642 Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally got it up and running last night (been busy and it took me awhile to switch me network to static IPs). Was working pretty well. My wife was already asleep so I didn't get to test the audio, but the video looked good!

One thing was that I couldn't get the automatic replay detection option to work. I kept gettting a "network is unreachable" error. I had to specify each Replay's IP address. Not a huge issue, but it is a little annoying.
Scyber is offline  
post #104 of 642 Old 03-18-2005, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by plyons10
My local Radio Shack (Norwalk, CT) had a couple of these units for $79.

I wonder if I should head back there this weekend. I would have grabbed them for $50 -- just to have if I ever felt like hacking around with.

You might have to call around, but I had little trouble locating as many units as I needed all at Radioshack for the clearance price of $79 bucks.

They don't show up on the RS internet catalog. I assume this is because they are on clearance and once they are gone, there might not be any restocking orders.


Marc

Come on in, the Radiation's fine!
Marcus is offline  
post #105 of 642 Old 03-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Scyber
So I finally got it up and running last night (been busy and it took me awhile to switch me network to static IPs). Was working pretty well. My wife was already asleep so I didn't get to test the audio, but the video looked good!

All of my recordings are in medium and standard. I have yet to attempt a HIGH stream fearing bandwidth issues. (I normally don't record in HIGH anyway)

I've only used the "gadget" on 27" and smaller televisions. I can't comment on quality for larger screens. PQ is equal to watching from a Replay IMHO.
Quote:


One thing was that I couldn't get the automatic replay detection option to work. I kept getting a "network is unreachable" error. I had to specify each Replay's IP address. Not a huge issue, but it is a little annoying.

Odd indeed. However, I've had the opposite. On two occasions my two replay's would loose connection to each other but the MVPMC could still see both and play back with no problems.

Lucky so far!

Come on in, the Radiation's fine!
Marcus is offline  
post #106 of 642 Old 03-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by rkramer
without getting too in depth, the mediamvp sends out a dhcp on a high port number first, IIRC 16,000 something, and then falls back to standard dhcp if it doesn't get anything... the mediamvp software responds to this high port, so normally the rest of your network is never affected. This would be possible with the aftermarket firmware also if someone developed a dhcp server that would listen on a non-standard port. (dhcpd on linux probably is capable of this, i'm just talking windows here...)

Ahh... good to know why. Thanks for the details.
Quote:



I did find a good solution though, my main router (linky wrt54g) is based on linux, and you can customize your iptables rules. I just set that to block dhcp access to the mediamvp's mac address, and then set up turbo dhcp to only hand out to the media's mac. the network is perfectly happy with two dhcp's in this config, with all machines going to the linux and the mvp going to the turbodhcp server.

Very interesting. I understand there are some people that have hacked the WGT634u from Netgear but I've not read up much on it and don't know if the same things can be done as you describe but with google at my fingertips, I'll try to find out. Thanks for the idea!

Marc

Come on in, the Radiation's fine!
Marcus is offline  
post #107 of 642 Old 03-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Member
 
honeycut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Scyber

One thing was that I couldn't get the automatic replay detection option to work. I kept gettting a "network is unreachable" error. I had to specify each Replay's IP address. Not a huge issue, but it is a little annoying. [/b]

Did you setup the gateways parameter for dhcpturbo?
standard option #3 "gateways"

I know it shouldn't be needed but the one of the system calls the ReplayTV discover code makes will fail with a "network unreachable" error if the gateway isn't configured.
Also, you can use ethereal to snoop the dhcp responce and verify that it is what you expect.
honeycut is offline  
post #108 of 642 Old 03-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Member
 
honeycut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by Marcus
All of my recordings are in medium and standard. I have yet to attempt a HIGH stream fearing bandwidth issues. (I normally don't record in HIGH anyway)

I haven't had any problems with keeping the buffers full for high res shows.
I also record most of my shows in medium/standard quality.
I do have 5 recordings I use for testing high res though.
They seem to play fine except for one part in one show that hangs .
I'm guessing this is due to the non-standard mpeg stream.
Seems alot of video editing SW also has problems with RTV highres mpegs but do fine with medium/standard.
FYI: You can monitor how full the demuxer is using the OSD.
While playing a show press
. Select "On Screen Display" then select "Demux Info"
The blank button between mute & full brings up the OSD.
honeycut is offline  
post #109 of 642 Old 03-20-2005, 05:32 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
madpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 14,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have the RS catalog number for the MVP? My local RS was fairly clueless.

Thanks,
MP

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
madpoet is offline  
post #110 of 642 Old 03-20-2005, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
25-3215 According to radioshack.com.
Scyber is offline  
post #111 of 642 Old 03-20-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
plyons10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Madpoet... where in CT are you located?

The RS on Route 1 in Norwalk had a couple of these when I was there last week.

Peter
plyons10 is offline  
post #112 of 642 Old 03-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Newbie
 
jimmyswimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by oldyellow
the real desire is to have the ability to boot mvpmc without the aid of applications that run on your desktop.

I have been following this discussion and I agree with this statement. In fact, I would like to not even need to turn my computer ON in the first place! But that's just crazy, right?

If I understand it properly, I need...

1. A DHCP server
2. A TFTP server with the capacity to hold a ~2 MB dongle.bin
3. An NTP server

Am I just dreaming, or does this exist already in Linksys form? Like a WRT54GS, a wireless router, with the OpenWRT software, we already have the first two. Anyone out there already work with that stuff? I'll be glad to help out...

Jim
jimmyswimmy is offline  
post #113 of 642 Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
oldyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by jimmyswimmy
If I understand it properly, I need...

1. A DHCP server
2. A TFTP server with the capacity to hold a ~2 MB dongle.bin
3. An NTP server

Am I just dreaming, or does this exist already in Linksys form? Like a WRT54GS, a wireless router, with the OpenWRT software, we already have the first two. Anyone out there already work with that stuff? I'll be glad to help out...

You should be able to use any NTP server on the internet (RFC 868 protocol support is needed). Since this discussion I now use the Replay's Time Server (ntp-production.replaytv.net) to sync the time on my DVArchive server with Replay. I don't know if this supports RFC 868 or not, but it should be easy enough to find out.
oldyellow is offline  
post #114 of 642 Old 03-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
oldyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by jimmyswimmy
Like a WRT54GS, a wireless router, with the OpenWRT software, we already have the first two

Quote:


Originally posted by oldyellow
You should be able to use any NTP server on the internet (RFC 868 protocol support is needed)

I tried using Replay's server (ntp-production.replaytv.net / 192.43.244.18) and it did not work. However, I did successfully synced my mvpmc time to time.nist.gov (192.43.244.18). So, if you can get dhcp/tftp from an always on router, and have internet access, you should be good to go. But, after looking at the OpenWRT site, I am wondering if OpenWRT already has a tftp server, or is this a package that has to be added? I did not see any specific information on this. The following is taken from the OpenWRT site.
Quote:


Specifically, the core provides:

* network initalization (ethernet and wireless)
* firewalling
* dhcp client / server
* caching dns server (with hooks to dhcp to lookup dhcp client hostnames)
* telnet server and busybox environment

That's it. Everything else (ssh, http administration, etc) can be done in the form of a package on the jffs2 filesystem; openwrt's goal is to provide a minimal base which can be expanded through the use of software packages.

oldyellow is offline  
post #115 of 642 Old 03-22-2005, 12:16 AM
 
choli0090's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I was thinking about trying this out, but I did have a couple of questions.

1) Can you stream video files that are on other computers in the house, or does it need to come from the computer that is acting like the "server" Another words if computer 2 is the server, can I stream from computer 1

2) Can you have the listing of shows limited to a particular drive &/or folder on the computer

3) Is there a way to make it so that certain options are not available (like delete) If I can make this work, this more then likely I would give this to my nephew & even though he hasn't done it yet, I could see him accidently deleting a show

Thanks
choli0090 is offline  
post #116 of 642 Old 03-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by John Honeycutt
I haven't had any problems with keeping the buffers full for high res shows.
I also record most of my shows in medium/standard quality.
I do have 5 recordings I use for testing high res though.
They seem to play fine except for one part in one show that hangs .
I'm guessing this is due to the non-standard mpeg stream.
Seems alot of video editing SW also has problems with RTV highres mpegs but do fine with medium/standard.
FYI: You can monitor how full the demuxer is using the OSD.
While playing a show press
. Select "On Screen Display" then select "Demux Info"
The blank button between mute & full brings up the OSD.

Yeppers, I found the directions for those discussed in the mail list. I played around with them and removed them from the OSD leaving the progress bar, title, description, and running time when the OSD is called. BTW: Jumping to a specified minute sure makes up for not having the last saved view point when resuming video.

One thing I need to do is learn how to set up an NFS server under windows or figure out another way to connect to my shared folders with the config file. I've been reading and researching for the file sharing solution but my tiny mind does not seem to grasp the concept of mounting windows directories and file shares hosted on NT2K machines using the mini linux running on the MVP.

I've seen an example of how to mount a windows XP media share but I've not spied any NT2k examples.

Anyhow, just being able to use my replay 5040s and dvarchive is fantastic enough for the time being.

Heck, I think I'm going to make another round at a couple of Radio Shack stores to find one more unit.

Come on in, the Radiation's fine!
Marcus is offline  
post #117 of 642 Old 03-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
oldyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originaly posted by choli0090
I was thinking about trying this out, but I did have a couple of questions.

From your questions, I am not sure if you are asking about the "stock" MediaMVP or the mvpmc enhancement (which this thread is mostly about). I will attempt to answer both.

Quote:
1) Can you stream video files that are on other computers in the house, or does it need to come from the computer that is acting like the "server" Another words if computer 2 is the server, can I stream from computer 1

The "stock" MediaMVP can only stream files that are on the server. But, with the mvpmc, there is no "server". It can stream files directly from a ReplayTV or MythTV box (although, I guess that would make them the server), once it is booted up. This only needs to be done if power is lost, or the system hangs. It can see and stream from multiple boxes. All references to a "server" in this thread refer to the services necessary to boot the device.

Quote:
2) Can you have the listing of shows limited to a particular drive &/or folder on the computer

The "stock" MediaMVP shows a listing media files on the server. It can see multiple folders for any supported media type. As stated above, it cannot see other computers (unless the other computer has a drive mounted on the server as a shared drive). The mvpmc can shows a listing of all shows on any Replay or Myth box on your network.

Quote:
3) Is there a way to make it so that certain options are not available (like delete) If I can make this work, this more then likely I would give this to my nephew & even though he hasn't done it yet, I could see him accidently deleting a show

The "stock" MediaMVP cannot delete files. However there is a way to make it so that it can. I don't know if it is easy remove options (like delete) from the mvmpc. It definitely can delete Replay files.
oldyellow is offline  
post #118 of 642 Old 03-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Member
 
honeycut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
BTW: Jumping to a specified minute sure makes up for not having the last saved view point when resuming video.

Saving the last view point is on my list of things to do after comercial skip.
Hopefully in about 6 weeks.

Quote:

One thing I need to do is learn how to set up an NFS server under windows or figure out another way to connect to my shared folders with the config file. I've been reading and researching for the file sharing solution but my tiny mind does not seem to grasp the concept of mounting windows directories and file shares hosted on NT2K machines using the mini linux running on the MVP.
I've seen an example of how to mount a windows XP media share but I've not spied any NT2k examples.

I checked in some updates this past weekend that get the CIFS streaming
performance up to par for Windows servers. (Verified w/ WXP-Pro)
You will need to get a mvpmc binary from the DailyBuilds download page.
Also, updated the Windows-HOWTO with a "Configuring a CIFS server"
section.
CIFS shares are supported by NT2K but I don't have a 2K box so haven't been able to test it.
I think the issue for 2K is how to setup windows & mvp to make the share authentication happy.
Found this link on enabling the W2K guest account:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q258938

If you can't mount the share with the guest account then maybe create
a special windows userid.
Pass the info with mount.cifs as follows:
-o user=,password=,domain=,rsize=34000

Let me know your results. If you find a recipe that works I'll update the howto.
If not, I'll try to get a userid verified share mounted from WXP. (should be the same for W2K).
honeycut is offline  
post #119 of 642 Old 03-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
jimmyswimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They use something called ipkg, I think, to package little things. One is called tftp-hpa, at http://nthill.free.fr/openwrt/tracke...ow.php?id=1315 and I think that might do it. Suffice it to say that I haven't tried at all.

Actually at first I was thinking of the native TFTP server in the router... duh, the one which accepts the binary firmware upload... not a brilliant idea!

Well, this may have seemed like a better idea in the beginning. I'll probably try it out anyway (and turn my router into a brick) after I run wire to my basement.
jimmyswimmy is offline  
post #120 of 642 Old 03-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
oldyellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Originally posted by jimmyswimmy
One is called tftp-hpa, at http://nthill.free.fr/openwrt/track...how.php?id=1315 and I think that might do it

I didn't see that tftp package when I browsed the site of available packages. I don't see why I wouldn't work. As long as the router has the capacity to hold dongle.bin.mvpmc and dongle.bin.mvpmc.config, it should work.
oldyellow is offline  
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off