AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replay show to Divx...

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bshor 
#1 ·
I wanted to download some of my shows and then convert them to divx and then transfer them to my xbox so that I can watch them at work. Could someone tell me a program that I can use to convert the replay show to divx? Thanks.

#2 ·
Use the SEARCH function - I've read a few DivX threads recently...

#4 ·
I convert my stuff to XviD rather then DivX since it's free, about equal quality, and it encodes faster then DivX.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/autogk.htm

I've just recently started switching to Nero Digital, which has surprisingly better quality. It plays back on my Xbox with XBMC. Nero Digital is included if you purchase the full version of Nero Ultra. You use the Nero Recode program to convert stuff to Nero Digital format.

I highly recommend you use reVue + RTV Tools 5k to process the replay MPG first and remove commercials, use the save to MPG. Here is a guide for reVue if you need it:

http://revue.sourceforge.net/readme.html

#5 ·
djdementia,

I have a couple of questions:

1- On the doom9 tutorial, they tell us to use dvddecrypter. It only seems to want to work with actuall DVD media, not a file downloaded from RTV via dvarchive. How do I get around that?

2- Can you give me more help on how to proceed after I've converted the file to nero digital format.

All I'm really trying to do is very simply, quickly and crudely convert these cooking shows my mom has me record for her on my 5040 so that she can watch them on her laptop. she's not going to watch them on tv so maybe someone can recommend a faster way to do this.

Best Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdementia
I convert my stuff to XviD rather then DivX since it's free, about equal quality, and it encodes faster then DivX.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/autogk.htm

I've just recently started switching to Nero Digital, which has surprisingly better quality. It plays back on my Xbox with XBMC. Nero Digital is included if you purchase the full version of Nero Ultra. You use the Nero Recode program to convert stuff to Nero Digital format.

I highly recommend you use reVue + RTV Tools 5k to process the replay MPG first and remove commercials, use the save to MPG. Here is a guide for reVue if you need it:

http://revue.sourceforge.net/readme.html

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by reapur
...All I'm really trying to do is very simply, quickly and crudely convert these cooking shows my mom has me record for her on my 5040 so that she can watch them on her laptop. she's not going to watch them on tv so maybe someone can recommend a faster way to do this.

#7 ·
Quote:
djdementia,

I have a couple of questions:

1- On the doom9 tutorial, they tell us to use dvddecrypter. It only seems to want to work with actuall DVD media, not a file downloaded from RTV via dvarchive. How do I get around that?

2- Can you give me more help on how to proceed after I've converted the file to nero digital format.

All I'm really trying to do is very simply, quickly and crudely convert these cooking shows my mom has me record for her on my 5040 so that she can watch them on her laptop. she's not going to watch them on tv so maybe someone can recommend a faster way to do this.

Best Regards,
There's no need to convert the files at all, in fact you'd be better off leaving them intact with the associated info files. I assume you're using DVArchive pull them off. Just copy the show files, along with the info files (.ndx and such) to a DVD, you don't even need to edit out the commercials. Then your mom can watch them on her laptop with the CA modified version of VLC .

#8 ·
Correct, if storage / transfer time is not an issue I would just play back the MPG files directly. You may need DVD playback software installed on the Laptop to play back MPEG2, such as a commerical program like PowerDVD. Once you get that installed it'll put a codec on your PC that allows dozens of different media players to playback the file. My favorite for playing back Replay TV files is reVue , as it supports the commercial skipping features:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/revue

I recommend copying all files associated with the video (the .EVT is required for commercial skipping, the rest of the files are just in case you want to transfer to another PC / dv archive later (the files are small anyway).

I've been having trouble figuring out how to use Nero Digital from a file based app (instead of a DVD). I'm not sure if that feature is supported. I'm still experimenting myself on the method I like the best. So far I really hate giving up on Nero Digital, the quality is absolutely stunning. I couldn't tell the difference between a full 1.5 hour movie compressed with Nero Digital all the way down to 300Mb and the original 2+Gb DVD file.

I'm testing a bunch of programs still, FlaskMPEG, AutoGK, Nero Recode, and SUPER@. So far I haven't found any that I really like, they all seem to have their pluses and minuses.

#9 ·
Quote:
djdementia,

You can skip the portion about DVDdecrypter (unless you are ripping a DVD to your harddrive). after you have downloaded the RTV mpg file to your computers hard drive, you just use autoGK.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurhurdler
You can skip the portion about DVDdecrypter (unless you are ripping a DVD to your harddrive). after you have downloaded the RTV mpg file to your computers hard drive, you just use autoGK.
Correct, just follow the AutoGK portion of the tutorial, ignore the DVD Decrypter portion. All you really do is launch AutoGK, and choose the input file. In advanced settings choose XviD or DivX (whichever you prefer, I prefer XviD), set the audio type (I recommend VBR MP3 - for "cooking" shows 96kbit should be fine, for something with better quality audio like a fully produced show like CSI I'd choose 128kbit or 160kbit), then click Add Job, and Start.

#12 ·
I've been using AutoGK to encode Replay MPEG's to Xvid format. It looks quite nice. I noticed the resolution changed from 720x480 to 720x544. I know this has something to do with square pixels, aspect ratios, etc., but for the life of me, everytime I figure that stuff out, I forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.